Poll

What do you like doing most in RA2/RA3/robot combat games?

Building robots
Local single player battles with manually-controlled robots
Local multiplayer battles  with manually-controlled robots (PvP with controllers or a shared keyboard)
AI-only tournament battles
Other?  Please comment below.

Author Topic: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development  (Read 187666 times)

Offline Arcane

• The Mildly Pretentious
  • Lightweight
  • Rep: 9
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development
« Reply #1660 on: February 03, 2020, 05:29:20 PM »
Oh and i used to use arrow keys to move tabs is a bad thing, especially for people who use arrows to change the part location numbers

I have to agree with Kix here, I frequently use the arrow keys to change part location/size/colour tint number and it’s been frustrating to have this hot-keyed to changing tabs.

Everything else added in this build is exceptional work and from what I can see so far is working as intended, I’m looking forward to putting the new shapes to use.

Offline Team Lightning

• Addicted to combat robotics, good at annoying people, and wanting to get to -10000 rep XD.
  • Beetleweight
  • Rep: -4
  • Education is important, robots are importanter.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1661 on: February 03, 2020, 05:38:13 PM »
So the gyrodancing glitch is back :/. Yay.

What do you mean when you use the words “gyro dancing glitch”? 

To me gyro dancing is the result of applying a steering input to a rapidly spinning vertical spinner. This is not a glitch.  It is something that i happens in real life.

Is it possible to post a video that clearly shows the behavior you are concerned about?  If it is truly gyro dancing, then it doesn’t need to be fixed because it is the correct behavior.  If it is something other than gyro dancing, let’s come up with a better name for the concerning effect.
The glitch I’m talking about is the one where you tear off someone’s wheel and they gyro around like they have a drum spinner even if they are weapon less.
I noticed this glitch in the 03January build: EDIT: The robot that is gyrodancing has no spinning weapons.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1662 on: February 03, 2020, 06:01:07 PM »

To me gyro dancing is the result of applying a steering input to a rapidly spinning vertical spinner. This is not a glitch.  It is something that i happens in real life.

Is it possible to post a video that clearly shows the behavior you are concerned about?  If it is truly gyro dancing, then it doesn’t need to be fixed because it is the correct behavior.  If it is something other than gyro dancing, let’s come up with a better name for the concerning effect.
The glitch I’m talking about is the one where you tear off someone’s wheel and they gyro around like they have a drum spinner even if they are weapon less.
I noticed this glitch in the 03January build: EDIT: The robot that is gyrodancing has no spinning weapons.

Ah.  Gotcha.  Maybe we can call it the “tilting glitch”?  I’ll look at it as soon as I can.  I’m pretty sure I know where the mistake is...

Offline Team Lightning

• Addicted to combat robotics, good at annoying people, and wanting to get to -10000 rep XD.
  • Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1663 on: February 03, 2020, 06:27:01 PM »

Ah.  Gotcha.  Maybe we can call it the “tilting glitch”?  I’ll look at it as soon as I can.  I’m pretty sure I know where the mistake is...
I’ll call it the spazzing glitch.

Offline Hobo Droo

• Official Veteran
  • Rep: 7
  • Former Cheater
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1664 on: February 03, 2020, 06:31:38 PM »
Rubber wheels seem to be registered as spinners again.
kevin the cube is gone in fortnite

Offline Team Lightning

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1665 on: February 03, 2020, 06:32:16 PM »
I noticed that too.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1666 on: February 03, 2020, 06:56:07 PM »

What are the symptoms you are seeing?

EDIT - This was fixed many builds ago.

EDIT #2 - Would you mind sending an .RR2Bot file that exhibits the symptoms you are seeing?

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1667 on: February 03, 2020, 06:56:53 PM »

I’ll call it the spazzing glitch.

Can you send me an .RR2Bot file?  COMs are showing up in the correct spot when I pop a wheel off my robots.

Offline Hobo Droo

• Official Veteran
  • Rep: 7
  • Former Cheater
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1668 on: February 03, 2020, 09:03:34 PM »

What are the symptoms you are seeing?

Well, any rubber wheels will show up in the telemetry as spinners, which didn't happen in previous builds.
telemetry.png
kevin the cube is gone in fortnite

Offline CyarSkirata

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1669 on: February 03, 2020, 10:39:28 PM »
Circumvolution has had an occasional problem for awhile where when a part of the flywheel breaks off, child components of that part will stay attached, hovering and still a capable part of the weapon.

