• Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
rep
« on: March 30, 2016, 09:36:36 AM »
disclaimer: no flame wars please. I know you people. keep it civil.
anyway

what is the point
people are just like "lol its rep who cares why its here!!!". Yeah it's dumb and ineffective. So...why have it then
It doesn't achieve its intended purpose, to show members who is respected and who isn't - which in itself only helps newbies who don't know all the users yet. But right now it's completely useless for them because of people just rating people randomly for "lols" ie andy currently has 14 for instance.
if someone has a legitimate point to keep the rep system that's fine but if your only reason to keep it is "because its funnyy xdddddd" that's a lame excuse.

Quote from: GTM official rules
Valid Reason — Things like “’cuz he’s cool” or "'cuz he's not cool" are not valid reasons for changing someone’s reputation. If you want to change someone's rep than please say what they did to earn their "cool" or "uncool" status. The logs will be scanned on a regular basis to ensure that people are providing valid reasons for changing someone else's rep. It’s all fun and games until an administrator sees it and decides to take away your rep powers.

yeah like anybody's done that in the past 2 years.
of course with a system like this people are going to abuse it and its almost impossible not to because there's no reason to anyway. that was like the entire point of the racecarlock episode was to show how pointless it was if people somehow didn't know already

i couldnt care less what my rep is or what anyone else's is because i know it's moot, but frankly i'm in favor of doing anything to make this forum less easy for stupid people to be stupid. right now it's just a vent for petty people to click a button and take it out on their target or just a lame avenue to spam memes and crap. as it is the only ones who may be helped by the system are the ones most likely to be hurt by it. I'm all in favor of removing it.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 03:29:02 AM by Thyrus »
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: rep
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 09:45:35 AM »
I like the rep system, but I'd prefer if everyone could +rep and -rep, like it used to be. It's good to have a system to indicate that you liked/didn't like a user's post without having to make a reply.
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline Vincent

• Antweight
  • Rep: 1
  • DSL2's UI/Logo Artist. Better known as: Nacon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 10:01:19 AM »
Yeah, I don't see the point either.  We didn't have this 10 years ago and it was fine without it.

I can see how it can be abused, trolling some people for some meaningless reasons for it and attacking someone's opinion, which isn't valid enough to warrant it.
Where did I go?   Everywhere else. There's a world out there.

Offline RedAce

• Host of The Award Winning Deathmatch Series
  • Rep: 21
  • Yep, I'm that RedAce guy.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: ThatRedAceGuy#3618
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 10:29:40 AM »
I mean, if we have to have it at all, I guess we can just let the members who are mature and trusted by the community to have it and let those who are just using to troll people should just lose it.  But otherwise, I'm fine with it just gone.  Maybe if there were true incentives for positive rep from respected members, then maybe I'd have a reason to stick with it and have a reason to even care for it.

Offline yugitom

• Rep: 17
  • Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 10:43:40 AM »
I like the rep system, but I'd prefer if everyone could +rep and -rep, like it used to be. It's good to have a system to indicate that you liked/didn't like a user's post without having to make a reply.
Well, other forums have a system in which you can like individual posts and not a rep system. From what you said, I'd imagine you'd like that better.

I dunno, it seems like something that can definitely be monitored if someone were to be given that specific task on the moderating team but it does seem to be so insignificant that monitoring it would be useless. I have never really had a strong opinion on this and I think I could probably be convinced either way, at this point. However, my current view is that, if we got rid of rep, it might make users more inclined to be a good member of the forum on a regular basis because they no longer have something already established for them (their rep) to tell the new guys how good they are. I don't know if anyone does anything here 'for the rep' but I suppose it would be a downside to get rid of the system if some people's good deeds were based on the assumption that they'd get rewarded with +rep later on. I also think that titles (AU, Vet, etc.) are a good way of judging who's a good person for a newbie to listen to, even though it isn't always reflected in their actions. On the other hand, the rep system isn't doing any damage to the forum and proportions are usually right (see Trov, Craaig, RedAce, etc.) Those blown out of proportion are HA and Racecarlock and I can't particularly think of any other user that has rep out of proportion with what they're actually like.

Basically, I'm teetering on the edge of wanting to remove the rep system but I could vote either way, so I'm going to abstain from the vote, for now.

Offline Meganerdbomb

• Rep: 6
  • Are you not entertained?
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 10:52:31 AM »
This coming from the guy behind a movement to give a random inactive member 100 rep....

And despite all the shenanigans, decent members tend to have positive rep, while n00bs have negative rep, so it does serve its purpose to an extent.
im just waiting for meganerdbomb to come along and kick things into gear.

Offline The Red Blur

• The real Jeff
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -10
  • Jesus, climbed up to -11 rep
    • not yet, m80 ;)
    • View Profile
    • completely uninteresting website.com
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 11:05:20 AM »
I couldn't agree with you more, Reier. Rep is a virtually useless system, as those who can give or take rep just spam absolute sh**e with it. An example of this is how I quickly gained masses of -rep. Sure, I was a total noob and a bit of a dick back then, but I have nearly as much -rep as playzooki, and that's not good.

If you want to see some examples, just take a look:

My personal favourites are "everyone else is doing it" and "gives better head than Reier"

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 11:13:49 AM »
Well, other forums have a system in which you can like individual posts and not a rep system. From what you said, I'd imagine you'd like that better.

I dunno, it seems like something that can definitely be monitored if someone were to be given that specific task on the moderating team but it does seem to be so insignificant that monitoring it would be useless. I have never really had a strong opinion on this and I think I could probably be convinced either way, at this point. However, my current view is that, if we got rid of rep, it might make users more inclined to be a good member of the forum on a regular basis because they no longer have something already established for them (their rep) to tell the new guys how good they are. I don't know if anyone does anything here 'for the rep' but I suppose it would be a downside to get rid of the system if some people's good deeds were based on the assumption that they'd get rewarded with +rep later on. I also think that titles (AU, Vet, etc.) are a good way of judging who's a good person for a newbie to listen to, even though it isn't always reflected in their actions. On the other hand, the rep system isn't doing any damage to the forum and proportions are usually right (see Trov, Craaig, RedAce, etc.) Those blown out of proportion are HA and Racecarlock and I can't particularly think of any other user that has rep out of proportion with what they're actually like.

Basically, I'm teetering on the edge of wanting to remove the rep system but I could vote either way, so I'm going to abstain from the vote, for now.
I'm actually on another forum that uses the "like" system. It's OK, but I prefer the rep system since you can -rep stupid posts, and a like counter doesn't really mean anything, whereas a rep counter is actually a decent indicator for newbies for whose advice to listen to in showcases.

I couldn't agree with you more, Reier. Rep is a virtually useless system, as those who can give or take rep just spam absolute sh**e with it. An example of this is how I quickly gained masses of -rep. Sure, I was a total noob and a bit of a dick back then, but I have nearly as much -rep as playzooki, and that's not good.

If you want to see some examples, just take a look:

(Image removed from quote.)

My personal favourites are "everyone else is doing it" and "gives better head than Reier"
tbh you gained a lot of -rep quickly for doing a lot of stupid stuff quickly. You gained rep back because you got better, I think it shows the system working.

Offline The Red Blur

• The real Jeff
  • Heavyweight
    • not yet, m80 ;)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 11:17:50 AM »
In all fairness, I got muted before I could do a lot of stupid stuff. The rest of it is literally just spam. One of them says "pointless bumping", BECAUSE I mentioned that someone had bumped a thread pointlessly. Another, I believe is simply labelled "spam".

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 11:20:53 AM »
the problem isn't so much whether it's accurate or inaccurate, but that it's way too easy to exploit. and as there's no way/reason to moderate stupid reps there's not really much of a point for the system at all.
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge

Offline yugitom

• Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2016, 11:25:58 AM »
Well, I don't see everyone with rep powers exploiting it, so why not just restrict certain people from being able to affect rep?

Offline Meganerdbomb

• Rep: 6
  • Are you not entertained?
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2016, 11:26:03 AM »
the problem isn't so much whether it's accurate or inaccurate, but that it's way too easy to exploit. and as there's no way/reason to moderate stupid reps there's not really much of a point for the system at all.
But you only got butthurt about it when it started affecting you.  ;)
im just waiting for meganerdbomb to come along and kick things into gear.

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2016, 11:28:48 AM »
Well, I don't see everyone with rep powers exploiting it, so why not just restrict certain people from being able to affect rep?
but the thing is it would be a pain in the butt to do all the time and it would be "subjective" etc, because nobody would stay consistent in their rep quality. its much easier to just ditch it.
either everyone should be able to do it or nobody imo. but everyone getting to do it would be a disaster so just don't.
ReiAI pack for Ironforge

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2016, 11:31:00 AM »
but the thing is it would be a pain in the butt to do all the time and it would be "subjective" etc, because nobody would stay consistent in their rep quality. its much easier to just ditch it.
either everyone should be able to do it or nobody imo. but everyone getting to do it would be a disaster so just don't.
If you see an unjustified rep you can just rep in the other direction to nullify it tho

Offline yugitom

• Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2016, 11:31:47 AM »
It wouldn't be subjective if we were to judge those exploiting the system using the rules already stated about affecting rep. From then on, it wouldn't be difficult to just restrict rep powers from those who exploit the system if people raise a concern about a certain member.

If you see an unjustified rep you can just rep in the other direction to nullify it tho
However, that could just turn into a rep war between those two and clog up the karma change history of the unfortunate person they're fighting over.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2016, 11:36:15 AM »
It wouldn't be subjective if we were to judge those exploiting the system using the rules already stated about affecting rep. From then on, it wouldn't be difficult to just restrict rep powers from those who exploit the system if people raise a concern about a certain member.

However, that could just turn into a rep war between those two and clog up the karma change history of the unfortunate person they're fighting over.
With how infrequently rep is given ATM I don't think anyone cares enough to do that. Anyway you could set it so you can only rep someone once every X days? And give warnings for blatant abuse?

I think its a cool system and I would be disappointed if it were to go

Offline yugitom

• Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2016, 11:42:37 AM »
But, imagine if someone were to do it for TRB and the amount of times he has received a -rep that contained an insufficient reason. That would definitely look very messy and those who want to keep his rep higher would probably just end up giving up.

I think keeping this system would probably mean reform and I wouldn't mind seeing that, even if it's just banning certain users from having rep powers.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2016, 11:46:18 AM »
But, imagine if someone were to do it for TRB and the amount of times he has received a -rep that contained an insufficient reason. That would definitely look very messy and those who want to keep his rep higher would probably just end up giving up.

I think keeping this system would probably mean reform and I wouldn't mind seeing that, even if it's just banning certain users from having rep powers.
Personally, I think having a 3-day cooldown (to encourage careful use) on repping a person (+ve or -ve) and giving XX% warning level for abuse, and opening it to everyone would be pretty cool. I don't think a week trial of whatever system would hurt either

Offline The Red Blur

• The real Jeff
  • Heavyweight
    • not yet, m80 ;)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2016, 11:46:52 AM »

Yeah, I we keep it at all, it DEFINITELY needs some changes.

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2016, 12:01:59 PM »
or we just get rid of it and avoid all this crap because it adds nothing anyway
ReiAI pack for Ironforge