Author Topic: What would you like to see from GTM.  (Read 4794 times)

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: What would you like to see from GTM.
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2019, 06:31:19 PM »
Tbh wiki is a sh**hole in this state, and no overhaul would save it

Offline 8bean

• Professional Tourney Rigger
  • Rep: 10
  • I'm on discord probably
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: 8bean#4514
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2019, 09:05:08 PM »
Something i would personally like to see is an idea that got buried somewhere in the thread kill posted about 9 months ago. It was an official GTM youtube channel where any user could send in a tutorial to one of the mods who runs the channel. Then, the moderator would quality check and upload the vid. This would provide an updated source of easy to follow tutorials for new users or people who want to try something they haven't done before.

also yes on idea 3
Stuff I didn't suck at (from oldest to newest)

Offline Fracture

• Super Mega Hyper Giga
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
  • how about i shove my big dog up your hanky panky
  • Awards GTMCS2 Divison Winner BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2019, 11:05:03 PM »
I don't really have a lot to add, but I appreciate the discussion being brought up on what exactly this community should be, and how we can make it fulfill that role for its members. I'll mention that we've seen many forms of forum activity in the past few years like AI/mod packs, new tutorials, more active showcases, the challenge board, BOTM, and random discussions in Off-Topic, but I feel like the most successful have still been tournaments and RA3/Robot Rumble (well, when there were exciting updates). Those might be good starting points to focus our efforts on for the coming year. Adding to that, I've suggested in previous threads some form of archiving and documenting what's going on in the community on a semi-official page (it was just for GTMCS at the time, but it would extend to other events), like tournament results (even highlights and summary write-ups as well), BOTM winners, mod releases, and other major events, to bring more value to what we do as a community.

Offline Billy5545

• Best Newcomer 2018
  • Rep: 4
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: Kendor#3191
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2019, 01:28:50 AM »
I don't really have a lot to add, but I appreciate the discussion being brought up on what exactly this community should be, and how we can make it fulfill that role for its members. I'll mention that we've seen many forms of forum activity in the past few years like AI/mod packs, new tutorials, more active showcases, the challenge board, BOTM, and random discussions in Off-Topic, but I feel like the most successful have still been tournaments and RA3/Robot Rumble (well, when there were exciting updates). Those might be good starting points to focus our efforts on for the coming year. Adding to that, I've suggested in previous threads some form of archiving and documenting what's going on in the community on a semi-official page (it was just for GTMCS at the time, but it would extend to other events), like tournament results (even highlights and summary write-ups as well), BOTM winners, mod releases, and other major events, to bring more value to what we do as a community.
I support those ideas. Orc's Wars, for example, now have it's own wiki, allowing people to contribute informations about OW and get them to know more about stuffs in there

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2019, 02:17:13 AM »
tournament results (even highlights and summary write-ups as well)

this would be a really cool thing to do and i think it would help make tournaments feel more noteworthy again

Offline Squirrel_Monkey

• Squirrel_Monkeyweight
  • Rep: 7
  • [Insert clever and witty comment here]
    • 0SquirrelMonkey0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2019, 02:37:42 AM »
FYI everyone. We had an official YouTube channel for a while. Don't know who controlled it.
Better than GK since 2009.
I think SM is a pretty cool guy, eh builds unicycle-bots and doesn't afraid of anything

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2019, 04:32:21 AM »
I'd like the site to not take 30 seconds to load any page when I'm logged in on my desktop. It's basically stopped me from checking the forums.

Real talk though, the community is past the point of no return I'm pretty sure. Most/all of the 'pillars' of the community are gone, RA2 content has slowed to a crawl and non-IRL stuff has been nonexistent for months. There's no reason for anyone to come to GTM anymore. The discord has beyond sh**ty memes and the very occasional "here's a screenshot of my 700th IRL drumbot/flipper", and the forums have... I don't even know. Download links I guess. Maybe an IRL tournament every now and then, but even most of those are hosted off site nowadays, plus no real incentive to host means that I think tournament content on the forums will become more and more rare as fewer people can be arsed with putting in the effort.

It's nice that Kill finally giving up seems to have been a wake up call, but really you're months, maybe over a year or more too late. Too many important community members have moved on. The only way I see GTM not completely going out with a whimper in the future is if cjbruce's game launches and creates an influx of new members, but that's a massive longshot in multiple ways.

