Poll

What do you like doing most in RA2/RA3/robot combat games?

Building robots
Local single player battles with manually-controlled robots
Local multiplayer battles  with manually-controlled robots (PvP with controllers or a shared keyboard)
AI-only tournament battles
Other?  Please comment below.

Author Topic: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development  (Read 187377 times)

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development
« Reply #1860 on: February 18, 2020, 05:18:29 AM »
Still some fine-tuning issues for the coding guys to sort out but the A40-300 motor should be back to working as intended for the next build.
Will the brushless motor be fixed for the next build?

What's wrong with it?

Attachment points are supper finnicky, there is one precise pixel where you can attach a part on it. I already posted a vid of me struggling to attach stuff

In other news, the hollow cylinders have the normal cylinder mesh which i understand because unity, however there is one other thing that semi broken

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1861 on: February 18, 2020, 07:43:12 AM »
Okay, so... I've just tried the feb16 build, and Circumvolution's gotten catastrophically worse for reasons I can't figure out. The entire robot disintegrates at the slightest provocation, and the weapon is simply incapable of damaging anything more than exposed wheels during its brief existence. If anything, the shrapnel is probably more dangerous than the robot itself.

No worries!  This should be pretty easily balance-able.

I even built a completely new robot to the same concept with fewer parts (such as using a hollow cylinder for the flywheel) and that one's even worse. I've seen its wheels break seemingly just from the weight of the robot pressing down on them, and the flywheel consistently just comes clean off after it scores one or occasionally two of its pathetic hits.

:vista:

The only damage that should exist in the game right now is due to spinner hits.  A robot pressing down on its wheels shouldn't do any damage.  Do you think its weapon is damaging its own wheels?

Also, just curious, but what damage slider setting are you using?

Offline CyarSkirata

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1862 on: February 18, 2020, 07:50:49 AM »
I even built a completely new robot to the same concept with fewer parts (such as using a hollow cylinder for the flywheel) and that one's even worse. I've seen its wheels break seemingly just from the weight of the robot pressing down on them, and the flywheel consistently just comes clean off after it scores one or occasionally two of its pathetic hits.

:vista:

The only damage that should exist in the game right now is due to spinner hits.  A robot pressing down on its wheels shouldn't do any damage.  Do you think its weapon is damaging its own wheels?

Also, just curious, but what damage slider setting are you using?

The first tests were on 25. I then turned it up to 100 in the hope that maybe the opposing bots would start taking damage - since Circumvolution and its new sibling would struggle to get much more fragile - but nothing seemed to actually change.
Stuff I Done Competed In:

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1863 on: February 18, 2020, 08:26:27 AM »
One thing i have noticed is that rammers actually cause damage, Oh and that the self damage is still present, you see the disc will hit the floor and fall off, realistically, the chain "might fall off", in this case its the disc

Offline min440303

• Lightweight
  • Rep: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1864 on: February 18, 2020, 09:32:59 AM »
Here's a small issue, I cannot copy my custom shapes
Mad but not mad.

Stuff I kinda done at

Offline WhamettNuht

• Rep: 12
  • Robot Building Drag Queen
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: WhamettNuht #1457
« Reply #1865 on: February 18, 2020, 03:16:37 PM »
I just uploaded an update to the game which fixes the brushless motor's attachment points being too small. They'll now be easier to attach to.
I also fixed an issue with the A40-300 motor's axle having a slight wobble due to the AP being slightly off.
Should be up in the next build :)
Damn I should probably put something fancy in this bit huh?

Offline CyarSkirata

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1866 on: February 18, 2020, 06:01:13 PM »
I just thought of a theory regarding one of the issues I've been seeing with flywheels.

Perhaps damage is now being calculated based on the size or weight of the individual part that scores the hit? That would explain why I see bars doing just fine but all the flywheels I have do basically nothing, since said flywheels all have their teeth attached as separate components rather than included as part of the main body of the weapon.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1867 on: February 18, 2020, 06:37:14 PM »
I just thought of a theory regarding one of the issues I've been seeing with flywheels.

Perhaps damage is now being calculated based on the size or weight of the individual part that scores the hit? That would explain why I see bars doing just fine but all the flywheels I have do basically nothing, since said flywheels all have their teeth attached as separate components rather than included as part of the main body of the weapon.

When I get some time tomorrow I will show you a list of the damage that happens in combat with Circumvolution.

