• Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: rep
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2016, 12:05:15 PM »
exactly
its pointless
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
  • Rep: 19
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2016, 12:11:17 PM »
Reputation is probably the most worthless thing on the site apart from gigafrost's fear/respect rating hogwash (that nobody's bothered updating for years btw).

If you look at the most recent upreps/downreps on the first 10 or so pages, half of them are just sh**posts, and the other half are MNB's (which are also sh**posts).

Some gems include:

plus if we get rid of it, it'll stop arbitrary "why did u guise downvote me!!!1" GF-esque situations.

and opening it to everyone would be pretty cool. I don't think a week trial of whatever system would hurt either

Fun fact: it was originally open to everybody to use, but people abused it and it was restricted to AUs/vets/mod/admin only.
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline yugitom

• Rep: 17
  • Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2016, 12:15:20 PM »
It does allow new users to quickly point out those they should probably be listening to over others. It's also a nice, little incentive to those that do good stuff. It doesn't mean much but when it accumulates, like in Craaig's case, he knows that what he does/did is/was appreciated. Also, because it's pointless, it's also harmless, so there's no point in getting rid of it, surely.

And, for what AS pointed out, I get that MNB has been going off on people's rep lately but that's why a very simple solution is to ban a few people from repping others. The entire, harmless system doesn't have to go just because a few people abuse it.

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2016, 12:30:00 PM »
It does allow new users to quickly point out those they should probably be listening to over others.
Also, because it's pointless, it's also harmless, so there's no point in getting rid of it, surely.

[...] but that's why a very simple solution is to ban a few people from repping others.
that's what the colored names are for tbh. what i'm saying is the system doesn't do its job because its so dang easy to exploit and doesn't really give an accurate image for the newbs- the only ones who would in theory benefit from the system.
thing is that its too easy to care about your rep. i know it means nothing but its still annoying to see permanent pointless insults on your userpage or "compliments" that mean squat. it's just dumb and i'm of the mindset that "if it's useless then get rid of it" as opposed to "if it's not harmful it's helpful"
besides like i said a few posts back you'll have to constantly be monitoring who gives rep "correctly" (and have to constantly be sifting through the rep logs :rage) and having to ban and unban people from giving rep and listen to people whining about being banned and yadda yadda and it'll get obnoxious really fast.
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge

Offline yugitom

• Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2016, 01:01:56 PM »
All you'd have to do for monitoring is to see someone's rep and think "ooh, that's not what it is usually, let's see what happened to it." It won't be a hassle to monitor and if someone is abusing the system, people will kick off, kind of like how this is cropping up due to MNB's antics. Also, you're saying that it doesn't give an accurate representation for the newbies, but, like I said, I can find a lot more instances in which rep is accurate and has not been exploited to the point of being inaccurate than not. All I can find is HA and Racecarlock. The only reason Racecarlock has a lot of rep is because you spearheaded a craze to get his rep up to 100. From what I have read from the op, I can only guess you did this to prove a point but for what cause? Before him, it was only HA and that's only because he and MNB have a gay relationship or something.

Offline Meganerdbomb

• Rep: 6
  • Are you not entertained?
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2016, 01:29:20 PM »
I've only been repping HA for like the past 3 weeks. Racecarlock came first actually. Also, besides Reir and HA my reps are mostly legit, even if the reason given isn't. Also Reier is now getting downrepped for caring about rep.
im just waiting for meganerdbomb to come along and kick things into gear.

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2016, 01:32:47 PM »
this is the kind of stuff i'm talking about. it's all pointless, so why have it?
ReiAI pack for Ironforge

Offline yugitom

• Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2016, 01:37:58 PM »
Because, it has a point! Even if it's minor, such as allowing noobs to determine who to turn to for help or justify a response to, it serves at least some purpose. It's a divide between those without coloured names because, otherwise, new members may not listen to those without coloured names because they don't know how to distinguish playzooki from Geice. It's also a nice and quick way to scold those in the community who are not following rules or just not being a nice guy in general.

When thinking about this, disregard what is currently happening and think of what purpose the system actually serves. After that, we can see if we can fix what is currently happening to the system.

Offline The Red Blur

• The real Jeff
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -10
  • Jesus, climbed up to -11 rep
    • not yet, m80 ;)
    • View Profile
    • completely uninteresting website.com
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2016, 01:57:07 PM »
I've only been repping HA for like the past 3 weeks. Racecarlock came first actually. Also, besides Reir and HA my reps are mostly legit, even if the reason given isn't. Also Reier is now getting downrepped for caring about rep.

Oh? So "enjoyed daddies cummies" and "gives better head than Reier " are legit reasons?

Offline Sage

• Rep: 11
  • RA2 Wizard & GTM's Favorite Stock Builder 2015
  • Awards Sage's Favorite BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2016, 01:59:03 PM »
it has no point, no matter what anyone says. Noobs don't look at rep.

it's like, kinda fun, but that's it. it would be (and was) way more fun if everyone could vote. either do that or get rid of it. the elitism of rep is the dumbest part of it
You got my vote for RA2 Wizard. Always and forever.

Offline The Red Blur

• The real Jeff
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -10
  • Jesus, climbed up to -11 rep
    • not yet, m80 ;)
    • View Profile
    • completely uninteresting website.com
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2016, 02:00:29 PM »

it's like, kinda fun, but that's it. it would be (and was) way more fun if everyone could vote. either do that or get rid of it. the elitism of rep is the dumbest part of it

Quoted for truth. Thus could not be any less accurate.

Offline Meganerdbomb

• Rep: 6
  • Are you not entertained?
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2016, 02:11:53 PM »

Oh? So "enjoyed daddies cummies" and "gives better head than Reier " are legit reasons?
Nope, you just didn't deserve to have -25 rep anymore.
im just waiting for meganerdbomb to come along and kick things into gear.

Offline yugitom

• Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2016, 02:13:02 PM »
Allowing everyone to affect rep wouldn't be a good idea. I wouldn't like to think that deciding whether or not someone is reputable is down to those who are not reputable themselves. Rep, to me, allows those who are reputable in the community to stand out, at least somewhat, without having to give everyone a yellow name. I think the principle of rep still stands and it allows others to see how reputable you actually are in the eyes of those that have been granted coloured names for being reputable and good members of the community themselves.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2016, 02:15:16 PM »

This, it's just a fun part of the forum. I was disappointed when it was made AU-only and I'd be disappointed if it was removed

Allowing everyone to affect rep wouldn't be a good idea. I wouldn't like to think that deciding whether or not someone is reputable is down to those who are not reputable themselves. Rep, to me, allows those who are reputable in the community to stand out, at least somewhat, without having to give everyone a yellow name. I think the principle of rep still stands and it allows others to see how reputable you actually are in the eyes of those that have been granted coloured names for being reputable and good members of the community themselves.
Make it so you can only -rep people with less rap than you. Noobs should be able to show appreciation for help given.
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline yugitom

• Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2016, 02:20:51 PM »
Make it so you can only -rep people with less rap than you. Noobs should be able to show appreciation for help given.
Well, that's also in the hands of AU's and up because, if they see that someone's been helping out the noobs lately, they can reward that person. It's not a bad idea, but I think it'd be much easier for Trov to implement if those without coloured names could simply not affect rep at all.

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2016, 02:42:44 PM »
what happened to roboteers being able to rep

seriously

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2016, 03:18:11 PM »
who cares

Offline Sircreepalot2

• Lightweight
  • Rep: 4
  • So how about that airline food?
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2016, 03:25:38 PM »
i used the rep and the names to see who is cool here on the forums when i made bots just starting out.
"You've heard the hymns, whispered throughout the lands. 
ooo macho madness oo o macho madness
OOO MACHO MADNESS OO O MACHO MADNESS"
                      -Macho Man Randy Savage

2nd place in Plan B- mcfreakinloseit

Offline Squirrel_Monkey

• Squirrel_Monkeyweight
  • Rep: 7
  • [Insert clever and witty comment here]
    • 0SquirrelMonkey0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2016, 03:31:26 PM »
I haven't been repped since last year. I don't think it tells you that much about a member tbh.
Better than GK since 2009.
I think SM is a pretty cool guy, eh builds unicycle-bots and doesn't afraid of anything