Poll

What do you like doing most in RA2/RA3/robot combat games?

Building robots
Local single player battles with manually-controlled robots
Local multiplayer battles  with manually-controlled robots (PvP with controllers or a shared keyboard)
AI-only tournament battles
Other?  Please comment below.

Author Topic: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development  (Read 187903 times)

Offline min440303

• Lightweight
  • Rep: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development
« Reply #1400 on: January 09, 2020, 11:41:21 PM »
Seems bots become clumsy and hard to drive since Jan 7th build
Jan 3rd

* 20200110_133040_1.mp4

Jan 7th(also 8th)

* 20200110_133031_1.mp4

Plus: Almost everytime when two spinners crash into each other, they get stuck.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 02:21:40 AM by min440303 »
Mad but not mad.

Stuff I kinda done at

Offline 3g

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1401 on: January 10, 2020, 12:20:22 AM »
In my opinion, having no gyro takes away the experience of having the bot perform like it would IRL. For example, I have a replica of Black Dragon and Minotaur built in the game, gyro is the main thing for both bots to self-right

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1402 on: January 10, 2020, 04:22:15 AM »
kix,

I just posted a new 09January bleeding edge build.  I think this one fixes the jitter for Beta.  All I did was changed the Default Velocity Solver Iterations in Physics Settings from 4 to 10.  Let me know what you think!

http://www.robot-rumble.com/bleedingedgebuilds/
Well i do see some minor improvements, but noting really that stopped jittering completely
It does seem like the wheels have no traction and they jitter because of that. Now gearing down could help, but that also means that its gonna be way slower and more terrible to drive.

I will say it again. The pit lit part of the arena is the only part where you can drive the bots on, and they wouldnt jitter

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1403 on: January 10, 2020, 06:18:19 AM »
see some minor improvements, but noting really that stopped jittering completely
It does seem like the wheels have no traction and they jitter because of that. Now gearing down could help, but that also means that its gonna be way slower and more terrible to drive.

I will say it again. The pit lit part of the arena is the only part where you can drive the bots on, and they wouldnt jitter

You are right!  The arena floor was set to generic "Metal", while the pit is "Steel".  The only difference between the two materials is that "Metal" was set to use the minimum friction coefficient of the material, while "Steel" used the average.

I'm not seeing a difference in the jittering (which doesn't appear too bad on my computer), but am seeing a noticeable difference in traction.  Beta definitely has more traction with the Steel floor.  Maybe we need a "friction" slider in the physics tab?  :bigsmile:

I should have a bleeding edge build up with the change in the next 10 hours...

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1404 on: January 10, 2020, 07:25:15 AM »
see some minor improvements, but noting really that stopped jittering completely

You are right!  The arena floor was set to generic "Metal", while the pit is "Steel".  The only difference between the two materials is that "Metal" was set to use the minimum friction coefficient of the material, while "Steel" used the average.

I'm not seeing a difference in the jittering (which doesn't appear too bad on my computer), but am seeing a noticeable difference in traction.  Beta definitely has more traction with the Steel floor.  Maybe we need a "friction" slider in the physics tab?  :bigsmile:

I should have a bleeding edge build up with the change in the next 10 hours...

As long as it stops the jittering, im more than happy. There are fair amount of people wit bots that jitter.worst case scenario, set the floor material to steel.

Offline CyarSkirata

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1405 on: January 10, 2020, 08:08:13 AM »
I'm getting increasingly suspicious that Mac and PC simulate the game completely differently.
The problem I have is that even without turning on the weapons of Roller or un-fixed Panic Attack, they just can't steer well enough to so much as manoeuvre around the arena.

It is possible, though I suspect that it might be more related to CPU/GPU load than PC vs Mac.

On my computer if I keep Roller's weapon off I can drive around slowly.  It skids around more than I would like, but it is okay.  It gets all bumpy within a second after I turn on the weapon.

Both versions of Panic Attack that you sent me drive perfectly fine.  A little slow, but they are big robots.

The version of Mental Breakdown that kix sent me a while ago drives like an absolutely maniac.  Super-maneuverable.  It overshoots like crazy when the computer AI is driving.

This is what Roller and Panic Attack look like on my end.
Smooth simulation quality, but both bots are far more broken than you've described on your end.

But, one thing to note is that the test area doesn't break Panic Attack. Only actually going into battle does.
Stuff I Done Competed In:

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1406 on: January 10, 2020, 08:18:36 AM »
I'm getting increasingly suspicious that Mac and PC simulate the game completely differently.
The problem I have is that even without turning on the weapons of Roller or un-fixed Panic Attack, they just can't steer well enough to so much as manoeuvre around the arena.

It is possible, though I suspect that it might be more related to CPU/GPU load than PC vs Mac.

On my computer if I keep Roller's weapon off I can drive around slowly.  It skids around more than I would like, but it is okay.  It gets all bumpy within a second after I turn on the weapon.

Both versions of Panic Attack that you sent me drive perfectly fine.  A little slow, but they are big robots.

