Author Topic: Please read: We're willing to talk  (Read 1113 times)

Offline kill343gs

Please read: We're willing to talk
« on: June 09, 2018, 07:16:36 PM »
I'm a bit late posting this, as life continues to get in the way at times, but I thought it important to share this in a place where everyone can see it.

Recently, a handful of comments made by some people lit a bit of a fire under me. Something along the lines of making empty demands with no real good intentions. And I'm not out of touch here, guys. I do actually listen to what you all have to say. I just want the things you say to actually mean something. Anyways, I'm rambling. To make a long story short, i ended up dropping the following statement in discord:

playground.png

And I do sort of stand by that statement, maybe with a bit less emotion. But that's not really what's important here. What followed matters more.

Rightfully so, Bajur was pretty fired up after being basically called out en mas in such a childish nature. Warning, long read follows:

I hope this gives you all a better idea of what it is we're doing here, and why we're doing it. And know that we, or I at the very least, am available if you have questions, concerns, opinions, etc about us.

For once the mods did something right
#MakeGTMGreatAgain

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Rep: 10
  • -rep TheRoboteer. "queermint"
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Hoppin#0013
Re: Please read: We're willing to talk
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 07:39:48 PM »
Naturally I agree on the overall message on this.

With this it becomes a topic of giving support and accessibility to new members of the forums and as is mentioned at the end, tutorials are a big part in that.

Did this a bit of time agao and put it on discord, but Ill also put it here for others to read. This is how I best feel we can restructure tutorials, into defined sections. Ive gather all tutorials on the board minus the sticky topic ones. Would appreciate the feedback before moving forward with this. Thanks.

Things I did & done

Offline freeziez

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
  • He's Mr. White Christmas, he's Mr. Snow...
    • youtube.com/freeziezGTM
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 08:10:22 PM »
I'll give my two cents real quick before I go back to work

in addition to the tutorials revamp, which is awesome and will help new members ease into the game a lot more, is there a chance we could incorporate some more advanced tutorials to help the amateur modding scene? i know we already have AI and component-creating tutorials, but what about more complicate things that would help people make the game their own. stuff like writing your own AI, making your own arena, etc. the latter has been especially frustrating for me even as a user with almost a decade of ra2 under his belt, because whenever I need help learning I kinda have to shout into the abyss and learn by trial and error. just a thought.

anyway, I think the direction this place is going in since I came back is great. sorry for causing any trouble when I returned.
obligatory battlebots 5 comment

GTM Awards 2011

Best Tournament: B4ttlebots (freeziez)
Best New Tournament Host: freeziez
Most Suprising Tournament: B4ttlebots (freeziez)

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Rep: 10
  • -rep TheRoboteer. "queermint"
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Hoppin#0013
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 05:20:36 PM »
I'll give my two cents real quick before I go back to work

in addition to the tutorials revamp, which is awesome and will help new members ease into the game a lot more, is there a chance we could incorporate some more advanced tutorials to help the amateur modding scene? i know we already have AI and component-creating tutorials, but what about more complicate things that would help people make the game their own. stuff like writing your own AI, making your own arena, etc. the latter has been especially frustrating for me even as a user with almost a decade of ra2 under his belt, because whenever I need help learning I kinda have to shout into the abyss and learn by trial and error. just a thought.

anyway, I think the direction this place is going in since I came back is great. sorry for causing any trouble when I returned.

Thanks for the feedback on the proposed idea on the tutorial section, the plan is to have it set up like that, containing all the tutorials on the site, then above this index have a section with the best tutorials for learning aspects of the game, mainly to be used by new players, but can offer help for older players. We'll definitely be looking for tutorials like the ones you've mentioned.

Hoped I could clear some of it up!
Things I did & done