Sometimes, the central axle will come off from the impacts of the teeth on an opponent (already concerning), and only take one of the flywheel sections with it.
Stuff I Done Competed In:

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1670 on: February 04, 2020, 05:10:48 AM »
Only issue is that i find NPC to be a bit too weak of a drive motor. Seems like torque might need to go up a bit
Ok so the NPC motor isnt slow as i thought, the rubber material seems to not have any grip at all

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1671 on: February 04, 2020, 05:38:32 AM »
Circumvolution has had an occasional problem for awhile where when a part of the flywheel breaks off, child components of that part will stay attached, hovering and still a capable part of the weapon.

Sometimes, the central axle will come off from the impacts of the teeth on an opponent (already concerning), and only take one of the flywheel sections with it.

This is a result of how the components are attached to each other in the tree structure.

Each component has a parent.  If a parent breaks off, all of the children also break off.  If a component's parent has not broken off, the component and all of its children remain.

In Circumvolution's case, this means that there are many many bits and pieces attached to other bits and pieces.  It is easy to lose track of which piece is parented to which when building.

I am looking to do some automatic collider reduction.  This should help reduce the problem, but won't eliminate it entirely.  Fewer colliders = things break off in larger chunks.  It would still be possible for something to break off in an unrealistic way if components were attached to components in a weird way.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1672 on: February 04, 2020, 05:56:56 AM »
Well, any rubber wheels will show up in the telemetry as spinners, which didn't happen in previous builds.
 [ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]

Would you mind sending an .RR2Bot file?

I have a hunch, but don't have a good robot to test with.

Offline CyarSkirata

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1673 on: February 04, 2020, 06:11:01 AM »

This is a result of how the components are attached to each other in the tree structure.

Each component has a parent.  If a parent breaks off, all of the children also break off.  If a component's parent has not broken off, the component and all of its children remain.

In Circumvolution's case, this means that there are many many bits and pieces attached to other bits and pieces.  It is easy to lose track of which piece is parented to which when building.

I am looking to do some automatic collider reduction.  This should help reduce the problem, but won't eliminate it entirely.  Fewer colliders = things break off in larger chunks.  It would still be possible for something to break off in an unrealistic way if components were attached to components in a weird way.

I didn't lose track of it though. :/
When I reworked it to add the beefed up axle, I even re-attached *everything* to the axle.

Also, on that note, it's impossible to break off the decorative parts of Panic Attack's srimech.
As in: when the main plate of the srimech breaks off, everything decorative stays attached.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1674 on: February 04, 2020, 06:28:56 AM »

...the rubber material seems to not have any grip at all

...more evidence to my hunch.  I assume you are creating custom wheels...

By any chance did you send a copy of the .RR2Bot file for the affected robot(s)?

Wheels should not get Blur Cylinders or Spinner Mass Reducers.  If a wheel has them, the spinning wheel's behavior (driving a robot) will be replaced by spinning weapon behavior (launching things around on impact). 

The game's current definition of when to add the spinner mass reducer and blur cylinder is pretty convoluted.  A "Blur Cylinder" (a cylindrical weapon collider) and a "Spinner Mass Reducer" (a bit of logic that reduces the mass of a spinner so it doesn't go nuts at high RPM) are added to anything attached to a motor, unless any of the following are true.

• if (comps.Length > 0 && comps[0].comp_type == CompType.Wheel) addWeaponBlurCylinderAndSpinnerMassReducer = false; // Do not add to wheels.
  • //if (comps.Length > 0 && comps[0].armorMaterial.name == "Rubber") addWeaponBlurCylinderAndSpinnerMassReducer = false; // Do not add to rubber things.
  • if (hinge.useLimits == true) addWeaponBlurCylinderAndSpinnerMassReducer = false; // Do not add to hinges with limits.
  • if (hinge.useSpring == true) addWeaponBlurCylinderAndSpinnerMassReducer = false; // Do not add to hinges with limits.
  • if ((int)hinge.limits.min != 0) addWeaponBlurCylinderAndSpinnerMassReducer = false; // Do not add to hinges with limits.
  • if ((int)hinge.limits.max != 0) addWeaponBlurCylinderAndSpinnerMassReducer = false; // Do not add to hinges with limits.

I think I need to redefine "wheel" as anything that is attached to a motor assigned to "Left Drive" or "Right Drive".  I think this will be much more clear than the system I am using above.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1675 on: February 04, 2020, 07:29:38 AM »

When I reworked it to add the beefed up axle, I even re-attached *everything* to the axle.

Also, on that note, it's impossible to break off the decorative parts of Panic Attack's srimech.
As in: when the main plate of the srimech breaks off, everything decorative stays attached.

