Poll

What do you like doing most in RA2/RA3/robot combat games?

Building robots
Local single player battles with manually-controlled robots
Local multiplayer battles  with manually-controlled robots (PvP with controllers or a shared keyboard)
AI-only tournament battles
Other?  Please comment below.

Author Topic: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development  (Read 187513 times)

Offline Sage

• Rep: 11
  • RA2 Wizard & GTM's Favorite Stock Builder 2015
  • Awards Sage's Favorite BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development
« Reply #1920 on: February 26, 2020, 12:35:16 PM »
ya but can you sload in this game

Pardon my ignorance, but what does it mean to “sload”?

Boomer ra2 term that is obsolete and not useful

bruh rude
You got my vote for RA2 Wizard. Always and forever.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1921 on: February 26, 2020, 12:44:16 PM »

bruh rude
Not false tho, is it?

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1922 on: February 26, 2020, 12:58:21 PM »

bruh rude

I am curious what it meant though.  I assume from the context that it was something people did to improve the game. 

Even though the act of "sloading" might not be relevant to RR2, it is helpful for me to understand what the original problem was that people were trying to solve.

Offline Team Lightning

• Addicted to combat robotics, good at annoying people, and wanting to get to -10000 rep XD.
  • Beetleweight
  • Rep: -4
  • Education is important, robots are importanter.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1923 on: February 26, 2020, 04:02:58 PM »

bruh rude

I am curious what it meant though.  I assume from the context that it was something people did to improve the game. 

Even though the act of "sloading" might not be relevant to RR2, it is helpful for me to understand what the original problem was that people were trying to solve.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t sloading (snapper loading?) a way to get components in weird places in ra2?

Offline min440303

• Lightweight
  • Rep: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1924 on: February 26, 2020, 08:13:02 PM »
Btw is the next update coming? There are too many small issues with the latest build which makes it inconvenient to play for several days.
Mad but not mad.

Stuff I kinda done at

Offline BATTLEMASTER

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1925 on: February 26, 2020, 09:06:18 PM »
I'm just fine with playing with the build that came before this one.  I don't make it a habit of downloading and working with the latest one each time in case something breaks.  After all, the lead dev seems to have school to focus on.

Offline UberPyro

• Lightweight
  • Rep: 6
  • Well, here goes.
  • Awards GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1926 on: February 26, 2020, 09:11:27 PM »

bruh rude

There are two parts to designing a competitive robot in RA2. One part is the actual theory and engineering that goes into designing an effective competitive robot. The other part is using highly convoluted and arcane glitches to construct said robot, allowing you to make designs that would otherwise be impossible. Snapper loading is one of those glitches.

Here's a pretty well-sited 2008 boomer video of Sage (the boomer up above) using snapper loading to place objects:

The tl;dr of this is that snapper loading (particularly snapper loading + eFFe) allows you to create robots with intersecting parts, e.g. cram lots of weapons together or have weapons going through a plow, etc. Afaik RR2 allows everything to intersect, so none of this matters and there is no problem.

Offline min440303

• Lightweight
  • Rep: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1927 on: February 27, 2020, 01:43:08 AM »
I'm just fine with playing with the build that came before this one.  I don't make it a habit of downloading and working with the latest one each time in case something breaks.  After all, the lead dev seems to have school to focus on.
Well, If you want to join in the community, make better bots and enter tournaments then you have to catch up with the latest build. And if bots should be broken, that would be just inevitable, else you can still get back to use the early version.

Also I just want to get sure if it's gotta be a moment before next build, not urging, cuz many big things may gonna happen in the game which I really look forward to.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 03:28:27 AM by min440303 »
Mad but not mad.

Stuff I kinda done at

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1928 on: February 27, 2020, 06:12:30 AM »
Sorry for the delay!  I’m trying to get one out today.

I’m not satisfied with spinner imbalancing.  It is creating a really bad teleporting wobble when you knock something off the spinner.  So far my fixes have created more problems than they have solved.  I do have one more thing to try though.

Offline Team Lightning

• Addicted to combat robotics, good at annoying people, and wanting to get to -10000 rep XD.
  • Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1929 on: February 27, 2020, 06:47:02 AM »
Sorry for the delay!  I’m trying to get one out today.

