Poll

What do you like doing most in RA2/RA3/robot combat games?

Building robots
Local single player battles with manually-controlled robots
Local multiplayer battles  with manually-controlled robots (PvP with controllers or a shared keyboard)
AI-only tournament battles
Other?  Please comment below.

Author Topic: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development  (Read 187623 times)

Offline CyarSkirata

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development
« Reply #1880 on: February 22, 2020, 12:33:33 AM »
PS, Cyar, I’m tracking down the improper spinner breakage bugs in Circumvolution.  I think I have fixed them all.  Now that they are fixed a new problem has arisen.  When three out of the four quarters break off the weapon becomes so unbalanced that it teleports all over the arena.  I have a few potential fixes in.  We’ll see.

Hmm. Hopefully something does work.
Stuff I Done Competed In:

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1881 on: February 22, 2020, 01:04:30 PM »
PS, Cyar, I’m tracking down the improper spinner breakage bugs in Circumvolution.  I think I have fixed them all.  Now that they are fixed a new problem has arisen.  When three out of the four quarters break off the weapon becomes so unbalanced that it teleports all over the arena.  I have a few potential fixes in.  We’ll see.

Got it:

1. Bug Fix - I think I found and fixed all of the cases where a component breaks off but doesn't taken all of its children with it.
2. Bug Fix - When a spinner becomes so unbalanced that its remaining bits teleport all over the arena, those pieces now break off instead.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1882 on: February 22, 2020, 01:57:45 PM »

Got it:

1. Bug Fix - I think I found and fixed all of the cases where a component breaks off but doesn't taken all of its children with it.
2. Bug Fix - When a spinner becomes so unbalanced that its remaining bits teleport all over the arena, those pieces now break off instead.
Wait so discs will now get unbalanced when they lose parts?

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1883 on: February 22, 2020, 02:04:04 PM »
Yes.  I need to check the notes, but spinners becoming unbalanced has been a thing for a few builds.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1884 on: February 22, 2020, 06:17:54 PM »
Working on spinner vs spinner damage now.  A high part count spinner like Circumvolution has the advantage against a single spinning bar.  More stuff to break off =more survivable.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1885 on: February 23, 2020, 10:56:47 AM »
Ok so i did some testing

so the bots can spin up to 346mph then the bot lifts off like a plane and the disc gets bent

Underneath, this bot can technically reach 450mph, however the game just does its thing

Might test damage at higher/lower speeds to see if damage is dynamically calculated, because i fear it may not be the case

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1886 on: February 23, 2020, 01:07:39 PM »
Ok so i did some testing

so the bots can spin up to 346mph then the bot lifts off like a plane and the disc gets bent

Underneath, this bot can technically reach 450mph, however the game just does its thing

Might test damage at higher/lower speeds to see if damage is dynamically calculated, because i fear it may not be the case

In the existing build the maximum damage that can occur is 34% of a particular part’s health.  This eliminates one-hit kills.  For the next build I would like to set the maximum to 100% of the part health, but damage not propagated to the parent.  This way you can always knock off just the one part and whatever is attached to it.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1887 on: February 23, 2020, 01:38:11 PM »
Ok so i did some testing

In the existing build the maximum damage that can occur is 34% of a particular part%u2019s health.  This eliminates one-hit kills.  For the next build I would like to set the maximum to 100% of the part health, but damage not propagated to the parent.  This way you can always knock off just the one part and whatever is attached to it.
ey
The thing i notice is that small weak hits do knock out parts that are pretty tough, also weapons seem to fall out relativley easy

Edit: One more thing i notice is that the motors are boosted if on a hinge or another motor/pneumatic burst/linac. Basically they spin up faster

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1888 on: February 23, 2020, 01:49:17 PM »
Ok so i did some testing

In the existing build the maximum damage that can occur is 34% of a particular part%u2019s health.  This eliminates one-hit kills.  For the next build I would like to set the maximum to 100% of the part health, but damage not propagated to the parent.  This way you can always knock off just the one part and whatever is attached to it.
ey
The thing i notice is that small weak hits do knock out parts that are pretty tough, also weapons seem to fall out relativley easy

Edit: One more thing i notice is that the motors are boosted if on a hinge or another motor/pneumatic burst/linac. Basically they spin up faster

