Poll

In favour of these changes?

Yes.
10 (66.7%)
No.
5 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: The Challenge Board - Possible Improvement.  (Read 1960 times)

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Rep: 10
  • -rep TheRoboteer. "queermint"
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Hoppin#0013
The Challenge Board - Possible Improvement.
« on: July 14, 2018, 11:25:11 AM »
Hi all, decided to share the ideas we've had for the challenge board, these have been discuss in the Orc's Wars discord and the GTM discord. Now for those who haven't seen it, here was the initial plan I had.

The challenge board could be reverted into the old title system, to prevent large amounts of different titles being everywhere, I suggest it being HW only and split into 4 metas, DSL-S, IF, Stock and DSL-IRL.
These work as a king of the hill esque infinite tourney, we can implement leaderboards into this either per user, or per bot, in how many victories they've had etc. This led to mentions of giving "Legendary" status to some users or bots, if they've met the required number of wins.
Due to the mention of IRL, I'm sure you all have questions of the legitimacy of creating this sub section to the challenge board. We've come up with a few solutions to this, a. Imposing disclaimers that, "Your bot may have been accepted before, but due to the subjectivity of the meta, it can be rejected at any point", we chose this over a rule set as we felt that it'd be difficult to convert IRL builders to this mindset and overall counter intuitive to the meta. Following this, Orc had an idea to have an almost co-host to the challenge that would allow several opinions to be made, providing a fair evaluation on the bot, this is most likely to be notible builders. Finally, an arguement can be made that people will "tryhard" to win, but given that isn't what the meta is I feel that users aren't going to be making these poor tryhard bots with that intention.

Following this, there was an idea presented by geese, instead to have the each meta become the same weightclass, but it cycles every month, this would remove the possibility of having "Legendary bot" status.

A variation focus on the bot more compared to the builder was prototyped by Gulden, here's that.

Screenshot_496.png

This makes it so that it's a display on the bots itself, rather than the builders, this could also work for the rotational weightclass as it would just be the bot that won the previous challenge in that weightclass. However, this could create issues to do with too many titles that would be floating around the forums associated with the challenge belt.
Things I did & done

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: The Challenge Board - Possible Improvement.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 01:27:51 PM »
Idea for the challenge belt: Actually get a dedicated host for it. I do not intend to keep hosting it in perpetuity, I was hoping to just be a stopgap while a better solution/permanent host was found.
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline TheOrcCorp

• I push buttons and hope GTM doesn't explode.
  • Rep: 20
  • A mean, green, small brained machine!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 01:43:40 PM »
It's a tad confusing but I think it sounds like an improvement!
GTM 2017 Awards - Most Unique Bots (shared with DSC) and Most Enthusiastic Member!
GTM 2018 Awards - Friendliest and Kindest/Most Unique Bots/Best Tournament 2018/Best Tournament by Editing/Best Tournament by Matches!
GTM 2019 Awards - Friendliest and Kindest(how)/Favourite Staff Member/Hall of Fame Inductee

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 03:15:50 PM »
Better than current sh**hole we have

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 04:16:20 PM »
Idea for the challenge belt: Actually get a dedicated host for it. I do not intend to keep hosting it in perpetuity, I was hoping to just be a stopgap while a better solution/permanent host was found.

This is definite a good addition to the previously mentioned, it'll keep what can get accepted and won't consistant. However, you'd need to account for accessibility for the hosts themselves.

It's a tad confusing but I think it sounds like an improvement!

To sum it up in it's simplest form, the previous title system, but simplified to 4 metas only.
Things I did & done

Offline Billy5545

• Best Newcomer 2018
  • Rep: 4
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: Kendor#3191
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 06:07:01 PM »
It's a good idea. But I disagree with the part where only HW is allowed. I will like if all weight classes are represented, because this will add a bit more variety with bots in different weight classes

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 05:00:29 PM »
It's a good idea. But I disagree with the part where only HW is allowed. I will like if all weight classes are represented, because this will add a bit more variety with bots in different weight classes

Like said in the post, there is a possibility that we could set up a rotation of weightclasses per month. With that in mind, what weightclasses would be a good idea to include, I doubt it'd be a good idea to include Antweight and Beetleweight as no one really builds for them, but what about Superheavyweight?
Things I did & done

Offline superbomb122

• toomuchweight
  • Heavyweight
  • Really nothing special
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: superbomb122 #3549
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 05:07:30 PM »
I suggest the original BattleBots weight classes. (LW, MW, HW, SHW)
Phantom- OW4 quarterfinalist and PWS6 runner-up
All Guts, No Glory- CUndisputed Champ obv
Everything else I've made- sh**

Delete your account smh

(Phantom is cool)

Offline playzooki

• A title is a prefix or suffix added to someone's name in certain contexts. It may signify either veneration, an official position or a professional or academic qualification. In some languages, titles may be inserted before a last name (for example,
  • Rep: -34
    • View Profile
    • click to download more ram
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 02:41:56 PM »
would have voted yes if it wasnt for irl

Offline Dreamcast

• Rep: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2018, 02:46:34 PM »
I hope some of the people who support this system participate. A lack of participation will feed off of itself, remember the last reformation?

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2018, 05:26:45 AM »
would have voted yes if it wasnt for irl

I hope some of the people who support this system participate. A lack of participation will feed off of itself, remember the last reformation?

We hope with the introduction of IRL it'll be increasing popularity of the challenge and hopefully see some use out of it.

Also, if you did vote "no" please, notify us why. We'd love to hear why and expand on our points to answer your concerns or re-think our solution.
Things I did & done

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2018, 06:57:26 AM »
my problem with this idea is, what's stopping someone from designing a dedicated counter to the current belt holder in order to simply take over the belt without a fight? i imagine the title system would eventually devolve into mass counterpicking.

i like the idea besides that, i'm just worried about this.

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2018, 07:45:26 AM »
my problem with this idea is, what's stopping someone from designing a dedicated counter to the current belt holder in order to simply take over the belt without a fight? i imagine the title system would eventually devolve into mass counterpicking.

i like the idea besides that, i'm just worried about this.

Well. The belt holder wouldnt have to enter the same bot as we're more leaning towards the builder being the belt holder and not the bot
Things I did & done