Author Topic: A few suggestions for making GTM more Robotics oriented  (Read 7757 times)

Offline Noodle

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
  • faggot
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes

Offline Jonzu95

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: -27
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: A few suggestions for making GTM more Robotics oriented
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2012, 06:10:44 AM »
Interesting... I hid Politics & Playground, and I can't post to Chatterbox.

Offline Classicus

• Middleweight
  • Rep: 5
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2012, 10:21:33 AM »
I don't see how this has made the forum better. Putting the Junkyard out in the open just clutters it up if you're just interested in the robot side of things. It's going to be annoying filtering the irrelevant stuff in the unread posts. Seems like its just moving things from one place to another, not really changing much. This forum needs to be robot oriented and have all the other stuff in groups like before. People find this place when they get into Robot Arena and are interested in robots. Could put people off if they see a load of irrelevant sub-forums and childish posts like this crap. I can't be bothered with that stuff and I bet a few others might be feeling the same way.

Offline Noodle

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • faggot
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2012, 10:33:40 AM »
I don't see how this has made the forum better. Putting the Junkyard out in the open just clutters it up if you're just interested in the robot side of things. It's going to be annoying filtering the irrelevant stuff in the unread posts. Seems like its just moving things from one place to another, not really changing much. This forum needs to be robot oriented and have all the other stuff in groups like before. People find this place when they get into Robot Arena and are interested in robots. Could put people off if they see a load of irrelevant sub-forums and childish posts like this crap. I can't be bothered with that stuff and I bet a few others might be feeling the same way.

Posts like that shouldn't be in the chatterbox, and if ACAMS followed all my suggestions the playground should be hide-able.

Offline Resetti's Replicas

• Rep: 18
  • Replica King
    • ResettisReplicas
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2012, 10:35:39 AM »
Perhaps give it an even harsher name than "junkyard?" the point of calling it the "junkyard" is for people to expect posts like that.
And I still maintain my suggestion to have a seperate "just for fun/beginners'" board.  Whenever someone starts a showcase, it seems like it's standard protocol to hold them to Inf/Psyc's level of standards, and push them into building overweaponed behemoths & abandoning all conventions of real life robot building.  I'd wager that a very small percentage of new members have both the skill level and interest to get there.

Offline Classicus

• Middleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2012, 10:42:22 AM »
I wish I had discovered robot arena back in the 2000's when this place was buzzing with creativity and expertise. I would have been the right age as well to really get into everything and get properly good. I think I am too old for this forum now so my point of view and what I come here for is different to most. I still think if you want this place to grow again it needs to be 100% robot arena focused on the face, for people who are seriously into the game and build regularly. All the other stuff should be out of sight in 'special interest groups'. I'd go further and say there are 3 types of people here: 1.serious builders who are just interested in robot combat as a sport and the ra2 game. 2. People from point 1 who have done it all and mostly lost interest in robot building but still come here for whatever reason and mostly lost the passion. 3. People who want to mess about or don't have a clue. I'd say this place is mostly frequented by 2. Not their fault, but I don't see many people of category 1 here very often. In short I think the buzz went a few years ago (say 08-09) and we don't seem to be getting it back. Seeing how this is the last RA2 forum out there: It's fight or die time. Action is required!

Offline Noodle

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • faggot
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2012, 11:09:24 AM »
Action is required!

That action was supposed to be DSL 3.  That got real far, eh?
What we really need is a new mod - a proper mod not an AI pack.  The biggest problem with making a proper mod is dealing with the finnicky GMF format.  You have to find a version of 3ds max that nobody cares about, run it on a version of XP that nobody cares about, and even then it doesn't work properly half of the time.  I tried it once and never did again - its a royal pain.

