Author Topic: Dark-Al's stock showcase  (Read 3872 times)

Offline Dark-Al

• That guy who makes long posts.
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
  • That's not how you build a Hydraulic crusher mate
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Dark-Al's stock showcase
« on: January 16, 2017, 12:23:44 PM »
Hello and welcome to my not-so fabulous Stock Showcase.For myself, I've been playing RA2 for sometime after downloading DSL a few months ago, but soon I got bored with DSL because of my terrible building skills so I decided to build on Stock instead. So without further or do, here is a middle-weight pop-up I've been building and changing for sometime. Please ignore the skin since I applied the skin for a few good laughs.

Please feel welcome to give me feedback. Also, I'll put the bot in the bot exchange if anyone does want to play around with it. It should be called Amour-popup if you need to know.

Offline Jammy Dodger

• The welsh idiot you probably dislike
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Dark-Al's stock showcase
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 12:37:27 PM »
Not bad for a newcomer! Wedges are better on Snappers (green ones) and there extender setup can be better via attaching a extender on the side of another extender :3

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 12:39:32 PM »
Not bad! Welcome to GTM!

Offline Dark-Al

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 12:57:50 PM »
Not bad for a newcomer! Wedges are better on Snappers (green ones) and there extender setup can be better via attaching a extender on the side of another extender :3
Thanks for the advice. I didn't mention that the chassis is somewhat quite small and the alignment needs working on. I'll try moving some of the pop-up snappers around so I can fit the green snappers in the chassis. For the extenders, they can be easily adjusted, no problem.
 I'll see what I can do for now and I'll give an update for tomorrow.

Offline Dreamcast

• Rep: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 02:00:59 PM »
Your bot's unprotected sides give away free hits. Try to make the chassis wider and shorter. Make sure to attach your razors so that they are symmetrically aligned and do more damage.

Offline Dark-Al

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 02:12:58 PM »
Ok. Here's an update on the Robot.

Your bot's unprotected sides give away free hits. Try to make the chassis wider and shorter. Make sure to attach your razors so that they are symmetrically aligned and do more damage.
Don't worry Dreamcast, I'll get to work on this ASAP.

Offline Jammy Dodger

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 02:17:09 PM »
better but get rid of the t connectors as they take up alot of weight :3

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 04:22:16 PM »
this will help out a lot, especially on how to use extenders.

but good work. keep it up
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline Fracture

• Super Mega Hyper Giga
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
  • how about i shove my big dog up your hanky panky
  • Awards GTMCS2 Divison Winner BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 07:32:46 PM »
Good. Use multiple 20cm extenders for the wedge since they each have the same health as a long one, add a battery (which one depends on how much you want and if you're willing to rebuild), and use two 20cm extenders on each DDT to get your three razors. You'll need the eFFe glitch if you don't know it yet. And...how long did that skin take to make?

Offline Dark-Al

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 03:23:59 PM »
After not playing stock for awhile, I felt like I wanted another good go at Stock building. So I played around with the Efffe glitch to make this middle-weight (at least 388 KG), Vortex. It's not prefect but I'm planning to build a heavy weight version of this. So feel free to say anything about it for now.

If you are wondering about the razors, that was because I didn't want to force the robot over weight. This is the reason for the heavy-weight version.

Offline Dreamcast

• Rep: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 03:42:05 PM »
You can conserve weight and ditch the razors by attaching the motors to a single blue snapper.

Offline Dark-Al

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2017, 08:34:05 AM »
Something I've been working on during my break (Yes, I only got bored playing DSL but not stock, to a degree). I'm aware it's not finished and still flawed, but I still need some input on how to improve the design of this bot.

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2017, 08:59:56 AM »
since you have so much weight to work with you definitely need to make it wider and with a shallower front, combined with more front armor like ramplates or something. I wouldn't be against making the drive wider to help turnspeed

also I'm pretty sure 2 black batts is the minimum for hw popups
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2017, 09:09:52 AM »
In addition to what Reier said, it can't hurt to spam more razorz, or add some "horns" like R4 to help with getting a perfect 1st hit, which is so important for popups.
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline Dark-Al

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2017, 09:10:48 AM »
since you have so much weight to work with you definitely need to make it wider and with a shallower front, combined with more front armor like ramplates or something. I wouldn't be against making the drive wider to help turnspeed

Pretty sure you noted about there only being one black Supervolt. I had difficulty trying to stack the battery into the other, even when I followed a tutorial for battery stacking and hitting F12 on the keyboard. I'll get to work on it as soon as I can. 
In addition to what Reier said, it can't hurt to spam more razorz, or add some "horns" like R4 to help with getting a perfect 1st hit, which is so important for popups.
More RAZORS?

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2017, 09:14:31 AM »

Pretty sure you noted about there only being one black Supervolt. I had difficulty trying to stack the battery into the other, even when I followed a tutorial for battery stacking and hitting F12 on the keyboard. I'll get to work on it as soon as I can. 
More RAZORS?
MOAR RAZORZ

But yeah, stacking sometimes takes a while. It helps if you're running RA2 at 1080p and have a decent mouse, I've found. Just keep jiggling the battery inside the other one in little circles, changing camera angle every 10 seconds. You should also zoom all the way in, using the chassis or paintlab tabs. Moving the battery between the z-teks also makes your wheelbase wider and frees up some space the front, which you can use to make your wedge shallower
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline Jammy Dodger

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2017, 09:21:11 AM »

More RAZORS?
MOAR RAZORZ

But yeah, stacking sometimes takes a while. It helps if you're running RA2 at 1080p and have a decent mouse, I've found. Just keep jiggling the battery inside the other one in little circles, changing camera angle every 10 seconds. You should also zoom all the way in, using the chassis or paintlab tabs. Moving the battery between the z-teks also makes your wheelbase wider and frees up some space the front, which you can use to make your wedge shallower
^ this also try and make the wedge a little bit wider so HS'es will just slide up also you might want to make the wedges a lil bit longer as then you can get under robots more better

Offline Dark-Al

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2017, 10:44:59 AM »
This showcase feels more dusty than my DSL showcase. Still, this is a Pop-Up that I've been working on for Crapcan Derby 2.
Yes, it's still in the line of the amour-pop up series but I thought this is one of the best middle weight pop-ups I've built.

Now I'm debating about the wedges as one of the extenders of each wedge appears to be vulnerable to damage. Should I keep them as they are, or reduce the total length of them both?
Edit: More Razors?

Offline Jammy Dodger

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2017, 11:06:16 AM »
needs a more shallow chassis wedge and maybe go for just the one wedge for more razors?

Offline Dark-Al

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2017, 11:29:19 AM »
needs a more shallow chassis wedge and maybe go for just the one wedge for more razors?
I can go with three on one of the connecting extenders as seen on my WIP heavy-weight if you want me to? I've tried it before on this bot, and it pushes the weight to 399 KG dead on which is on the limit of most Middle-Weights on the forums. I was also debating that before I debated on the wedges.