Author Topic: Bwackwat's Stock Showcase  (Read 3245 times)

Offline bwackwat

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Bwackwat's Stock Showcase
« on: December 06, 2012, 03:07:57 PM »
Hello!

I used to play this game a lot, and getting back into it, I would love to show the community a handful of my best stock robots! Critique away!

Steel Armored.

This robot has trouble on its backside, has weight for additional weapons, and often cannot reach opponents with the axes.

Titanium Armored.

This similar axe-striking bot does more damage, but is even more vulnerable from the sides and on its back. Also, its weapon is weak due to those weak burst motors. Could be much stronger, but has a cool capturing front!

Steel Armored.

This bot comes at you with a LOT of dead weight! It hits hard, but needs to hit while moving quickly which is hard to do because the thing moves sideways. It sucks to have three HPZs--balance is impossible. This bot could be better, but the hammerheads are fun.

Steel Armored.

This robot is the predecessor to Deadweight Storm, and has SIX HPZs covered is razors. This bot truly shreds through armor and weapons.

Titanium Armored.

This little guy flips hard! Really fun, but frankly not the most effective.

Aluminum Armored.

This lightweight has two HPZs covered in razors! Whoah! Although it isn't very fast and that Nifty battery doesn't last long, this LW shreds.

Thanks for checking out my bots!

PLEASE leave comments, suggestions, etc...

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
Re: Bwackwat's Stock Showcase
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 03:18:27 PM »
Axe Smasher's weapon setup looks cool. The bots remind me of bots made about 7 years ago.

Offline Jonzu95

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: -27
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 03:20:36 PM »
I can see lots of potential here...

Tip from me: Square extenders are much heavier than round ones. You will save weight by using only the round extenders.

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 03:23:14 PM »
I can see lots of potential here...

Tip from me: Square extenders are much heavier than round ones. You will save weight by using only the round extenders.
Don't forget though that 140cm extenders only weigh 5kg

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
  • Rep: 19
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 03:25:04 PM »
first off, round extenders always > square ones, as they all have the same HP. the only case you should use squares is if it is the 140cm one found in the patch in my sig

despite what you may think, snapper-powered hammers CAN be good... but they cant support more than 2 or 3 razors. the hammer cant be too long either or itll have problems retracting. most just use external DDTs put on a baseplate anchor

migrane 3 is basically the best you can make it, nice job on that one. the only thing you can really do for it is put its weaponry on a snapper, but you would probably need to snapperload (vvv in the link below vvv) in order to do it, and get DS aluminum, also below

read: http://beetlebros.gametechmods.com/ra2techs.htm
you probably know some of this stuff already, but its a good resource

im glad you take building seriously and arent just another newfag trying to replicate IRL bots in stock
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline Philippa

• The Queen of GTM
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • ✊ Viva la Standard! ✊
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 03:39:42 PM »
Hey there new guy. :)

Cool bots. Have a few tips - Always build to the weight limit.
                                            - See the tab that lets you choose armour? NEVER click on that because if you don't then you get armour stronger than steel at                                                   the same weight of aluminium.
                                            - NEVER use the square extenders unless it's the 140cm one.
                                            - Keep chassis size at a minimum.

Happy building Backwax. ;)

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 04:15:21 PM »
Simplify your extender work. at the moment it's needlessly complicated.

Offline Sage

• Rep: 11
  • RA2 Wizard & GTM's Favorite Stock Builder 2015
  • Awards Sage's Favorite BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 06:36:00 PM »
Awesome a new builder!

The last bot, the LW, is definitely the best. Nice chassis work!

The rest of them aren't bad. Pretty much what everyone else said- Use the round extenders instead of the square ones (they are 3kg lighter, each. that's a lot of weight!). Also, try to build to the weight limit. Remember, heavyweight goes all the way to 800kg!

On your hammer HS (horizontal spinner), try to use iron spikes or maces instead. 3 maces are way more efficient than 1 sledgehammer, and cost the same.

Good luck! Any questions just ask.
You got my vote for RA2 Wizard. Always and forever.

Offline bwackwat

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 07:06:52 PM »
I suppose I've got some questions I would like to ask the community then:

What is the most stable installation of RA2? Does it include DSL? Is it version 1.4? Are there any multiplayer enhancements to reduce glitches and increase communication efficiency?

(On a side note, SHOULD I try using DSL? I assume effective bot types persist and can be replicated...)

Could someone point me to a collection of some of the most powerful robots they have seen? There are clearly some types of robots that can be countered, but are there any that seem unbeatable?

Is the Starcore AI Pack 3 the most powerful set of AI bots? I haven't been able to beat a single event with any of my stock bots, and not only does it frighten me, but it makes me want to win!  :cool:

Has anyone seen a successful walking robot?

WHO WANTS TO BATTLE ROYALE ON VNC?  :eek:

Offline Mr. AS

• robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 07:22:11 PM »
What is the most stable installation of RA2? Does it include DSL? Is it version 1.4?
my stock dl is the most stabile, followed by dsl, and finally by naryars dsl ai pack/dsl mod ("nar ai")

Are there any multiplayer enhancements to reduce glitches and increase communication efficiency?
no. from what ive heard some online host services reduce lag. gameranger is the best but i dont see any reduction in lag

Could someone point me to a collection of some of the most powerful robots they have seen? There are clearly some types of robots that can be countered, but are there any that seem unbeatable?
flail sns are annoying as heck to beat in stock.

