Author Topic: What can Gametechmods as a community do for you?  (Read 3627 times)

Offline Asbestosstar

• Most Bizzare of 2017. Also2nd Best new host of 2017
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: -4
    • Asbestosstar Gaming
    • View Profile
    • Asbestosstar.com
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
Re: What can Gametechmods as a community do for you?
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2018, 09:09:46 PM »
Lastly, I agree with the sentiments that the GTM discord should be more prominent. It is what other communities base their views of us on, and its what most of us base our views on. Forums themselves are a relic of the past, killed off by subbreddits, and what remains were left were buried by discord. Like people mentioned earlier, the image system is a pain, and in general most discord functions are easier to use and mange for both the user and staff. If nothing else, from what I've seen is that most newer and more active users tend to prefer discord, while people who prefer the forum tend to contribute rarely and/or are borderline inactive. By no means am I trying to attack anybody for their activity, but I think it shows that the discord should be the primary focus, and that the discord is our best chance at gaining new members. Especially with how connected communities are nowadays.
outdated or not, the ability to save posts permanently is what matters in the end.. it's basically a complete waste to show bots on discord because of it

Sometimes, but not always, i agree forums are going out the door, but are not comply dead yet. I agree that sometimes saving a post is nice, but not always the best, i often like to keep lots of the stuff i post saved in an archive, but i almost never read most of it anyhow. A problem with that is that lots of the stuff you post is boring and you will forget about it anyhow. We do need better linking to the discord in someways, but you should still be able to get everything from the forum. What We Can theoretically do is have it so the discord is more for chatting and the forum is more for just information. Because who likes to wait hours for a response?

I have been hearing of this GTM is dead stuff and GTM is toxic stuff ever since i joined IIRC. And its not that bad.

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
  • Rep: 19
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2018, 10:18:23 PM »
re 👏 brand 👏

ad 👏 ver 👏 tise 👏
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline Asbestosstar

• Super Heavyweight
    • Asbestosstar Gaming
    • View Profile
    • Asbestosstar.com
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2018, 05:14:42 PM »
ya, that would be awesome, we can make money back. To pay for everything.

Offline dragonsteincole

• IRL Pack Guy
  • Rep: 9
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2018, 08:36:10 PM »
Opinions will be a bit scattergun so here goes.

I'd be down with the idea of having the top-rated bots from showcases being displayed on the front page. That selection process shouldn't be fully automated however.

I'd eventually get over the loss of losing the BOTM spot I've made my own since October, because there's a tremendous amount of creativity in the showcases that gets glossed over sometimes. Being able to ping a vote to highlight bots would at least give people.something to do when browsing showcases. I would disagree with BOTM being a joke, unless the joke is at my expense for trying to set a high standard for my entries.

Whilst I think that Discord has a role that should be more prominent, it should never replace the forum's functions entirely. Ultimately GTM to most people inside and outside the community is the forum, and as tarnished as that reputation has been, the last few months have imo made steps towards the right direction.

The forum at the very least is a far better way of archiving and organising information than the Discord will ever be. Example, I feel more comfortable knowing I have a thread for IRL pack chat that people can suggest stuff, than being.pinged randomly on Discord and having to search through a huge chat history for what was suggested.

The fact everything is recorded and organised is an advantage over Discord too. Whilst the wiki may see little real activity, it does a great job in archiving the history of GTM.

Also here's a controversial opinion: I do think this site needs a hall of fame or alumni section. Not something that is open to people voting 10 times for banned scumbags for the memes, but there are currently and past members of GTM who have achieved some notable milestones in terms of RA2 or real-life robotics. A section of the site dedicated to highlighting these people to newcomers or even random people browsing the site might be a nice addition.

Offline Olister92

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • Trust no one, suspect everyone
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Olister92#9751
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2018, 10:45:20 AM »
I agree with DSC about GTM being an excellent place for archiving information and having somewhere you can easily find links to things (ie IRL packs) and you don't have to bug someone on Discord for it, I know I can be slightly guilty of that. I like the idea that I can use it as a backup of all my bot files I'm particular fond of so I can download them if I have my computer crash and I had to get a new one or something, I'd be mortified if I ever was to completely loose some of them as they do take time and effort to make, even for my standard of building

Discord is great for the instant feedback and getting to know the members community better because you can have good flowing conversation, it's also great for instant feed back.

To sum up really as a newish member I love being part of this community and I'm grateful for how welcoming everyone has been but some amalgamation between GTM and Discord would be ideal as they both serve their purposes 

Offline Scrap Daddy

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2018, 04:15:12 PM »
I'm honestly a bit confused what this is even all about. I've seen some of the most activity and best irl style bots and tournaments in recent memory. I kinda feel like the "toxicity" meme has gotten out of control, and those not in the meme circle thinks it's an actual issue.

Offline RpJk

• ♫Time has come to listen to the crying of their puppet souls♫
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -1
  • Done and done.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2018, 05:51:37 PM »
Even though I'm not predominantly active I'll throw my hat into the ring. A few opinions will be similar to others.

A few things I would like to see:

1. A redesigned website and logo.

This will be considerably controversial but I do think the design of the website needs an overhaul. It's simple to use yes but I just think that visually the website isn't appealing. Yes you can choose themes but doesn't really add much.

However that logo seriously needs modernising. As a way to generate creativity I would like to see a competition for the community to see who could design a new logo.

2. RA2 Wiki integrated into the Website and reimagined.
Personally I like the RA2 wiki cause it can be helpful but outside of an FAQ about the game, information about key members and tourneys and stuff like weapon types it can be thrown out or archived.

A proposal would be a history of the game and its community placed in a side section while the FAQ could replace the RA2 Wiki tab.

3. and I hate this one: Discord or Subreddit integration.
As what a few have said the truth is that forums are becoming a thing of the past and while the forum has fought against the odds of being alive this long without needing to change the tune much, we need to modernise. The simple way is to change the forum into something like a Reddit-esque forum or like a few have said integrate Discord.

4. Bring back Playground or an equivalent.
That is simple even though I remember it for a good while were most people posted. Still it should be brought back.

And thus my thoughts. It won't get heard as much but here goes.
Old Stock Showcase: https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=6590.0

I've moved to other forums. Under a different name. This is where it all began.

Offline Jonzu95

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: -27
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2018, 06:46:58 PM »
I love all of you

Offline Meganerdbomb

• Rep: 6
  • Are you not entertained?
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2018, 08:36:27 AM »
Here's how to really fix GTM.

1. Bring back the old image uploader.

2. Make #REALGTMDISCORD the official  Discord server

3. Unban everyone who's been banned ever in GTM history and just wait to see if they notice.

4. Start a Patreon to fund the forum, cuz that's what all the cool kids are doing now days.

5. Let anybody change rep again.
im just waiting for meganerdbomb to come along and kick things into gear.

Offline Asbestosstar

• Super Heavyweight
    • Asbestosstar Gaming
    • View Profile
    • Asbestosstar.com
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2018, 05:37:28 PM »
Here's how to really fix GTM.

1. Bring back the old image uploader.

2. Make #REALGTMDISCORD the official  Discord server

3. Unban everyone who's been banned ever in GTM history and just wait to see if they notice.

4. Start a Patreon to fund the forum, cuz that's what all the cool kids are doing now days.

5. Let anybody change rep again.

thats right my man!