Poll

What do you like doing most in RA2/RA3/robot combat games?

Building robots
Local single player battles with manually-controlled robots
Local multiplayer battles  with manually-controlled robots (PvP with controllers or a shared keyboard)
AI-only tournament battles
Other?  Please comment below.

Author Topic: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development  (Read 187369 times)

Offline CyarSkirata

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development
« Reply #1360 on: January 08, 2020, 01:21:19 PM »
It just occurred to me that the one spinner I forgot to test on the jan 6 build is my currently bug-riddled very early Barber-Ous clone (from back in the bugglebots build), which has been undriveable since part damage came in.

Having done that test now, it still has the same problems as always, despite the 10% weapon weight. Given it has steering troubles (before I even turn the weapon on) just about identical to un-wheelfixed Panic Attack, I'm starting to suspect they might both be victims of the same bug.

Here's the bot, Roller - I'm bad at coming up with names without specific inspiration :3 - incase it helps track the issue down for good.

Meanwhile, time to see if any of the bots fare better in the new build.
Stuff I Done Competed In:

Offline CyarSkirata

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1361 on: January 08, 2020, 02:01:16 PM »
Ah... I can't test the new build, my PC can't extract the zip of Jan 7.
Says the archive is corrupt.

I've tried downloading again, hasn't helped.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1362 on: January 08, 2020, 03:23:58 PM »
Shoot!  Sorry about that.  I have a new build coming soon.  It has 3 new physics sliders.  These are going to be temporary.  Once we have tested driving and impacts on a bunch of different robots I am planning on removing the sliders.  Or swapping them out for something else.  Like damage effects. :)

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1363 on: January 08, 2020, 04:00:29 PM »
Stuff in the 08January2020 Build:

[Bug Fix] Disabled the extra gravitational torque added to spinners. This was originally added to compensate for the weight reduction that happened as spinners gained speed. Now that Makeup Mass is a thing, it is doubling the effective weight of the spinner and shifting the center of gravity so that wheel grip is adversely affected.

[Tweaked] Reduced duration of sparks to a single hit.

[Changed] Sparks are only emitted on glancing blows.

[Changed] Restored spinner collision impulse response to its previous value, 100% conversion of angular momentum into linear momentum. The only exception to this is when a part breaks off, in which case the linear impulse is dependent on how much energy is lost.

[Added] Clamped spinner mass reduction factor: massReductionFactor = Mathf.Clamp(RPMsPerMassReduction / currentRPM, minimumMassReduction, 1.0f);

[Added] Set default minimum mass reduction to 10%.

[Added] Sliders and settings support for "Spinner Pushout", "Spinner Impulse", and "Minimum Spinner Mass". This should allow playtesters to tweak the settings for driving and impact feel.

Spinner Pushout: This is the amount of radial impulse (push) applied when the spinner blur cylinder (no longer visible) overlaps something.  A big value pushes the spinner and the object apart more violently.

Spinner Impulse: This is the amount of tangential impulse (kick) applied when the spinner blur cylinder overlaps something.  A big value kicks the target forward and spinner backward.

Minimum Spinner Mass: This is the minimum percentage of mass a spinner can be reduced to.  Larger values increase gyroscopic effects.  Too much gyroscopic effects make robots unstable.  Please note that this instability is due to the limitations of a computer's physics engine.  In real life gyroscopic effects tend to make things more stable.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1364 on: January 08, 2020, 04:16:19 PM »
Idea: More sparks = Bigger blows, like small hits would emit a tiny ammount of sparks and really big ones would emit lot of sparks. Will we also get sparks on alu material?

Offline WhamettNuht

• Rep: 12
  • Robot Building Drag Queen
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: WhamettNuht #1457
« Reply #1365 on: January 08, 2020, 04:23:39 PM »
Idea: More sparks = Bigger blows, like small hits would emit a tiny ammount of sparks and really big ones would emit lot of sparks. Will we also get sparks on alu material?

I agree, but don't worry about it for a couple of builds tbh. Just focus on getting this physics stuff sorted :)

And I wouldn't say so as aluminium doesn't spark in the same way steel would (in fact I don't think it sparks at all). I would maybe say when it gets to that point for materials like aluminium, plastic, ect. maybe just having chips/small debris instead of sparks.
Damn I should probably put something fancy in this bit huh?

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1366 on: January 08, 2020, 04:27:18 PM »

I agree, but don't worry about it for a couple of builds tbh. Just focus on getting this physics stuff sorted :)

And I wouldn't say so as aluminium doesn't spark in the same way steel would (in fact I don't think it sparks at all). I would maybe say when it gets to that point for materials like aluminium, plastic, ect. maybe just having chips/small debris instead of sparks.
Huh alu might not actually spark yeah. Now i kinda wish we had titanium material in this game XD

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1367 on: January 08, 2020, 04:28:15 PM »
The 08January2020 build is up!

https://robot-rumble.itch.io/builds

Offline WhamettNuht

• Rep: 12
  • Robot Building Drag Queen
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: WhamettNuht #1457
« Reply #1368 on: January 08, 2020, 04:28:33 PM »
Huh alu might not actually spark yeah. Now i kinda wish we had titanium material in this game XD

Extra materials may be on the list for wayyy in the future.... :P

Anyway, I just tried the new build and personally I really like having all three physics sliders at about 2/3 of the way :P
Although I do find that the game now makes my laptop heat up like a mother----
Damn I should probably put something fancy in this bit huh?

