Poll

What do you like doing most in RA2/RA3/robot combat games?

Building robots
Local single player battles with manually-controlled robots
Local multiplayer battles  with manually-controlled robots (PvP with controllers or a shared keyboard)
AI-only tournament battles
Other?  Please comment below.

Author Topic: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development  (Read 187593 times)

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development
« Reply #1520 on: January 19, 2020, 07:08:49 PM »
Something bad happened.
When I was building something for about 2 hours, I accidentally clicked the Option 1(convex) collision generation when editing the chassis.
Is there any way to bring it back to life?

Oh no!  Looking into it!

Just uploaded the fix!

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1521 on: January 19, 2020, 07:09:45 PM »
19January2020 Alpha Build is out!

https://robot-rumble.itch.io/builds

This one has 2 bug fixes:

[Bug Fix] Fixed spinner crashing bug which caused robots with spinning weapons to crash back to the Main Menu screen.

[Bug Fix] Fixed a problem with the convex chassis option which caused robots to sometimes disappear and be replaced by magenta shapes.

Offline min440303

• Lightweight
  • Rep: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1522 on: January 19, 2020, 07:30:20 PM »
Something bad happened.
When I was building something for about 2 hours, I accidentally clicked the Option 1(convex) collision generation when editing the chassis.
Is there any way to bring it back to life?

Oh no!  Looking into it!

Just uploaded the fix!

Thank you! That's sweet!
Mad but not mad.

Stuff I kinda done at

Offline CodeSilver23

• RR2 Enthusiast and Design Innovator
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -2
  • Stars v Legends founder, Inventor of the Wheel-fix
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: CodeSilverGaming
« Reply #1523 on: January 19, 2020, 08:39:16 PM »
I was able to replicate the Beetle Crab glitch with a beetleweight robot I made.
I actually got the same issue as well, but only when the weapon or wheel comes off. It's easiest to replicate with a bot I'm attaching to this as it's weapon falls off fairly easily in fights. Please find a fix to this!
Accomplishments:

Offline BATTLEMASTER

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1524 on: January 19, 2020, 09:53:48 PM »
Question:  Is there a way to make it so two motors spin one weapon?  For an example, I have a design that has two motors driving the same bar spinner, each with a separate belt drive going from the motor to the spinner.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1525 on: January 20, 2020, 07:01:08 AM »
Question:  Is there a way to make it so two motors spin one weapon?  For an example, I have a design that has two motors driving the same bar spinner, each with a separate belt drive going from the motor to the spinner.
Not a doable thing at all.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1526 on: January 20, 2020, 07:05:40 AM »
I was able to replicate the Beetle Crab glitch with a beetleweight robot I made.
I actually got the same issue as well, but only when the weapon or wheel comes off. It's easiest to replicate with a bot I'm attaching to this as it's weapon falls off fairly easily in fights. Please find a fix to this!

1. Which glitch are you referring to?  Beetle Crab has almost nothing in common construction-wise with botlab robots, so it is unlikely to be a related issue.
2. Are you running the latest version?

Offline Team Lightning

• Addicted to combat robotics, good at annoying people, and wanting to get to -10000 rep XD.
  • Beetleweight
  • Rep: -4
  • Education is important, robots are importanter.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1527 on: January 20, 2020, 07:22:37 AM »

1. Which glitch are you referring to?  Beetle Crab has almost nothing in common construction-wise with botlab robots, so it is unlikely to be a related issue.
2. Are you running the latest version?
I am running the latest version, and the glitch I am referencing is the glitch where Beetle Crab is sluggish and hovers.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1528 on: January 20, 2020, 07:24:17 AM »

Awesome!  I will try to take a look today or tomorrow.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1529 on: January 20, 2020, 07:25:28 AM »

We can keep it on the list of requests, but it would require getting rid of the current tree structure for robot construction.  The tree structure is a core feature of the game.

Offline Team Lightning

• Addicted to combat robotics, good at annoying people, and wanting to get to -10000 rep XD.
  • Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1530 on: January 20, 2020, 07:40:30 AM »

We can keep it on the list of requests, but it would require getting rid of the current tree structure for robot construction.  The tree structure is a core feature of the game.
Couldn't you put a button in the workshop that allows you to connect one part to another?

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1531 on: January 20, 2020, 07:54:28 AM »

Couldn't you put a button in the workshop that allows you to connect one part to another?

Yes, we could add a button, but there is a lot more work to be done than that.

When the robot is reconstructed from the .RR2Bot file, all of the scripts assume that the robot is built with a tree structure.  In a logical tree, branches split and never come back together.  Everything that we have coded, reconstruction, component links, component breakage, and the damage system, all assume that each component has only one parent.  If we were to change this underlying assumption it would break pretty much everything in the game.  It isn't an impossible task to change this assumption, but it would take a significant chunk of time to fix and troubleshoot all of the bugs.