Again, all of this is in flux.  I’m pretty happy with the mechanics of spinner damage.  We just need to work on the numbers now.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1868 on: February 19, 2020, 08:41:23 AM »
I finally sat down to take a look to see what kinds of damage numbers are coming out of two Circumvolutions fighting each other.  Here's what I have happening over the span of 1.4 seconds of combat:

SPINNER HIT AGAINST ENEMY
1 hit
206 damage due to kinetic energy (in Joules)

SPINNER HIT FLOOR CAUSING SELF DAMAGE
1 hit
127 damage due to kinetic energy (in Joules)

PUNCTURE DAMAGE AGAINST ENEMY
64 hits
2953 damage due to impulse (in Newton-seconds)

The damage is overwhelmingly being cause not by the spinner collider (spinner hits), but by the individual teeth overlapping the other robot's colliders at low speeds (puncture damage).  This is not even close to what we want.  Puncture damage should only occur if the force is high enough to exceed the shear strength of the material.  The puncture damage system needs to be updated.  It should be a relatively easy fix.

Offline WhamettNuht

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1869 on: February 19, 2020, 08:47:43 AM »
The puncture damage system needs to be updated.  It should be a relatively easy fix.

Does this mean you want me to come up with some spikes + crusher components aswell? ;)

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1870 on: February 19, 2020, 09:08:19 AM »
The puncture damage system needs to be updated.  It should be a relatively easy fix.

Does this mean you want me to come up with some spikes + crusher components aswell? ;)

I think so.  I don’t like the fact that any old shape can cause puncture damage.  I think it leads to the situation that Cyar has been pointing out where the robots fall apart but there is no clear reason why. 

Just like spinner hits very clearly cause spinner damage, hardened tips should be the only things causing puncture damage.

Offline WhamettNuht

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1871 on: February 19, 2020, 09:25:19 AM »

I think so.  I don’t like the fact that any old shape can cause puncture damage.  I think it leads to the situation that Cyar has been pointing out where the robots fall apart but there is no clear reason why. 

Just like spinner hits very clearly cause spinner damage, hardened tips should be the only things causing puncture damage.

Lets start a new email chain on this. I've had some ideas already haha!

Offline Witherana

• The Man
  • Antweight
  • Hm, what am i doing here
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1872 on: February 19, 2020, 11:22:38 AM »
hey i wanna ask, how do ya acces the arena builder or is it still locked away?
Been doing this for 8 years...

Offline CodeSilver23

• RR2 Enthusiast and Design Innovator
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -2
  • Stars v Legends founder, Inventor of the Wheel-fix
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: CodeSilverGaming
« Reply #1873 on: February 19, 2020, 04:49:43 PM »
hey i wanna ask, how do ya acces the arena builder or is it still locked away?
Atm it is currently unavailable.
Accomplishments:

Offline BATTLEMASTER

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1874 on: February 19, 2020, 06:37:50 PM »
Atm it is currently unavailable.

Probably a good thing until stuff is finalized.  I can only imagine the tears if something changes and it invalidates a bunch of arenas!

There's two sides to the robot compatibility thing.  One, this game is in an alpha state, so changes where robots can be made incompatible between versions are to be expected.  There's no denying that.

The other side is that people think that the game is far enough along to even build so many bots to mess with!  I think that says a lot about the progress with the alpha alone  :beer:

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1875 on: February 20, 2020, 03:34:21 PM »
OK so...

Using a 3 inch brushless

Offline WhamettNuht

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1876 on: February 21, 2020, 03:46:37 AM »
OK so...

Using a 3 inch brushless

You mean that's not right? :P

Lol, I'll take a look later on.

Offline CyarSkirata

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1877 on: February 21, 2020, 05:21:19 AM »
I've been thinking of composing some music loops for the game now that I have a bit of extra storage space for Cubase projects. Is there anything in particular you'd like?

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1878 on: February 21, 2020, 09:24:17 AM »
I've been thinking of composing some music loops for the game now that I have a bit of extra storage space for Cubase projects. Is there anything in particular you'd like?

Thank you for the offer!  Let me think about this a bit.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1879 on: February 21, 2020, 09:53:46 AM »
PS, Cyar, I’m tracking down the improper spinner breakage bugs in Circumvolution.  I think I have fixed them all.  Now that they are fixed a new problem has arisen.  When three out of the four quarters break off the weapon becomes so unbalanced that it teleports all over the arena.  I have a few potential fixes in.  We’ll see.