Author Topic: RR2 Campaign Mode  (Read 3086 times)

Offline CodeSilver23

• RR2 Enthusiast and Design Innovator
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -2
  • Stars v Legends founder, Inventor of the Wheel-fix
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: CodeSilverGaming
RR2 Campaign Mode
« on: August 03, 2019, 07:17:45 PM »
This is a place to share your ideas about what should or shouldn't be in a campaign mode.
Accomplishments:

Offline Gulden

• Am I still considered active?
  • Rep: 7
  • Currently trying to make a Riff in Time and Space.
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Gulden#1901
Re: RR2 Campaign Mode
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2019, 11:10:08 PM »
I can see it going one of two ways.

1: Resource management style gameplay where each part has a cost and you start with a low budget.  Kinda like every other sports game.
You continually battle over and over again using your winnings to go from underdog to topdog.

2: RA2 style where you go around competing in various live events just having a good time.  Possibly with an overarching tournament between them.

I personally prefer the later of the two, but in all honesty, I'd be ok if there just wasn't a campaign mode at all.
I have several opinions.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2019, 11:14:49 PM »
I think it would be cool if we could get as many real-life tournaments and weight classes in the game as possible.  Especially things like Robotica, that aren’t strictly combat.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 07:04:12 AM by cjbruce »

Offline CodeSilver23

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 11:33:17 PM »
I can see it going one of two ways.

1: Resource management style gameplay where each part has a cost and you start with a low budget.  Kinda like every other sports game.
You continually battle over and over again using your winnings to go from underdog to topdog.

2: RA2 style where you go around competing in various live events just having a good time.  Possibly with an overarching tournament between them.

I personally prefer the later of the two, but in all honesty, I'd be ok if there just wasn't a campaign mode at all.

I was thinking the same thing with the resource management, where you start off with, say, $500 to make a lightweight. Then, through winnings and maybe sponsorship deals, your budget gets bigger, allowing you to afford building bots in higher weight classes. Some other things I think would be cool to have:

1) Perks/badges. I'm a big sports nut and I play a lot of NBA2k. A little while back, they added badges to the game, which allow you to do certain things at a higher level. I was thinking that there could be badges that would allow you to fix your bot faster between matches, or have discounted prices on parts, or a whole bunch of other things

2)A storyline. This one would be harder to pull off, but if you could, it would add a whole new aspect that could maybe get the attention of some big gaming companies. Just saying.

3) Recruiting. Say you want to have a mini-bot, or fix things super fast in the pits. You know what would help? Teammates! That's what the recruiting would be for.

4) Difficulty levels. Self-explanatory.

5) Intro scene before matches. I'm just thinking of maybe panning in on both the bots, and the countdown. Just something that would pump you up before the match.
Accomplishments:

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 08:10:59 AM »
Two questions:

1. What do you like about the way RA2’s system works?  What would you chnage?

2. What other games are great examples of ideas we could use?

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 08:23:58 AM »

I was thinking the same thing with the resource management, where you start off with, say, $500 to make a lightweight. Then, through winnings and maybe sponsorship deals, your budget gets bigger, allowing you to afford building bots in higher weight classes. Some other things I think would be cool to have:

1) Perks/badges. I'm a big sports nut and I play a lot of NBA2k. A little while back, they added badges to the game, which allow you to do certain things at a higher level. I was thinking that there could be badges that would allow you to fix your bot faster between matches, or have discounted prices on parts, or a whole bunch of other things

I was thinking that one of the biggest challenges with the game is that it needs to teach.  People on the GTM forums already know a lot about robot combat, but a random person who picks up the game isn’t going to know the difference between a lifter and a flipper.

Here in the US, Fingertech sells a one-pound antweight robot kit that can be configured as a wedge, lifter, or spinner.  Could we do something similar?  Maybe starting off with a simple choice in kit form?  Maybe in the beetleweight class where the stakes??? are small?

Offline [cringey name goes here]

• Supah Kickah
  • Rep: -4
  • coolest monkey in the jungle 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2019, 09:01:49 AM »
Two questions:

This may just be me, but I think being able to adjust your build in between fights could lead to some fun match-ups. IE: Adding an anti-spinner configuration.
please eat something that you're allergic to, in excessive ammounts
:sweat-smile: sadness anxiety insanity and chaos some people choose 1 or 2 me i choose all 4 :sweat-smile:
funniest user 2020

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2019, 11:01:52 AM »
Two questions:

This may just be me, but I think being able to adjust your build in between fights could lead to some fun match-ups. IE: Adding an anti-spinner configuration.

I like that idea too.  Maybe coming in with a bunch of ready-to go parts?  Maybe based on a weight limit?

Offline F1Krazy

• Put me on a pedestal and I'll only disappoint you
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 4
  • Tell me I'm exceptional, I promise to exploit you
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2019, 11:32:49 AM »
Two questions:

I like that idea too.  Maybe coming in with a bunch of ready-to go parts?  Maybe based on a weight limit?
Having a limited number of alternate configs could be fun, and would tie in with how modern robot combat works, but I don't know how you'd integrate that into the current build system. Perhaps something like Automation, where your cars have a base model and then one or more trims; you could have a base robot (chassis, drive system, batteries), and then everything else you put on it is a config. That'd be a total revamp of the build system, though.

