Author Topic: Clickbeetle's bots  (Read 66758 times)

Offline Scrap Daddy

Clickbeetle's bots
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2008, 09:26:36 PM »
I actually used this set-up for my first 36 iron hs but not as compact. about the bot, razors are too weak IMO for a hw hs but its nice to see something besides irons and maces.

Offline H@zm47

• Middleweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Clickbeetle's bots
« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2008, 11:57:21 PM »
I like it. The name made me laugh cos it's true. These guys are right though, razors are too weak to use on a HW HS.
Achievements:
BBEANS 6: What Shell Spinner? (2-1 - 3 KOs and 4 WBPs)
RAW 2: Smoke and Mirrors (1-0:2 KOs and 1 TKO)
Clash Cubes 3: Shortsighted Surgeon ][ (Finished 15th)
UK vs USA: The Matador (USA) (Eliminated Round 1)

Offline R1885

• Rep: 3
  • Forum shopping list generator.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Clickbeetle's bots
« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2008, 09:52:02 AM »
Quote from: H@zm47;23993
I like it. The name made me laugh cos it's true. These guys are right though, razors are too weak to use on a HW HS.

Not if you had a lot of them.:-D

Offline kill343gs

Clickbeetle's bots
« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2008, 12:27:53 PM »
Once a few are knocked off the bot will likely become unstable, ultimately leading to its demise.

For once the mods did something right
#MakeGTMGreatAgain

Offline Sage

• Rep: 11
  • RA2 Wizard & GTM's Favorite Stock Builder 2015
  • Awards Sage's Favorite BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Clickbeetle's bots
« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2008, 04:35:53 PM »
Not true guys. Razors may have less health, but with 3 in one spot its harder to knock off one. They also do more damage.
You got my vote for RA2 Wizard. Always and forever.

Offline Clickbeetle

• Rep: 21
  • In Soviet Russia, bugs stomp YOU!
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Beetle Bros site
    • Awards
Clickbeetle's bots
« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2008, 08:44:13 PM »
I have The Ultimate Sacrifice and Heroic Sacrifice, but there's still one missing from the set.  The LW:

This was a tough design to pull off effectively on a LW.  And it's not nearly as good as its big brothers.  But it's still good enough to consistently beat almost any HS I pit it against (the one exception: the new Whirlpool in SC4 beta).  Obviously, it's not very effective against other wedges (lacking a small wedge of its own) but that's not as big of a deal in the LW class than in MW or HW.  And the Sacrifice bots are all primarily HS-killers.

I also had to use plastic armor to fit everything on that I wanted.  But again, not as big of a deal with LW's, especially caster-armored LW's.

Quote from: You
But Wait!

you might say.
Quote from: You
What's a popup without a small wedge?

Well, I thought of that, and the first version of Noble Sacrifice actually had one.

This came at the cost of batteries and drive, however.  While it was better at getting under some bots, after about a minute and a half of fighting, the weapon would simply quit and the bot would be helpless.  It also lacked the driving power to bully around enhanced HS like Tech Support, and just couldn't get under them.  So I decided to dump the wedge and upgrade to Z-teks and a Supervolt.  Overall I'm happier with the second version.

To lack feeling is to be dead, but to act on every feeling is to be a child.
-Brandon Sanderson, The Way of Kings

Offline andrewm0304

• View Profile
    • Awards
Clickbeetle's bots
« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2008, 09:25:51 PM »
Looks awesome as usual. :mrgreen:

Offline R1885

• View Profile
    • Awards
Clickbeetle's bots
« Reply #67 on: December 14, 2008, 09:31:54 PM »
WOW. Noble Sacrifice looks great.

Offline R0B0SH4RK

• Rep: 8
  • There is epic to my madness.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Clickbeetle's bots
« Reply #68 on: December 14, 2008, 11:47:16 PM »
Again, amazing.

Offline Condor33

• Super Heavyweight
  • Alpha One
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Clickbeetle's bots
« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2008, 06:38:22 AM »
I wonder if you could do that in DSL
Avoid the beam and you won't get hit!

Clash Cubes 2 Grand Champion--Xenophobik Resurrektion
Winner of the RAW favorite bot award--Humdrums

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Clickbeetle's bots
« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2008, 10:06:12 AM »
Aww, it's so CUTE! =P Good job as always.
That actually might be one of my favorite bots you've ever done.
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline System32

• Rep: 4
  • Reality
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Clickbeetle's bots
« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2008, 10:12:03 AM »
Is it AI-able? You could use Lu-Tze castors if it isn't.
Put this onto your signature if you were part of this crappy fad in '03.

Offline infiniteinertia

• Rep: 6
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Clickbeetle's bots
« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2008, 03:05:54 PM »
great job click. maybe I will start building again too.
#MakeStockGreatAgain

#BANtheHS The Movement

Offline Clickbeetle

• Rep: 21
  • In Soviet Russia, bugs stomp YOU!
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Beetle Bros site
    • Awards
Clickbeetle's bots
« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2009, 01:23:46 PM »
Two new heavyweights.  One of them for BOTM.  Now which one to pick?

