Author Topic: TDS  (Read 22328 times)

Offline TDS

• Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: TDS
« Reply #80 on: October 30, 2015, 09:32:17 AM »
Redesign time!

Currently I am cncing my home mill, so I haven't had a ton of CAD time, hopefully once I start making chips again I can spend time i'm not spending milling, sitting next to the mill using autocad :)

Current plans:
1: Drive Train/frame:  lighter, less prone to failure/fire

--Custom wheels, lighter, stronger, wider than colsons
--Integrate drive train into sides, not the frame
----Drive pods will be ~2" dia .125" wall square tubing
----Drive pods will be attached to the machine via new, thick UHMW front and rear bumpers, not super rigidly like before
----No rotating shafts, every shaft will be static, and have a reasonable airgap for damage
--Possibly brushless upgrade, more likely drive train weight savings will go into slightly bigger drive motors

2: Weapon drive: not as strong (was overkill) lighter, no turns

--Entire piston assembly to be remachined, stronger, lighter, better, easier exhaust of gas still inside the piston when fired
--bigger buffer tank to be relocated to under the weapon clevis, more armored, suports that support the tank will also support the weapon frame members, everything inline with the valve instead of a bunch of 90 degree turns
--clevis to be integrated with piston rod, 1" solid 7075 was overkill, weight savings to be had
--new return design to not have the return chain sticking out the front
--new return clevis also to integrate lifting forks on the front of the bot to satisfy sportsman rules and not tip over so much
--new, lighter weight weapon hub, cam design to increase power as well as return strength
--return to be pneumatically powered instead of spring powered
--possibly going to two smaller tanks rather than one large one (still need to math it out)

3: Frame/armor :
--if I go with 2 smaller tanks, bot can have cooler beveled sides, need to calculate weight savings VS large single tank
--2 smaller tanks will also allow the machine to be less fat (though it was pretty small compared to other bots there)
--armor was overkill-ish, need more effective usage of weight for armor, will likely weld another uhmw shell together, but this time properly machined with dovetails, and not half an inch thick :P
--proper electronics, wiring, and pneumatics mounting rather than baling wire and bubblegum rush job
--I have titanium skinning but didnt want to use it on V1, likely will be included

4: Weapon:
--Going to try and make it more modular, if possible will be able to pull the hammer frame members out and replace with a flipper or other weapon on the fly, will take some engineering
--Weapon will be designed last to integrate all available extra weight, some ideas for modular hammerheads are in my mind :)
--Will try and keep rigid firing system from before, need a friction clutch or something for lifting forks
--I kind of want to build it into a shuffler and put all 15lbs of extra weight into the hammer ;)

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: October 31, 2015, 07:22:25 AM »
First fight! (finally)

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: October 31, 2015, 08:47:24 PM »
Learning solidworks waiting for my cnc parts to come in

Wheelpods turning out pretty good, at .97 pounds so far, with a few solid parts that will be machined out, need some more braces, misc crap ect.

For comparison just the outer bumper of the old wheel pods was .6 pounds, between these and the new wheels shafts and wheels I should save in the ballpark of 3-4 pounds, AND be stronger.

Offline qwertythe300th

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
  • /r/Battlebots Moderator, and well thats about it.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: October 31, 2015, 09:42:54 PM »
How much did it cost to build Ruin? Just wondering, I want to get into the sport somehow.
Lone Star Domination.

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2015, 06:13:57 AM »
A lot, at least 2k

But most of that money is in tools, no matter how much of the robot blows up, I still have tools
I highly suggest the 3 pound bracket, you can make them with hand tools, and dont have to go through the crazy weight management of the 1lb class.

Once my cnc is up, I can cnc parts for people for a few bucks to help offset costs

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: November 03, 2015, 08:32:56 PM »
just screwing around with geometry and making lattices

Flipping the rear section lets me maintain traction if the front lifts (which its going to, a lot) the angled front allowed the front bumper and wedgelets to connect while protecting the more vulnerable front wheel, basically I'm building a bulkhead in all 6 directions around the wheels with ~ 1/4" airspace in all directions

at current length both drive pods, the wheels, shafts and some misc hardware calculate out to a little over 4 pounds, which is a crazy improvement over about 3 pounds of just frame members on ruin1  I might get fancier with the machining (infinite cnc time yay!)

