Poll

What do you like doing most in RA2/RA3/robot combat games?

Building robots
Local single player battles with manually-controlled robots
Local multiplayer battles  with manually-controlled robots (PvP with controllers or a shared keyboard)
AI-only tournament battles
Other?  Please comment below.

Author Topic: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development  (Read 190726 times)

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development
« Reply #2060 on: March 04, 2020, 04:46:39 PM »
I reduced damage by quite a bit.  Spinners take a lot longer to come off, and they start working annoyingly before they do.  I still want to do another round of testing before I put the build out though.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2061 on: March 04, 2020, 04:49:52 PM »
I reduced damage by quite a bit.  Spinners take a lot longer to come off, and they start working annoyingly before they do.  I still want to do another round of testing before I put the build out though.
Need a tester? ;)

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2062 on: March 04, 2020, 05:06:43 PM »
Need a tester? ;)

Bleeding Edge Build?

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2063 on: March 04, 2020, 05:08:18 PM »
Maybe

Offline Team Lightning

• Addicted to combat robotics, good at annoying people, and wanting to get to -10000 rep XD.
  • Beetleweight
  • Rep: -4
  • Education is important, robots are importanter.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2064 on: March 04, 2020, 05:28:11 PM »
Need a tester? ;)
I can test too

Offline CodeSilver23

• RR2 Enthusiast and Design Innovator
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -2
  • Stars v Legends founder, Inventor of the Wheel-fix
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: CodeSilverGaming
« Reply #2065 on: March 04, 2020, 05:53:39 PM »
Need a tester? ;)

Bleeding Edge Build?
Well I’m free at 8 so I can give you a quick response.
Accomplishments:

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2066 on: March 04, 2020, 08:26:00 PM »
I just posted a 04March2020 Bleeding Edge Build:

http://www.robot-rumble.com/bleedingedgebuilds/

In this build, spinners break off together.  Damage has been severely reduced.  Spinners now wobble.  A ton of bugs were fixed:

[Added] Added Combined_Damageable_Object.cs. This script will track combined damage to a weapon so everything breaks off together.

[Added] Added a tint default color field to the component_Info script, this is for tintable components and allows to have components that aren't white by deault.

[Added] New Components: Extra Decorations, Weapons added + amended, and I also changed the NPC T-64 to make the axle sit on '0' aswell as the facing on a side panel automatically face at a more convenient rotation.

[Added] Added Spinner_Wobble_Controller to spinners. As a spinner takes damage, its center of mass becomes more and more offset. This causes the robot to wobble more and more, and makes driving more difficult.

[Changed] Moved body and axle of F30-400 motor so that it was aligned with the axis.

[Changed] Amended components. A40-300 is now scaled properly but shouldn't affect previous builds as the motor was just scaled.

[Changed] Tweaked DamageableObject.cs so that parts take 3 hits to break off. Also, the minimum damage threshold for a part has been eliminated so that all damage, no matter how small, will accumulate.

[Bug Fix] Fixed a problem with the default tint, where the cloned components got their tint reset to the default one.

[Bug Fix] Fixed the weight of scalable/materiable components where changes in scale/material didn't count to the weight calculation.

[Reverted] Reverted Robot_Reconstruction.massScaleFactor back to 0.1. The increased mass of a massScaleFactor of 1.0 caused the following bugs:

1. The increased chassis weight caused the chassis to scrape on the ground. This problem can be seen in Nuclear Crisis.
2. The increased mass caused impacts to be excessive. This can be compensated in spinner impulse response.
3. The interaction between the increased mass of the chassis and the reduced mass of vertical spinners caused vertical spinners to flip backward too easily (Circumvolution and S3).

[Bug Fix] Reduced force and torque values of motors and linear actuators by massScaleFactor. This means the real-life values can be saved in the Component_Info, but the values are reduced in the Rotation_Component_Script and Linear_Component_Script.

[Disabled] Disabled physics collisions between spinner parts and everything else. This should help reduce physics CPU time and prevent weird collisions.

[Added] Added code in the SpinnerCollisionHandler onCollisionStay to stop the spinner entirely if the spinner is penetrating an immovable object by more than 10% of its radius. This is necessary to prevent the spinner from floating inside the floor while still spinning.

[Bug Fix] Adjusted Combined_Damageable_Object so that when a spinner breaks off it only sets the first part's damage to 0. This means the part breaks off together rather than shattering into all of its component pieces.

[Bug Fix] Fixed the problems with the axle of motors: -Fixed axles being offset from their normal positions, the axle position was for some reason not calculated correctly

Offline CodeSilver23

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #2067 on: March 04, 2020, 08:59:55 PM »
Ok so everything kills everything... a LW vert can launch a box into the ceiling whilst phasing into the floor... and the 30-400s and 40-300s are screwed up again.
In other news, the custom components are amazing!!!
Accomplishments:

Offline min440303

• Lightweight
  • Rep: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2068 on: March 04, 2020, 09:23:58 PM »
1.Old F30s
unknown.png

2.Bots don't gyro

3.Spinner's energy become incredibly high.

