Poll

What do you like doing most in RA2/RA3/robot combat games?

Building robots
Local single player battles with manually-controlled robots
Local multiplayer battles  with manually-controlled robots (PvP with controllers or a shared keyboard)
AI-only tournament battles
Other?  Please comment below.

Author Topic: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development  (Read 187785 times)

Offline Team Lightning

• Addicted to combat robotics, good at annoying people, and wanting to get to -10000 rep XD.
  • Beetleweight
  • Rep: -4
  • Education is important, robots are importanter.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development
« Reply #1580 on: January 27, 2020, 05:25:45 PM »
What's weird is the gyrodancing glitch with the wheels only occurs on direct attachments.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1581 on: January 28, 2020, 06:19:22 AM »
I think I finally found and have a fix for the center of mass issues!

I'm planning to upload a bleeding edge build today.  This one will include a COMTracker that will show the local of the center of mass of all rigid bodies.

You guys are going to love the COMTrackers.  They are an obnoxious magenta. :)

Team Lightning, I concur with the direct attachments issue.  With this new build, the COM should be recomputed correctly immediately after the robot spawns, and whenever parts fall off.  You should be able to see if the COM is in the wrong spot right away.

Offline Wambo

• Beetleweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1582 on: January 28, 2020, 07:46:44 AM »
Sounds like a great addition to the game!

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1583 on: January 28, 2020, 09:32:09 AM »
The new 28January2020 Bleeding Edge Test Build is out:

http://www.robot-rumble.com/bleedingedgebuilds/

This build is designed to help solve the problems we are having with driving and other physics weirdness like robots spontaneously deciding to lean over on their side for no apparent reason.  The root cause has been an improperly computed location of the center of mass, particularly for wheels that are attached directly to motors.  This problem has made beetleweights completely impossible.  Beetleweights appear to be driving correctly now.

For this bleeding edge build I have included COMTrackers that visualize the location of the center of mass of each rigidbody.  Any time you add a motor and attach something to it, you are adding an additional rigidbody.

Please give it a try and let me know if you are still seeing issues.

[Added] Added COMTracker.cs to track the location of all the centers of mass of every rigidbody on a robot.

[Added] Added COM_Controller.cs. This script should correctly compute the COM of a rigidbody based on the center of mass of each of its Component_Info components. This can be done repeatedly at runtime. I still need to do extensive testing to make sure the script works in all cases. If it does, then it should be possible to apply the script to things that have lost parts due to damage, as well as broken pieces lying around the arena.

[Added] Added COM_Controller to rigidbodies spawns when a component breaks off.

[Added] COM_Controller.recomputeCOM() is now called on the original rigidbody when a component breaks off.

[Added] Added more hotkeys (now hotkeys can be shift/ctrl + key): -close pause menu, hotkey screen and help screen with the same keys for opening those screens. -Toggle workbench with B key. -Toggle music with N key. -Cycle through music tracks with ctrl + N. -Confirm on popups is enter, cancel in popups is backspace or escape. -You can move through the botlab sections using the right and left Arrow.

[Removed] Removed the makeup mass code from SpinnerMassReducer. By using the COMTracker spheres, I noticed that the center of mass was not in the right location, and could completely throw off the balance of a robot.

[Changed] Set the axle mass of various motors to 0.000001 kg: AmpFlow A40-300 37 mm Geared 37 mm Ungeared 22 mm Geared

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1584 on: January 28, 2020, 09:49:42 AM »
The new 28January2020 Bleeding Edge Test Build is out:

http://www.robot-rumble.com/bleedingedgebuilds/

This build is designed to help solve the problems we are having with driving and other physics weirdness like robots spontaneously deciding to lean over on their side for no apparent reason.  The root cause has been an improperly computed location of the center of mass, particularly for wheels that are attached directly to motors.  This problem has made beetleweights completely impossible.  Beetleweights appear to be driving correctly now.

For this bleeding edge build I have included COMTrackers that visualize the location of the center of mass of each rigidbody.  Any time you add a motor and attach something to it, you are adding an additional rigidbody.

Please give it a try and let me know if you are still seeing issues.

[Added] Added COMTracker.cs to track the location of all the centers of mass of every rigidbody on a robot.

[Added] Added COM_Controller.cs. This script should correctly compute the COM of a rigidbody based on the center of mass of each of its Component_Info components. This can be done repeatedly at runtime. I still need to do extensive testing to make sure the script works in all cases. If it does, then it should be possible to apply the script to things that have lost parts due to damage, as well as broken pieces lying around the arena.

[Added] Added COM_Controller to rigidbodies spawns when a component breaks off.

[Added] COM_Controller.recomputeCOM() is now called on the original rigidbody when a component breaks off.

[Added] Added more hotkeys (now hotkeys can be shift/ctrl + key): -close pause menu, hotkey screen and help screen with the same keys for opening those screens. -Toggle workbench with B key. -Toggle music with N key. -Cycle through music tracks with ctrl + N. -Confirm on popups is enter, cancel in popups is backspace or escape. -You can move through the botlab sections using the right and left Arrow.

[Removed] Removed the makeup mass code from SpinnerMassReducer. By using the COMTracker spheres, I noticed that the center of mass was not in the right location, and could completely throw off the balance of a robot.

[Changed] Set the axle mass of various motors to 0.000001 kg: AmpFlow A40-300 37 mm Geared 37 mm Ungeared 22 mm Geared

There is no windows build download link

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1585 on: January 28, 2020, 09:55:28 AM »
Sorry about that! 

