Author Topic: TDS  (Read 22335 times)

Offline MikeNCR

• Rep: 11
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: TDS
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2015, 02:57:57 PM »
If you'd spent less time complaining and more time talking to people like a civilized adult you'd have found out that this configuration is considered 100% legal for the Sportsman class a good while ago-

Offline TDS

• Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2015, 02:59:00 PM »
Make it wider though, and its illegal

Offline MikeNCR

• Rep: 11
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2015, 03:01:41 PM »

Yes.

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2015, 03:21:52 PM »

Yes.

so again, the original point, wedge defenses are largely illegal, and have little if anything to do with your offensive "wedgeocity" the rules apparent design to keep matches from being boring shoving matches or everything being vaporized by spinners is not effective at preventing wedges (or other bots that focus on removing wheels from pavement) from dominating the class.
virtually every sportsman event in a very long time has been won by a bot whose main design point was to remove wheels from floor despite removing wheels from floor being something the class is supposed to be built to prevent every match devolving into.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 08:21:40 PM by TDS »

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2015, 03:13:21 PM »
Today is :make sure I'm not overweight day

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2015, 07:40:59 PM »
super manly weapon mounting complete, in other news my clean bot has been ruined by the buttery nature of UHMW, the armor is super sloppy :(

« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 09:25:25 AM by TDS »

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2015, 08:19:22 AM »
It lives

I'm actually a lot farther than this I just forgot to update the thread

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2015, 07:19:36 PM »

Offline Silverfish

• The Hardest Part of Ending is Starting Again
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • Welcome to the quiet before the storm hits...
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2015, 07:21:02 PM »
that is utterly terrifying.
Tourney stuffs:

"We need a new way to defeat them... Something they haven't seen. Something... no one... has ever seen..."
-Gelorum, Acceleracers: Ignition

Youtube(cuz I can't use the normal link): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ8zJZecbrpqiZK2eLnKLAA

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2015, 07:23:16 PM »
still around 1 pound underweight, if I have time i'm going to make a chain guard and an extra layer of armor over some important parts, there's already extra sheilding around the motors, solenoid, and the speed controllers are sandwiched between the hammer frame members, it would take a hell of a hit to reach them

wish I had found a micro solenoid for hammer return but hopefully ~60lbs of springs should do the job

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2015, 07:34:53 PM »
duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2015, 06:10:58 PM »
unfortunately the armor shell won't be all cool and angular its first time out, I dont have time for that sh** right now

good news is there's at least 1/2" uhmw with a big airgap between anything important ant the outside world, I popped an extra  1/4" on top of where the solenoid mounts since its the only thing even remotely close to the lid

Offline Silverfish

• The Hardest Part of Ending is Starting Again
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Welcome to the quiet before the storm hits...
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2015, 06:55:12 PM »
 :eek:
Tourney stuffs:

"We need a new way to defeat them... Something they haven't seen. Something... no one... has ever seen..."
-Gelorum, Acceleracers: Ignition

Youtube(cuz I can't use the normal link): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ8zJZecbrpqiZK2eLnKLAA

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: October 22, 2015, 07:43:39 AM »
god damn. good luck this weekend man.

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: October 22, 2015, 02:24:10 PM »
The moment you have all been waiting for

Weapon test at 1/2 power

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #75 on: October 22, 2015, 06:57:22 PM »
Unfortunately i've run into a miriad of last minute issues, mostly because I procrastinated but whatever, taking a quick break to eat then getting back into it.

the bad:
- When firing at half or more power, the weapon cievis's return springs twist it, causing it to bind, I shimmed this out with a uhmw guide, which it proceeded to eat, pulling in some chain partially resolved this but I get less swing (shouldn't matter, acceleration is virtually instant)

-drive train issues, just belts being too tight or too loose, my last minute belt tensioners aren't doing a good job, might run with 2 wheels, most of my weight is in front anyway

-because the system is so rigid, the hammer striking caused backpressure in the system, popping the burst valve, i'm poking around for a solution of a slightly higher pressure safety valve, but not finding any results yet, this will be a scavenger hunt saturday morning more than likely.

-the hammer swinging is kind of boring, despite being pretty effective

the good:
-the system works, pretty exceptionally well, there's not a ton of rebound force due to its rigidity, and it can do severe damage to even extremely shock mounted steel (on top of tire in previous post) and doesn't bounce around like a hammer that relies on acceleration
-there's room for more effective power with some pneumatic tinkering i'll do at the event
-it has a good amount of armor for how much weapon it is carting around
-the frame still specs fairly well
-none of these issues are really "that bad" they just are going to be difficult to resolve properly before Franklin

So spoiler alert: dont get hopes up too high :p

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: October 25, 2015, 09:24:54 AM »
So while I didnt win any matches, I had a ton of fun, and ruinv2 will be enormously better

Issues:
-before the event, it was discovered my pneumatic safety was bad, I had to fall back to a 200psi check valve, the backpressure from the hammer firing would trigger this valve, I was forced to run ~150 psi instead of the 300-500 that I was supposed to.
-team delta relay burned up after the pre match test fire vs iron golem
-the drive train is too integrated with the frame and bound up.