Slaying Mantis V...

A hammer bot designed to trap bots in two dimensions (horizontally and vertically) and then hammer away.  You wouldn't know it unless you've built a lot of them, but the bane of hammer bots is when the opponent drives on top of you and cuts off your hammers.  It's vital to hold bots down while you hammer.

Originally, Slaying Mantis V had wedges as well, so it could trap bots in both vertical directions (up and down) and the only way to escape would be to destroy it or back straight out.  But I just couldn't get the wedges to work.  It was much more difficult to control with wedges, and it seemed like they only got in the way rather than helping.  It was so bad I couldn't even beat Fury with wedges.  But when I took the wedges off and added another battery and the decorative/ballast swords in the back, suddenly it could beat any HS I pitted it against.  Like magic, almost.  So I'm not gonna complain about lack of wedges.  (Though I wouldn't mind some if I could get them to work.)

Its main weakness is actually not its lack of wedges though, but its instability.  Any good ram will cause the bot to flip over (and it can't self right), forcing me to approach opponents slowly.  The hammers can still hit bots that are under me, so it's not the end of the world if I fight a bot with wedges.

I wouldn't put Slaying Mantis V quite on par with Sage's Fatal Encounter, but it does look cool if I do say so myself.  And that's what I was going for.  A good candidate for BOTM.

...or Cold Front?

It doesn't look as cool, but I think it's a more original design.  And more versatile.

I haven't ever seen anything like this that I recall... a wedgy rammer.  Or "Wammer" as I call it.  The idea was to get the best of both worlds in a rammer and a wedge: the sheer quantity of weapons on a rammer, combined with the underside-hitting potential of a wedge.  The bane of most rammers is the lack of a wedge, so I thought it would be a good combo.

Cold Front sort of succeeded.  I didn't get the best of both worlds... more like the middle of both worlds.  It's durable, it's wedgy, it can take on burly HS's and VS's alike, but it's not as powerful as either a popup or a rammer.  It usually takes a long time to KO an opponent.  But hey, as long as it wins I'll take it.

As far as what bot's it's good against, it's sort of a jack of all trades.  Good against everything, excellent against nothing.

Its main weakness is that it's not invertible, and it can't self right once the wedges are gone (which happens all too frequently).  And even when the wedges are there, self-righting will take a few tries at best.

But it's good enough and original enough that I'm considering it for BOTM.  Though right now I'm leaning more toward Slaying Mantis, because it looks cooler.

To lack feeling is to be dead, but to act on every feeling is to be a child.
-Brandon Sanderson, The Way of Kings

Offline R1885

• View Profile
    • Awards
Clickbeetle's bots
« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2009, 02:00:44 PM »
I can't tell who I like more! There both great!

Offline Somebody

• Rep: 13
  • CP: +2
    • SomebodyofGTM
    • View Profile
    • My site
    • Awards
Clickbeetle's bots
« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2009, 02:01:58 PM »
I like Cold Front's splash better, but I like Slaying Mantis V and it should be your BoTM entry.
I built that big robot on that TV show that time

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Clickbeetle's bots
« Reply #76 on: January 19, 2009, 02:04:11 PM »
Qft IMO^^
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 02:32:51 PM by Reier »
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline kill343gs

Clickbeetle's bots
« Reply #77 on: January 19, 2009, 02:29:59 PM »
Cold Front is beautiful, I just wish it was invertible.

For once the mods did something right
#MakeGTMGreatAgain

Offline Scrap Daddy

Clickbeetle's bots
« Reply #78 on: January 19, 2009, 02:41:25 PM »
Ahh, theyre both incredible.

Offline Sage

• Rep: 11
  • RA2 Wizard & GTM's Favorite Stock Builder 2015
  • Awards Sage's Favorite BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Clickbeetle's bots
« Reply #79 on: January 19, 2009, 03:12:04 PM »
Slaying Mantis is probably a better HS killer than Fatal Encounter because the trapping works better, and the bots don't slide up and nail the extenders, but it lacks in most other categories. Most good bots with a wedge should beat it pretty easily, and might not be the best choice for BBEANS5 because of that.

Cold Front is very well built, but could use some tweaks. First off, those irons aren't doing much more than defense at this point. What i would do is make them axes (get rid of those side razors for more weight) and slant them upwards. then they will be both defense and offense. For the invertible issue, you could lower the rows of weapons and turn the axes sideways. Won't be as symmetrical, but efficiency>looks.  
The reason there aren't many of this type of design because of exactly what you said: it takes a long time to KO. The bots usually just slide up and go over with minimal damage.
As for entering this into BBEANS5, just know that my entry will probably be Vise, and your wedge will fail if it goes against that.
You got my vote for RA2 Wizard. Always and forever.