Poll

Unban Avalanche from the forums?

Yes
11 (40.7%)
No
16 (59.3%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Voting closed: June 23, 2018, 06:20:40 PM

Author Topic: Avalanche may return (lol no)  (Read 7699 times)

Offline Merrick

• Rep: 3
  • Half-decent IRL designs and terrible antweights.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Avalanche may return
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2018, 01:28:05 AM »
Lesson learned, guys.

Be as much as of an obnoxious, confrontational asshole as you want. They’ll literally just forget about it and let you back in a few months after kicking you out for good.

It’s a great system.

Offline TheOrcCorp

• I push buttons and hope GTM doesn't explode.
  • Rep: 20
  • A mean, green, small brained machine!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2018, 04:12:06 AM »
Lesson learned, guys.

Be as much as of an obnoxious, confrontational asshole as you want. They’ll literally just forget about it and let you back in a few months after kicking you out for good.

It’s a great system.

I mean, I can understand this viewpoint completely...it does seem counter-intuitive but I guess I'm just being optimistic about the situation. Thinking about it more, I feel that while he could come back, we should keep on Discord for the time being just to see how it goes. If he carries on the way he is then I'd have no objection to him coming back. I'd just be worried about the after-effects.
GTM 2017 Awards - Most Unique Bots (shared with DSC) and Most Enthusiastic Member!
GTM 2018 Awards - Friendliest and Kindest/Most Unique Bots/Best Tournament 2018/Best Tournament by Editing/Best Tournament by Matches!
GTM 2019 Awards - Friendliest and Kindest(how)/Favourite Staff Member/Hall of Fame Inductee

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2018, 06:03:09 AM »
Lesson learned, guys.

It’s a great system.

youre totally right considering it has already happened several years ago already. avalanche was already a multiaccount from lra2 after he got banned

see also: hurricaneandrew
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline doot

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2018, 06:22:16 AM »
Lesson learned, guys.

It’s a great system.

This. I mean, why even have permabans if you're gonna allow a user back in after 6 months to a year? Besides, Avalanche is through. The fact he had another chance after LRA2 and STILL blew it is what leads me to say that he should not come back. Full stop.

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Rep: 10
  • -rep TheRoboteer. "queermint"
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Hoppin#0013
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2018, 06:45:37 AM »
Each side has valid points to support their reasoning, in allowing Avalanche to return we face the action of undermining a permanent ban, this looks pretty bad on the forums half, not only this but could potentially reduce the chance of newer members joining GTM, knowing Avalanche is on the forum, given his previous actions taken within the other Robotic Combat communities.

But, given his recent change, I best believe that he's willing to, and has, shown a positive change in attitude despite having some users poke at him on our discord. Because of this, he is currently part of the discord, as a trial run to best put it. I'm looking to see long term, give 3/4 months or something around that, positive actions and contributions to the community before possible allowing in the slightest for him to get back onto the discord. Another point is that from what I remember with a discussion with Geese is that the system was always meant to have some sort of appeal process, but I could be wrong.

I'm open to him returning but, like Badger said, if it does come to a point of him returning to the forums, we'll be keeping heavy tabs over him.

(This is pretty much an expanded version of TheOrcCorp's comment).
Things I did & done

Offline Meganerdbomb

• Rep: 6
  • Are you not entertained?
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2018, 06:57:28 AM »
#freeAvalanche
im just waiting for meganerdbomb to come along and kick things into gear.

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2018, 11:46:07 AM »
The permaban was, quite frankly, undermined by people allowing him into tournaments.

(Not an attack on you btw Ava)
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline Asbestosstar

• Most Bizzare of 2017. Also2nd Best new host of 2017
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: -4
    • Asbestosstar Gaming
    • View Profile
    • Asbestosstar.com
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2018, 04:16:24 PM »
The permaban was, quite frankly, undermined by people allowing him into tournaments.

(Not an attack on you btw Ava)

What do you mean by this? Anyone should be allowed to enter a tournament.

I honestly liked ava's flaming. But even if you dont he still seems very good at the game.
#freeavalance

I believe he has been banned for too long.
He should of been unbanned 2 months ago, but y'all decided yall was gonna give him a perma ban.

Offline Philippa

• The Queen of GTM
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • ✊ Viva la Standard! ✊
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2018, 04:17:11 PM »
 :really_makes_you_think:

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Rep: 10
  • -rep TheRoboteer. "queermint"
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Hoppin#0013
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2018, 04:23:54 PM »
#freeavalance

I too would like to free avalance
Things I did & done

Offline Squirrel_Monkey

• Squirrel_Monkeyweight
  • Rep: 7
  • [Insert clever and witty comment here]
    • 0SquirrelMonkey0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2018, 04:35:59 PM »
I'm putting myself in the no camp here. No point in having permanent bans if we don't enforce them.
Better than GK since 2009.
I think SM is a pretty cool guy, eh builds unicycle-bots and doesn't afraid of anything

Offline yugitom

• Rep: 17
  • Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2018, 09:13:10 PM »
I say let's give him one last shot!
I wonder how many last chances he's been given. The phrase probably means nothing to him anymore.

I mean like a week ago he was picking fights on facebook with people the same way he always has. He is who he is. If ya want him around, your choice, but I don't think you gain much.
This is the perfect argument as to why he shouldn't come back, I couldn't agree with it more. He's not gonna change, he is who he is. Everyone that thinks he's improved clearly can't see someone faking their attitude/behaviour. What he says feels so unnatural. For example (from the ARC Dicksword):

Avalanche's aggressive white knight response is not something a normal person would say, nor is it something Avalanche would typically say. He's just trying too hard to look like he's changed and I'm surprised he hasn't annoyed more people with this forced behaviour. Inb4 that was 4 months ago, 'cos that's a great argument.