Bottom line: It is a significant (months? a year?) amount of work just to allow a spinner to be powered by two motors.  We have other things that are higher on the priority list.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1532 on: January 20, 2020, 08:12:18 AM »

Can you send me the robot with the glitch?  I have a potential fix for the robot that CodeSilver sent, but I want to make sure it works with yours as well.

I also need to check a few more robots to make sure the fix doesn't create some undesirable consequences.

Offline Team Lightning

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1533 on: January 20, 2020, 08:16:23 AM »

Yes, we could add a button, but there is a lot more work to be done than that.

When the robot is reconstructed from the .RR2Bot file, all of the scripts assume that the robot is built with a tree structure.  In a logical tree, branches split and never come back together.  Everything that we have coded, reconstruction, component links, component breakage, and the damage system, all assume that each component has only one parent.  If we were to change this underlying assumption it would break pretty much everything in the game.  It isn't an impossible task to change this assumption, but it would take a significant chunk of time to fix and troubleshoot all of the bugs.

Bottom line: It is a significant (months? a year?) amount of work just to allow a spinner to be powered by two motors.  We have other things that are higher on the priority list.
What if the button didn’t actually assign a part more than one parent component, but instead linked two parts together? Would that work?

Offline Team Lightning

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1534 on: January 20, 2020, 08:54:31 AM »

Can you send me the robot with the glitch?  I have a potential fix for the robot that CodeSilver sent, but I want to make sure it works with yours as well.

I also need to check a few more robots to make sure the fix doesn't create some undesirable consequences.
Here is the botfile for the glitchy beetleweight:

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1535 on: January 20, 2020, 10:32:18 AM »
What if the button didn’t actually assign a part more than one parent component, but instead linked two parts together? Would that work?

There is still plenty of work to do to get it working.  I will put it on the feature request board.

Offline Tashic

« Reply #1536 on: January 20, 2020, 11:32:01 AM »
Now that hotkeys are a thing, how about giving me ideas on what features you want to have available on keyboard and with what key to activate it.
They can be stuff that already has a button assigned to it but would benefit from a keyboard shortcut for experienced players, but also stuff that is only usable through keyboard as they would be impractical in the UI or needs to work together with the mouse.

The hotkeys for functions that are on different sections of the botlab can have the same key, for example snap to grid in the shape creator can have the same key as the snap function when adding components to the robot.

As cjbruce said, the robot is saved as a tree structure and that makes this specific feature pretty tricky to implement as I have to rework quite a bit the system to allow for this.
I have had this feature in mind however, and I would be interested in implementing this, but I still haven't found a satisfactory way of doing that.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1537 on: January 20, 2020, 01:35:38 PM »
Now that hotkeys are a thing, how about giving me ideas on what features you want to have available on keyboard and with what key to activate it.
They can be stuff that already has a button assigned to it but would benefit from a keyboard shortcut for experienced players, but also stuff that is only usable through keyboard as they would be impractical in the UI or needs to work together with the mouse.

The hotkeys for functions that are on different sections of the botlab can have the same key, for example snap to grid in the shape creator can have the same key as the snap function when adding components to the robot.

As cjbruce said, the robot is saved as a tree structure and that makes this specific feature pretty tricky to implement as I have to rework quite a bit the system to allow for this.
I have had this feature in mind however, and I would be interested in implementing this, but I still haven't found a satisfactory way of doing that.
Hotkeys that i really want that would help with building:
Delete key would delete a part.
Undo button and a hotkey for it (idk which one)

As for the motors, in my opinion, thats not really a massive worry, however i would like the option to attach multiple belts on a motor

Offline UberPyro

• Lightweight
  • Rep: 6
  • Well, here goes.
  • Awards GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1538 on: January 20, 2020, 01:54:06 PM »

x, y, z to focus the x, y, z box for editing position
arrow keys / wasd + shift + space for quickly adjusting positions, preferably with a way to control step size
almost every single button on the interface should have something bound to it just to speed things up
an undue button
toggle table / room existence
a way to select components very far away since I remember it being easy to necro robots that way (a tree view of the components would be the best way to do this though)
toggle zoom-in blur
toggle coordinate system to be based off parent component or just normal xyz coordinates
align center of current component with center of another in a particular dimension, e.g. hold x or y or z while clicking on a different component or something
some of these just need options settings rather than a hotkey

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1539 on: January 20, 2020, 02:13:36 PM »
An undo system would make a big improvement in usability.  I understand it isn’t a trivial thing to create but it would help a lot.

CTRL-Z to undo
either CTRL-Y or Shift-CTRL-Z for redo

Some other useful ones (I’m not sure if they are in yet):
M to move
S to scale
R to rotate
M + X + right or up key to move 1 millimeter in the X direction

If we are feeling really saucy we could copy the Blender hot keys:  G, R, S, etc