I’m not satisfied with spinner imbalancing.  It is creating a really bad teleporting wobble when you knock something off the spinner.  So far my fixes have created more problems than they have solved.  I do have one more thing to try though.
Yay! Bugfixes! (No I’m not being sarcastic)

About the AMT, any updates?

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1930 on: February 27, 2020, 06:51:45 AM »
Sorry for the delay!  I%u2019m trying to get one out today.

I%u2019m not satisfied with spinner imbalancing.  It is creating a really bad teleporting wobble when you knock something off the spinner.  So far my fixes have created more problems than they have solved.  I do have one more thing to try though.
Yay! Bugfixes! (No I%u2019m not being sarcastic)

Lets say that yall need to prepare your unity knowledge

As for the wobble, maybe the axle is the reason of teleportation?

Offline Team Lightning

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1931 on: February 27, 2020, 06:57:26 AM »

I%u2019m not satisfied with spinner imbalancing.  It is creating a really bad teleporting wobble when you knock something off the spinner.  So far my fixes have created more problems than they have solved.  I do have one more thing to try though.

Ah, crap. I have no unity knowledge. :/ Ah, well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1932 on: February 27, 2020, 06:58:12 AM »

Neither have i ;)

Offline Team Lightning

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1933 on: February 27, 2020, 06:59:25 AM »

Neither have i ;)
I can’t wait!!!!!!

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1934 on: February 27, 2020, 07:00:34 AM »

There are two parts to designing a competitive robot in RA2. One part is the actual theory and engineering that goes into designing an effective competitive robot. The other part is using highly convoluted and arcane glitches to construct said robot, allowing you to make designs that would otherwise be impossible. Snapper loading is one of those glitches.

Here's a pretty well-sited 2008 boomer video of Sage (the boomer up above) using snapper loading to place objects:

The tl;dr of this is that snapper loading (particularly snapper loading + eFFe) allows you to create robots with intersecting parts, e.g. cram lots of weapons together or have weapons going through a plow, etc. Afaik RR2 allows everything to intersect, so none of this matters and there is no problem.

Thank you for this!

Just for the record, we do intend to start creating restrictions on part placement at some point.  For example, you shouldn’t be able to place a motor inside another motor.

The sloading question was actually a great question at its core.  Although the word “sloading” is specific to RA2, I foresee a similar issue arising with RR2.  It all comes down to how we handle it though.  Maybe an option in settings to allow components to intersect that is off by default?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 09:15:17 AM by cjbruce »

Offline Team Lightning

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1935 on: February 27, 2020, 07:02:07 AM »

Thank you for this!

Just for the record, we do intend to start creating restrictions on part placement at some point.  For example, you shouldn’t be able to place a motor inside another motor.

The sloading question was actually a great question at its core.  No “sloading” is specific to RA2, but I foresee a similar issue arising with RR2.  It all comes down to how we handle it though.  Maybe an option in settings to allow components to intersect that is off by default?
Good idea. Or you could leave it as it is and Have a setting that highlights intersections

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1936 on: February 27, 2020, 07:02:30 AM »
The AMT won’t take a whole lot of Unity knowledge.  You should be able to handle it if you are comfortable in any 3D modeling tool like Blender.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1937 on: February 27, 2020, 07:55:48 AM »
The AMT won’t take a whole lot of Unity knowledge.  You should be able to handle it if you are comfortable in any 3D modeling tool like Blender.
No chris thats false, the animations are pita, i can PM you the hell

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1938 on: February 27, 2020, 07:58:26 AM »

Sorry about that!

I stand corrected.  I haven’t tried it myself.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1939 on: February 27, 2020, 07:59:47 AM »
The AMT won%u2019t take a whole lot of Unity knowledge.  You should be able to handle it if you are comfortable in any 3D modeling tool like Blender.

Sorry about that!

I stand corrected.  I haven%u2019t tried it myself.

I honestly dont know how you managed to do animations for test arena as mine, animations just straight reset after a second
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 09:17:59 AM by kix »