Thanks for everything GTM, but I think your time has come.
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
  • Rep: 9
  • "I HATE SEBASTIAN COE!"
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: TheRoboteer#8784
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2019, 04:42:22 AM »
I'd like the site to not take 30 seconds to load any page when I'm logged in on my desktop. It's basically stopped me from checking the forums.

Real talk though, the community is past the point of no return I'm pretty sure. Most/all of the 'pillars' of the community are gone, RA2 content has slowed to a crawl and non-IRL stuff has been nonexistent for months. There's no reason for anyone to come to GTM anymore. The discord has beyond sh**ty memes and the very occasional "here's a screenshot of my 700th IRL drumbot/flipper", and the forums have... I don't even know. Download links I guess. Maybe an IRL tournament every now and then, but even most of those are hosted off site nowadays, plus no real incentive to host means that I think tournament content on the forums will become more and more rare as fewer people can be arsed with putting in the effort.

It's nice that Kill finally giving up seems to have been a wake up call, but really you're months, maybe over a year or more too late. Too many important community members have moved on. The only way I see GTM not completely going out with a whimper in the future is if cjbruce's game launches and creates an influx of new members, but that's a massive longshot in multiple ways.

Have you considered leaving if there's so little left in the site for you?

The constant defeatism helps no-one, and frankly just makes you look like one of those "everything's pointless" 14 year olds
Notable Tournament Performances:
The Beginner's Guide to IRL:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/tutorials-and-tips/irl-a-beginner's-guide

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2019, 04:57:02 AM »

The constant defeatism helps no-one, and frankly just makes you look like one of those "everything's pointless" 14 year olds
Encouraging people to leave is probably the absolute last thing that people in GTM should be doing if you want the community to last for even the mid-term future. Maybe gloomy blogposting won't help either. I just wanted to type out my feelings on where I think the community is headed. I'm not trying to pose as an edgy nihilistic kid for cool points.

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2019, 05:00:45 AM »

Encouraging people to leave is probably the absolute last thing that people in GTM should be doing if you want the community to last for even the mid-term future. Maybe gloomy blogposting won't help either. I just wanted to type out my feelings on where I think the community is headed. I'm not trying to pose as an edgy nihilistic kid for cool points.
You gotta see the fact that communities change. Not everybody is gonna like the changes that happen, but it'll happen nonetheless. The old pillars of the community may be gone but new ones have/will rise up to take their place. This is just the natural progression of a game as old members get burned out and new members come in, and you can't deny the fact that there ARE new members coming in.

You don't have to like the changes that are happening, but acting as though it's the end of the world and providing no actual feedback on why you believe this or how you'd fix it (or in this case, just throwing your hands up and saying it can't be fixed) contributes nothing

Offline Billy5545

• Best Newcomer 2018
  • Rep: 4
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Kendor#3191
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2019, 05:02:52 AM »

Honestly, I think IRL can attract people to this, because they look good, as well as being like bots you see or could make IRL. Also, i believe that GTM will adapt itself to RR2, plus there's promising newer members (like ones that joined from 2015-now) too

Offline 09090901

• competitive irl
  • Rep: 22
  • anti-boomer super soldier
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2019, 05:46:14 AM »
i'm just going to be honest and say that I don't really know where gtm fits in anymore with the current ra2 community. gtm is no longer the only ra2 community around, and its debatable if it's even the most active/popular nowadays. the general consensus that I get from most members is that this isn't the main community (can't blame them tbh) for them even if the active ra2 population is shared amongst all of the groups. obviously there are people who feel that gtm is the main community still, but continuing to treat it as if it's the sole pillar of ra2 isn't a good way forwards imo as the general vibe I get is that people care about ra2, not gtm

these last few years have seen maybe the most dramatic paradigm shift in terms of our userbase, and idk about anyone else but at this point it honestly feels like there's a massive divide within the ra2 community. think back to the fall of 2017, but maybe a tad less open and hostile with one another. idk how else to put it, but it feels like gtm is a forum that's occupied by multiple groups that have just tolerate one another rather than one single community.

im not asking anyone to change their views or how things are ran off-site. obviously it's the job of gtm's staff to make changes that would better reflect the current views of its userbase, but I'm not really sure where we're supposed to go besides "ban so and so and add this feature here" (not saying that either option is off the table"

im not trying to go full "waaa gtm/ra2 is dying", but I think separating ra2 from gtm is an important factor when deciding it's future
DSL-IRL is the libtard’s meta. Go drink more soylent, retard! #BLUELIVESMATTER

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2019, 05:51:37 AM »
i'm just going to be honest and say that I don't really know where gtm fits in anymore with the current ra2 community. gtm is no longer the only ra2 community around, and its debatable if it's even the most active/popular nowadays. the general consensus that I get from most members is that this isn't the main community (can't blame them tbh) for them even if the active ra2 population is shared amongst all of the groups. obviously there are people who feel that gtm is the main community still, but continuing to treat it as if it's the sole pillar of ra2 isn't a good way forwards imo.

these last few years have seen maybe the most dramatic paradigm shift in terms of our userbase, and idk about anyone else but at this point it honestly feels like there's a massive divide within the ra2 community. think back to the fall of 2017, but maybe a tad less open and hostile with one another. idk how else to put it, but it feels like gtm is a forum that's occupied by multiple groups that have just tolerate one another rather than one single community.

im not asking anyone to change their views or how things are ran off-site. obviously it's the job of gtm's staff to make changes that would better reflect the current views of its userbase, but I'm not really sure where we're supposed to go besides "ban so and so and add this feature here" (not saying that either option is off the table"

im not trying to go full "waaa gtm/ra2 is dying", but I think separating ra2 from gtm is an important factor when deciding it's future
I'm not sure the other RA2 communities can survive without GTM, even if it's just as a resource centre. This place has 10+ years worth of files, data, tutorials, developments etc on it. I know there's folks who disagree with me but I still feel it IS the central pillar of the RA2 community. It's no longer the ONLY pillar, but if it falls so does everyone else.

Offline TheOrcCorp

• I push buttons and hope GTM doesn't explode.
  • Rep: 20
  • A mean, green, small brained machine!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2019, 06:03:36 AM »
i'm just going to be honest and say that I don't really know where gtm fits in anymore with the current ra2 community. gtm is no longer the only ra2 community around, and its debatable if it's even the most active/popular nowadays. the general consensus that I get from most members is that this isn't the main community (can't blame them tbh) for them even if the active ra2 population is shared amongst all of the groups. obviously there are people who feel that gtm is the main community still, but continuing to treat it as if it's the sole pillar of ra2 isn't a good way forwards imo.

I'm not sure the other RA2 communities can survive without GTM, even if it's just as a resource centre. This place has 10+ years worth of files, data, tutorials, developments etc on it. I know there's folks who disagree with me but I still feel it IS the central pillar of the RA2 community. It's no longer the ONLY pillar, but if it falls so does everyone else.
I agree with Robo.
GTM 2017 Awards - Most Unique Bots (shared with DSC) and Most Enthusiastic Member!
GTM 2018 Awards - Friendliest and Kindest/Most Unique Bots/Best Tournament 2018/Best Tournament by Editing/Best Tournament by Matches!
GTM 2019 Awards - Friendliest and Kindest(how)/Favourite Staff Member/Hall of Fame Inductee

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2019, 06:21:41 AM »
I think geice and I share a similar viewpoint on this. I've been talking from the perspective of the GTM community. The site itself will obviously be fine as a download hub/video archive while RA2 is still a thing. I'm just lamenting the loss of the people, ya know? And I think more people will leave the GTM community, and they'll leave quicker than they can be replaced in terms of value to the community. The playerbase of RA2 is and will continue to become more atomised into more focused little groups with their own discords, and that will lead to people interacting with GTM less and less, except to use it as an archive for tournament threads maybe.

Offline 09090901

• competitive irl
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2019, 06:29:39 AM »
not trying to change the subject, but we're currently looking into appointing someone to head admin to fill kill's position

it's not set in stone yet, but we do want to have it set up to where the userbase has direct influence over who takes the position

also I'm going to bed for now so this is on hoppin for now. please clap

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2019, 06:43:03 AM »
not trying to change the subject, but we're currently looking into appointing someone to head admin to fill kill's position

it's not set in stone yet, but we do want to have it set up to where the userbase has direct influence over who takes the position

TBH I think the 2018 awards were evidence that we shouldn't let people vote on stuff like this

Offline Dreamcast

• Rep: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2019, 06:47:35 AM »

TBH I think the 2018 awards were evidence that we shouldn't let people vote on stuff like this

Geese also said the staff is "appointing" a new admin. I assume us plebs are getting a "yay" "nay" vote.

Offline 09090901

• competitive irl
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2019, 06:48:24 AM »

ouch

but you're right. idk yet how it'll end up, but we'll try to find a way to prevent boomers/zoomers from having too significant of an impact on the result (though I do feel they deserve a small say on the future of gtm)

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2019, 07:05:00 AM »

Clap
I vote for Geese/Hop as admin
Clap