Gotcha.  The problem is that an axle is not currently defined as its own component.  It doesn’t have health, at least not by itself.  It can’t be hit or take damage. Rather, it is part of a motor.  In order to break things off of the axle, they must have their own collider.  Since the collider is removed from anything marked as decorative, the decorative pieces attached directly to the axle won’t come off until the motor itself is destroyed.

Need to think about this...

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1676 on: February 04, 2020, 08:59:56 AM »

By any chance did you send a copy of the .RR2Bot file for the affected robot(s)?

Wheels should not get Blur Cylinders or Spinner Mass Reducers.  If a wheel has them, the spinning wheel's behavior (driving a robot) will be replaced by spinning weapon behavior (launching things around on impact). 

The game's current definition of when to add the spinner mass reducer and blur cylinder is pretty convoluted.  A "Blur Cylinder" (a cylindrical weapon collider) and a "Spinner Mass Reducer" (a bit of logic that reduces the mass of a spinner so it doesn't go nuts at high RPM) are added to anything attached to a motor, unless any of the following are true.

• if (comps.Length > 0 && comps[0].comp_type == CompType.Wheel) addWeaponBlurCylinderAndSpinnerMassReducer = false; // Do not add to wheels.
  • //if (comps.Length > 0 && comps[0].armorMaterial.name == "Rubber") addWeaponBlurCylinderAndSpinnerMassReducer = false; // Do not add to rubber things.
  • if (hinge.useLimits == true) addWeaponBlurCylinderAndSpinnerMassReducer = false; // Do not add to hinges with limits.
  • if (hinge.useSpring == true) addWeaponBlurCylinderAndSpinnerMassReducer = false; // Do not add to hinges with limits.
  • if ((int)hinge.limits.min != 0) addWeaponBlurCylinderAndSpinnerMassReducer = false; // Do not add to hinges with limits.
  • if ((int)hinge.limits.max != 0) addWeaponBlurCylinderAndSpinnerMassReducer = false; // Do not add to hinges with limits.

I think I need to redefine "wheel" as anything that is attached to a motor assigned to "Left Drive" or "Right Drive".  I think this will be much more clear than the system I am using above.
Ive done a multi piece wheel, placed a rim, then a hollow part that is rubber

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1677 on: February 04, 2020, 03:39:05 PM »

Ive done a multi piece wheel, placed a rim, then a hollow part that is rubber

Fixed.  Blur cylinders and spinner mass reducers are no longer added if the assembly is driven by a left or right drive motor.

I'll upload it soon. 

Now I need to take a crack at the issue CyarSkirata brought up: When you attach decorative materials directly to an axle, the materials don't have a collider and therefore can't be broken off.  Maybe if you attach decorative materials directly to an axle, they break off immediately as soon as you spawn the robot?  Would that be weird?

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1678 on: February 04, 2020, 04:02:21 PM »
Now I need to take a crack at the issue CyarSkirata brought up: When you attach decorative materials directly to an axle, the materials don't have a collider and therefore can't be broken off.  Maybe if you attach decorative materials directly to an axle, they break off immediately as soon as you spawn the robot?  Would that be weird?
I think that the component tree is not good. IIRC a main part of the wedge on my bot has fallen off, however smaller parts that were attached to it stay on. The materials weren't decorative on then

Offline CyarSkirata

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1679 on: February 04, 2020, 05:41:02 PM »

Gotcha.  The problem is that an axle is not currently defined as its own component.  It doesn’t have health, at least not by itself.  It can’t be hit or take damage. Rather, it is part of a motor.  In order to break things off of the axle, they must have their own collider.  Since the collider is removed from anything marked as decorative, the decorative pieces attached directly to the axle won’t come off until the motor itself is destroyed.

Need to think about this...

Oh. When I said axle, that's not what I meant. I meant that I added a beefed up steel cylinder to the spinner, and made every other section of the weapon be child parts to that.

It's entirely possible for that cylinder - the parent part to the entire weapon - to come off from the teeth hitting opponents. On top of that, when that parent part does come off, it very rarely takes its child parts with it.

As for Panic Attack:
The srimech has three aluminium components attached to the main slab. Each of those parts has decorative parts attached to it.
When those break off, the decorative parts attached to them go with them. When the main slab breaks off, the decorative parts attached to it don't go with it. They remain attached to the gearbox.
The skirts also take their decorative parts with them when they break off.

Having talked about the issues with the two bots together, I do now have a theory. Perhaps the fault lies specifically in the components that are attached directly to the axle? Since that's the case both for the main plate of Panic Attack's srimech, and the cylinder in Circumvolution's weapon.