Robot Rumble 2.0 > Robot Rumble 2.0

RR2 Campaign Mode

<< < (2/3) > >>

cjbruce:

--- Quote from: CodeSilver23 on August 03, 2019, 11:33:17 PM ---
I was thinking the same thing with the resource management, where you start off with, say, $500 to make a lightweight. Then, through winnings and maybe sponsorship deals, your budget gets bigger, allowing you to afford building bots in higher weight classes. Some other things I think would be cool to have:

1) Perks/badges. I'm a big sports nut and I play a lot of NBA2k. A little while back, they added badges to the game, which allow you to do certain things at a higher level. I was thinking that there could be badges that would allow you to fix your bot faster between matches, or have discounted prices on parts, or a whole bunch of other things

--- End quote ---

I was thinking that one of the biggest challenges with the game is that it needs to teach.  People on the GTM forums already know a lot about robot combat, but a random person who picks up the game isn’t going to know the difference between a lifter and a flipper.

Here in the US, Fingertech sells a one-pound antweight robot kit that can be configured as a wedge, lifter, or spinner.  Could we do something similar?  Maybe starting off with a simple choice in kit form?  Maybe in the beetleweight class where the stakes??? are small?

[cringey name goes here]:

--- Quote from: cjbruce on August 04, 2019, 08:10:59 AM ---Two questions:

1. What do you like about the way RA2’s system works?  What would you chnage?

2. What other games are great examples of ideas we could use?

--- End quote ---
This may just be me, but I think being able to adjust your build in between fights could lead to some fun match-ups. IE: Adding an anti-spinner configuration.

cjbruce:

--- Quote from: [cringey name goes here] on August 04, 2019, 09:01:49 AM ---

--- End quote ---
This may just be me, but I think being able to adjust your build in between fights could lead to some fun match-ups. IE: Adding an anti-spinner configuration.

--- End quote ---

I like that idea too.  Maybe coming in with a bunch of ready-to go parts?  Maybe based on a weight limit?

F1Krazy:

--- Quote from: cjbruce on August 04, 2019, 11:01:52 AM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I like that idea too.  Maybe coming in with a bunch of ready-to go parts?  Maybe based on a weight limit?

--- End quote ---
Having a limited number of alternate configs could be fun, and would tie in with how modern robot combat works, but I don't know how you'd integrate that into the current build system. Perhaps something like Automation, where your cars have a base model and then one or more trims; you could have a base robot (chassis, drive system, batteries), and then everything else you put on it is a config. That'd be a total revamp of the build system, though.

Something like RA2 and the Robot Wars games, where you have a limited amount of time to make repairs (and/or change configs) between matches, would also be great, and add a little extra challenge to things, as you try to prioritise which parts to repair/replace.

One thing I'd like to note is that, if you're gonna have a tournament mode, you're gonna need a much bigger roster of opponents than at present. Especially if the tournaments are gonna cover the whole spectrum from antweights up to heavyweights, and especially if you don't want tournaments to get stale because you're fighting the same machines over and over, like in RA2. It should be fine to pad out the roster with botlab creations like (again) RA2 and the Robot Wars games, but you gotta make sure they collectively showcase as many of the botlab's capabilities as possible.

[cringey name goes here]:

--- Quote from: F1Krazy on August 04, 2019, 11:32:49 AM ---
--- Quote from: cjbruce on August 04, 2019, 11:01:52 AM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
Having a limited number of alternate configs could be fun, and would tie in with how modern robot combat works, but I don't know how you'd integrate that into the current build system. Perhaps something like Automation, where your cars have a base model and then one or more trims; you could have a base robot (chassis, drive system, batteries), and then everything else you put on it is a config. That'd be a total revamp of the build system, though.

Something like RA2 and the Robot Wars games, where you have a limited amount of time to make repairs (and/or change configs) between matches, would also be great, and add a little extra challenge to things, as you try to prioritise which parts to repair/replace.

One thing I'd like to note is that, if you're gonna have a tournament mode, you're gonna need a much bigger roster of opponents than at present. Especially if the tournaments are gonna cover the whole spectrum from antweights up to heavyweights, and especially if you don't want tournaments to get stale because you're fighting the same machines over and over, like in RA2. It should be fine to pad out the roster with botlab creations like (again) RA2 and the Robot Wars games, but you gotta make sure they collectively showcase as many of the botlab's capabilities as possible.

--- End quote ---
It would be awesome if you could add your own builds as opponents to fight in tournaments as well. Alternatively, patches can be made that add new opponents, along with the old ones, but I personally favor the former.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version