Something like RA2 and the Robot Wars games, where you have a limited amount of time to make repairs (and/or change configs) between matches, would also be great, and add a little extra challenge to things, as you try to prioritise which parts to repair/replace.

One thing I'd like to note is that, if you're gonna have a tournament mode, you're gonna need a much bigger roster of opponents than at present. Especially if the tournaments are gonna cover the whole spectrum from antweights up to heavyweights, and especially if you don't want tournaments to get stale because you're fighting the same machines over and over, like in RA2. It should be fine to pad out the roster with botlab creations like (again) RA2 and the Robot Wars games, but you gotta make sure they collectively showcase as many of the botlab's capabilities as possible.
My DSL Showcase

Offline [cringey name goes here]

• Supah Kickah
  • Rep: -4
  • coolest monkey in the jungle 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2019, 11:50:01 AM »
Two questions:

Having a limited number of alternate configs could be fun, and would tie in with how modern robot combat works, but I don't know how you'd integrate that into the current build system. Perhaps something like Automation, where your cars have a base model and then one or more trims; you could have a base robot (chassis, drive system, batteries), and then everything else you put on it is a config. That'd be a total revamp of the build system, though.

Something like RA2 and the Robot Wars games, where you have a limited amount of time to make repairs (and/or change configs) between matches, would also be great, and add a little extra challenge to things, as you try to prioritise which parts to repair/replace.

One thing I'd like to note is that, if you're gonna have a tournament mode, you're gonna need a much bigger roster of opponents than at present. Especially if the tournaments are gonna cover the whole spectrum from antweights up to heavyweights, and especially if you don't want tournaments to get stale because you're fighting the same machines over and over, like in RA2. It should be fine to pad out the roster with botlab creations like (again) RA2 and the Robot Wars games, but you gotta make sure they collectively showcase as many of the botlab's capabilities as possible.
It would be awesome if you could add your own builds as opponents to fight in tournaments as well. Alternatively, patches can be made that add new opponents, along with the old ones, but I personally favor the former.
please eat something that you're allergic to, in excessive ammounts
:sweat-smile: sadness anxiety insanity and chaos some people choose 1 or 2 me i choose all 4 :sweat-smile:
funniest user 2020

Offline pokebro14

• Your mother
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • Interior crocodile alligator 🤔
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2019, 02:21:11 PM »
Ok so I think having themed campaign mode could be cool.
So you could chose different campaigns with different themes or bots in them.
Also rewards for how well you do in each like maybe a new workshop look or new special components.
I think customising the workshop is just something that should be added as it would be a nice way to display success in tournaments as well as add something that could be a neat customizable thing
Achievements and tournament placings

Offline F1Krazy

• Put me on a pedestal and I'll only disappoint you
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 4
  • Tell me I'm exceptional, I promise to exploit you
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2019, 02:39:09 PM »
Ok so I think having themed campaign mode could be cool.
So you could chose different campaigns with different themes or bots in them.
Also rewards for how well you do in each like maybe a new workshop look or new special components.
I think customising the workshop is just something that should be added as it would be a nice way to display success in tournaments as well as add something that could be a neat customizable thing
Like how RA2 has trophies? You could maybe have a trophy cabinet in the workshop, and then every time you win a trophy in a tournament, it gets displayed there.

Maybe you have to beat a robot in Campaign Mode before you can unlock it for free-play use? Sort of like how winning tournaments in the RW games unlocked real-life competitors?
My DSL Showcase

Offline CodeSilver23

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2019, 02:49:54 PM »
Unlocking opponents would be awesome.
Accomplishments:

Offline WhamettNuht

• Rep: 12
  • Robot Building Drag Queen
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: WhamettNuht #1457
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2019, 04:54:18 PM »
I love the idea of the campaign mode, however I also think it would be a good idea to have a setting in the options which allows the player to choose either 'Campaign' or 'Sandbox' mode (for those who want/need to have everything unlocked from the offset, ect replica builders, forum tournament builders) kinda like how (as an example) Cities Skylines lets you choose between normal gameplay and sandbox within the options as a stock 'mod'.
Damn I should probably put something fancy in this bit huh?

Offline CyarSkirata

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2019, 05:57:56 PM »
I have an idea regarding how sandbox vs career could work. Basically, my thinking is that at any time you can build fully sandbox bots and do sandbox exhibition matches, but you also have career progress and can work in the bot lab through the career menu to have the game show you whether you can afford the parts to build the bot in that career.

That system would allow you to go between sandbox and career without having to change anything in the settings menu, and could let you bring a sandbox bot into a career later just by loading it in the career workshop, and buying it for the cost of all its parts.

For examples of similar systems, you could look at blueprints in Space Engineers, which can be projected in a survival game, and you build the individual blocks of the projection with your collected resources - or vehicles in Stormworks where you can spawn any vehicle into a survival world at a workshop area, as long as you've unlocked and can afford all the parts.
Stuff I Done Competed In: