Author Topic: Jake Williamson's stock yugioh robotics  (Read 3939 times)

Offline Jakewilliamson

• Founder of Yugioh Robotics
  • Middleweight
  • Rep: 0
  • Fully Charged!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Jake Williamson's stock yugioh robotics
« on: April 08, 2016, 08:30:50 AM »
Been playing stock for some and its quite fun, you my wonder why I like my robots named after the yugioh monsters, spells and traps:

So on topic, heres Sangan:

As for skinning, Gimp is the only option because windows can't let me download paint'net!

Offline Gauche Suede

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Jake Williamson's stock yugioh robotics
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 09:05:08 AM »
Before we continue, there's some 3 basic things that needs fixing :
1. You need a burst wedge (SnapperII/Snapper2/DDT + small wedge/emergency wedge elongated with extenders) in the bot otherwise your not can't get under anything.
2. Grannies give out too much ground clearance, switch to either rubber wheels or shinies if your hurting for weight.
3. While it looks really cool, Y-connectors are bad on popups as it gimps your damage potential, instead use 2 round extenders.

With that out of the way, you can go 2 ways with your bot :
1. If you wanna go the traditional route, you need to put some external armor on the bot, you can either use ramplates/casters/bracket wedges/battleaxes/mowerblades/snowplows or you can get creative and setup a weapon rack that'll let you do some extra damage while still providing good coverage.
2. If you wanna go the N00bbot route, just make the biggest chassis you can field (like what you have now but even bigger) and just focus on the popup weapon without worrying about external armor. The reason this isn't suicidal is that the bigger your chassis is the lower your bot gets compared to a smaller chassis that has the same height on the height slider, so you'll have a bigger chance on making spinners completely whiff their blades against you. Plus, bigger chassis = higher chassis health.

Oh, and what armor do you have on the not ?

Offline Jakewilliamson

• Middleweight
  • Fully Charged!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 09:10:18 AM »
Before we continue, there's some 3 basic things that needs fixing :
1. You need a burst wedge (SnapperII/Snapper2/DDT + small wedge/emergency wedge elongated with extenders) in the bot otherwise your not can't get under anything.
2. Grannies give out too much ground clearance, switch to either rubber wheels or shinies if your hurting for weight.
3. While it looks really cool, Y-connectors are bad on popups as it gimps your damage potential, instead use 2 round extenders.

With that out of the way, you can go 2 ways with your bot :
1. If you wanna go the traditional route, you need to put some external armor on the bot, you can either use ramplates/casters/bracket wedges/battleaxes/mowerblades/snowplows or you can get creative and setup a weapon rack that'll let you do some extra damage while still providing good coverage.
2. If you wanna go the N00bbot route, just make the biggest chassis you can field (like what you have now but even bigger) and just focus on the popup weapon without worrying about external armor. The reason this isn't suicidal is that the bigger your chassis is the lower your bot gets compared to a smaller chassis that has the same height on the height slider, so you'll have a bigger chance on making spinners completely whiff their blades against you. Plus, bigger chassis = higher chassis health.

Oh, and what armor do you have on the not ?

Cheers Suede, and armour? DSA(double strenge aluminium).

Offline kill343gs

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 09:26:09 AM »
You can actually do some decent skinning in MS Paint if you take the time to do it right.

For once the mods did something right
#MakeGTMGreatAgain

Offline Fracture

• Super Mega Hyper Giga
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
  • how about i shove my big dog up your hanky panky
  • Awards GTMCS2 Divison Winner BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 09:36:35 AM »
Pretty good for your first! I agree with everything Gauche said, and want to add that you are at a weird place in terms of weight; either go for 249.0 or 399.0 if you want to improve the bot to its full potential.

How many batteries does it have? Might be a weird question, but in Stock you can stack components together so what appears to be 1 black might actually be 2 blacks. DDTs require 312.5a and drive motors require 100a which adds to 825a for this bot; black gives 800a, Nifty gives 400a, and small gives 100a so at the very least this bot needs one black and one small battery. But even for MW I think 2 DDTs is above-average for weapons; I would do either 2 Snapper2s (green) or 1 DDT for MW in which case a black battery is sufficient, and either 1 Snapper2 or 1 DDT for LW. Then you would need a Nifty for the Snapper2 or a black for the DDT.

In terms of choosing between armour and a shallow wedge, I think armour is more intuitive for a new builder and looks much better.

Offline Jakewilliamson

• Middleweight
  • Fully Charged!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 09:49:31 AM »
Pretty good for your first! I agree with everything Gauche said, and want to add that you are at a weird place in terms of weight; either go for 249.0 or 399.0 if you want to improve the bot to its full potential.

How many batteries does it have? Might be a weird question, but in Stock you can stack components together so what appears to be 1 black might actually be 2 blacks. DDTs require 312.5a and drive motors require 100a which adds to 825a for this bot; black gives 800a, Nifty gives 400a, and small gives 100a so at the very least this bot needs one black and one small battery. But even for MW I think 2 DDTs is above-average for weapons; I would do either 2 Snapper2s (green) or 1 DDT for MW in which case a black battery is sufficient, and either 1 Snapper2 or 1 DDT for LW. Then you would need a Nifty for the Snapper2 or a black for the DDT.

In terms of choosing between armour and a shallow wedge, I think armour is more intuitive for a new builder and looks much better.
Cheers Fracture, this will definitely help when im powering it.

You can actually do some decent skinning in MS Paint if you take the time to do it right.
I dunno, Gimp and MS is what I use.

Offline Jakewilliamson

• Middleweight
  • Fully Charged!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 10:01:59 AM »
Took some advices and sangan improved, plus that will help out when facing devil!

DSA is the armor by the way.

EDIT: Looking at the sangan yugioh card now, it needs brown fur.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 10:08:46 AM »
doesn't look too bad. if you want to get far in stock, you'll want to learn some of the really basic glitches now, like stacking and the eFFe glitch (both are really simple, don't worry). As for the bot, a wider, longer front to the chassis is never a bad thing for popups. Try the psycolone popup challenge, which is 3 DDTs (1 for wedge, 2 for weapons), 2 HP ztecs for drive (with rubber wheels) and 2 stacked black batteries for power.

A great resource for beginner builders is this page.

You should also check out the DSL and Ironforge mods, and see which you like the most. Stock isn't for everyone, it takes a lot of patience and weird glitches to make a good bot, and often if you mess 1 thing up you have to start all over.
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline Jakewilliamson

• Middleweight
  • Fully Charged!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 10:17:58 AM »
doesn't look too bad. if you want to get far in stock, you'll want to learn some of the really basic glitches now, like stacking and the eFFe glitch (both are really simple, don't worry). As for the bot, a wider, longer front to the chassis is never a bad thing for popups. Try the psycolone popup challenge, which is 3 DDTs (1 for wedge, 2 for weapons), 2 HP ztecs for drive (with rubber wheels) and 2 stacked black batteries for power.

A great resource for beginner builders is this page.

You should also check out the DSL and Ironforge mods, and see which you like the most. Stock isn't for everyone, it takes a lot of patience and weird glitches to make a good bot, and often if you mess 1 thing up you have to start all over.

Cheers for beetlebros website badger, hope it will my builds for the future.

Offline Fracture

• Super Mega Hyper Giga
  • Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2016, 10:42:11 AM »
Nicely done. Not much more to recommend, as I said one black will be sufficient for this weapon setup which allows you to shrink the back of the chassis (but keep the front wide). Extra weight can be used on armour, shallower and/or wider chassis wedge, or more weapons. Check out the BeetleBros website or Sage's videos in Tutorials and Tips to learn the eFFe glitch and rotate those razors to all face the same way, it will be very useful for all kinds of bots. And popups should start with the weapons under the chassis surface

Offline Thrackerzod

• Sparkle up your day!
  • Rep: 10
  • The distant future... the year 2000...
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2016, 10:44:09 AM »
which is 3 DDTs (1 for wedge, 2 for weapons)

Are DDTs good for wedges?  I thought that Snapper2s made better wedges, since they're closer to the ground.

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 10:51:41 AM »
what i would do is raise the chassis one tick and mouny the snappers vertical and closer together. another thing is you can trim down the rear where the drive is and then use it to increase the width and shallowness of the front.

Are DDTs good for wedges?  I thought that Snapper2s made better wedges, since they're closer to the ground.

they arent worth the extra weight. psy popups suck anyways

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2016, 10:55:00 AM »
what i would do is raise the chassis one tick and mouny the snappers vertical and closer together. another thing is you can trim down the rear where the drive is and then use it to increase the width and shallowness of the front.

they arent worth the extra weight. psy popups suck anyways
By modern standards, yes, but it's a good learning exercise in empty chassis space and basic glitches. You can't expect the guy to be making god-tier bots not 2 pages into his showcase.
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2016, 11:08:56 AM »
also jake since you want to enter it into back to the roots i'll give you a pro tip/loophole:
use a blue servo for the wedge instead of a snapper since popups arent allowed to use burst wedges. from what i've seen servo wedges arent even that bad and its way better than no wedge

Offline Jakewilliamson

• Middleweight
  • Fully Charged!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2016, 11:37:04 AM »
also jake since you want to enter it into back to the roots i'll give you a pro tip/loophole:
use a blue servo for the wedge instead of a snapper since popups arent allowed to use burst wedges. from what i've seen servo wedges arent even that bad and its way better than no wedge

thanks 09, this will do the trick!

Offline Jakewilliamson

• Middleweight
  • Fully Charged!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2016, 12:14:32 PM »
Follow advices from 09 and heres sangan now:

Clearly because some tournerys have few popups these days.

Offline Mystic2000

• Utter Edgelord
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Used to suck at IRL, probably still does.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2016, 12:14:38 PM »
i actually completely overlooked this loophole, damn you Chris....
Robocraft Username: Bob5768
PSN Username: Bob5768

Offline Fracture

• Super Mega Hyper Giga
  • Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2016, 12:23:31 PM »
Pretty decent, still underpowered though. You have enough weight to add a small battery beside the black (looks like it would fit) as well as add a razor to each of the DDTs using eFFe. It really shouldn't be very intimidating, just hover a weapon as if you're going to attach it to the extender at a specific point, fire the DDT, and click to attach in mid-air.

My personal preference would still be 2xSnapper2 with a wider+shallower wedge and/or armour though

Offline Jakewilliamson

• Middleweight
  • Fully Charged!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2016, 12:33:45 PM »
And I summon sangan improved!

To be summoned at back to the roots.

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2016, 12:38:17 PM »
actually, for back to the roots, you can't use effe and you can't have more than 4 razors. so you will have to remove 2 razors. might as well throw another pink in there.