Site Information > Site News and Feedback

rep

(1/30) > >>

Reier:
disclaimer: no flame wars please. I know you people. keep it civil.
anyway

what is the point
people are just like "lol its rep who cares why its here!!!". Yeah it's dumb and ineffective. So...why have it then
It doesn't achieve its intended purpose, to show members who is respected and who isn't - which in itself only helps newbies who don't know all the users yet. But right now it's completely useless for them because of people just rating people randomly for "lols" ie andy currently has 14 for instance.
if someone has a legitimate point to keep the rep system that's fine but if your only reason to keep it is "because its funnyy xdddddd" that's a lame excuse.

--- Quote from: GTM official rules ---Valid Reason — Things like “’cuz he’s cool” or "'cuz he's not cool" are not valid reasons for changing someone’s reputation. If you want to change someone's rep than please say what they did to earn their "cool" or "uncool" status. The logs will be scanned on a regular basis to ensure that people are providing valid reasons for changing someone else's rep. It’s all fun and games until an administrator sees it and decides to take away your rep powers.
--- End quote ---

yeah like anybody's done that in the past 2 years.
of course with a system like this people are going to abuse it and its almost impossible not to because there's no reason to anyway. that was like the entire point of the racecarlock episode was to show how pointless it was if people somehow didn't know already

i couldnt care less what my rep is or what anyone else's is because i know it's moot, but frankly i'm in favor of doing anything to make this forum less easy for stupid people to be stupid. right now it's just a vent for petty people to click a button and take it out on their target or just a lame avenue to spam memes and crap. as it is the only ones who may be helped by the system are the ones most likely to be hurt by it. I'm all in favor of removing it.

Badger:
I like the rep system, but I'd prefer if everyone could +rep and -rep, like it used to be. It's good to have a system to indicate that you liked/didn't like a user's post without having to make a reply.

Vincent:
Yeah, I don't see the point either.  We didn't have this 10 years ago and it was fine without it.

I can see how it can be abused, trolling some people for some meaningless reasons for it and attacking someone's opinion, which isn't valid enough to warrant it.

RedAce:
I mean, if we have to have it at all, I guess we can just let the members who are mature and trusted by the community to have it and let those who are just using to troll people should just lose it.  But otherwise, I'm fine with it just gone.  Maybe if there were true incentives for positive rep from respected members, then maybe I'd have a reason to stick with it and have a reason to even care for it.

yugitom:

--- Quote from: Badger on March 30, 2016, 09:45:35 AM ---I like the rep system, but I'd prefer if everyone could +rep and -rep, like it used to be. It's good to have a system to indicate that you liked/didn't like a user's post without having to make a reply.

--- End quote ---
Well, other forums have a system in which you can like individual posts and not a rep system. From what you said, I'd imagine you'd like that better.

I dunno, it seems like something that can definitely be monitored if someone were to be given that specific task on the moderating team but it does seem to be so insignificant that monitoring it would be useless. I have never really had a strong opinion on this and I think I could probably be convinced either way, at this point. However, my current view is that, if we got rid of rep, it might make users more inclined to be a good member of the forum on a regular basis because they no longer have something already established for them (their rep) to tell the new guys how good they are. I don't know if anyone does anything here 'for the rep' but I suppose it would be a downside to get rid of the system if some people's good deeds were based on the assumption that they'd get rewarded with +rep later on. I also think that titles (AU, Vet, etc.) are a good way of judging who's a good person for a newbie to listen to, even though it isn't always reflected in their actions. On the other hand, the rep system isn't doing any damage to the forum and proportions are usually right (see Trov, Craaig, RedAce, etc.) Those blown out of proportion are HA and Racecarlock and I can't particularly think of any other user that has rep out of proportion with what they're actually like.

Basically, I'm teetering on the edge of wanting to remove the rep system but I could vote either way, so I'm going to abstain from the vote, for now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version