4.Those custom decorations are beautiful as hell.

5.When my disc spinner gives a hit, it sometimes just clips into its opponent and does tons of damage like a grinder to the opponent also itself, instead of sending the bot to the air. (sometimes it send both bots to the air, but randomly happens)    Also the disc breaks from small parts but not the whole one together. It's strange that in Feb 16th only the tooth would fall off first and then the whole spinner, but in this build those all stuff inside the disc fall off separately.
999.png

6.Nuclear Crisis's disc hits the floor more severely.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 06:33:09 AM by min440303 »
Mad but not mad.

Stuff I kinda done at

Offline Hobo Droo

• Official Veteran
  • Rep: 7
  • Former Cheater
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2069 on: March 04, 2020, 11:41:26 PM »
Adding on to what Min and Code were saying, most spinners have drastically increased in power.

* eeee.mp4

My lightweight breaks the scales with how much energy it holds

unknown.png
kevin the cube is gone in fortnite

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2070 on: March 05, 2020, 02:29:07 AM »
Adding on to what Min and Code were saying, most spinners have drastically increased in power.
  [ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]  
I mean, you are using a HW brushless motor on a lw

Will give the new build a go now that im awake

Offline Hobo Droo

• Official Veteran
  • Rep: 7
  • Former Cheater
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2071 on: March 05, 2020, 03:10:06 AM »
I mean, you are using a HW brushless motor on a lw

Will give the new build a go now that im awake
That’s true, but it was working at realistic speeds and energy in the February 16th build.
kevin the cube is gone in fortnite

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2072 on: March 05, 2020, 03:16:25 AM »
Ok so now that ive finally booted up the game:

- Old A30 motors are moved, however that is an easy fix we can do by moving them manually, so no big issues
- New A40 motors are fixed, thank you
- The game still launches at 100 tickrate which can cause problems in test lab. One bot has crashed due to high rpm before i went into a battle.
- Bots are extremely violent. At 11000 rpm, the spinner wil hit 200000kj, sometimes in test lab it will clip thru the floor, but only sometimes
- Ive noticed that the jump from 5 mil alu to 5 mil steel is really large. Lets take Sloped shell spinner, Alu 5 and it weighs 38 kilos, Steel 5 and it weighs 110 kilos, i cant change the thickness so yeah. something is off.
- Pressing Del to delete a part is a godsend
- After some testing, lightweights do tend to have higher kj than usual, a 10 kilo weapon can hit 400mph with a 3 inch brushless and can achieve more kj then a hw bot, around 600kj, might limit the tip speed for my tournament for a tempfix
- If a part is thin, it will clip thru the ground.
Few fatal flaws:
- The disc wobble is a great idea: In theory, in practice, when a bot tries to self right using that bar (something like gigabyte, but its not a shell), the bar will damage itself even at low speeds. Self damage is again too high, abd the shake personally might be too high, id lower it slightly(Maybe not for now as we dont know if the violent sudden shaking is because when a weapon clips thru opponent, it possibly could deal a lot of damage to iself and the opponent)
- The biggest issue is that the bots have no impact, the spinners on the bots pretty much go inside other bots and melt the parts they clipped in off.

This is what i have gathered from testing.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2073 on: March 05, 2020, 06:07:22 AM »
Lots of great feedback here.  You guys found bugs WAY faster than I would have.  Thank you!

For this build I disabled collisions with the all of the colliders that made up the part and am relying entirely on the (now invisible, but still there) blur cylinder and my custom-written collision handler.  This is the cause of spinners being inside of other things weirdly.  I had hoped I had solved all of the edge cases to this, but apparently I haven't.  Thank you for finding them! :)

Aluminum density = 2760 kg / m^3
Steel density =  7861 kg / m^3

Steel is about 3 x the weight for the same thickness.  I'm pretty sure Wham intends to go back and tweak things.

In previous builds, the F30-400's origin was set on the side of the motor.  This needed to be reset to the center of the motor.  This does shift the motor down. 

min440303, please let me know if this isn't fixable by shifting the motor back up and the wheels back down.

I will take a look at energies again.  I did a LOT of fiddling with physics in the past few days.  Eventually I reset the massScaleFactor back to 0.1, but this involved adjusting a lot of other things as well that were dependent upon it.  Also, the brushless motor spinner model doesn't exist yet, and I haven't checked the torque and speed numbers for the 3" brushless motor to verify that they are realistic.