The version of Mental Breakdown that kix sent me a while ago drives like an absolutely maniac.  Super-maneuverable.  It overshoots like crazy when the computer AI is driving.

This is what Roller and Panic Attack look like on my end.
Smooth simulation quality, but both bots are far more broken than you've described on your end.

But, one thing to note is that the test area doesn't break Panic Attack. Only actually going into battle does.

Try driving on the pit floor, it might work there

Offline CyarSkirata

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1407 on: January 10, 2020, 09:29:00 AM »
Already have. It doesn't.
The problem is with the weapons, not friction.

Or... Well. It hasn't helped when I've ended up there in battle. I'll try again going there deliberately once I'm back at my PC, to see if anything's happened to that in the current build.
Stuff I Done Competed In:

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1408 on: January 10, 2020, 09:36:53 AM »
Building the "Steel" (instead of "Metal") floor build now.  I should have it up within the next few hours on /bleedingedgebuilds.

Offline CodeSilver23

• RR2 Enthusiast and Design Innovator
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -2
  • Stars v Legends founder, Inventor of the Wheel-fix
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: CodeSilverGaming
« Reply #1409 on: January 10, 2020, 09:48:16 AM »
Cyar, send me the bot. I fixed NULL, so I might be able to fix Panic Attack.
Accomplishments:

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1410 on: January 10, 2020, 10:44:00 AM »
The 10January bleeding edge build is up.  This build is identical to the 09January bleeding edge build, except the "Metal" floor has been replaced by a "Steel" floor.  This should improve traction in the arena.

http://www.robot-rumble.com/bleedingedgebuilds/

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1411 on: January 10, 2020, 10:54:01 AM »
CyarSkirata,

Here are the 2 versions of Panic Attack that I have been testing with:

Offline KupaTec

• Antweight
  • Rep: 6
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1412 on: January 10, 2020, 11:49:06 AM »
Hey all!

So for the past couple weeks or so I've been working on bringing the previously discussed ArenaModTool to reality. cjbruce was kind enough to invite me to join the dev team in order to bring the idea to life so I thought it best to keep you guys updated on the progress!

At the moment most of the work has been done on the backend framework, so we have full export/import support for modded arenas. Next I need to work on updating the UI in the BattleBotSelection screen in order to dynamically add the new arena(s) to the menu and then work will commence on adding in extra features for the created arena(s) to bring them up to the same spec as the current built in arenas.

Here is a quick example of an arena I threw together in a couple of minutes with the bear minimum for it to be playable just to test things in the ModTool:

And here is the same arena running in game:

Just because the Arena I'm using to test interactions and get everything running is simple don't think that is the limit! Thanks to Unity's excellent support for 3D models and advanced lighting you can pretty much make anything you can think of! If you guys have any questions, suggestions, or want to know anything about the project just drop me a message here or on the Discord.

Offline Arcane

• The Mildly Pretentious
  • Lightweight
  • Rep: 9
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1413 on: January 10, 2020, 01:15:45 PM »
I can’t fault the work that’s going into this game.

Really great to see another member onboard with the development too.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1414 on: January 10, 2020, 01:57:34 PM »
Tested the new build and beta does not seem to be doing better. I really dont know what is causing the jitteriness. Try looking at 2.01 build from April or so. The driving was spot on there

Offline Team Lightning

• Addicted to combat robotics, good at annoying people, and wanting to get to -10000 rep XD.
  • Beetleweight
  • Rep: -4
  • Education is important, robots are importanter.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1415 on: January 10, 2020, 02:35:19 PM »
I noticed with the new steel floor there is this weird clanking that seems to be coming from that rolling pin. Here's a video, play it with sound:

* Robot Rumble 2.0 2020-01-10 14-32-13.mp4

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1416 on: January 10, 2020, 02:39:52 PM »
I noticed with the new steel floor there is this weird clanking that seems to be coming from that rolling pin. Here's a video, play it with sound:
  [ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]  
I second this

Offline Team Lightning

• Addicted to combat robotics, good at annoying people, and wanting to get to -10000 rep XD.
  • Beetleweight
  • Rep: -4
  • Education is important, robots are importanter.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1417 on: January 10, 2020, 02:52:00 PM »
I figured out what was wrong with my sawbot! When limits are set, motor shafts on the arm stay at the original location!

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1418 on: January 10, 2020, 03:54:14 PM »

Oops!  Need to get Callum on this.  Thats what I get for having the sound down while I test the game...

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1419 on: January 10, 2020, 04:00:01 PM »
New bleeding edge build is coming out tomorrow.  I have added sliders to adjust the following:

Physics Tick Rate (100 - 500 ticks per second)
Physics Default Solver Velocity Iterations
Physics Default Iterations

I might try adding a few more sliders to see if we can figure out a fix to the jittering problem.  I have noticed that if I increase the physics tick rate to 300 I the jittering in Beta seems to become a smooth oscillation back and forth.  It just about doubles the time spent in physics per frame though.  My baby laptop CPU is getting HOT.

EDIT: kix, I'm kind of dying to see if your computer can handle 500 ticks per second.  :smile: