Poll

What do you like doing most in RA2/RA3/robot combat games?

Building robots
Local single player battles with manually-controlled robots
Local multiplayer battles  with manually-controlled robots (PvP with controllers or a shared keyboard)
AI-only tournament battles
Other?  Please comment below.

Author Topic: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development  (Read 187786 times)

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development
« Reply #1320 on: January 03, 2020, 04:14:53 PM »
The 03January build is up!

I'm going to have to slow down after this one.  School starts on Monday!
Do that man, atm im testing this build but it seems to be great, link tho?

Offline Team Lightning

• Addicted to combat robotics, good at annoying people, and wanting to get to -10000 rep XD.
  • Beetleweight
  • Rep: -4
  • Education is important, robots are importanter.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1321 on: January 03, 2020, 04:15:51 PM »
I noticed this glitch in the 03January build:

* Robot Rumble 2.0 2020-01-03 16-03-53_Trim.mp4

EDIT: The robot that is gyrodancing has no spinning weapons.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1322 on: January 03, 2020, 04:32:35 PM »

Oh no.  I forgot to take wheels into account in the recalculation of center of mass when stuff gets broken off.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1323 on: January 03, 2020, 04:41:17 PM »
Ok so ive tested this and
the good: Unbalancing small parts seems okay. It deffo gives fairness into play.
the bad:
3 times match footage of bad stuff:

1st match: Hits seem to be very unstable physics wise, you can see the bots teleporting.
2nd match: Apparently, where there is a hole in a spinner, the bot (or parts that are connected to it) will clip into the hole, and to... well you will see
3rd match: You can see some big hits are are solid physics wise, but have no impact really.

when a whole spinner breaks off, the motor cant be turned off for the spinner, and the bot cant be controlled at all

oh and self damage is again a thing, my spinner  hit the floor and it broke off...

This too: The wheels seem to lose their position when "havok" (sudden bot teleporting) happens, and they need to return to their position again, but it takes time

Ok everying havoks

Offline CodeSilver23

• RR2 Enthusiast and Design Innovator
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -2
  • Stars v Legends founder, Inventor of the Wheel-fix
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: CodeSilverGaming
« Reply #1324 on: January 03, 2020, 04:52:34 PM »
At this point all I’m needing for SvL S2 to happen is the Jan 1 build in terms of physics and non-glitchyness, but with the invisible blur cylinder, a no-HUD option, and chassis damage potentially with a slider. Oh, and the secret project.
Accomplishments:

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1325 on: January 03, 2020, 05:09:11 PM »
I’m pulling out the center of mass calculations that I did this afternoon. I will have a clean version up tomorrow morning.

Chassis damage will need to wait a bit.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1326 on: January 03, 2020, 05:21:21 PM »
I’m pulling out the center of mass calculations that I did this afternoon. I will have a clean version up tomorrow morning.

Will that fix clipping thru issues and random teleportation?

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1327 on: January 03, 2020, 07:02:36 PM »

Will that fix clipping thru issues and random teleportation?

Shoot!  I just realized that the probable reason for the glitches is the fact that the blur cylinder isn’t disabled every hit like it was in previous builds.  Prior to this every hit the speed of the spinner was dropped to zero.  Now the speed only drops a little on most hits.  Thus the physics impulse is applied to the colliding objects continuously.  This will take some tweaking to fix.  Maybe a few back and forth iterations until we are satisfied.  We’ll see...

Offline CyarSkirata

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1328 on: January 04, 2020, 03:01:53 AM »
  [ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]

I've had that problem on S3 ever since the first build with part damage. Except on S3, it's the bot's default state of being. Regardless of damage, drive controls, and whether the weapon is running.
Stuff I Done Competed In:

Offline CyarSkirata

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1329 on: January 04, 2020, 03:28:42 AM »
In other news, the full unstoppable gyro after a spinner is broken has returned.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1330 on: January 04, 2020, 08:22:16 AM »

I've had that problem on S3 ever since the first build with part damage. Except on S3, it's the bot's default state of being. Regardless of damage, drive controls, and whether the weapon is running.

Would you mind sending me S3?  I would like to get the spinning-related quirks nailed out.

Offline CyarSkirata

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1331 on: January 04, 2020, 10:07:59 AM »

Would you mind sending me S3?  I would like to get the spinning-related quirks nailed out.

Sure.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1332 on: January 04, 2020, 01:31:22 PM »
Back at it working on spinner impulse response...

