Author Topic: TDS  (Read 22322 times)

Offline TDS

• Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
TDS
« on: August 12, 2015, 03:53:51 PM »
So, i've been designing and building my first bot in quite a while, it will be a 30lb sportsman

via a challenge issued at botblast, it will be a pneumatic hammerbot.

Since I dont have time to fabricate my own cylinder, I'm using a bimba 4" stroke cylinder I found on ebay

its rather big

okay its really big

This will be run on HPA to a chain driven cam based rack and pinion mounting a ~18 inch arm
Pseudo math that I may have done wrong because piston speed calculation is dicey has the hammer clocked in at 317mph at impact @200psi (everything is rated for 300psi)

2x banebots 16:1 's to 3" wheels 4wd (because 2wd is stupid)

Much of the cad is unfinished so nothing fancy yet, a majority of the parts should be arriving by friday this week and the weird shaped stuff like the HPA tank can be measured properly at that time.
I am currently super concerned that I am overweight, with a vast majority of the internals, and rounding up every part I am at 15.5lbs without a frame, hammer arm, screws, wires, ect.  The problem is trying to house the gas tank and cylinder makes the frame gigantic (I was showing ~4lbs per frame member and i need 4) which has me gravitating towards blue saw waterjet 3/8" 6061AL or 1/2" or so UHMW instead of aluminium because weight.

Another idea is to make a judge-style frame that is basically a big strong baseplate and a titanium shell, since I can't weld titanium it would be achieved with a bunch of aluminium bearing blocks.

We'll see how the layout goes once everything comes in.

The funny part is I know exactly how to get ruin V2 to work and be much lower profile (and have a proper 180+ degree hammer swing) but i'd never get it done in time for nerc franklin, so this is sort of a stopgap bot to find any problems that may arise running a hammer with 1700lbs of thrust

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: TDS
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 08:58:06 AM »
Minor update, finally got most of the oddly shaped parts in and things are starting to come together CAD wise

Basic frame/body shape posted below, weight is going to be tight, everything not bearing stress from the hammer besides the front prow will be UHMW as weight is going to be very tight for V1

2druin.png

Offline Sage

• Rep: 11
  • RA2 Wizard & GTM's Favorite Stock Builder 2015
  • Awards Sage's Favorite BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 11:32:41 AM »
piercing hammer or smashing?
You got my vote for RA2 Wizard. Always and forever.

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 12:00:58 PM »
Smashing if I can get away with it, the arm is setup to have interchangeable heads so that'll probably happen, if people start to bring judge plates I can go with a spike, I'd rather bend up someone's frame than pierce their expensive electronics box, this is sportsmans league after all not super serious mode.

Just about everything is ordered and the last should be here in the next few days, then its frame fabrication time, it should come together fairly fast.

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 07:42:55 PM »
Parts arriving today

also got a cheap DRO for my mill, because why not

Offline R1885

• Rep: 3
  • Forum shopping list generator.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 07:54:08 PM »
Why do you have a receiver battery? Unless your ESCs don't have a BEC and you don't have a RadioShack nearby, you don't need it.

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 08:28:16 PM »
this for franklin, or are you waiting for moto?

looking good so far man.

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 07:46:14 AM »
Why do you have a receiver battery? Unless your ESCs don't have a BEC and you don't have a RadioShack nearby, you don't need it.

People on the FB group were bitching and complaining that I couldn't use my old RCE battery eliminator circuit without blowing everything up because newer esc's aren't optically isolated so I figured I'd play it safe its like a quarter of an ounce to make sure my bot doesn't mushroom cloud.

I'm aiming for franklin, my angle-iron-wedge-defense for these bullsh** sportsman notwedge bots got shot down because of course it did so now my plan is to make sure my first solid hit kills the bot

Small CAD update for the hammer support and hammer arm, still needs some tweaking I just liked the triangle pattern :p
The open area on the main support will house the rack and pinion to actuate the arm.

Not pictured which may not happen is there will be a AR400 cutting edge along the front of the hammer incase the head misses
ruincad4.jpg

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 11:58:31 AM »
i can't tell if your batteries are lipo. If they are you can't use them in a sportsman at franklin. venue won't allow it.

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 12:30:43 PM »
i can't tell if your batteries are lipo. If they are you can't use them in a sportsman at franklin. venue won't allow it.

LiFePo , I'm fine

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 02:54:48 PM »
CF, UHMW baseplates/armor, screws, piston clevis, ect. ect. showed up this afternoon, solenoid should be in later today or tomorrow.  Cad progress continues and it mostly wrapped up, weight seeming less and less dire as I continue to swiss cheesify parts, and my hammer support members probably dont need to be 3/4" thick, should have it ready for tweaking by early next month.

also ordered some ar400 shooting targets to chop up into various hammer heads

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 08:50:16 AM »
Ordered the waterjet parts today so the design is largely finalized
ended up lengthening the frame a little, and designing the whole thing to be sawed down to ~2.5" tall for version 2, or another bot.

bluesaw.jpg

Offline Natef

• Rep: 6
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
    • View Profile
    • Nate Reviews Home
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 03:52:05 PM »
Wait: you were at Bot Blast?

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2015, 03:13:27 AM »
Yep

Offline Natef

• View Profile
    • Nate Reviews Home
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2015, 02:19:02 PM »
What bot did you have at Bot Blast? I feel really dumb right now.

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2015, 02:30:01 PM »

Didn't, I took my godson, I was the tall guy with the buffalo warmachine jersey whom Adrian was haranging all day :p

If blue saw comes through for me and my stuff comes in next week i'll be showing up at barn battles in PA next weekend

Might throw together a 12pounder with some handiworks drills i have sitting around

Offline Natef

• View Profile
    • Nate Reviews Home
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2015, 04:03:06 PM »

Didn't, I took my godson, I was the tall guy with the buffalo warmachine jersey whom Adrian was haranging all day :p

If blue saw comes through for me and my stuff comes in next week i'll be showing up at barn battles in PA next weekend

Might throw together a 12pounder with some handiworks drills i have sitting around

Your godson was given a broken sawblade as a gift correct?

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2015, 04:11:48 PM »
Oh yeah, I think you were talking to my mom for most of the day XD

Offline Philippa

• The Queen of GTM
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • ✊ Viva la Standard! ✊
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2015, 04:19:51 PM »
Oh yeah, I think you were talking to my mom for most of the day XD
playa

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2015, 07:54:35 AM »
Yes on both counts

In other news ruin snaps its weapon chains so I'm going to have to double strand it and use something else to return the hammer, order another sprocket and get clever, or turn it into a flipper.

hrm =/