Poll

Which do you see as the main focus?

The Discord
1 (100%)
The Forum
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Voting closed: April 23, 2018, 07:31:54 PM

Author Topic: Do you see the Discord or the forum as "being GTM"?  (Read 1585 times)

Offline 09090901

• competitive irl
  • Rep: 22
  • anti-boomer super soldier
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Do you see the Discord or the forum as "being GTM"?
« on: April 16, 2018, 07:30:40 PM »
Simple question, which one do you think of as "being GTM"?

Just curious considering a lot of people feel that the forum offers very little feedback and conversation compared to something like discord.

Also wondering in regards to where you guys feel we should be focusing on in the future with upcoming changes. Dont worry, neither one will be neglected regardless of the results.
DSL-IRL is the libtard’s meta. Go drink more soylent, retard! #BLUELIVESMATTER

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Do you see the Discord or the forum as "being GTM"?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 08:38:06 PM »
I think it's important that we put more focus on the forums. While discord may be better for casual conversation and quick feedback, everything posted there is inaccessible to those not already in the community and it is not archived. This means that it hurts the forum in the long run, as people coming across the forum are not only missing out on activity (some of which would normally be posted on the forums), but they're more likely to see the forum as 'dead'. Basically what I'm saying is that the moving of activity to the discord makes GTM a more insular community, which is pretty bad when we're already pretty small.

As for what 'is' GTM, in my eyes at least it's the most active longer term members, most of which are more active on the discord. i also view it as the tournaments which are mainly forum based but also have a lot of discord activity, especially for robogames.
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline The Answer

• Antweight
  • Rep: 4
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 08:43:46 PM »
First thing out of the way is I don't even know a discord existed; I double checked all sticky threads in places I would assume a link to such would be in to not find it. (It's in this very subsection I am dumb.)

Secondly I feel the forum offers enough feedback for users who post even semi-frequently. What people are probably actually trying to say is they do not get immediate feedback. Forums also lend themselves better to proper thought out responses, not saying Discord does not but it's more active nature means those responses may take too long to type out and the conversation could have changed during that time typing. Just me personally, but in my experience with Discord many users do not follow proper etiquette, or even attempt proper grammar.

Lastly while I do like Discord most of the time I think Discords focused on singular games/anime/things do not do very well because people who grow tired of those things do everything but actually discuss the thing in question. I know this can happen in forums also but since Discord is a chatroom type deal it's easier to notice and harder to ignore. I almost forgot how it's easier for "Undesirables" to join and make friends with Admins/Mods and tl;dr ruin everything lol. That sounds fringe I know, but I have seen that happen to communities I used to be apart of and it's really stupid and frustrating.

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
  • Rep: 19
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 09:15:19 PM »
I almost forgot how it's easier for "Undesirables" to join and make friends with Admins/Mods and tl;dr ruin everything lol.
a few years late on that one fam
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline Scrap Daddy

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 09:48:13 PM »
Badger nailed it on the head for me. Bad in the long-term for the forum with the lack of archives and exclusivity, but there is value to the instant feedback and back and fourth tournament discussion.

Offline ty4er

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 10:17:33 PM »
there's next to no reason for any active members to use the forum over the discord now aside from tournaments, though even this is slowly moving over. the forum now just seems like a 'safe space' for those too weak not fond of the topics that are sometimes brought up as casual chat
DSL Showcase
is this bot don't lost all razors in a fight before do a damage thought

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 12:22:48 AM »
instant feedback is no real replacement for being able to keep posts around forever tbh

forum > dis
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline Asbestosstar

• Most Bizzare of 2017. Also2nd Best new host of 2017
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: -4
    • Asbestosstar Gaming
    • View Profile
    • Asbestosstar.com
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 12:36:56 AM »
Generally the forum, but i generally consider the people in GTM

Offline RpJk

• ♫Time has come to listen to the crying of their puppet souls♫
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -1
  • Done and done.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 03:57:42 PM »
I see GTM as GTM. While it's not as busy as it used to be, it's still one of the most comfortable places to be on the internet these days. Visiting here is like visiting an old eatery, you see it slowly change over the years with people coming and going but the heartbeat will always be the same.

I haven't had a look at Discord but I prefer here. It's easier and more easily accessible.
Old Stock Showcase: https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=6590.0

I've moved to other forums. Under a different name. This is where it all began.

Offline Meganerdbomb

• Rep: 6
  • Are you not entertained?
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 06:36:25 PM »
GTM doesnt even have a real discord anymore.
im just waiting for meganerdbomb to come along and kick things into gear.

Offline Dreamcast

• Rep: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2018, 02:59:54 AM »
GTM doesnt even have a real discord anymore.

Yea, it's now all about cooking

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 04:51:06 AM »
Discord has better feedback imo