Lessons:
-looking at other bots, I overbuilt ruins frame because I dont have any experience in anything this small, magneto's flipper is like 1/4" thick plates, ruin has 8 3/8" frame members
-there's a ton of weight savings once I redux the pneumatics and drive system
-my armor lid worked amazingly, it took an immense beating in my second match, from a bot that was basically designed to hit exactly where I didnt want to (between the two supports, in the side where I had no attachments, right next to the window I needed for safety) and it still only suffered some damage and bent inwards, against iron golem his axe did virtually nothing, judging from other bots I dont think the biggest hammer there (piston wax) has any hope of penetrating 1/2" uhmw

Matches:
Iron golem v ruin
after I realized my hammer was out, ruin turned into a pusher, I feel as I was taking iron golem to lunch but we'll see when the video comes out if that is the case, I stuck to him like a fat kid on a buffet table, avoiding his hammer strikes and shoving him around, also wearing him as a hat once or twice, he landed a grand total of maybe 2 or 3 hits in the minute or so, and spent most of the match being shoved around, and generally being unstable which is sort of how the design works, roughly a minute into the fight I think(?) I ended up wall slamming him and the front bumper was tweaked slightly, in turn tweaking the wheelguard, which in turn bound up one side of my drive, banebots motor smoked, and I tapped.
Looking back at my second match performance, I shouldn't have tapped, again I immediately was thinking of expensive speed controller repairs without considering that my speed controllers can handle these motors at stall with gusto, there was no danger.
Despite the pretty quick loss, I was pretty happy with ruins performance, its armor was invincible, its drive was alright, I remembered how to fight immediately which was nice not getting taken to lunch by someone who fights all the time.

I removed the drive motor and set the wheels on that side to free spin so I still had mobiliy

Thunderaxe v ruin
This but was basically exactly what I didnt want to face, not only did I only have half of my drive train, but his high hammer was going to be constantly striking my hammer chains, and the upper section of my armor from the side where it is far, far weaker, in addition he had a thick steel frame, steel lattice I was guaranteed to get stuck inside, oh and his bot was so tall I wouldn't be hitting with the hammer head, oh and he had like 8 inches of airspace between that frame and any of the good stuff I wanted to hit, FANTASTIC.
This calls for the spirit of christmas, we were planning on saving it for the rumble, but as the rumble was probably not going to happen (it did but I missed it) we decided it was time since in all likelyhood I was going to burn out the remaining motor, you will see when the video is uploaded
Pretty much exactly what happened, with reduced pressure I couldn't damage the steel frame with half drive ruin drives pretty well, once or twice i was able to lift him off the ground with the stuck hammer and give him some pushing, and I missed shattering one of his plastic gearboxes by a really thin margin late in the fight.

Improvements: will be focued on reliability, and effective use of weight, since the hammer is still pretty nasty when it actually fires at full pressure, which it hasn't in anger yet, the pneumatics will likely stay close to the same
1: I will be out of commission for a bit as I upgrade and CNC-ize my mill
2: the drive train will be separated from the frame, or more specifically, it will be in its own frame, the new drive wheels will be lighter either the entire drive train will be contained within a 2" or so diameter tube, or the drive motor will be attached to that tube and not the body of the machine, basically no matter what happens to the frame of the robot, the drive train should remain solid since they are their own little "drive pods"
3: wiring and pneumatics will be prerouted, with proper terminals and manifolds, because the inside of my bot was a huge mess
4. armor will be more angular, cooler, and not put together in an hour with a jigsaw
5: since I have time, I'll likely do fancy electronic valve control, meaning I can decrease the size of my tank

Thats pretty much it, the inside of the bot was a mess because I had to make last minute changes for it to work, so the whole thing was a mess :)

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: October 25, 2015, 02:47:35 PM »
Ruin V thunderhead (match2)

1/4thish hammer power and 1 wheel drive, lol

Offline Natef

• Rep: 6
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
    • View Profile
    • Nate Reviews Home
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: October 25, 2015, 04:12:48 PM »
Glad you had a working bot, and I'm glad to have helped out!

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: October 26, 2015, 09:08:00 AM »
Yeah I appreciate all the help!