In regards to interest, I personally am only interested in tournaments at this point.  Showcases are really only for posting concepts, but nobody seems to get that.  If you post anything that isn't an autistic mess of razors and other crap, your robot gets shot down.
Come to think of it, even tournament building has stagnated.  Stock is dominated by the same cookie-cutter popups and HSs, and DSL is dominated by cookie-cutter flail applications.  Everyone has gotten too well adapted to the game...
...which brings me back to my first point: we need a new mod.

Offline Jamin

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2012, 01:10:26 PM »
A mod dedicated entirely to IRL style building would be nice.....wait isn't that what DSL2 was supposed to be?

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2012, 01:19:29 PM »
A mod dedicated entirely to IRL style building would be nice.....wait isn't that what DSL2 was supposed to be?

DSL3 will be this

Offline Noodle

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • faggot
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2012, 01:37:30 PM »

DSL3 will be this

Assuming it ever gets completed.

Offline Classicus

• Middleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2012, 03:28:46 PM »

I will say my final piece on this issue and leave this discussion for others (I've not been a member long enough to have the right to say any of this but what the heck):

My Suggestions (suggestions not demands):

1. Forum structure:

Forum Information: Same

Robot Arena 2:
General Discussion: Modifications, Modification Ideas, Challenge Board, BOTM
New Member Area (GTM Academy) Tutorials - all versions/mods, links to tools and utilities - new user friendly/orientated. Organised for skill progression.
Stock Sub-forum:
Showcases - for stock, starcore, custom etc.
Tournaments:
General Discussion, rules etc.
Tournament threads - Display tournaments etc.

DSL Sub-Forum:
Showcases:

General Discussion - rules etc.
Tournament threads - Display tournaments,  etc.

Real Robotics - same

Software and Computers:
Game Development
Other Games

Hidden/Group membership: 'Junkyard'

2. BOTM completely open, no limits - submit what you like. Get everybody interested and building something at least once a month.
3. Rule that showcases should be designated/tagged in title by their owner: Art, Efficiency, IRL, Fun/crazy, Beginner etc. one of or multiple of? Everyone knows where everybody stands.
4. All new members get a showcase set up for them, with a link to tutorials section and beetlebros - no pressure, its just there if they want to look at them.
'Beginner' until a set number of posts or judgement by Nar or Acams or someone that they display advanced ability. Beginners get constructive advice only, not with attitude or ego boosting.
5. A 'continuing committee' of the most advanced/senior/long-time members: Acams, Naryar, Click etc. to keep everything running in the same direction and to keep the knowledge/spirit of GTM going.

Overall just a tighter organisation, more new user oriented/friendly, refocus on robot combat as a game and a sport that we are all crazy about.

(Congratulations to anyone who read this rant all the way through).

Offline Jonzu95

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: -27
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2012, 04:27:24 PM »
I still can't post to Chatterbox.

Offline kill343gs

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2012, 04:57:36 PM »

Everything is going much better than I expected.

For once the mods did something right
#MakeGTMGreatAgain

Offline Enigm@

• convicted sex offender
  • :really_makes_you_think:
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2012, 05:01:28 PM »
Action is required!

That action was supposed to be DSL 3.  That got real far, eh?
What we really need is a new mod - a proper mod not an AI pack.  The biggest problem with making a proper mod is dealing with the finnicky GMF format.  You have to find a version of 3ds max that nobody cares about, run it on a version of XP that nobody cares about, and even then it doesn't work properly half of the time.  I tried it once and never did again - its a royal pain.

In regards to interest, I personally am only interested in tournaments at this point.  Showcases are really only for posting concepts, but nobody seems to get that.  If you post anything that isn't an autistic mess of razors and other crap, your robot gets shot down.
Come to think of it, even tournament building has stagnated.  Stock is dominated by the same cookie-cutter popups and HSs, and DSL is dominated by cookie-cutter flail applications.  Everyone has gotten too well adapted to the game...
...which brings me back to my first point: we need a new mod.
this is why in dsl i just around and build giant ass ghw's
(◕‿◕✿) discord: uncle_slamm steam: bigmommaprodz #unbanlra2

Offline ianh05

• Rep: 4
  • Stock AW Builder and Tourney Host!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2012, 05:51:50 PM »
I believe what is lacking is variety.

*Less mods - We don't have many modders left here and they are all pretty busy.
*Hardly any major AI packs, none at all in stock - Inf AI, Pys AI and Starcore all seem done and dusted and Nar AI seems to be the only recent AI pack of note.
*Tournaments can have more variety - Instead of just giving people 1 on 1 deathmatch tournaments people need to try out different things and be more creative.

Other things to note:

*We are missing BBEANS (I would love to see an AW or BW stock BBEANS next).
*People spend a lot more time in off-topic. People like myself don't get many comments when posting bots, AI packs or new tournament videos, this makes us feel unappreciated.
*We have lost lots of great builders who may never return. It hurts to see people like Inf, Pys, Barbie etc. leave, their designs often inspired people to build and without them the community takes a hit.

Things we can do:

*Comment more - People like it when they get comments, it makes them feel like they are getting noticed and people actually care about their work.
*Be different when building - Inf, Pys, Barbie etc. inspired us with their designs because they were different, I don't think many people are trying to be different and they just try and clone designs.
*Post more stuff! - Instead of just chatting and spending time in off-topic try and post something! why not try and build a new stock AI pack, post your new bots or host a new kind of tournament?

We can't replace anyone who leaves the community but we can try and make our own legacy here.
Check out my UI Improvements topic for stuff like longer team/bot import lists:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=13324.0
How to make awesome splashes with paint:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=13310.0
My showcase filled with antweights:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=1595.0
How to AI: For newbies (with pics!):
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=13814.0
Best tournament results:
Tag Team Challenge and CombatAnts 3: runner-up
Around the World: 3rd place.

Offline Kossokei

• Mr. Kurtsokei
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • You better believe it.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: ...is more dangerous...
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2012, 08:20:39 PM »

DSL3 will be this

Assuming it ever gets completed.
DSL2: EP3

Seriously though, there's usually always a way to help with something, and DSL3 isn't much of an exception.

The only problem is that there's a special sort of experience needed to help, but that's really all that's stopping anyone. Once that gate is bypassed with as much perfection as possible, that's all. Anyway, I'm running off topic.

I agree with Sonny's "Make an IRL/Replica/whatever showcase area, for the people who don't really want to pull a MOAR RAZORS and make extremely bland but overkill effective bots." idea, or something like that. The average newbie might wade through pages and pages of (DSL and Stock alike) efficiency-incarnate bots before getting some inspiration for something Aesthetic/Artbot/Replica/whatever. Although, that last bit is more DSL than anything.

Just putting my 2% of a dollar in here.

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
  • Rep: 19
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2012, 08:56:06 PM »
DAMN....... acams must have hit the wrong button when blocking you from playground

*Hardly any major AI packs, none at all in stock - Inf AI, Pys AI and Starcore all seem done and dusted and Nar AI seems to be the only recent AI pack of note.
i am currently making a stock ai pack, but i cant really call it "major" yet as its only in its beginning stages

basically the only big ai pack in stock atm is restocked almost being finished with the occasional SC4 bot from virus bomb or whoever decides to rebuild something
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2012, 09:09:07 AM »
I have just noticed, in group membership, there is a Playground 'group', so you can leave Playground if you do not enjoy/want to put up with the drama and whatnot in there. Didn't know this, and not sure if anyone else has picked up on it - Thank you, ACAMS.
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline ACAMS

« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2012, 09:20:50 AM »
Yes, I suggest everyone who is not an idiot leave Playground Immediately ....... ON SECOND THOUGHT ...... most of you need to just stay there!!!!!!!!!

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2012, 09:23:48 AM »
Is it set to hidden as a default? That may be slightly useful, rather than corrupting new members the moment they walk through the door :P
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15