Is the Starcore AI Pack 3 the most powerful set of AI bots? I haven't been able to beat a single event with any of my stock bots, and not only does it frighten me, but it makes me want to win!
nope, inf ai is the hardest around atm. (dl: https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php/topic,10649.0.html)
once i release asai though that should change...

Has anyone seen a successful walking robot?
dominatings dsl showcase is full of them. not a whole ton in stock

WHO WANTS TO BATTLE ROYALE ON VNC?
no idea what that is
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline Sage

• Rep: 11
  • RA2 Wizard & GTM's Favorite Stock Builder 2015
  • Awards Sage's Favorite BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 08:27:54 PM »
You can check any of the "big" showcases to see some great bots. (I reccomend starting at the last page and moving backwards).

Here are some links.
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php/topic,755.0.html
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php/topic,1764.0.html
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php/topic,693.0.html
You got my vote for RA2 Wizard. Always and forever.

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 10:34:33 PM »
There was one guy that was here that made a successful stock walker, the vid is still on youtube IIRC

Offline HurricaneAndrew

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -13
  • Admon is not pleased with your shenanigans.
    • HurricaneAndrew92
    • HurricaneAndrewGTM
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 09:50:10 AM »
There was one guy that was here that made a successful stock walker, the vid is still on youtube IIRC

You mean the one that jumped?

#BlackNamesMatter  |  #HurricaneAndrewDidNothingWrong  |  #DemodNaryar  |  #OldfagAlliance

Offline bwackwat

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Followup!
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2012, 09:31:51 PM »
I'm back, now, with a whole slew of new robots! Lets hear some critique!

With my last set of bots I was unaware of DSA armor. I fell in love; all of these bots have DSA!

Axcessive

Super fun hammer bot. Perhaps a bit slow, and once you've outmaneuvered this bot in any way your chances of winning are high. If you're cornered and can't move: you lose. A considerable upgrade from my previous Axe Smasher.

Max Power

Again, a super fun flipper bot. Not very powerful (even for a flipper), but quick and armored (plows).

Who else loves plows? Plows are great and big.

Old Razor

These pneumatic/weapon-covered bots seem to be the most powerful I have seen. Weapon-covered HSes seem to be quite damaging, but in another sense.

If this bot had some nice wedges in front, what bot type would defeat it?

Spike Entanglement

I hope you can see the parts: 6 Z-teks, 4 HP Z-teks, a stacked 12 volt, and lots of spikes. The spikes take a while to start spinning rapidly, but once they are whirling this bot will deal a lot of damage, for a long time. Hard to flip (cool).

Uh... is this bot actually effective? I'm just not sure...

Yellow Horned Beetle

A new lightweight bot of mine. Pretty strong but could likely be reworked in many ways.

Who else loves externalizing motors and weapons?!

Venom Snap

An interesting middleweight which deals an OK amount of damage. I wish and expected this weapon setup to be more effective, but the bot is cool anyway.

True Miner

This is a pretty strong spinner guy. Nice weight and nice number of weapons. Rather simple design and rather effective. I think I stacked a 12 volt in there...

Venom Driller

Super fun, balanced, and effective middleweight. Zooms around and has a good number of weapons.

Do you think those weaker motors were good ideas? Is motor stacking worth my time anyways? I found that True Miner's weapon setup is simply more effective.

Arrowhead

This is likely my most powerful robot. Super fast and high-damaging. Really fun to smash robots with this guy. Stacked a 12 volt.

Question: is this (the popup) the most powerful robot design in general? Once I outmaneuver and get under almost any robot it feels like this robot (type) cannot be beat.

Synwisp

Likely my most powerful middleweight. Again, really fun, fast, and damaging.

I felt like I may have been wasting lots of weight with the ultra-long chassis, but I decided to ignore my concern after demolishing some stock robots.

And that's that!

I had some fun using the Antimatter Neutron Star Piece, but that idea got boring fast.

And, after getting smashed by the Starcore AI Pack V3, I decided just before this post to test out the V1 pack; wish me luck!

Thanks for reading and being patient with all these damn bots. It's been an intense time building. Happy building

~Bwackwat

Offline Mr. AS

• robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2012, 09:48:27 PM »
old razor doesnt really need that third piston the black battery or the buzzard wheels. you could change the wheels to shinies and reduce the amount of pistons for more weaponry. fast pokers like that tend to rely on drive speed more than sheer piston speed anyway

spike entanglement looks a bit like a bot i built some time back:
but of course my bot i built off a single snapperII with the aid of snapper loading: http://beetlebros.gametechmods.com/ra2techs.htm. from my experiance chained hs tend not to have very quick acceleration but weapon speeds can be ridiculous.

and synwisps side armor is pretty useless to be honest. i would probably trade them for a snapper2 with a ~60/80 cm extender + a small wedge to help get under opponents. razor tips also are the best for bots like that (aka popups)

Is motor stacking worth my time anyways?
if you are talking about putting your weapons motors/drive on snappers, yes if you use as few bursts as possible. you see, putting motors on snappers increases their speed, and they wont be in your chassis using up chassis KG.
if you mean chaining motors together with a 20cm extender, then mostly not except on a few VS that have the goal of punting their opponent around and being glass cannons (nightmare-esque bots)

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2012, 02:49:26 AM »
Yes, popups are the best bot type in general, unless you are countered by a specialized anti popup.

Offline Jonzu95

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: -27
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2012, 04:50:58 AM »
Venom Drill! <3

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2012, 08:55:50 AM »
Yeah, Venom drill is awesome. Not the most effective, but awesome nonetheless.