Poll

What do you like doing most in RA2/RA3/robot combat games?

Building robots
Local single player battles with manually-controlled robots
Local multiplayer battles  with manually-controlled robots (PvP with controllers or a shared keyboard)
AI-only tournament battles
Other?  Please comment below.

Author Topic: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development  (Read 187768 times)

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Rep: 10
  • -rep TheRoboteer. "queermint"
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Hoppin#0013
Re: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development
« Reply #1720 on: February 06, 2020, 05:24:41 PM »
BRUSHLESS BABY

Still need to figure out the game mechanics for brushless motors!

I’m thinking:

1. They need more gear reduction.
2. They have very poor starting torque.  I just got some numbers on this versus AmpFlow, so we should be set on this.
3. They tend to break more easily (lower health).
Fact: Magnetar from RW used brushless motors for drive and weapon

**** off Kix
Things I did & done

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1721 on: February 06, 2020, 05:29:24 PM »
BRUSHLESS BABY

Still need to figure out the game mechanics for brushless motors!

I’m thinking:

1. They need more gear reduction.
2. They have very poor starting torque.  I just got some numbers on this versus AmpFlow, so we should be set on this.
3. They tend to break more easily (lower health).
Fact: Magnetar from RW used brushless motors for drive and weapon

**** off Kix
Im here fighting for the brushless **** off

Offline BATTLEMASTER

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1722 on: February 06, 2020, 06:09:23 PM »
I'm just wondering about why brushless motors would be deemed to break more easily.  For an example, some diesel locomotives use brushless traction motors with one of the benefits being that you don't have to maintain the brushes, so I thought they'd actually be tougher by getting rid of a weakpoint in the works.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1723 on: February 06, 2020, 07:01:59 PM »
There isn’t that much data on heavyweight brushless motors in comparison to brushed motors.

Loads in a diesel engine are about as different from robot combat as you can get.  I used to work on diesel and other powerplant and propulsion systems.  We had absolutely massive motors and generators.  The systems were designed to operate over decades of use.  Robot combat motors have to last for a few hundred seconds.  They are much smaller are must be able to handle crazy accelerations.

Most heavyweights use brushed motors.  There are reasons for that.  I want to be very careful to not make brushless motors “godlike” and so clearly better that there is no reason to ever use a brushed motor in your design.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1724 on: February 06, 2020, 07:33:17 PM »
Having said all that, I don’t have any personal experience with brushless motors in robot combat.  I’m just guessing, and am really hoping to get a data dump from someone who has actually tried them in the larger weight classes.

Offline CyarSkirata

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1725 on: February 06, 2020, 08:30:49 PM »
Panic Attack's issues with having too much traction are fixed, and so is the srimech torque. The version with the slow un-wheelfixed weapons still struggles to steer, but the fast version is back in business. :)

Sadly, no improvement in having the thwackbot be able to thwack in the arena.
Stuff I Done Competed In:

Offline CyarSkirata

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1726 on: February 06, 2020, 09:05:08 PM »
Would someone mind posting their absolutely worst case robot showing the following problem:

1. A wheel breaks off.
2. The robot tilts unnaturally.

None of the robots I have built seem to have the problem.  I have tried to replicate the issue without success, but have a few changes I would like to try.

My clusterbot has developed this bug sometime since the last time I tested it.
The wheels are pretty exposed, so I suggest putting one of them in the arena under AI control and using Circumvolution (reach, side-wedges and good bite for getting at the sides) to pull the wheels off while it tries to fight back, to test the bug under combat conditions, where the target bot is moving pretty much all the time.

Offline WhamettNuht

• Rep: 12
  • Robot Building Drag Queen
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: WhamettNuht #1457
« Reply #1727 on: February 07, 2020, 03:43:08 AM »
Having said all that, I don’t have any personal experience with brushless motors in robot combat.  I’m just guessing, and am really hoping to get a data dump from someone who has actually tried them in the larger weight classes.

I may have a contact..... Watch this space.
Damn I should probably put something fancy in this bit huh?

Offline F1Krazy

• Put me on a pedestal and I'll only disappoint you
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 4
  • Tell me I'm exceptional, I promise to exploit you
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #1728 on: February 07, 2020, 06:51:15 AM »
I'm just wondering about why brushless motors would be deemed to break more easily.

Because they do... at least, currently. As kix said, Pulsar/Magnetar exclusively used brushless components, and it was one of the most unreliable combat robots I've ever seen. It was an incredible piece of engineering, and very powerful when it worked, but being cutting-edge has its drawbacks.

If I have some spare time at the weekend, in between PWS fights, I gotta try out the latest build. Hollow cylinders in particular are a godsend, and something I've been wanting for months.
My DSL Showcase

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1729 on: February 07, 2020, 07:05:55 AM »
They could implement the overheating function, if its overused it breaks because of high temperatures

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
  • Rep: 9
  • "I HATE SEBASTIAN COE!"
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: TheRoboteer#8784
« Reply #1730 on: February 07, 2020, 07:35:31 AM »
I'm just wondering about why brushless motors would be deemed to break more easily.

