Author Topic: Team FarSide  (Read 33610 times)

Offline R1885

• Rep: 3
  • Forum shopping list generator.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Team FarSide
« Reply #100 on: May 01, 2014, 08:19:17 PM »
Progress!

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #101 on: May 01, 2014, 08:21:28 PM »
I'm curious as to exactly what that is, surely that isn't a new cardboard mockup for your ant?

Offline R1885

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #102 on: May 01, 2014, 08:46:01 PM »
I'm curious as to exactly what that is, surely that isn't a new cardboard mockup for your ant?
Its a card board mockup, but not for an ant...

Offline Natef

• Rep: 6
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
    • View Profile
    • Nate Reviews Home
    • Awards
« Reply #103 on: May 01, 2014, 08:58:14 PM »
fairy, i assume?

Offline R1885

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: May 01, 2014, 09:32:14 PM »
fairy, i assume?
Yup. Not made to be competitive and made from mostly hand-me downs and cheap parts. This thing wont even run lipoly.

Offline R1885

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #105 on: May 25, 2014, 11:08:38 PM »
Update time:
I'm clear for Clash of the bots in July, I'll be packing two(maybe three) bots. Bots I'll bring are:

Short Stop: Work has halted, hopefully will order battery charger this week, final preparations for armor construction will be complete sometime this week, hopefully will get electrical system finished.

Gate Stop(Formally Cavity): All necessary parts have been acquired, final chassis mock-up has been created, construction will begin this week and will hopefully be finished sometime this week as well. Current mock-up in this

NEW BOT, Guest Stop: Picked up some clearance servos from Radio shack(for free none the less), Guest Stop is intended for filler, family members to drive around, or if Shorty goes out of commission either now or in the future. It will be super simple to control and easy to maintain. Essentially a chunk of steel driven around with speed hacked servos.

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
« Reply #106 on: May 26, 2014, 09:49:59 AM »
Why Clash of the Bots and not Bot Blast? :P

But anyway Gate Stop is looking good. Good luck dude.

Offline MikeNCR

• Rep: 11
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #107 on: June 02, 2014, 11:08:12 PM »
If you're planning to go the Clash of the Bots you should register asap.

Offline R1885

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #108 on: July 10, 2014, 12:49:42 AM »

The fleet prepares for shipment....
Left is Short Stop, right is Guest Stop, middle is a mess(A.K.A. Gate Stop, top of the list for a total overhaul)

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
« Reply #109 on: July 10, 2014, 01:03:35 AM »
Lookin good dude. Good luck out in NC.

Offline R1885

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #110 on: July 19, 2014, 07:48:36 PM »
Lesons learned:
You can get unlucky and get get the same bot and team twice
Duct Tape is terrible
Zip-ties are worse
Building your bot from them is dumb
Make sure you have a working pair of servos
Flailing fail bots are funny
Remember that 0-6 is not the end of the world

Offline Philippa

• The Queen of GTM
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • ✊ Viva la Standard! ✊
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #111 on: July 19, 2014, 07:56:11 PM »
Remember that 0-6 is not the end of the world
Ouch bro.

Offline R1885

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #112 on: July 20, 2014, 07:57:31 AM »
OK, now that I have a proper nights rest, I can go over a recap:
Gate Stop became this strange flailing stick on wheels, and never could go anywhere. In an odd twist, it was also the only bot I had to never sustain any damage all day. Drew against Mustachio and Billy Dan

Short Stop became a inside out kit, held together entirely by zip ties and duct tape. It drew Klazo and Ting Tang, the former of the which caused Shorty to kinda spew parts and massively dent the front wedge, yet despite all of that, including the rumble, the only major damage were a few broken solder joints.

Guest Stop thankfully entered just I came, just with a smaller battery pack. It drew Ting Tang and Algos, but the most damage either of them did was break a wheel and bend the steel a little bit. Only casualty of the team, one of the servos is stuck spinning endlessly, but I'm going to dump them any way.

You will notice that I drew both of Mikes bots AND got Ting Tang twice, but the spinners there hit really hard anyway, the only other ant weight that had an inactive weapon was Swiss Wedge of Doom. At the least I didn't fight Poco Tambor, had that happened and some really hardcore parts spray would have happened. Pretty much the only regret is not making the bots out of sterner stuff, but everything else worked well considering how much things came a part, nothing really harmed them too much and all with some TLC can go back and drive around again.
Plans for upgrades:
Gate: Total rebuild from the ground up, with proper gear motors. The concept that I came with Gate Stop might get reused for something else in the future.
Short: Change the gear motors to Sliver Sparks, total rebuild of the frame and chassis.
Guest: Up the speed, keep the Steel on Wheels concept with chunky lite flites and Kitbot motors. Might become a beetle weight, not really sure, but the steel seemed tough enough to take on two spinners without much damage, so we'll see.

Offline Natef

• View Profile
    • Nate Reviews Home
    • Awards
« Reply #113 on: July 20, 2014, 10:41:20 PM »
well, im glad you've finally joined the horde of real life bot builders!

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
« Reply #114 on: July 21, 2014, 10:47:00 AM »
Go claim your brown name dude! :P

Also WTF happened to Gate Stop? It looked good, how did it go from that to a stick? Weight issues?

One more thing, looks like a major point of weakness was your motor mounts. If you have weight, I'd get some UHMW for your side walls, like Nate has with Slim Pickens, and put the Spark mounting plates on that.

Offline R1885

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #115 on: July 21, 2014, 11:17:34 AM »
Go claim your brown name dude! :P

Also WTF happened to Gate Stop? It looked good, how did it go from that to a stick? Weight issues?

One more thing, looks like a major point of weakness was your motor mounts. If you have weight, I'd get some UHMW for your side walls, like Nate has with Slim Pickens, and put the Spark mounting plates on that.
The reason Gate ended up like that was because one of the servos stopped working, either from shipping or from an inexperienced builder. I got a pair of Futaba servos to fix it, but due to the way they were designed they were impossible to hack for 360 rotation.

Sturdier motor mounts are currently on the priority list, though I'm comparing costs to see whats the best next step.

Offline R1885

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #116 on: July 21, 2014, 10:38:13 PM »
For easy viewing:
My biggest surprise in all of this is how surprisingly little damage actually happened, Gate Stop came out unscathed and both Shorty and Guest can be easily be rebuilt, most notably is that despite how often Shorty's motors fell out and Guest's wheel came off, both came out almost completely undamaged. Guest's wheel is notable in that is was held on by literally one screw and not once did it break, while I had terrible luck in match ups I had incredible luck in them(You'll notice that Ting Tang hit the corner of Guest Stop, had it gone half an inch to the right it would have destroyed the servo. Had the wheels been more securely mounted, Guest Stop might have gone the whole match)

Even though I went 0-6 in COB, it was still quite awesome to just be there and compete, and gave me an appreciation of just what these builders do. My only regret is that Gate Stop never saw a match up with one of the fairy spinners(Invertigo and Unicorn), would have capped off the whole day seeing it explode.

Offline SKBT

« Reply #117 on: July 21, 2014, 10:47:19 PM »
loctite is a thing. use it

Offline Natef

• View Profile
    • Nate Reviews Home
    • Awards
« Reply #118 on: July 22, 2014, 06:27:18 AM »
you should ditch the servo drive. they're obsolete and can't really compete with the other bots' drive motors

Offline R1885

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #119 on: July 22, 2014, 09:56:13 AM »
loctite is a thing. use it
Nothing was screwed in so it wouldn't have helped.
you should ditch the servo drive. they're obsolete and can't really compete with the other bots' drive motors
Exactly what I'm going to do next.