Poll

What do you like doing most in RA2/RA3/robot combat games?

Building robots
Local single player battles with manually-controlled robots
Local multiplayer battles  with manually-controlled robots (PvP with controllers or a shared keyboard)
AI-only tournament battles
Other?  Please comment below.

Author Topic: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development  (Read 187906 times)

Offline WhamettNuht

• Rep: 12
  • Robot Building Drag Queen
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: WhamettNuht #1457
Re: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development
« Reply #1540 on: January 20, 2020, 03:15:01 PM »
Agreed on having Del for delete, and I think it would make it even quicker to have Enter as Confirm and maybe Backspace/Esc for Cancel?
Damn I should probably put something fancy in this bit huh?

Offline CyarSkirata

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1541 on: January 20, 2020, 05:41:39 PM »
I have a possible idea for how to do multiple motors running a weapon.

What if there were a way of making the *weapon*  the start of the branch, maybe with a special axle or something, and having it be spun by two motors that extend from that branch?

If it worked, it might also be a solution to making hubmotors actually work as they should.
Stuff I Done Competed In:

Offline CyarSkirata

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1542 on: January 20, 2020, 05:48:29 PM »
Also, Chris, did you see the video I posted a bit back of what the Panic Attack steering issue looks like?

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1543 on: January 20, 2020, 08:04:00 PM »
Also, Chris, did you see the video I posted a bit back of what the Panic Attack steering issue looks like?

I didn’t see it.  Would you mind resending the link?

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1544 on: January 20, 2020, 08:16:34 PM »

What if there were a way of making the *weapon*  the start of the branch, maybe with a special axle or something, and having it be spun by two motors that extend from that branch?

If it worked, it might also be a solution to making hubmotors actually work as they should.

But what happens when one motor breaks?  Is each motor powered separately?  Does the spinner keep spinning?   Lots of stuff would need to be figured out.  It would be its own special system with special rules.  Kind of like pneumatics.  The motors would need to be aligned.  Weird to think about how it would work...

Offline CodeSilver23

• RR2 Enthusiast and Design Innovator
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -2
  • Stars v Legends founder, Inventor of the Wheel-fix
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: CodeSilverGaming
« Reply #1545 on: January 20, 2020, 08:26:12 PM »

But what happens when one motor breaks?  Is each motor powered separately?  Does the spinner keep spinning?   Lots of stuff would need to be figured out.  It would be its own special system with special rules.  Kind of like pneumatics.  The motors would need to be aligned.  Weird to think about how it would work...
The only way I can see it work is if it's 1 motor that looks like 2? Idk, maybe click one motor, then click an option, then click the other motor, and tadaa! now it looks like 2 motors powering 1 thing, but the game sees it a 1 motor.
Accomplishments:

Offline F1Krazy

• Put me on a pedestal and I'll only disappoint you
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 4
  • Tell me I'm exceptional, I promise to exploit you
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #1546 on: January 21, 2020, 06:46:37 AM »
I feel like the simplest solution would just be to make a "dual" variant of each motor, like the 2-mag, 4-mag etc. from DSL. That way, it's still technically one motor, so it doesn't require any changes to the existing game mechanics, but it has the same stats as two motors joined together.
My DSL Showcase

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Rep: 10
  • -rep TheRoboteer. "queermint"
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Hoppin#0013
« Reply #1547 on: January 21, 2020, 10:13:55 AM »
I feel like the simplest solution would just be to make a "dual" variant of each motor, like the 2-mag, 4-mag etc. from DSL. That way, it's still technically one motor, so it doesn't require any changes to the existing game mechanics, but it has the same stats as two motors joined together.

Personally I think that would be an ok sort term fix. I would like to see the ability to join two motors that both run separate weapon belts to the same weapon.
Things I did & done

Offline Team Lightning

• Addicted to combat robotics, good at annoying people, and wanting to get to -10000 rep XD.
  • Beetleweight
  • Rep: -4
  • Education is important, robots are importanter.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1548 on: January 21, 2020, 06:24:21 PM »
The spark slider didn't make it into today's Alpha build (coming soon!), but please remind me when I get back from my game dev hiatus next week!
Reminder: CREATE SPARK SLIDER

Offline BATTLEMASTER

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1549 on: January 21, 2020, 06:51:08 PM »
I just wanted to double my motor power going to my vertical bar spinner, kind of like how Yeti had three motors driving its drum spinner in the latest season.