Because they do... at least, currently. As kix said, Pulsar/Magnetar exclusively used brushless components, and it was one of the most unreliable combat robots I've ever seen. It was an incredible piece of engineering, and very powerful when it worked, but being cutting-edge has its drawbacks.
And if they didn't, why would you ever use the other motors the game has to offer. Brushless motors are smaller, lighter, more convenient, and pretty much as powerful as you'll ever need. Without some balancing factor there you might as well remove the other motors from the game because they'll never get used if brushlesses don't have a drawback
Notable Tournament Performances:
The Beginner's Guide to IRL:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/tutorials-and-tips/irl-a-beginner's-guide

Offline KupaTec

• Antweight
  • Rep: 6
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1731 on: February 07, 2020, 07:42:51 AM »
 Quick update on the progress of the AMT as I keep forgetting to keep you guys updated!

We have the beginnings of Active Hazard support in the ways of "Button" (Pit Release) and "Trigger" (Flipper) style hazards. These use the inbuilt Unity Animation Controller Component which opens up a lot of possibilities for the user without having to resort to complex coding. Multiple animations can be triggered (As seen with the Pit Release also modifying the lighting) at the same time and I'll also be adding in support to play sounds when triggered (so you can have an alarm when the pit is released or a violent thud with your hammer). As you can also see from the video the Countdown Timer is now working as expected.

The final step to bring the new arena system up to the same level as the old system is to get the FreeCam working and then it's just a bit of polishing work.

EDIT: I apparently don't know how to use the attachment system so have a YouTube vid instead

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1732 on: February 07, 2020, 07:44:58 AM »
I like what im seeing, arena hype i guess

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1733 on: February 07, 2020, 09:45:54 AM »
Would someone mind posting their absolutely worst case robot showing the following problem:

1. A wheel breaks off.
2. The robot tilts unnaturally.

None of the robots I have built seem to have the problem.  I have tried to replicate the issue without success, but have a few changes I would like to try.

My clusterbot has developed this bug sometime since the last time I tested it.
The wheels are pretty exposed, so I suggest putting one of them in the arena under AI control and using Circumvolution (reach, side-wedges and good bite for getting at the sides) to pull the wheels off while it tries to fight back, to test the bug under combat conditions, where the target bot is moving pretty much all the time.

[ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]  
  [ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]

I'm not seeing anything too weird here.  The COMs are in the correct location when the wheels break off and the rigidbody masses are set to 0.00001 kg like they are supposed to be.  Is it possible that the behavior that you are seeing is actually the correct result of the angular momentum of the big, fast vertical spinner?

Offline powerrave

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1734 on: February 07, 2020, 04:20:37 PM »
Just wanna say I really like the most recent version with the hollow shapes.
I figured I could finally make a ring spinner now, so instead I had the brilliant idea of putting the E-Tek big motor inside a drum as hub motor, creating this gyro-mad monster called Chaos Assembly 0.3
I've even attached the botfile for those who wanna try control this thing.

Ooo!  Fun to drive!

Nicely done!
Fun to drive he says. Lol! Glad to see it being enjoyed.

Now I can't wait for more different motors to make stuff with that probably shouldn't exist.
"Always be yourself, unless you're a loser"

Offline CyarSkirata

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1735 on: February 07, 2020, 05:13:03 PM »
I'm not seeing anything too weird here.  The COMs are in the correct location when the wheels break off and the rigidbody masses are set to 0.00001 kg like they are supposed to be.  Is it possible that the behavior that you are seeing is actually the correct result of the angular momentum of the big, fast vertical spinner?

The issue isn't with getting gyro. It's with getting something that resembles gyro, but the robot will - for example - end up with one side completely hovering while it drives back and forth in a straight line, or take a vert hit and be sent spinning through the air but only be capable of spinning on the axis of the axle that's lost its wheel.

Offline CodeSilver23

• RR2 Enthusiast and Design Innovator
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -2
  • Stars v Legends founder, Inventor of the Wheel-fix
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
    • Awards
  • Discord: CodeSilverGaming
« Reply #1736 on: February 07, 2020, 05:22:38 PM »

The issue isn't with getting gyro. It's with getting something that resembles gyro, but the robot will - for example - end up with one side completely hovering while it drives back and forth in a straight line, or take a vert hit and be sent spinning through the air but only be capable of spinning on the axis of the axle that's lost its wheel.
Yeah this issue has been happening for quite a while now. This video might be able to show you more:
Accomplishments:

Offline BATTLEMASTER

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1737 on: February 07, 2020, 06:46:57 PM »
I think I learned a little something about brushless motors.  I didn't realize that they weighed less compared to brushed motors.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1738 on: February 07, 2020, 07:00:42 PM »
This looks like a center of mass issue.  I need to track this down.

Is it possible that there is a part that is broken off and stuck inside the robot?

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1739 on: February 07, 2020, 07:02:45 PM »
I think I learned a little something about brushless motors.  I didn't realize that they weighed less compared to brushed motors.

They do.  No brushes or commutator, plus the extra length of shaft.

Robert Cowan has a nice comparison in his beetleweight drive tutorial video.  The brushless motors are about 30% less mass, and quite a bit shorter.