Hobo Droo, I'm having trouble with the video.  Would you mind sending the .RR2Bot file with the million Joule spinner?

CodeSilver, would you mind sending me the lightweight that launches the box through the ceiling and phases itself into the floor?

Offline min440303

• Lightweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2074 on: March 05, 2020, 07:18:45 AM »
Lots of great feedback here.  You guys found bugs WAY faster than I would have.  Thank you!

For this build I disabled collisions with the all of the colliders that made up the part and am relying entirely on the (now invisible, but still there) blur cylinder and my custom-written collision handler.  This is the cause of spinners being inside of other things weirdly.  I had hoped I had solved all of the edge cases to this, but apparently I haven't.  Thank you for finding them! :)

Aluminum density = 2760 kg / m^3
Steel density =  7861 kg / m^3

Steel is about 3 x the weight for the same thickness.  I'm pretty sure Wham intends to go back and tweak things.

In previous builds, the F30-400's origin was set on the side of the motor.  This needed to be reset to the center of the motor.  This does shift the motor down. 

min440303, please let me know if this isn't fixable by shifting the motor back up and the wheels back down.

I will take a look at energies again.  I did a LOT of fiddling with physics in the past few days.  Eventually I reset the massScaleFactor back to 0.1, but this involved adjusting a lot of other things as well that were dependent upon it.  Also, the brushless motor spinner model doesn't exist yet, and I haven't checked the torque and speed numbers for the 3" brushless motor to verify that they are realistic.

Hobo Droo, I'm having trouble with the video.  Would you mind sending the .RR2Bot file with the million Joule spinner?

CodeSilver, would you mind sending me the lightweight that launches the box through the ceiling and phases itself into the floor?
Ya it can be fixed by moving them to right position.

3" brushless is good, with LW, HW and HW are all being extremely more powerful, and at least in Feb 16 brushless is doing well in all weight class. So it should have nothing to do with the brushless motor.

Actually almost all spinners have a chance to phase themselves into the floor, maybe it's just because the spinner is too powerful and push itself into the floor by the reacting force while hitting the crate.

8888.png
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 07:50:36 AM by min440303 »
Mad but not mad.

Stuff I kinda done at

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2075 on: March 05, 2020, 08:13:30 AM »

3" brushless is good, with LW, HW and HW are all being extremely more powerful, and at least in Feb 16 brushless is doing well in all weight class. So it should have nothing to do with the brushless motor.

Actually almost all spinners have a chance to phase themselves into the floor, maybe it's just because the spinner is too powerful and push itself into the floor by the reacting force while hitting the crate.

Oof!  I haven't verified the numbers on the 3" brushless.  I'm a little afraid what I might find when I look. :)

In order to solve the phasing problem I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to reenable collisions on the spinner part colliders.  One day I hope to make a proper single compound collider out of all of them.  The tradeoff is that it will increase the physics load having all of those spinning colliders.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2076 on: March 05, 2020, 08:26:15 AM »
In order to solve the phasing problem I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to reenable collisions on the spinner part colliders.  One day I hope to make a proper single compound collider out of all of them.  The tradeoff is that it will increase the physics load having all of those spinning colliders.
We never had any issues with old colliders

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2077 on: March 05, 2020, 09:51:10 AM »
I just went back and verified the torque and speed numbers for the 3" brushless and it was WAY off.  It had about 8x the amount of torque as it should have, and ran at 2x the speed.  Even though it has a 3" diameter, the motor itself is really short.  The rotors and stators are approximately 1/2 the size of the rotors and stators for an AmpFlow A28-150, so it has about 1/2 the torque.  From personal experience, the A28-150 struggles to move a 60 lb robot around the arena if it isn't geared down.  I don't imagine an ungeared motor of this size would move a 110kg heavyweight at all.

If you were planning to use a 3" brushless for drive, it will need to be significantly geared down.  Probably with about a 10:1 gear ratio.

min440303, Nuclear Crisis will need to be geared down in order to be drivable.  It doesn't move at all in its current ungeared state.

We will probably need to add some bigger brushless motors to the game.

EDIT: The next build will have the updated torque and speed numbers for the 3" brushless motor.  This is going to break a lot of robots!

Offline min440303

• Lightweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2078 on: March 05, 2020, 12:01:04 PM »
I have a little request, could we bring back the ready button for the test arena? Cuz I ehhhh, used to take pics for bots using free cam at the freezing time before starting the battle.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 12:37:18 PM by min440303 »
Mad but not mad.

Stuff I kinda done at

Offline CodeSilver23

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #2079 on: March 05, 2020, 01:01:09 PM »
I have a little request, could we bring back the ready button for the test arena? Cuz I ehhhh, used to take pics for bots using free cam at the freezing time before starting the battle.
I second this.
Accomplishments: