Author Topic: Part 2: What GTM As a Community Plans to Do for You.  (Read 1264 times)

Offline kill343gs

Part 2: What GTM As a Community Plans to Do for You.
« on: April 25, 2018, 07:57:12 PM »
New thread so my reply doesn't get buried and people end up thinking I was (once again) one and done with actually making moves.

A lot of really good feedback. Some stuff I was thinking about, some totally new ideas. I appreciate all of it much more than you know.

My first priority, because everything else I want to accomplish relies on it, is revamping our staff format. I've had a lot of good ideas given to me both in my previous thread and behind closed doors. Look for a larger, more focused staff team with increased accountability. (And with that, we will be needing more staff. If anybody has nominations, I'm listening.)

I will be looking into ways to integrate discord into the forum and vice versa. Discord and forums both have unique things to offer, and I think achieving a balance between the two is our best bet going forward for finding and keeping new members, and maintaining all the good things GTM has had to offer since 2008.

The tournament board will be next on the agenda. This was never a question and will be getting addressed early on, along with challenges and BOTM.

Incentives are a topic we've been tossing around for quite a while now. I really dig the idea of turning BOTM into a celebration of showcased bots, paired with a page listing all tournament winners and hosts. We've also talked about an achievement/awards system behind the scenes. Some combination of these things will be happening.

I hadn't even thought about the tutorials section in quite a while, I'm glad that's been brought to our attention. We'll do what we can. (I know someone mentioned video tutorials, and that got me thinking about like, an official GTM youtube channel? There's a lot of possibilities there for a lot of different stuff. Stay tuned on that.)

The wiki.... is a thing. It's not something that effects our daily lives, so don't expect anything immediate there. I think we could definitely make better use of it, and if I can get some staff to work on it at some point, we'll see.

Regarding other communities, I have PERSONALLY reached out to every mentioned robot combat community AND MORE, but my voice alone is not enough. When you're hanging out in those communities, which I hope you do because they all have a lot of cool different stuff to offer, you can always mention what your GTM experience is/has been like. I'd love to work on stuff together with those communities as well, but they have to be willing to bridge that gap. Right now the bridge only has one lane, and that's coming from me.

I'd like to thank everyone who gave their two cents, and for their patience with me as an admin. I had a lot of big ideas of how I wanted things to work out coming into this position. While we've made a lot of small steps, we never really addressed the big picture. I mostly wish I had found myself here two years earlier, when life was a lot less hectic. But I promise you, I'm doing everything I can now to make this community last long into the future.

For once the mods did something right
#MakeGTMGreatAgain

Offline Mouldy

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 4
  • Still can't make robots after 20 years.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: Mr.Kinch
Re: Part 2: What GTM As a Community Plans to Do for You.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 09:37:17 PM »
Bit late to the party but I'd like to see a revamped website. The attachment system was a good start but it needs a bit more to get it out of the early 00s and into the late 10s.

Offline Philippa

• The Queen of GTM
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • ✊ Viva la Standard! ✊
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 10:06:10 PM »
Bit late to the party but I'd like to see a revamped website. The attachment system was a good start but it needs a bit more to get it out of the early 00s and into the late 10s.
Baby steps, dude, baby steps.

Offline 09090901

• competitive irl
  • Rep: 22
  • anti-boomer super soldier
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 10:56:14 PM »
Amy suggestions on how GTM can be improved are welcome. But yes, we're taking it one step at a time, and website changes probably are gonna be further down on the chopping block.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 10:42:42 PM by geese »
DSL-IRL is the libtard’s meta. Go drink more soylent, retard! #BLUELIVESMATTER

Offline Asbestosstar

• Most Bizzare of 2017. Also2nd Best new host of 2017
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: -4
    • Asbestosstar Gaming
    • View Profile
    • Asbestosstar.com
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 01:28:39 AM »
I honestly think k we need LESS staff

Offline Dark-Al

• That guy who makes long posts.
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
  • That's not how you build a Hydraulic crusher mate
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 02:50:42 AM »
I have to disagree with you on this one. I honestly feel that the staff numbers at the moment are just at a good balance, except that I feel that some less active staff members should be replaced with users who would be more active to deal with certain problems, just to prevent certain incidents from taking too long to solve, because one of the admins or moderators may not notice or they're not online at the time.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 06:27:19 AM by Dark-Al »

Offline kill343gs

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 05:07:09 PM »

Get your head out of your textbooks and into the real world. This isn't a failing government body begging for anarchy. This is a small community on the internet.

We tried the whole less staff thing by accident once. It was me. I was stuck alone as the only active staff member for the better part of a year and it was an absolute disaster.

For once the mods did something right
#MakeGTMGreatAgain