I have broken things down into two categories: glancing blows and direct hits. 

Glancing blows should slow down the spinner, push the robots apart, and shoot sparks (if appropriate). 

Direct hits should put as much kinetic energy into crushing something as possible.  If the spinner has enough kinetic energy to break something, it will, slowing the spinner in the process.  If the spinner doesn’t have enough kinetic energy, it will come to a complete stop.  Reaction impulse will push the spinner backward and the target forward.

At some point I’m going to have to deal with the fact that hammers are going to have less than 1% of the kinetic energy of a spinner.  Damage will need to work differently.  I suppose that is a problem for the future though.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1333 on: January 04, 2020, 01:41:21 PM »
Maybe anything that has limited angles set should have damage multiplied?

Offline Team Lightning

• Addicted to combat robotics, good at annoying people, and wanting to get to -10000 rep XD.
  • Beetleweight
  • Rep: -4
  • Education is important, robots are importanter.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1334 on: January 04, 2020, 04:41:33 PM »
At some point I’m going to have to deal with the fact that hammers are going to have less than 1% of the kinetic energy of a spinner.  Damage will need to work differently.  I suppose that is a problem for the future though.
If materials had puncture strength and tear strength, then hammers could do puncture damage and spinners could do tear damage.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1335 on: January 04, 2020, 06:43:19 PM »
That’s kind of what I was thinking too.  I also would like to take into account ramming and being launched up high, then crashing into the ground.

Spinners are definitely the special case.  They have their own special collider.  I was hoping to do everything else without adding anything special.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1336 on: January 04, 2020, 09:07:39 PM »

Sure.  [ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]

WOWSERS!

I haven't seen that problem before.  It seems like the center of mass of the robot is far off to the side for some reason.  Like maybe the whole robot got shifted sideways?  I don't know what the fix is.  It doesn't have anything to do with a blur cylinder.  Maybe some numbers need to be tweaked in the .RR2Bot file?

@tashic, any ideas?

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1337 on: January 06, 2020, 08:00:45 AM »
Just put up a new 06January2020 Bleeding Edge Build:

http://www.robot-rumble.com/bleedingedgebuilds/

The purpose of this build is to test driving with your big spinners.  I reduced the mass of all big spinners by about 90% from where they were this should significantly improve the stability of the simulation for big heavy spinners.

In particular, if you have a shell spinner let me know how it drives with this build!

Offline CyarSkirata

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1338 on: January 06, 2020, 03:46:44 PM »
Just put up a new 06January2020 Bleeding Edge Build:

http://www.robot-rumble.com/bleedingedgebuilds/

The purpose of this build is to test driving with your big spinners.  I reduced the mass of all big spinners by about 90% from where they were this should significantly improve the stability of the simulation for big heavy spinners.

In particular, if you have a shell spinner let me know how it drives with this build!

Okay. So... First off, I imagine you already know this, but this test does make spinners nearly incapable of scoring effective hits.

My verts handle so well they're actually harder to aim because of the oversteer. Circumvolution in particular is pretty ridiculous, it almost feels like it steers faster than without the weapon, though that's probably just a psychological thing from me over-correcting.

My more standard horizontals basically feel like they don't have a weapon at all, in all aspects of handling, despite one of them having a "32 kg" flywheel with the torque to spin up in under 3 seconds.

My shell and my ring both have basically the same problem; they feel like they've already lost their weapons, and their opponents don't notice their hits at all.

Offline CyarSkirata

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1339 on: January 06, 2020, 04:02:41 PM »
While I'm here, I might as well also mention: This test does actually fix the suicidal torque when I use the srimech on non-wheelfixed versions of Panic Attack. Unfortunately it also makes it too flimsy.

The issue still remains though with it being effectively unable to steer when I gear the weapons low without the wheelfix.
The problem there being that with the wheelfix, they go completely limp when put under any minor shock from moving parts of opponents. With both gearboxes on each weapon set to 10/1 - meaning a total ratio of 100/1, the effective limit of a single gearbox - they move fast enough that it isn't an issue in battle.
But the wheelfix makes them unuseable at the more authentic speed given by setting each gearbox at 10/0.4 - a speed at which the torque would have little enough of an effect that I'd be able to use the srimech effectively.

So right now the choice with the bot is between being nearly incapable of steering, and being nearly incapable of self-righting.  :dead: