Author Topic: Hi5's Stocktacular Bots  (Read 5895 times)

Offline Hi5er

• GTM Member Since 2010
  • Middleweight
  • Rep: 0
  • Where creativity meets low expectations.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Hi5's Stocktacular Bots
« on: June 14, 2016, 05:48:34 PM »
Hi guys, I thought I would create a showcase page so I can show off some of my "comeback" creations if you will.

From my welcome page you will know that I haven't picked up the theoretical screwdriver since 2010... So let's see what the ol mouse clickers can muster up...

Project #1 (Utilizing a "Drum" Style Weapon) Complete

Failed Project Archive Ongoing

Any comments on the above would be greatly appreciated, I will certainly be looking to refine these designs further where I can.

Cheers,
~Hi5
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 05:27:09 PM by Hi5er »
Tournament History:

Offline 09090901

• competitive irl
  • Rep: 22
  • anti-boomer super soldier
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Hi5's Stocktacular Bots
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 05:55:04 PM »
The reason shiny hubs won't move your bot is because you have the sharp side of the ztek against the groubd. Rotate the zteks so that the flat side is parallel to the ground, and you'll be able to use them.
DSL-IRL is the libtard’s meta. Go drink more soylent, retard! #BLUELIVESMATTER

Offline Hi5er

• GTM Member Since 2010
  • Middleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 06:06:48 PM »
The reason shiny hubs won't move your bot is because you have the sharp side of the ztek against the groubd. Rotate the zteks so that the flat side is parallel to the ground, and you'll be able to use them.

Awesome, thanks.

For some reason the only place I can place the zteks is in their current position. Must be how I've placed the base plates... I'll have a fiddle around tomorrow.
Tournament History:

Offline Sage

• Rep: 11
  • RA2 Wizard & GTM's Favorite Stock Builder 2015
  • Awards Sage's Favorite BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 06:13:35 PM »
Yeah - they are wider at the sides, so the reason the wheels don't touch the ground with you have them rotated them this way is the same reason as why they intersect with your chassis when you rotate them the other way
You got my vote for RA2 Wizard. Always and forever.

Offline kill343gs

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 07:19:23 PM »
They look savage though. My favorite bot type by far.

For once the mods did something right
#MakeGTMGreatAgain

Offline Hi5er

• GTM Member Since 2010
  • Middleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 03:15:32 AM »
Yeah - they are wider at the sides, so the reason the wheels don't touch the ground with you have them rotated them this way is the same reason as why they intersect with your chassis when you rotate them the other way

Thanks mighty Sage! From further testing I actually like the grannies as they allow for movement upside down and can be used to self right off a wall, on his side and sometimes when he's on his back.

They look savage though. My favorite bot type by far.

Really savage!

On Conundrum there's 2x Zteks with 2x Disc extenders. On each disk are 12 black 20cm extenders, each with 6 razors on them, giving each ZTek 24 Razors for a total of 48 Razors on the weaponry, due to weight limitations I think I had to remove like 4 or 5 to fit the ram plates on for some much needed protection... But it's still a beast and a great juggler!
Tournament History:

Offline Mystic2000

• Utter Edgelord
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Used to suck at IRL, probably still does.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 11:01:20 AM »
that thing sure looks frightening, i may have an idea for a more stable setup for DrumbleDore, but i first need to test it, i'll post it either here or in my showcase if it happens to be working, i'm wondering how Conundrum fares against HS tho...
Robocraft Username: Bob5768
PSN Username: Bob5768

Offline Hi5er

• GTM Member Since 2010
  • Middleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 02:04:22 PM »
that thing sure looks frightening, i may have an idea for a more stable setup for DrumbleDore, but i first need to test it, i'll post it either here or in my showcase if it happens to be working, i'm wondering how Conundrum fares against HS tho...

Let me know what you find out!

I just redownloaded the Starcore AI v1 pack and took on all the HS's I could find and came away successful!

I'm finding that VS's give it some grief though as the "Drum" is practically solid and if it gets hit it does knock the bot quite far up in the air and it's very open to this because you have to keep the bottom of the drum clear... Or do you... hmmm...

The best defense is a solid offense in this case tho as the sheer number of razors seem to rip most weapons apart at the moment... Maybe this won't be the case in some of the later editions... The testing continues.
Tournament History:

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 02:09:37 PM »
Try starcore v4 and using the combat arena with hazards off (or the DSL tournament arena)
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline 09090901

• competitive irl
  • Rep: 22
  • anti-boomer super soldier
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 02:21:09 PM »
Try starcore v4 and using the combat arena with hazards off (or the DSL tournament arena)
Just to add on to this incase you're going to download it, make sure you the install V3 first. V4 lacks the UI files for the extra three AI bots per team and you won't be able to fight some of the more well known bots in V4.
DSL-IRL is the libtard’s meta. Go drink more soylent, retard! #BLUELIVESMATTER

Offline Hi5er

• GTM Member Since 2010
  • Middleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 02:39:23 PM »

No worries, I'll give it a bash.

I always play with hazards turned off, but I dislike the camera angles quite a lot in this game, but I always seem to find one I like in the Octagon.

Just to add on to this incase you're going to download it, make sure you the install V3 first. V4 lacks the UI files for the extra three AI bots per team and you won't be able to fight some of the more well known bots in V4.

Thanks for the heads up :)

EDIT:
I have yet to beat anything in Starcore 4 with either of my bots. Drumbledore causes a lot more damage but so far he's flipped himself over 100% of the time with his stupid glitchy drum haha.

Edit 2:
I'm clearly terrible at this haha... Still no win. The drum doesn't have enough protection and all the bots seem to have a really tiny chassis that I cant reach with the current weapon set up. May have to go for a rebuild, reduce the size of the drum and add more frontal protection.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 03:04:00 PM by Hi5er »
Tournament History:

Offline Scrap Daddy

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2016, 06:52:49 PM »
always cool to see someone get trashed by v4 and have to think of new ways to beat the ai. that's the beauty of stock. :')

Offline Hi5er

• GTM Member Since 2010
  • Middleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2016, 03:00:59 AM »
always cool to see someone get trashed by v4 and have to think of new ways to beat the ai. that's the beauty of stock. :')

It's crazy how much some of the robots cram in with snapper loading and all the other glitches.

The HS's in Starcore are something else... I'm putting the drum project on hold while I try and come up with a way to beat HS's head on... The tiny chassis set ups mean they have protection from all sides which is annoying, a lot sport casters on the bottom too... But they all seem to have pretty exposed tops...
Tournament History:

Offline Mystic2000

• Utter Edgelord
  • Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2016, 03:50:20 AM »
you getting destroyed by SCV4 is exactly what happened when i tested my setup against ASAI (an even more dangerous pack than SCv4 made by MrAS), it IS pretty damaging, but jeez the thing is super unstable, i'm starting to think that snapper setups can't really be made stable with drums, i'll do one last try using servos, and if not i'll just try a static setup somehow, if you need frontal protection, then maybe you could use caster armor on the front, dunno really, i never built drums before

Offline Hi5er

• GTM Member Since 2010
  • Middleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2016, 04:29:03 AM »
you getting destroyed by SCV4 is exactly what happened when i tested my setup against ASAI (an even more dangerous pack than SCv4 made by MrAS), it IS pretty damaging, but jeez the thing is super unstable, i'm starting to think that snapper setups can't really be made stable with drums, i'll do one last try using servos, and if not i'll just try a static setup somehow, if you need frontal protection, then maybe you could use caster armor on the front, dunno really, i never built drums before

Its pretty heartbreaking haha, now I know how IRL bots feel going up against Razor and Hypnodisc... You spend ages on a design and BAM, ripped to shreds lol.

Stability is a huge issue... Front protection is needed, but the weight of the drum is so substantial it hogs the limit. My next attempt would be to reduce the drum size to 2 extenders per disk.

At the moment the setup is:
Baseplate x2 (8)
ZTek x2 (60)
Disc x2 (30)
Extenders x24 (48)
Razor Blades x48 (366)
Total - 512

Maybe a setup of:
SnapperII x2 (26)
ZTek x2 (60)
Disc x2 (30)
Extenders x16 (32)
Razor Blades x32 (224)
Total - 372

would be better to allow more weight for protection. But the stability issue is still a concern... Maybe a longer, flatter design would help and moving the drum as close to the ground as possible without the razors scraping along the floor?
Tournament History:

Offline Mystic2000

• Utter Edgelord
  • Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2016, 04:40:52 AM »
honestly the biggest reason your static setup is heavier is because you have 16 more razors on it, if you reduce it to 32 razors, keep it static, and use the gained weight to buff the armor, that may work

Offline Hi5er

• GTM Member Since 2010
  • Middleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2016, 06:01:50 AM »
honestly the biggest reason your static setup is heavier is because you have 16 more razors on it, if you reduce it to 32 razors, keep it static, and use the gained weight to buff the armor, that may work

It may work, I feel like it will be much less destructive though - what do you think?
Tournament History:

Offline Mystic2000

• Utter Edgelord
  • Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2016, 06:14:05 AM »
it certainly will lose part of it's punch, but the extra stability will most likely be worth it cause at least you won't bounce all over the place and be able to actually bring that drum into play.

Offline Hi5er

• GTM Member Since 2010
  • Middleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2016, 10:12:16 AM »
it certainly will lose part of it's punch, but the extra stability will most likely be worth it cause at least you won't bounce all over the place and be able to actually bring that drum into play.

If it can only manage 32 Razors, surely a 36HS will outclass it in every way annoyingly? Thus little point using a drum in the first place in which case - damn I want this thing to work!!
Tournament History:

Offline Squirrel_Monkey

• Squirrel_Monkeyweight
  • Rep: 7
  • [Insert clever and witty comment here]
    • 0SquirrelMonkey0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2016, 10:52:13 AM »
The idea is not to outweapon a 36HS, it's to keep your weapons alive and hit the tribars/motors to deweapon them.
Better than GK since 2009.
I think SM is a pretty cool guy, eh builds unicycle-bots and doesn't afraid of anything