Unfortunately if I want to belt drive wheels which is what the design calls for, I'll likely need to not put in the cool angled side panels from the previous post unless I get creative, I could squish them down and put the front drive pulleys on the outside and the rear on the inside underneath.

currently on the hunt for shorter drive motors that still put out the pain, I dont have weight or want to throw bevel gears on the gearboxes, but i'll have issues with running the same motors if they are inline with one another since I want to squish down the front end to fit more effective use of armor.  Ideally there's a fatter, shorter, same or more powerful motor out there, just need to find it.

Here's the layout i'm thinking, it'll probably get a little longerbut its around 1/3rd thinner, going to really get in there with effective use of space, getting rid of the buffer chamber for something more interesting and probably suicidal, the new gas system runs underneath the clevis where the old speed controllers went and is dramatically beefier.

I'm hoping to make the front area up to the hammer chain-ish area unibody aluminum with titanium skinning over it and the rest of the bot, that gives me more surface area to attach stuff inside, and lets me do cooler shapes than nutstrip uhmw would alllow.

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: November 10, 2015, 10:30:25 AM »
screwing around waiting for last cnc parts to come in, working towards the fabled 600mph hammer :p

Offline Resetti's Replicas

• Rep: 18
  • Replica King
    • ResettisReplicas
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #87 on: November 10, 2015, 07:04:25 PM »
Oh hey, I didn't realize you were on GTM.  What was the deal with the Christmas tree?

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: November 10, 2015, 07:09:43 PM »
My frame was binding up on the one side, i smoked a drive motor and the weapon was running at halfish pressure, the christmas tree was going to be for the rumble but I asked and they said they might not have one, and i'd probably only get one more match out of the other drive motor.

Thus christmas tree, thunderhead wasn't going to be beaten by ruin even probably if it was working properly the thing is like the perfect counter design with ~8 or 9 inches of airspace between its steel lattice lid and the important bits I want to reach.  I'll have a weapon head for it next time, but mostly I knew I was going to lose unless he had a catastrophic failure somehow.

the tree was just ziptied to the hammer arm, it really didn't effect the fight at all.
I'm hoping to get ruin2 together by moto in its full 300+mph hammer glory but we'll see how long this cnc project takes me.

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #89 on: November 19, 2015, 08:38:36 AM »
Nope not dead, just still working on CNCing the mill when I have time.

overall design is pretty much finalized, even smaller than the previous post, the piston might be moved up or down a weensy bit but probably not.

there /should/ be enough room in there for everything  I'll be doing it in 3d to verify I have enough room for misc stuff like tubing and speed controllers.
The slight  overlap between the frame and outer frame is so that the uhmw rear bumper can tongue and groove into the lid.
The lid will likely end where the front piston trunion joins, letting me build a cool angular front end with the airspace overtop of the drive motors

I've also gotten my first sponsor since returning *high5*

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #90 on: November 21, 2015, 09:06:10 PM »

Offline Sage

• Rep: 11
  • RA2 Wizard & GTM's Favorite Stock Builder 2015
  • Awards Sage's Favorite BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: November 21, 2015, 11:16:08 PM »
Wow, impressive CAD. Looks awesome
You got my vote for RA2 Wizard. Always and forever.

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: November 22, 2015, 11:32:44 AM »
Currently clocking in at just under 12 pounds including the drive motors gearboxes and cylinder (and no screws)

(underside shot)

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #93 on: November 24, 2015, 07:40:42 PM »
Weapon assembly ready to contain a nuclear bomb

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: December 15, 2015, 11:52:40 AM »
So it looks like i'm making a beetle as it should be quick and easy, and registering it gives me an extra pit pass :P
Spoiler: it's basically a bar spinner, but throwing all of the norms of bar spinner out of the window and stomping on them, also being way too big in typical TDS fashon

Yeah that "might" be the blade in scale with the weapon motor and kit bots drive motors

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #95 on: December 15, 2015, 12:36:44 PM »
Jesus dude. That blade looks way too big. How long is it meant to be?

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #96 on: December 15, 2015, 12:39:05 PM »
Its currently 24"

Offline Conraaa

• Certified Hood Classic
  • Rep: 10
  • I like my sugar with coffee and cream
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #97 on: December 16, 2015, 05:37:39 AM »
Spinup time will be horrendous on that, surely?

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #98 on: December 16, 2015, 07:48:05 AM »
I guess we'll find out!
The advantage of having a big weapon is your tipspeed is much higher for a given rpm, so I can gear lower to improve spinup time and not really lose much/any net energy.

The design has the ability to run a smaller blade, I just want to try an idea with this one.

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #99 on: December 16, 2015, 02:25:01 PM »
The big bar spinner beetles in the UK just have a tendency to rip themselves apart. Or be ripped apart. Or break down.
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15