I'm wondering if some kind of tree inversion could be possible only for weapons where two motor connections go to the same weapon.  At least that's how I'd visualize it in something like LabView.

Offline Team Lightning

• Addicted to combat robotics, good at annoying people, and wanting to get to -10000 rep XD.
  • Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1550 on: January 21, 2020, 06:55:00 PM »
I noticed something (or lack thereof) where I had a bot that lost half of its weapon. It didn't spaz around like it should have. Here's a video:

* Robot Rumble 2.0 2020-01-21 18-48-58.mp4

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1551 on: January 21, 2020, 08:40:15 PM »
I noticed something (or lack thereof) where I had a bot that lost half of its weapon. It didn't spaz around like it should have. Here's a video:
  [ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]

Which one lost half of its weapon?

I took out the center of mass recalculation code because I’m still working on spinner and wheel physics and I need to eliminate some variables.

My big issue right now is that we are doing a hack to improve drivability.  The hack is not scaling to smaller robots.  This manifests as the problem you see in Beetle Crab where the robot will spontaneously float up on its side.  Beetleweights are in a bad place right now if they have an active weapon.  I need to nail this down to make driving consistent across weight classes.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 05:26:48 AM by cjbruce »

Offline CyarSkirata

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1552 on: January 22, 2020, 01:43:48 AM »

I didn’t see it.  Would you mind resending the link?

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1553 on: January 22, 2020, 05:32:59 AM »

It looks like you are using the 08January build for this video.  Do you still have the problem in the 12January builds and later?  For the 12January build I changed the arena floor from "Metal" to "Steel" so that it matches the Robot Workshop floor.  With this change I was able to make Panic Attack and Roller drive the same on both surfaces.

Offline Team Lightning

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1554 on: January 22, 2020, 06:29:08 AM »

I took out the center of mass recalculation code because I’m still working on spinner and wheel physics and I need to eliminate some variables.

My big issue right now is that we are doing a hack to improve drivability.  The hack is not scaling to smaller robots.  This manifests as the problem you see in Beetle Crab where the robot will spontaneously float up on its side.  Beetleweights are in a bad place right now if they have an active weapon.  I need to nail this down to make driving consistent across weight classes.
The eggbeater (player 1) lost half of its weapon but didn’t spaz around like it should have. Condo the fact that half of the eggbeater weighs 11 kg, it should have jumped around like crazy.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1555 on: January 22, 2020, 07:17:12 AM »

The eggbeater (player 1) lost half of its weapon but didn’t spaz around like it should have. Condo the fact that half of the eggbeater weighs 11 kg, it should have jumped around like crazy.
Did you not read this line?
Chris: I took out the center of mass recalculation code because I’m still working on spinner and wheel physics and I need to eliminate some variables

Offline Wambo

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1556 on: January 22, 2020, 09:34:19 AM »
At the itch.io page you were talking about a damage multiplier. How can I access that? Someone probably said it, but I didn't have a look at this page for months, so sorry for that.

Offline Wambo

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1557 on: January 22, 2020, 09:41:57 AM »
I found it, sorry

Offline CyarSkirata

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1558 on: January 22, 2020, 09:48:06 AM »

It looks like you are using the 08January build for this video.  Do you still have the problem in the 12January builds and later?  For the 12January build I changed the arena floor from "Metal" to "Steel" so that it matches the Robot Workshop floor.  With this change I was able to make Panic Attack and Roller drive the same on both surfaces.

I have this problem in every build since part damage was added, and in the case of Panic Attack (and Circumvolution with the crusher) the severity varies based on how severe spinner gyro is in a given build, but always remains too much for the bot to be playable.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1559 on: January 22, 2020, 10:57:49 AM »
Rats.  I'm having trouble replicating the issue.  Could you send me an updated version of either robot that shows the problem?