I need to get rid of the existing impulse damage code.  I haven’t done that yet.  Pretty much all of the damage that is occurring is impulse based.  A few posts back I wrote some numbers down which quantifies this.  Spinners should be the main damage source.  They operate based on kinetic energy rather than impulse.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1889 on: February 23, 2020, 01:53:06 PM »
Ok so i did some testing

ey

I need to get rid of the existing impulse damage code.  I haven’t done that yet.  Pretty much all of the damage that is occurring is impulse based.  A few posts back I wrote some numbers down which quantifies this.  Spinners should be the main damage source.  They operate based on kinetic energy rather than impulse.

Ok so an issue like this wont exist no more

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1890 on: February 23, 2020, 03:18:19 PM »
Parts can still break off.  This includes the spinner itself.

My plan for spinners is that upon a hit, both the spinner and the target take damage.

If the target is invulnerable, then all of the damage goes to the spinner.

Otherwise, damage will be distributed based on the current health of the spinner and the target.  If the spinner has more health than the target, then the target will take a larger fraction of the energy as damage.  The opposite is also true.  If the spinner has very little health, it will take most of the damage and will very likely break off.

Here's what I have:

float selfRatio = target.health / (selfDO.health + target.health);
                float targetRatio = selfDO.health / (selfDO.health + target.health);
                float selfActualDamage = selfDO.takeDamage(damage * selfRatio);
                float targetActualDamage = target.takeDamage(damage * targetRatio);

Offline Sage

• RA2 Wizard & GTM's Favorite Stock Builder 2015
  • Awards Sage's Favorite BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1891 on: February 24, 2020, 06:13:11 AM »
ya but can you sload in this game
You got my vote for RA2 Wizard. Always and forever.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1892 on: February 24, 2020, 09:10:40 AM »

Pardon my ignorance, but what does it mean to “sload”?

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1893 on: February 24, 2020, 10:03:52 AM »

Pardon my ignorance, but what does it mean to “sload”?

Boomer ra2 term that is obsolete and not useful

Oh yeah, how will axes do damage?

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1894 on: February 24, 2020, 10:55:10 AM »
I haven't gotten there yet, but I'm thinking axe damage might have to be based on impulse.  Axes have maybe 1% of the KE of a spinner.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1895 on: February 24, 2020, 11:13:55 AM »
I haven't gotten there yet, but I'm thinking axe damage might have to be based on impulse.  Axes have maybe 1% of the KE of a spinner.
Yeah well considering that axes mostly do internal damage and mostly dent armor in, maybe that could be taken into consideration?

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1896 on: February 24, 2020, 12:49:43 PM »

My plan for spinners is that upon a hit, both the spinner and the target take damage.

Otherwise, damage will be distributed based on the current health of the spinner and the target.  If the spinner has more health than the target, then the target will take a larger fraction of the energy as damage.  The opposite is also true.  If the spinner has very little health, it will take most of the damage and will very likely break off.

Here's what I have:

In practice the above damage model is pretty terrible.  A big heavy spinner will absolutely dominate a spinner made out of smaller pieces without taking any damage itself. 

My Tombclone is just mercilessly destroying Circumvolution.  I don't like that.  I want to reward people for building beautiful creations that work well, not the big dumb box with ton o' health.

Back to the drawing board...

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1897 on: February 24, 2020, 01:42:50 PM »

Here's what I have:

In practice the above damage model is pretty terrible.  A big heavy spinner will absolutely dominate a spinner made out of smaller pieces without taking any damage itself. 

My Tombclone is just mercilessly destroying Circumvolution.  I don't like that.  I want to reward people for building beautiful creations that work well, not the big dumb box with ton o' health.

Back to the drawing board...
An option to turn the multi part spinner into a single part spinner? Keep the collision. Also circumvolution is only a 16kg spinner, and at that size its... Not really supposed to be durable

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1898 on: February 24, 2020, 06:45:05 PM »
I’m getting happy with spinner vs spinner damage now.  Circumvolution wins unless Tombclone takes off its wheels.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1899 on: February 24, 2020, 07:09:38 PM »
As much as i feel happy about it. I wonder, what are the differences between the weapons weight/kj/inertia/speed wise