Author Topic: F1Krazy's Terrible Stock Bots  (Read 3138 times)

Offline F1Krazy

• Put me on a pedestal and I'll only disappoint you
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 4
  • Tell me I'm exceptional, I promise to exploit you
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
F1Krazy's Terrible Stock Bots
« on: January 07, 2017, 03:17:00 PM »
So I decided to make this showcase a) on the off-chance that I start building seriously in stock someday, and b) because I need some serious assistance with my Stilt Stumble entry, I'm running out of time, and I'm too scared to brave the GTM Discord :dumb)

Here's my bot so far (comedy skin pending):

This is the same setup I've seen everyone else using so far: scoops on the front stilts, wheels on the back stilts. But I must be doing something wrong, because it constantly veers to the left or right and spins round in circles and is generally completely uncontrollable. Is it the angle of the scoops? Is it the way I'm mounting them? Is there something else I'm doing wrong? Oh, and feel free to give me feedback on the rest of the robot, this is literally my first-ever stock robot and it probably sucks.

(397.2, plastic armour because it's just gonna get BFEd to be invincible anyway so might as well save some weight)
My DSL Showcase

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: F1Krazy's Terrible Stock Bots
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 03:20:28 PM »
You should use normal extenders instead of the Y extenders, it should save you enough weight to change the razors to irons/maces.
As for the veering, it looks like its caused by the rotation of the z-teks. It looks like you have the pointy ends facing downwards instead of having the flat edge against the ground, and with shinies the pointy edge will cause it to veer.

Offline 09090901

• competitive irl
  • anti-boomer super soldier
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 03:21:00 PM »
change the way the drive is mounted so that the flat side of the ztek is against the ground
DSL-IRL is the libtard’s meta. Go drink more soylent, retard! #BLUELIVESMATTER

Offline F1Krazy

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 05:25:02 PM »
Thanks for the advice, guys. You were right, that fixed the veering completely. I'm now working on a total rebuild that should be lighter and more stable, so I'll update this post to show that off when it's done (probably tomorrow).
My DSL Showcase

Offline Dreamcast

• Rep: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 08:22:03 PM »
Use 140cm square extenders. You are wasting dozens of KGs on your stilts.

Offline F1Krazy

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 09:21:29 AM »
I didn't realize they were that light. Okay, thanks for the advice, I'll go rerebuild it. I'm gonna have a lot of spare weight to play around with and no idea what to do with it...
My DSL Showcase

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Rep: 10
  • -rep TheRoboteer. "queermint"
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Hoppin#0013
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 01:22:21 PM »
I didn't realize they were that light. Okay, thanks for the advice, I'll go rerebuild it. I'm gonna have a lot of spare weight to play around with and no idea what to do with it...

You could add a second HP for another tribar, using a servo motor or snapper to put it in position
Things I did & done

Offline F1Krazy

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 01:12:34 PM »

You could add a second HP for another tribar, using a servo motor or snapper to put it in position
I actually did try splitting the maces across two tribars, to better target opponents' front stilts, but even with all my optimizations I just didn't have enough weight left over. That being said...

I still have a lot of weight left over.
My DSL Showcase

Offline Dreamcast

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 02:31:00 PM »
Whoa, stop it with the spread out maces. You've limited your damage potential and have nothing to show for it. Just do something close to this:

You'll need to use the eFFeeMMe glitch with extenders and all but one of the weapons you choose to attach. You can also upgrade the drive.

Offline F1Krazy

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 03:05:42 PM »
Whoa, stop it with the spread out maces. You've limited your damage potential and have nothing to show for it. Just do something close to this:
(Image removed from quote.)
You'll need to use the eFFeeMMe glitch with extenders and all but one of the weapons you choose to attach. You can also upgrade the drive.
I've tried using the eFFe glitch, following the guide on the Beetlebros website, but it's not working. I can't be doing it wrong because it's so simple that there's nowhere to go wrong.
My DSL Showcase

Offline Baconus_Yum

• The Master of Bacon
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -1
  • I like Bacon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 04:11:28 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)
I've tried using the eFFe glitch, following the guide on the Beetlebros website, but it's not working. I can't be doing it wrong because it's so simple that there's nowhere to go wrong.
Dont move your mouse when spinning.
Didn't Win Anything Award GTM 2K17
Notable Tournament Entrees:
Bacon Emergency: 2nd Place in Emergency exit.
Spinner From the North: 2nd Place in SFTW Showdown
Abominable: 1st place in the MW division of The Cybernetic Colosseum

Offline UberPyro

• Lightweight
  • Rep: 6
  • Well, here goes.
  • Awards GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 04:14:25 PM »

Alright, I made a video showing the eFFe glitch. Hopefully this will help. (excuse the lack of editing, I didn't have much time)

Offline F1Krazy

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2017, 04:58:18 PM »

Alright, I made a video showing the eFFe glitch. Hopefully this will help. (excuse the lack of editing, I didn't have much time)

Thanks, Uber. I misunderstood how the glitch worked, and was placing one mace then trying to eFFe the others on, thinking it would somehow bypass the "no overlapping components" rule. It doesn't. But I've figured that out now, and I can finally proudly present: Crouchybot 5000!

For a memebot that's about three layers of meme, it was a good learning experience.
My DSL Showcase

Offline F1Krazy

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2017, 04:36:48 PM »
So the other week, I decided to give Stock another go. After much trial and error, I managed to put together this VS. I'm sure it can be improved (and I'm sure a decent HS would rip it to pieces, it feels really underweaponed) but for my first serious Stock bot, it feels pretty good to me.

The reason I'm not sure whether it has DSA or not is because I accidentally clicked the Armor tab at least once, then immediately went back to the Chassis tab and rebuilt it. I dunno whether that clears the armour you already have and sets it back to DSA or not? Or do I have to completely rebuild the robot from scratch? Can I just BFE it?
My DSL Showcase

Offline Fracture

• Super Mega Hyper Giga
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
  • how about i shove my big dog up your hanky panky
  • Awards GTMCS2 Divison Winner BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2017, 06:38:22 PM »
Rebuilding the chassis gives you DSA back. You've done a good job planning the components out and trimming the chassis, but you should rotate the snappers and weapon Z-teks 180 degrees and make it wider in general, to help with stability. Also pushing the drive back with an extender between the anchor and T-connector can have the same benefits and may allow you to shorten the extenders holding the motors.

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2017, 06:43:44 PM »
if you never applied another armour you are fine

Offline Philippa

• The Queen of GTM
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • ✊ Viva la Standard! ✊
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2017, 07:04:20 PM »
I thought you had to totally avoid the armour tab or else you'd have regular aluminum?

Offline Dreamcast

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2017, 10:16:13 PM »
I thought you had to totally avoid the armour tab or else you'd have regular aluminum?

Nope. However, the values would probably stick if this wasn't a rushed game.

Offline Gauche Suede

• Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2017, 02:26:05 AM »
To check for DSA just paint your bot black and spin it around, if it doesnt shine then you got DSA.

Offline Dreamcast

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2017, 06:19:29 PM »
That robot must be hella unstable. Your instability will prevent you from keeping the opponent under pressure. Get some stabilizers on that thing.