Author Topic: What would you like to see from GTM.  (Read 4792 times)

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
What would you like to see from GTM.
« on: January 17, 2019, 10:40:52 AM »
Hey guys, with Kill's recent departure I feel like it might be finally time for this thread.

With what's left of this niche community I was wondering if there was anything you guys would like to see going forward into the future.

Examples include:
-Subforums for certain popular/unique tournament series Ex: Orc Wars, GTMCS, NOVA, etc
-An actual attempt to finish DSL 3
-Tourney signups listed on the front page

Please feel free to comment anything you come up with yourselves as well.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: What would you like to see from GTM.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 10:42:26 AM »
i personally like option 2/3

Offline alloftheman

• Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 11:00:08 AM »
All of the above sound great to me

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Rep: 10
  • -rep TheRoboteer. "queermint"
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Hoppin#0013
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 11:01:36 AM »
Suggestion 3 seems really great ngl. I've been running some "community events"over on the OW discord, would love to bring them here.

Example
Things I did & done

Offline Nightraven Shade

• Beetleweight
  • Rep: 3
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 11:02:29 AM »
Only really a couple things that I'd say need doing.

Have all tournaments out in open not special discord only servers nobody knows about. By extension the host will still have option of allowing someone to join or not but at least it shows there are active tournaments.

Tournaments to actually finish in a good time as it gets to a point where waiting months for the next round of a tournament again it shows that it's not really active.

Try more crossovers with other groups or even have the possibility to merge with them and have 2 different groups under same banner with own rulesets but allow ability to interact with each other easier (and I mean actual bots groups not the ones that make up imaginary fights) I believe someone has a loose irl ruleset which would be great for new builders as a between ruleset they can use while learning irl.

Offline pokebro14

• Your mother
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Interior crocodile alligator 🤔
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 11:30:49 AM »
Suggestion 3 seems really great ngl. I've been running some "community events"over on the OW discord, would love to bring them here.

Example

Agreed, more community based large tournaments would be awesome. Would be a great way of bringing the community together. Would also be nice to see variety in the things they do there.

Another thing I believe should be implemented is privileges. Give players benefits if they do something good for the community or have been proven. Give them privlages like making tutorials.

Also this is a bit of a wak idea but maybe make it so bots that are liked the most get to be featured. I believe some websites do this. It could be a good way of showing off some of the best the community has to offer.
Achievements and tournament placings

Offline infiniteinertia

• Rep: 6
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 11:35:14 AM »
k343 might have left but i have returned (for the time being)

actually the only reason i bothered to play this game again and even mosey around this place was the fact that it was still alive. really, i almost fully expected to log-on here and find this place dead.

but im happy that gtm lives, and this is a pretty tight knit community still as i can see. sure the posting is a lot less frequent, but for those still around im sure we can put our heads together and find something that could spark some more interest into the game overall. the game is surely not dead, and for those who have been around since the early 2000s as 090901 mentioned, there's a part within us that doesn't fully let this game go.

i'm going to see what i can do to on the stock side of the game now that i dont work 2 jobs and have some free time at nights on weekdays to mess around. personally i've been thinking about a fully re-balanced implementation of the stock game, with added component customization options and such. like i said im gonna mess around with the idea for a while and see what i can make of it.

im all here for feedback on that, as well as to make suggestions for other ideas here at gtm.
#MakeStockGreatAgain

#BANtheHS The Movement

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 11:38:19 AM »
k343 might have left but i have returned (for the time being)

actually the only reason i bothered to play this game again and even mosey around this place was the fact that it was still alive. really, i almost fully expected to log-on here and find this place dead.

but im happy that gtm lives, and this is a pretty tight knit community still as i can see. sure the posting is a lot less frequent, but for those still around im sure we can put our heads together and find something that could spark some more interest into the game overall. the game is surely not dead, and for those who have been around since the early 2000s as 090901 mentioned, there's a part within us that doesn't fully let this game go.

i'm going to see what i can do to on the stock side of the game now that i dont work 2 jobs and have some free time at nights on weekdays to mess around. personally i've been thinking about a fully re-balanced implementation of the stock game, with added component customization options and such. like i said im gonna mess around with the idea for a while and see what i can make of it.

im all here for feedback on that, as well as to make suggestions for other ideas here at gtm.
This guy for admin pls (im genuinely serious)

Offline Redalert

• The inventor of Wandering Spinners and invincirammers
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -48
  • Yes, I’m an outsider.
    • View Profile
    • RedStorm's RA2 website
    • Awards
  • Discord: RedStorm
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 12:02:23 PM »
Hey guys, with Kill's recent departure I feel like it might be finally time for this thread.

With what's left of this niche community I was wondering if there was anything you guys would like to see going forward into the future.

Examples include:
-Subforums for certain popular/unique tournament series Ex: Orc Wars, GTMCS, NOVA, etc

I'd like to see GTM host a yearly IRL battlebots competition.

Another thing I'd like to see- DSL 2.3 completed.

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 12:06:10 PM »
Have all tournaments out in open not special discord only servers nobody knows about. By extension the host will still have option of allowing someone to join or not but at least it shows there are active tournaments.
This is one thing I wanted to do is try to make this place sorta of a hub for all the RA2 groups, as in you could open up GTM and know what tournaments/events/etc are going on in servers without having to be a member of all the different servers.

Tournaments to actually finish in a good time as it gets to a point where waiting months for the next round of a tournament again it shows that it's not really active.
It's something we all would like to see, but I don't really see any good way to motivate people to finish them without discouraging people from hosting in the first place.

Another thing I believe should be implemented is privileges. Give players benefits if they do something good for the community or have been proven. Give them privlages like making tutorials.
The only issue is there really isn't any "privileges" to give out beside titles and making it so only certain people could write tutorials just doesn't make sense to me.

Also this is a bit of a wak idea but maybe make it so bots that are liked the most get to be featured. I believe some websites do this. It could be a good way of showing off some of the best the community has to offer.
I like the idea, I've got some ideas with how to feature bots, only thing is its gonna be a PITA to look thru and find the most liked bots for the month.

Considering you are a moderator on this forum and can basically do whatever you wants what's stopping you from doing so?  :dumb)

Offline Redalert

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Yes, I’m an outsider.
    • View Profile
    • RedStorm's RA2 website
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 12:08:12 PM »
We need to assign more moderators and advanced users.

We also have some new veterans, I think...

Offline F1Krazy

• Put me on a pedestal and I'll only disappoint you
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 4
  • Tell me I'm exceptional, I promise to exploit you
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 12:28:57 PM »
Have all tournaments out in open not special discord only servers nobody knows about. By extension the host will still have option of allowing someone to join or not but at least it shows there are active tournaments..
Yes please. I'm in Discord servers for three different RA2 tourneys now, plus Sagaris' ARC-style thing he's doing, plus the main GTM server. I didn't know about alloftheman's tourney because he posted about it on Discord but not here. Having everything in one place would be a bit more convenient.

personally i've been thinking about a fully re-balanced implementation of the stock game, with added component customization options and such. like i said im gonna mess around with the idea for a while and see what i can make of it.

ngl, I would probably play Stock (and Ironforge) a lot more often if they had 2.2CE levels of component customisation (or even just base 2.2 levels). It'd also lessen the "all competitive Stock bots look the same" issue that I've heard people bring up in the past.

I'm all for DSL 3 getting completed as well, there's already been a lot of progress made and a lot of ideas floated around. The main thing we need is a community consensus on what's going to make the cut and what isn't, what's needed and what isn't.
My DSL Showcase

Offline Nightraven Shade

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 12:30:14 PM »

It's something we all would like to see, but I don't really see any good way to motivate people to finish them without discouraging people from hosting in the first place.

only way i can see around this is rather then making big tournaments which will take a lot of time have people just do small ones with the only exception being if they show they can actually manage big tournaments within a reasonable timescale. having not hosted im going to guess a lot of hosts like to have all footage recorded before actually editing, instead encourage hosts to record and edit on a episode by episode bases so there is less time between signups ending and videos being released and will also put less time restraints as you will only need an hour or so per week then having to find 5 or 6 hours at a time to do everything at once.

Offline pokebro14

• Your mother
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2019, 02:25:33 PM »

Examples include:

I'd like to see GTM host a yearly IRL battlebots competition.

Another thing I'd like to see- DSL 2.3 completed.
Yearly competitions you mean like errrrrrr
r o b o t  f o o t b a l l e v e n t

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
  • Rep: 9
  • "I HATE SEBASTIAN COE!"
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: TheRoboteer#8784
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2019, 03:33:47 PM »
A 'mute topic' button
Notable Tournament Performances:
The Beginner's Guide to IRL:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/tutorials-and-tips/irl-a-beginner's-guide

Offline Dark-Al

• That guy who makes long posts.
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
  • That's not how you build a Hydraulic crusher mate
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2019, 03:55:00 PM »
I'm a fan of suggestion three. Being that anyone who looks at the front page can go a see any tournament in sign-ups, without having to scroll through the forums to get to the desired thread, allowing for users to pick-up and join tournaments with ease.

Apart from that. I feel that the wiki isn't really being used that much. With exceptions of users performing minor edits on their user page, and when a certain someone spammed up the wiki more recently. Said wiki is used as much as a broken knife. So, either we could encourage users to make edits and expand upon wiki, updating upon outdated articles such as updating the article about razor tips, or just adding more knowledge on tournaments etc. Alternatively, we could just get rid of it all together since it's not being used by anyone at the moment.

Offline Redalert

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Yes, I’m an outsider.
    • View Profile
    • RedStorm's RA2 website
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2019, 03:59:10 PM »
I'm a fan of suggestion three. Being that anyone who looks at the front page can go a see any tournament in sign-ups, without having to scroll through the forums to get to the desired thread, allowing for users to pick-up and join tournaments with ease.

Apart from that. I feel that the wiki isn't really being used that much. With exceptions of users performing minor edits on their user page, and when a certain someone spammed up the wiki more recently. Said wiki is used as much as a broken knife. So, either we could encourage users to make edits and expand upon wiki, updating upon outdated articles such as updating the article about razor tips, or just adding more knowledge on tournaments etc. Alternatively, we could just get rid of it all together since it's not being used by anyone at the moment.

Again, there are people outside of GTM that look at it. RA2 Wiki is a great resource out there. By getting rid of it, you're preventing everyone outside of the community from getting advice from it. And honestly, many of the topics I edited were based on truth.

Offline Billy5545

• Best Newcomer 2018
  • Rep: 4
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: Kendor#3191
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2019, 04:54:17 PM »
I think all of those suggestions in the opening post sound good to me. In addition, I'll like to see this community being made more welcoming to newbies, as well as the wiki being updated.

Also, finding some way to integrate Discord and forum stuffs. Like there's stuffs that are Discord exclusive, and that not everyone here uses Discord. Or some RA2 players don't use the forum

Offline pokebro14

• Your mother
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2019, 04:58:14 PM »
I don't know a single person who has ever used the wiki for actual info.

Offline Nightraven Shade

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2019, 05:58:22 PM »
I don't know a single person who has ever used the wiki for actual info.

The wiki itself is useless as anyone can edit it anyway and just put what they want. If going to try and use something to get people interested or introduce them to ra2 then a universal YouTube for tournament videos would be a better option to showcase what is happening rather then just have lots of info nobody wants to read