Not to mention the 'perma' bit of his ban(s). Permas should just be called indefibans.

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2018, 09:50:11 PM »
why are we debating this exactly? he got permabanned. he is banned permanently. shouldn't have banned him permanently in the first place if it's not permanent.
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline Philippa

• The Queen of GTM
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • ✊ Viva la Standard! ✊
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2018, 11:00:57 PM »
why are we debating this exactly? he got permabanned. he is banned permanently. shouldn't have banned him permanently in the first place if it's not permanent.
because le funni meme user xd

Offline Somebody

• Rep: 13
  • CP: +2
    • SomebodyofGTM
    • View Profile
    • My site
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2018, 11:48:45 PM »
I say let's give him one last shot!
I wonder how many last chances he's been given. The phrase probably means nothing to him anymore.

I mean like a week ago he was picking fights on facebook with people the same way he always has. He is who he is. If ya want him around, your choice, but I don't think you gain much.
This is the perfect argument as to why he shouldn't come back, I couldn't agree with it more. He's not gonna change, he is who he is. Everyone that thinks he's improved clearly can't see someone faking their attitude/behaviour. What he says feels so unnatural. For example (from the ARC Dicksword):
(Image removed from quote.)

Avalanche's aggressive white knight response is not something a normal person would say, nor is it something Avalanche would typically say. He's just trying too hard to look like he's changed and I'm surprised he hasn't annoyed more people with this forced behaviour. Inb4 that was 4 months ago, 'cos that's a great argument.

Not to mention the 'perma' bit of his ban(s). Permas should just be called indefibans.

Thanks for some backup.

New guys: give him a chance!

Old guys: he's had 10 years of chances!

And I don't even come here ever besides to talk about battlebots but like still. Thanks but no thanks. The rest of us are excellent at not getting permabanned in the first place. It's like getting back with your ex for a third time because it'll be somehow different this time.
I built that big robot on that TV show that time

Offline moziet

• rat
  • Antweight
  • why does code get a pink name and not me :o(
    • https://www.youtube.com/u
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: moziet#6338
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2018, 03:08:29 AM »
I was not there when LRA2 was slapped with the banhand, but from what I've seen, he's a p. cool guy. I vote yes, but an eye on him.
jump jump jump jump

Showcase: https://gametechmods.com/forums/dsl-tc-showcases/moz-fails-at-dsl/
Tournaments:

Offline Merrick

• Rep: 3
  • Half-decent IRL designs and terrible antweights.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2018, 03:44:00 AM »
I was not there when LRA2 was slapped with the banhand

Behold the problem with this thread.

Offline Dark-Al

• That guy who makes long posts.
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
  • That's not how you build a Hydraulic crusher mate
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2018, 03:52:44 AM »

Aggressive White Knight would be a little to much. Rather I would say he's more of a behaviour enforcer taking the job too seriously. When some user who has no online social skills to interact with the website and acts in a way that's unacceptable, instead of him trying to calmly explain about what the user is doing wrong, he instead starts an unnecessary flame war over the smallest of all problems like a person not even getting a joke or users telling someone to correct their username. As under his current user name, he had all this time to improve this aggressive behaviour in having respect of minor faults in user's online behaviour patterns and keeping most complaints to himself unless necessary, but instead he kept on going and got himself muted and temporary banned throughout his time, making me believe that he was unbanned, that this old behaviour might be picked up again once he gets back on the forum, despite saying that he has turned over a new leaf. So my vote still stands on no.

Forgot to add. Sure, on some occasions that despite being a massive jerkass of a person who points out the minor of all problems of a user within a flamewar, he does have a point. But as I did say, he should of try and hold his aggressive personality behind his ego and instead try to explain the problem in an non-aggressive manner, so the problem could of solved without having to start a flame war in the first place.

Offline TheOrcCorp

• I push buttons and hope GTM doesn't explode.
  • Rep: 20
  • A mean, green, small brained machine!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2018, 05:50:19 AM »
Yes I'm still relatively new to GTM compared to a lot of you but I have been here for about a year and a half now (I think anyway, maybe less) and I have seen firsthand what Avalanche is capable of as I've been the target of him a few times myself. He does seem different and yes, it could very possibly be all an act. Thing is, it wasn't said at first when this return was happening...which Hoppin cleared up in his comment. This return isn't happening yet, they're going to give him a few months on Discord to see how he acts. If this is all an act like some of you believe, then he won't be able to keep it up forever: he's proven that before. If he stays good, he might end up here....THEN if he acts up, he's gone again. I've given my points for both sides of the argument (not just a simple hur durr, let's give him another chance guys!) and while I believe he could/should have a final chance, I am concerned regarding how he acts upon a possible return and considering how divided people are over this: I'd be worried about the consequences for us as a community if he did return as I get the feeling some members would just leave and I don't want that.

Maybe he shouldn't come back? I don't know anymore.
GTM 2017 Awards - Most Unique Bots (shared with DSC) and Most Enthusiastic Member!
GTM 2018 Awards - Friendliest and Kindest/Most Unique Bots/Best Tournament 2018/Best Tournament by Editing/Best Tournament by Matches!
GTM 2019 Awards - Friendliest and Kindest(how)/Favourite Staff Member/Hall of Fame Inductee

Offline Mouldy

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 4
  • Still can't make robots after 20 years.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Mr.Kinch
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2018, 07:09:06 AM »
Me and Avalance started on GTM around the same time. He was Oct 2009 and I was Dec 2009. As far as I can remember, we were both pretty tragic. Both of us were about 9 years old at the time so you can imagine why. 8-9 years later, we're both 17.

People can change and I think Avalanche will. I'd give it a while longer, though.