Poll

What do you like doing most in RA2/RA3/robot combat games?

Building robots
Local single player battles with manually-controlled robots
Local multiplayer battles  with manually-controlled robots (PvP with controllers or a shared keyboard)
AI-only tournament battles
Other?  Please comment below.

Author Topic: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development  (Read 187398 times)

Offline KupaTec

• Antweight
  • Rep: 6
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development
« Reply #1480 on: January 14, 2020, 12:31:58 PM »
Just a quick update from me on the first pass of the new Arena handling system.
The very basic framework for all the systems are in place now so soon enough you should
be seeing all new arenas using the new system!

As I said before I am expecting the first internal release to be ready for February and have
started on the documentation to help even Unity Novices get the most out of the tool, so
hopefully the first public release won't be too far away (no promises though).

Alongside all this I've updated the UI for the arena selection in order to add in the ability to
scroll through the list in preparation for the no doubt countless stages you guys will come up with!

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1481 on: January 14, 2020, 01:17:54 PM »
The very basic framework for all the systems are in place now so soon enough you should

As I said before I am expecting the first internal release to be ready for February and have
started on the documentation to help even Unity Novices get the most out of the tool, so

Alongside all this I've updated the UI for the arena selection in order to add in the ability to
scroll through the list in preparation for the no doubt countless stages you guys will come up with!

>Looks at top secret.
>Laughs in non-malicious intention

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1482 on: January 14, 2020, 08:48:36 PM »
I can’t wait to see the level editor!  So cool!

Offline WhamettNuht

• Rep: 12
  • Robot Building Drag Queen
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: WhamettNuht #1457
« Reply #1483 on: January 15, 2020, 03:01:02 AM »
With Kupa's addition of the extended Arena Selector screen, there may be some new Arena's popping up soon....

Watch this space ;)
Damn I should probably put something fancy in this bit huh?

Offline Team Lightning

• Addicted to combat robotics, good at annoying people, and wanting to get to -10000 rep XD.
  • Beetleweight
  • Rep: -4
  • Education is important, robots are importanter.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1484 on: January 15, 2020, 06:28:27 AM »
Where can I download the arena builder and CMT?
EDIT: When are you going to fix telemetry?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 06:58:38 AM by Team Lightning »

Offline KupaTec

• Antweight
  • Rep: 6
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1485 on: January 15, 2020, 10:07:58 AM »
With Kupa's addition of the extended Arena Selector screen, there may be some new Arena's popping up soon....

Watch this space ;)
Trust me, you guys are in for a treat! As a little extra to this: Custom Arenas now support preview images so now they can stand out with even more customisation!

Where can I download the arena builder and CMT?
The CMT is going to be tackled after the ArenaModTool. Neither are available yet, but once the documentation is in a place where it is user friendly, and the framework for the AMT is done I think the plan is to create a GitHub project for it as that will allow for easy maintenance and updating as well as allowing you guys to potentially collaborate with the creation of new features and such.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1486 on: January 15, 2020, 02:30:43 PM »
Ok so we stumbled upon this. Something is wrong with collisions, also the fact that physics is unoptimised, casuing the whole match to run at low fps at 500tick (my cpu usage was at maybe 30%)

Offline CyarSkirata

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1487 on: January 15, 2020, 02:35:39 PM »
I've just done some testing with a crusher, and I can confirm that gearing anything down further than a total of about 100/1 results in the entire robot being incapable of rotating faster in battle (not in the test area) than the speed of the geared object itself.
Stuff I Done Competed In:

Offline CodeSilver23

• RR2 Enthusiast and Design Innovator
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -2
  • Stars v Legends founder, Inventor of the Wheel-fix
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: CodeSilverGaming
« Reply #1488 on: January 15, 2020, 03:20:57 PM »

>Looks at top secret.
>Laughs in non-malicious intention
Bass intensifies as Ali-A intro rolls.  heck
Accomplishments:

Offline Hobo Droo

• Official Veteran
  • Rep: 7
  • Former Cheater
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1489 on: January 15, 2020, 06:22:49 PM »
Ok so we stumbled upon this. Something is wrong with collisions, also the fact that physics is unoptimised, casuing the whole match to run at low fps at 500tick (my cpu usage was at maybe 30%)

Ah, yes. My overhead bar decided to fly around and destroy everything while we were fighting it. It looked like it stopped being able to collide but could still do damage.
kevin the cube is gone in fortnite

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1490 on: January 16, 2020, 05:46:34 AM »
I've just done some testing with a crusher, and I can confirm that gearing anything down further than a total of about 100/1 results in the entire robot being incapable of rotating faster in battle (not in the test area) than the speed of the geared object itself.

Would you mind sending an .RR2Bot file, or is it possible to replicate this with Panic Attack?

Edit: Panic Attack is really difficult to edit because the robot is so dense.  Could you send an .RR2Bot file that shows the problem?