RR2-Windows-28January2020-BleedingEdgeTestBuild.zip is up now.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1586 on: January 28, 2020, 11:12:49 AM »
Ok so a quick test, and i can tell that driving didnt really improve. 420-500 tick is still way to go without jitter

One thing i did notice is that there is no more weird oscillation where the bot feels like its too light and has next to no gravity, which is a good thing

Offline CodeSilver23

• RR2 Enthusiast and Design Innovator
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -2
  • Stars v Legends founder, Inventor of the Wheel-fix
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: CodeSilverGaming
« Reply #1587 on: January 28, 2020, 12:48:48 PM »
Imma just post these pics here as I saw this on Twitter:

EPXtH89WoAA-rJz.jpg

EPXtHP1XkAUtuzR.jpg
Accomplishments:

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1588 on: January 28, 2020, 01:41:21 PM »
Ok so a quick test, and i can tell that driving didnt really improve. 420-500 tick is still way to go without jitter

One thing i did notice is that there is no more weird oscillation where the bot feels like its too light and has next to no gravity, which is a good thing

For most heavyweight robots there shouldn't be too much difference.

The bad COM calculation only caused the following problems that I am aware of:

1. All robots with wheels attached directly to motors (rather than through a gearbox) had COMs that were farther out along the axis.  This was pretty much unnoticeable for heavyweights, but crippling for beetleweights.  1.5 kg Beetleweights couldn't steer at all, and often had wheels floating above the ground.  30 kg robots were still drivable, but they suffered from severe steering problems.

2. When parts broke off, there was no change to COM of the remaining robot.

3. When parts broke off, they would sometimes have a weird COM that caused them to suspend awkwardly in the air.

Under the new build, please check to see that the COM of your rigidbodies are always inside the robot.  You shouldn't see much, if any, magenta on your robot.  If you see a big magenta line then I did something wrong and need to take a look.  Please send me the .RR2Bot file.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1589 on: January 28, 2020, 01:42:05 PM »
Imma just post these pics here as I saw this on Twitter:

More to come on this soon!  :claping

Offline WhamettNuht

• Rep: 12
  • Robot Building Drag Queen
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: WhamettNuht #1457
« Reply #1590 on: January 28, 2020, 02:09:21 PM »
Hey guys!

Sorry for being quiet but I have been INCREDIBLY busy working on the game as the new creative director for the game!  :cool:

As posted on Twitter, there are some new arenas coming to the game soon:

The School Tournament Arena

bandicam 2020-01-27 21-41-59-180.jpg

bandicam 2020-01-27 21-42-13-644.jpg

A request from cjbruce, this arena is a replica of the real life arena his students fight their robots in! Perfect for the lighter weights.

Parking Lot

bandicam 2020-01-27 21-44-51-839.jpg

bandicam 2020-01-27 21-45-03-404.jpg

"Amateur bot builders from here and the surrounding areas meet regularly to pit their machines against each other in this improvised cage-arena. But be warned - the lack of security cameras means there's no holds barred!"
Hazards include four shredding spinners and a barrier of tires to pin your opponent up on.

The Twisted Circus

bandicam 2020-01-27 21-43-11-033.jpg

bandicam 2020-01-27 21-43-30-778.jpg

"This arena is the ultimate test of your driving skills! As part of their show interlude, this circus hosts Robot Builders to provide some destructive entertainment for their audience. Just make sure you've taken your motion sickness tablets!"

No damaging hazards, although your driving skills WILL be tested! An example of just what is possible within the game compared to other similar titles.

There is still a LOT more to come, so please keep on watching this space!
Damn I should probably put something fancy in this bit huh?

Offline Team Lightning

• Addicted to combat robotics, good at annoying people, and wanting to get to -10000 rep XD.
  • Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1591 on: January 28, 2020, 02:35:03 PM »
Okay, so my bot RIPtear mk2 looked like this:

Is this good or bad?
EDIT: The image attachment system broke for me :( .
Robot Rumble 2.0 1_28_2020 2_32_39 PM.png

Offline WhamettNuht

• Rep: 12
  • Robot Building Drag Queen
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: WhamettNuht #1457
« Reply #1592 on: January 28, 2020, 02:43:46 PM »
Anything pink is a temporary indication for the COM calculator.
Damn I should probably put something fancy in this bit huh?

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1593 on: January 28, 2020, 02:50:11 PM »

Is this good or bad?

It looks like there is a COM sphere that is slightly to the right of a bar.  That's weird.  It looks like you have a COM that might be outside of the bounds of the robot.

Can you send me the .RR2Bot file?

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1594 on: January 28, 2020, 02:54:58 PM »
WhamettNuht found a crashing bug.  I forgot to account for the case where the rigidbody has zero mass (all of the components are broken off).  This caused a divide by zero condition which would crash the game to the main menu.  The fix will set the affected rigidbody's COM to the origin point of the object.

Bug fix coming soon.

Offline Team Lightning

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1595 on: January 28, 2020, 03:08:09 PM »

Is this good or bad?

It looks like there is a COM sphere that is slightly to the right of a bar.  That's weird.  It looks like you have a COM that might be outside of the bounds of the robot.

Can you send me the .RR2Bot file?
Here ya go:

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1596 on: January 28, 2020, 03:28:12 PM »
Ok so this sawbot crashes the game when it hits something at high speed and force.

Offline CyarSkirata

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1597 on: January 28, 2020, 03:39:02 PM »
A request from cjbruce, this arena is a replica of the real life arena his students fight their robots in! Perfect for the lighter weights.

How come every school in existence seems to have robot fighting except for any of the ones I ever went to?  :frown:
Stuff I Done Competed In:

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1598 on: January 28, 2020, 04:11:34 PM »
Ok so this sawbot crashes the game when it hits something at high speed and force.

Crash fix coming soon.  It was a stupid mistake that was easy to spot and fix.

Offline Team Lightning

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1599 on: January 28, 2020, 04:50:32 PM »

Crash fix coming soon.  It was a stupid mistake that was easy to spot and fix.
How soon?