Poll

What do you like doing most in RA2/RA3/robot combat games?

Building robots
Local single player battles with manually-controlled robots
Local multiplayer battles  with manually-controlled robots (PvP with controllers or a shared keyboard)
AI-only tournament battles
Other?  Please comment below.

Author Topic: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development  (Read 187619 times)

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development
« Reply #1260 on: December 27, 2019, 06:53:37 PM »
You say that people are gonna be limited by their skills only. Well if thats the case, i might be able to make vrushless motors then!

Exactly. 🙂

Offline Mystic2000

• Utter Edgelord
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • Used to suck at IRL, probably still does.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1261 on: December 27, 2019, 07:12:48 PM »
the one thing that may be a tad concering, is that if there's no limits to the stats and stuff those components can have, what's preventing someone from having an invincible tinyaf brushless motor with more power than an E-Tek, or having some kind of giant SMEEEEEEE wedge with 3 trillions of HP, you may want some kind of limiters so that some people don't start making an arms race of making the dumbest, most overpowered sh**

oh and other thing, is there any way to fix the bug where the AI just goes in circles like an idiot when it drives over the closed pit ?
Robocraft Username: Bob5768
PSN Username: Bob5768

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1262 on: December 27, 2019, 07:33:36 PM »
the one thing that may be a tad concering, is that if there's no limits to the stats and stuff those components can have, what's preventing someone from having an invincible tinyaf brushless motor with more power than an E-Tek, or having some kind of giant SMEEEEEEE wedge with 3 trillions of HP, you may want some kind of limiters so that some people don't start making an arms race of making the dumbest, most overpowered sh**

oh and other thing, is there any way to fix the bug where the AI just goes in circles like an idiot when it drives over the closed pit ?

I dunno.  How do mods work in any other game?

I suppose people are free to create their own experience with the game as they see fit.  It is kind of self-limiting though.  A crazy powerful motor would be completely undrivable.  A piece with infinite health would quickly make the game trivial and pointless.  You could say the same thing about the millions of Super Mario Maker levels that are completely impossible.  That is part of the fun for some people.

For tournaments it is simple enough to give people a set of acceptable components.

As far as the AI question goes, I’m aware of it.  AI is going to take a complete rewrite as well, now that I (kind of) know what I’m doing.  We can’t begin to tackle AI until all of the inputs are ready.  Specifically the damage system.  AI needs to be smart enough to attack things intelligently, and this is entirely dependent on being able to see which components have what amount of damage.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1263 on: December 28, 2019, 02:56:52 AM »
I guess community will help, and maybe like in ra2, there would be a community hand picked pack with motors and stuff. Parts i persume could be tuned iingame currently with material selection and thickness selection

Oh i guess hou should put out an update where the small parts have collision out, and with decorative material (decorative is not necessary, but fixing small parts is urgent)

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1264 on: December 28, 2019, 07:10:08 AM »
I'm building the following changes:

[Added] Added a new armor material called "Decoration".  This material has very low density and almost zero strength.

[Changed] Reduced the hit point threshold for disabling colliders to 0.001 HP.

With the two changes above, it is now possible to "paint" a robot using shapes.  If a shape is assigned the "decoration" material its physics collider will be ignored and it will break off with its parent component.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 08:15:53 AM by cjbruce »

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1265 on: December 28, 2019, 08:12:19 AM »
The 28December build is up!

https://robot-rumble.itch.io/builds

This one should allow you to apply decorations without physics colliders. 

Next up is getting chassis armor plates to break off.

Enjoy!  :smile:

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1266 on: December 28, 2019, 10:01:13 AM »
The 28December build is up!

https://robot-rumble.itch.io/builds

This one should allow you to apply decorations without physics colliders. 

Next up is getting chassis armor plates to break off.

Enjoy!  :smile:

Oh this is actually pretty amazing
On the flip side
I genuinely dont think that you should use the weapon cylinder blur to register damage, it is inaccurate
Also when a part from a weapon falls off, seems like the collision is still there and it will still deal damage (even though ithe part is on the floor), that also does not cause the spinners to be unbalanced, as more parts fall off

Offline CodeSilver23

• RR2 Enthusiast and Design Innovator
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -2
  • Stars v Legends founder, Inventor of the Wheel-fix
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: CodeSilverGaming
« Reply #1267 on: December 28, 2019, 10:19:13 AM »
Yeah so ever since the 24th build when the weapon falls off, the blur is still there. Even worse, the blur does damage... at this point, I gotta decide between moon gravity and ghost spinners for SvL. I mean... I could always use October 10, but people probably won’t like that. I’m at a dilemma at this point.
Accomplishments:

Offline WhamettNuht

• Rep: 12
  • Robot Building Drag Queen
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: WhamettNuht #1457
« Reply #1268 on: December 28, 2019, 11:24:20 AM »
The decoration material is a brilliant idea!! My only suggestion would maybe be an additional Decorative_Steel (and maybe Polycarb) for small yet shiny/transparents decorations such as Rivets and Warning Lights :)
Damn I should probably put something fancy in this bit huh?

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1269 on: December 28, 2019, 11:46:12 AM »
The decoration material is a brilliant idea!! My only suggestion would maybe be an additional Decorative_Steel (and maybe Polycarb) for small yet shiny/transparents decorations such as Rivets and Warning Lights :)
I havent tested it yet but pls tell me that decorative material doesn't have that dreadful bumpmapping on itself like alu/uhmw/and poly

Offline WhamettNuht

• Rep: 12
  • Robot Building Drag Queen
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: WhamettNuht #1457
« Reply #1270 on: December 28, 2019, 01:05:03 PM »
I havent tested it yet but pls tell me that decorative material doesn't have that dreadful bumpmapping on itself like alu/uhmw/and poly

No bumpmap! It's very smooth and plain.
Damn I should probably put something fancy in this bit huh?

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1271 on: December 28, 2019, 02:06:14 PM »
Yeah so ever since the 24th build when the weapon falls off, the blur is still there. Even worse, the blur does damage... at this point, I gotta decide between moon gravity and ghost spinners for SvL. I mean... I could always use October 10, but people probably won’t like that. I’m at a dilemma at this point.

Shoot!  Let me look into this.  I definitely want to keep the spinners.  I just need to iron out the bugs like ghost spinners.  It shouldn’t be too hard.  I just need to find and fix all the wired edge cases.

What is the moon gravity issue?  Can you send me an .RR2Bot file to play with?

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1272 on: December 28, 2019, 02:21:23 PM »

Shoot!  Let me look into this.  I definitely want to keep the spinners.  I just need to iron out the bugs like ghost spinners.  It shouldn’t be too hard.  I just need to find and fix all the wired edge cases.

Moon gravity is nothing much really, its just an thing when you attach a wheel then the weapon on it

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1273 on: December 28, 2019, 03:36:24 PM »

Moon gravity is nothing much really, its just an thing when you attach a wheel then the weapon on it

I’m not sure I understand.  If you attach a wheel, there shouldn’t be a blur cylinder or any of the associated physics.  Does something weird happen when an object breaks off?

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1274 on: December 28, 2019, 04:09:42 PM »

I’m not sure I understand.  If you attach a wheel, there shouldn’t be a blur cylinder or any of the associated physics.  Does something weird happen when an object breaks off?
Im pretty sure that he means that the gyro is increased

Offline CyarSkirata

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1275 on: December 28, 2019, 07:29:50 PM »
I just tried out Panic Attack with the new decorative material. While it doesn't break its own physics anymore, and does have functional skirts, if it fights a complex opponent the problem returns. :(

So... Better, but still issues.
Stuff I Done Competed In:

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1276 on: December 28, 2019, 07:58:03 PM »
Im pretty sure that he means that the gyro is increased

Ohhh!  Now I understand what you are talking about!

The gyroscopic effects that we are seeing are a direct result of the high angular momentum of the spinners that we are making.  I put in a compensator called a “Spinner Mass Reducer” to reduce this effect and improve drivability for spinners.  If you add a wheel, a spinner mass reducer is not added, so you get the bad gyroscopic effects.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1277 on: December 28, 2019, 08:00:57 PM »
I just tried out Panic Attack with the new decorative material. While it doesn't break its own physics anymore, and does have functional skirts, if it fights a complex opponent the problem returns. :(

So... Better, but still issues.

Phew!  The rest is just a matter of tweaking numbers until it feels right.  My thought for the first draft of this is to compute object hit points based on the energy absorption capabilities of the part.  Something like 1 HP = 1 Joule

Offline Mouldy

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 4
  • Still can't make robots after 20 years.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: Mr.Kinch
« Reply #1278 on: December 28, 2019, 08:04:00 PM »
Is there a tutorial for how to get a bot going? Still not great with bot building after all this time :D

Edit: Oops, found one. Thanks Cyar <3

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1279 on: December 29, 2019, 06:57:03 AM »

Working on the blur cylinder problem now...