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1491 on: January 16, 2020, 06:09:57 AM »

I love it!  This is so great!

I'm probably suffering from "Developer Eyes Syndrome" and can't see everything that you guys see, but I see 2 things here that need fixing:

1. The spinners should have come to a stop.  Either or that or they should have broken off.  For whatever reason that didn't happen and the now-invisible blur cylinders were still spinning and working their magic.

2. The lag is due to the fact that there is a literal pile of colliders on top of each other, all interacting.  The only way to minimize this is to reduce the number of interacting colliders.

Have you guys found a reliable way to reproduce #1?  It looks like P2 and P3's spinners didn't come to a stop, even though they were out of the arena.  Is this correct?  Were the weapons still turned on for P2 and P3?

Offline CyarSkirata

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1492 on: January 16, 2020, 08:56:39 AM »

Would you mind sending an .RR2Bot file, or is it possible to replicate this with Panic Attack?

Edit: Panic Attack is really difficult to edit because the robot is so dense.  Could you send an .RR2Bot file that shows the problem?

If your Mac is capable of reproducing the problem at all, then all you need to do is stack two gearboxes, set both to 10/0.1, and put a long steel block or something extending off the side of the axle.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1493 on: January 16, 2020, 09:28:42 AM »

I'm probably suffering from "Developer Eyes Syndrome" and can't see everything that you guys see, but I see 2 things here that need fixing:

1. The spinners should have come to a stop.  Either or that or they should have broken off.  For whatever reason that didn't happen and the now-invisible blur cylinders were still spinning and working their magic.

2. The lag is due to the fact that there is a literal pile of colliders on top of each other, all interacting.  The only way to minimize this is to reduce the number of interacting colliders.

Have you guys found a reliable way to reproduce #1?  It looks like P2 and P3's spinners didn't come to a stop, even though they were out of the arena.  Is this correct?  Were the weapons still turned on for P2 and P3?

I think I have found and fixed the "Pit Blender" problem.  It turns out that when a robot is disabled, it would lose player input and maintain the existing state of the control signals.  Super scary when this happens in a real-life competition -- you have to wait until the batteries die on the robot.

In any case, this will be fixed in the next release.

Offline Hobo Droo

• Official Veteran
  • Former Cheater
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1494 on: January 16, 2020, 10:20:42 AM »

I think I have found and fixed the "Pit Blender" problem.  It turns out that when a robot is disabled, it would lose player input and maintain the existing state of the control signals.  Super scary when this happens in a real-life competition -- you have to wait until the batteries die on the robot.

In any case, this will be fixed in the next release.

The buggy spinners started midway through the fight, when nobody was even in the pit. I could still drive the robot fine. We got this to happen a second time, but nothing after that. We don’t have a consistent method of triggering the glitch. P2 was the main source of the problem. At some point the bar started teleporting off of the axle and was able to clip through the floor and other robots. The same thing happened to P1 later, but not quite to the same extent.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1495 on: January 16, 2020, 10:42:12 AM »

The buggy spinners started midway through the fight, when nobody was even in the pit. I could still drive the robot fine. We got this to happen a second time, but nothing after that. We don’t have a consistent method of triggering the glitch. P2 was the main source of the problem. At some point the bar started teleporting off of the axle and was able to clip through the floor and other robots. The same thing happened to P1 later, but not quite to the same extent.

Would you mind sending the .RR2Bot files for P2 and P3?  I want to see if there is something weird going on...

Offline CyarSkirata

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1496 on: January 16, 2020, 12:00:58 PM »

Would you mind sending the .RR2Bot files for P2 and P3?  I want to see if there is something weird going on...

P2 and 1 as in player.

The actual bots were Infrared and Circumvolution.
I can send the latter,

And while I'm at it, here's the version of it where I was testing a crusher. You'll need to set a second one of the gearboxes to 10/0.1 to get the result where it barely steers in battle. Just like with Panic Attack, the issue doesn't effect it at all in the workshop test area.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1497 on: January 16, 2020, 12:46:21 PM »
Cyar,

Thank you!  I'll take a look today.

Offline Hobo Droo

• Official Veteran
  • Former Cheater
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1498 on: January 16, 2020, 06:32:33 PM »

Here's the bot file for Infrared. I'm not sure what physics stats we were using though, as this was on Kix's computer.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 06:23:11 PM by Hobo Droo »

Offline Sircreepalot2

• Lightweight
  • Rep: 4
  • So how about that airline food?
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1499 on: January 16, 2020, 09:38:32 PM »
Woah, this is awesome! Can't believe someone actually went ahead and made the whole thing.  Awesome stuff!
"You've heard the hymns, whispered throughout the lands. 
ooo macho madness oo o macho madness
OOO MACHO MADNESS OO O MACHO MADNESS"
                      -Macho Man Randy Savage

2nd place in Plan B- mcfreakinloseit