Offline CodeSilver23

• RR2 Enthusiast and Design Innovator
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -2
  • Stars v Legends founder, Inventor of the Wheel-fix
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: CodeSilverGaming
« Reply #1369 on: January 08, 2020, 04:46:42 PM »
Idea: More sparks = Bigger blows
I don’t think that’s the way to go. I’d prolly go with glancing blow= straight line of sparks, and big blow=more spread out sparks.
Accomplishments:

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1370 on: January 08, 2020, 05:39:26 PM »
ok ngl at 150/150/20% i feel like its great

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1371 on: January 08, 2020, 05:54:43 PM »
ok driving is still an issue:

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1372 on: January 08, 2020, 06:13:18 PM »
I can't seem to select bots to play at all. Here's a screen recording of the issue below:

I'm not sure when this started happening, as I haven't given RR2 a go in a good while and there's been a lot of software and hardware updates since the last time I got it to work. I'm currently on Windows 10 with an AMD RX 5700XT GPU with the latest video drivers. I'm on a dual monitor setup (one 1080p and one 4k), and the issue is the same no matter which monitor I have the game on, in fullscreen or in windowed, even if I disable one of the monitors.

Also, and more importantly, the music slider doesn't save it's setting between restarts which is REALLY annoying.
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1373 on: January 08, 2020, 06:59:31 PM »
I can't seem to select bots to play at all. Here's a screen recording of the issue below:

I'm not sure when this started happening, as I haven't given RR2 a go in a good while and there's been a lot of software and hardware updates since the last time I got it to work. I'm currently on Windows 10 with an AMD RX 5700XT GPU with the latest video drivers. I'm on a dual monitor setup (one 1080p and one 4k), and the issue is the same no matter which monitor I have the game on, in fullscreen or in windowed, even if I disable one of the monitors.

Also, and more importantly, the music slider doesn't save it's setting between restarts which is REALLY annoying.
Aw **** i remember one if my friends having this issue. Idk how did we fix it. I think we wiped appdata game stuff, or he made a bot. As for the music, you can remove it by deleting musicstreams(or whatever is the 10mb one) file in the streaming folder in data folder.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1374 on: January 08, 2020, 07:06:36 PM »

This one looks like the wheel joints aren’t stiff enough to hold up the robot.  Not sure what the fix is, but I would need to play with it.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1375 on: January 08, 2020, 07:08:37 PM »
Badger, welcome back!

Sorry about that!  I suspect that you have some old .RR2Bot files that the newer versions of the game can’t load.  I like the idea of clearing out the app data folder.

Offline CyarSkirata

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1376 on: January 08, 2020, 07:34:01 PM »
Okay, so... In this build, my verts work quite well, but there are issues. Note, this is with the sliders set to what feels like the best middle ground for my bots.

Circumvolution seems to have too little gyro (large lightweight flywheel), I have a 30kg drum that seems to restrict its bot's mobility a tad too much, and smaller lighter drums seem too fragile.
Then of course there's Roller, which along with un-wheelfixed Panic Attack still has crippling problems even when idle.

Front and overhead horizontals seem better than they have been, but... maybe a little too hindered for mobility.

My shell and ring do better in this build than a lot of previous ones. They feel about right at the moment, the weapons being powerful but still as vulnerable as they should be to being rushed.

On the whole, impact seems pretty good for heavier weapons, but I feel like speed isn't imparting as much energy as it really should compared to mass, making the heavier spinners objectively better right now than the faster ones.

On a side note: when Wheely Big Cheese is inverted and fires its flipper, it launches itself close to three metres into the air. I'm wondering if this has to do with its wheels (which for authenticity and balance I never wheelfixed) being made lighter?

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1377 on: January 08, 2020, 09:14:06 PM »
Great feedback here!

By any chance are you using settings similar to kix?  I would like to settle on some values for these things so we can move on to other stuff.

Also, would someone mind asking the rest of the folks on Discord?  More opinions = better.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1378 on: January 09, 2020, 05:41:53 AM »

This one looks like the wheel joints aren’t stiff enough to hold up the robot.  Not sure what the fix is, but I would need to play with it.
This is what we refer to when the bots bounce. Way early builds didnt have the issue at all.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1379 on: January 09, 2020, 05:51:38 AM »

This is what we refer to when the bots bounce. Way early builds didnt have the issue at all.

Gotcha!  I thought the bouncing problem was related to vertical spinners.

Would you mind sending me that .RR2Bot file?  I don't have any similar robots to test with.