Author Topic: Benny's mad creations  (Read 1488 times)

Offline Bennythen00b

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Benny's mad creations
« on: November 25, 2012, 02:43:55 PM »
Hey, I'm new here. Played this game when i was about 12, but I picked it up again today and I'm loving it.

I'm getting loads of tips from the wiki and the forums here and it's a brilliant help, but I thought I'd post my bots here in case I do something horribly wrong. It also gives me a place to look back at older bots if I keep playing for a while. If my bot is sh**, tell me.

Enough talk, here are my two first bots: Slaur III and Heskjestaur I, they both wreck all of the stock AI bots exept the flippers. I'd love some harder bots to play against but oh well. Need to get Heskjestaur closer to 400kg, maybe some more armor somewhere could do the trick. Both bots are very weak against flippers, none of them are self-righting or invertible.

Edit: Oh and I think they both have that armor glitch thingy as I didn't press the armors button to choose an armor. Can I check somehow?

Offline GoldenFox93

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: -5
  • The Guy
    • http://www.facebook.com/h
    • http://www.youtube.com/ro
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
Re: Benny's mad creations
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 03:01:53 PM »
Hey man, welcome to the forums. If you're looking for some tougher robots to fight in Stock, I'd suggest downloading the Starcore AI pack- you'll find it in the Downloads section on the front page. Start with v1, and move onto the next ones when you feel ready, and that should be a good start for you    :approve:

As for the robots- those are pretty decent for first submitted robots, but you're using a lot of weight on external armour- you'll be better off using them on additional weapons systems to protect your wheels and chassis with.

One last thing to get you started- do you know about the DSA glitch? If you don't select anything on the Armour tab once you've built your chassis, you'll have a default armour applied that's stronger than Steel, but only weighs as much as Aluminium.

EDIT: Hang on, I see you've found that- to check if you have it, colour your chassis all black, and move your robots around with the right mouse button. If it doesn't shine, you've got DSA. Hope this helps!

"Cries and screams are music to my ears."
-Soundwave

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
  • Rep: 19
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 03:09:39 PM »
first off, some ai packs that offer harder bots can be found here: https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php/topic,10649.0.html
and all new stock builders should read these- http://beetlebros.gametechmods.com/ra2techs.htm http://beetlebros.gametechmods.com/ra2stats.htm

the bots seem to be alright compared to some other members *ahemsuchasjaminahem*, but they can be improved on: any protection or wheelgaurds are useless in most cases (especially weapons-oriented bots like HS), so they should be removed. you can also power them with a nifty battery if you choose to keep such a fast drive choice on hs, as most of them use rad drive

slaur iii should use shinies over granniegrip wheels, GGs are absolutely useless since a good 90% of the time you can get invertability with shinies alone, and another 5% of the time you can get invertible with rubber wheels which are strangely 1 kg lighter than grannies but almost as large.

hajesker i or w/e its called is really underweaponed. even a 4WD hpz hs with 2 rads for spinners can have more weaponry than that. i would get rid of all of the armor, maybe have one snowplow at the most, put the spinner of a snapper and put maybe 12 or so weapons on.

you seem to be on the right track so far.
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline Fracture

• Super Mega Hyper Giga
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
  • how about i shove my big dog up your hanky panky
  • Awards GTMCS2 Divison Winner BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 03:40:50 PM »
Damn I really like the look of those bots; if you want to improve them though you should find out how to attach more than 3 weapons on a tribar using extenders. Example:

Component choices are all solid other than the SlipperBottoms, as Mr. AS said. I don't think you need that many angle connectors, however, because you can save a lot of weight on your bots by just using regular extenders for angling.

Offline HurricaneAndrew

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -13
  • Admon is not pleased with your shenanigans.
    • HurricaneAndrew92
    • HurricaneAndrewGTM
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 06:32:09 PM »
Welcome. You've come to the right place...

I will say that some advice may be a bit confusing or just plain overwhelming, but don't worry. Just keep building and keep practicing some of the techniques that we have found and you'll automatically get better with time. If you can't master some of the techniques described, it's not a big deal. I originally started playing this game in 2003 and still can't do what some of these guys can.

If stock turns out to be too overwhelming for you, I suggest trying the DSL mod. The building in DSL is geared more toward realism. It's what I prefer, honestly.

Have fun and try not to take anything too seriously.

#BlackNamesMatter  |  #HurricaneAndrewDidNothingWrong  |  #DemodNaryar  |  #OldfagAlliance

Offline Bennythen00b

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 11:41:11 AM »
Thank you for these brilliant replies, I appreciate it a bunch.

I'm gonna try out the starcore pack with my current bots first, and then try and improve them with the help of your tips. I'll try to focus my weight more on weapons and less on external armor for starters.

you can also power them with a nifty battery if you choose to keep such a fast drive choice on hs, as most of them use rad drive
I don't quite understand what you're trying to tell me here. Are you saying use nifty battery and slower drive motors? What is "rad drive"?

slaur iii should use shinies over granniegrip wheels, GGs are absolutely useless since a good 90% of the time you can get invertability with shinies alone, and another 5% of the time you can get invertible with rubber wheels which are strangely 1 kg lighter than grannies but almost as large.
Got stuck too much using shinies because the HPz's tilts the front upwards a bit. Just a lazy temporary solution because I didn't have much time to play yesterday.

Just merged the 2 posts. No problem at all. - Pwn
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 05:52:39 PM by Pwnator »

Offline 123savethewhales

• Rep: 30
  • Friendship is Magic
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 01:20:12 PM »
The last place your bot might get hit is probably the back........  The most damaged areas are (in this order) the front, the bottom, and the sides.