Poll

What do you like doing most in RA2/RA3/robot combat games?

Building robots
Local single player battles with manually-controlled robots
Local multiplayer battles  with manually-controlled robots (PvP with controllers or a shared keyboard)
AI-only tournament battles
Other?  Please comment below.

Author Topic: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development  (Read 190664 times)

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development
« Reply #1240 on: December 26, 2019, 08:20:16 AM »
So it looks like the automatic solution is working!

I set an arbitrary limit (5) on hit points.  Most of the robot's colliders are now disabled.  Time spent in physics has dropped significantly.

Moreover, when something big breaks off, it takes all of its tiny little decorations with it.  I will try to get something up for you guys to see today.

Maybe we can do another slider to control the number of hit points before a component becomes breakable in settings?

Please note that this is just a temporary fix.  It will only work for a single weight class.  Beetleweights have way fewer hit points, so the entire robot would be disabled.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1241 on: December 26, 2019, 08:52:35 AM »
Maybe we can do another slider to control the number of hit points before a component becomes breakable in settings?
Maybe an option like in gmod? This would be similar where You select all small parts, press group button and then select main part and press group to button, and then it would group stuff together. The collision would be there, unless you maybe check disable collision. I could draw up a mockup. It would be simpler then that slider i guess.

Oh yeah for the chassis hp. You said panels falling apart. Maybe atm just do like in older version where hp would decrease after a hit. Panel breaking could be implemented at a later time.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1242 on: December 26, 2019, 09:41:43 AM »
I put the collider disabling feature up as the 26December build.  I am seeing significantly reduced time spent doing physics calculations for Panic Attack.  Hopefully this makes robots work better across the board.

CyarSkirata, please let me know if this fixes the driving issues you were seeing before!

https://robot-rumble.itch.io/builds

EDIT:  With the smaller colliders disabled in this build, we are getting component grouping for free.  Things are breaking off as entire assemblies rather than as tiny little parts.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 10:57:23 AM by cjbruce »

Offline CyarSkirata

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1243 on: December 26, 2019, 11:42:40 AM »
The driving issues are just as bad as before, if not worse. D:
The skirts now come off way too easily too, just a couple of low speed collisions of the kind they're designed for can snap off the whole thing. And the part that actually runs on the floor doesn't have collisions, so makes the whole skirt pointless.
Stuff I Done Competed In:

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1244 on: December 26, 2019, 12:10:52 PM »
The driving issues are just as bad as before, if not worse. D:
The skirts now come off way too easily too, just a couple of low speed collisions of the kind they're designed for can snap off the whole thing. And the part that actually runs on the floor doesn't have collisions, so makes the whole skirt pointless.

Shoot! Need to work on things some more.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1245 on: December 26, 2019, 02:31:10 PM »
Ok so the new update is bad. It breaks robots with thin and small parts, it seems like you tried to do something with group coupling and it didnt really worked that well.
Can i recommend this? Its a longer thing so it is in spoiler below:

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1246 on: December 26, 2019, 02:58:11 PM »
Ok so the new update is bad. It breaks robots with thin and small parts, it seems like you tried to do something with group coupling and it didnt really worked that well.

Give me a bit to think about it. 

I think it is important to disable as many of the really small colliders as possible in order to minimize the CPU load. 

I think I would like a hybrid approach where you set a threshold and it shows you which parts are too small to add colliders.  With this approach you can always bump up the thickness or switch materials for a particular part to ensure its collider stays enabled.   

This would also allow you to do a bunch of parts really quickly, and reset things instantly. In the case of Panic Attack, this would make it possible to rapidly adjust over 100 small pieces.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1247 on: December 26, 2019, 03:09:54 PM »

I think I would like a hybrid approach where you set a threshold and it shows you which parts are too small to add colliders.  With this approach you can always bump up the thickness or switch materials for a particular part to ensure its collider stays enabled.
Tbh im not really a fan of this, lets say theoretically that you need a small part to be functional , but the game wont allow that because its too small. Atm the tip of the wedges for cyar's panic attack are not working as they dont have collision. Thats why i recommended that, and people over at RA2 central discord liked the idea. (we usually talk about rr2 improvements there)

Worst case scenario: Make a material called decorative, it would have a 0kg multiplier and it would remove collision, also it wouid be good because then it would fall off when the part that its connected to would fall off.

Im still liking my idea more, as then we could fix the issue where spinners with a lot of small parts would be fragile
There has been talks about the abuse of that where you could nocolide/group the whole bot
Now here are some solutions to that:
A: "can't group components to the chassis" and "can't group parts that aren't attached" seems like this would fix most issues
B: Limit the grouping of parts to 10 parts per group
C: If a part is on an axle, it could be only grouped to other parts on that specific axle
D: either boolean addition (grouping) or boolean subtraction (making holes)

Offline CodeSilver23

• RR2 Enthusiast and Design Innovator
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -2
  • Stars v Legends founder, Inventor of the Wheel-fix
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: CodeSilverGaming
« Reply #1248 on: December 26, 2019, 03:41:54 PM »
What if we added a workshop for components? What is made in that workshop could have combined hp, and you could also apply that part to multiple bots without having to do it all again. You could then share stuff like letters and logos with the community.
Accomplishments:

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1249 on: December 26, 2019, 04:26:36 PM »
What if we added a workshop for components? What is made in that workshop could have combined hp, and you could also apply that part to multiple bots without having to do it all again. You could then share stuff like letters and logos with the community.
Oh so like you can build a bar in there made out of multiple shapes then save it as a one shape?

Offline CodeSilver23

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #1250 on: December 26, 2019, 04:35:10 PM »
Oh so like you can build a bar in there made out of multiple shapes then save it as a one shape?
Exactly.
Accomplishments:

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1251 on: December 26, 2019, 06:32:42 PM »

That’s the idea behind the RR2 Component Modding Tool.  The big advantage to the tool is that you can do things that aren’t possible using the existing tool, like make game engine-optimized parts: a proper high-poly to low poly workflow + PBR texturing.  Building good-looking stuff with the existing in-game tools means that the parts are going to have way too many polygons and way too many physics colliders to be performant in the game.  I want the game to be playable on laptops.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1252 on: December 26, 2019, 06:44:19 PM »
Worst case scenario: Make a material called decorative, it would have a 0kg multiplier and it would remove collision, also it wouid be good because then it would fall off when the part that its connected to would fall off.

Im still liking my idea more, as then we could fix the issue where spinners with a lot of small parts would be fragile

Ooo!!!  Great idea! I can make a “decorative” material and get this up and running in very short order.

Lets try it first.  The rest is going to take some work.

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Rep: 10
  • -rep TheRoboteer. "queermint"
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Hoppin#0013
« Reply #1253 on: December 26, 2019, 06:52:57 PM »
I just think its a good idea to focus on producing the Component Modding Tool. It seems to produce a long term fix rather than a short that is gonna be changed later
Things I did & done

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1254 on: December 26, 2019, 07:07:58 PM »
I just think its a good idea to focus on producing the Component Modding Tool. It seems to produce a long term fix rather than a short that is gonna be changed later
Yeah i guess that should be a big focus rn

Offline CodeSilver23

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #1255 on: December 27, 2019, 02:34:58 PM »
I don’t know how well this would work, but with my current knowledge, couldn’t you create .partfiles kinda like what you do with the robots? Then you can share your designs that way. Also, all components you make or import could show up under custom weapons and custom extras. This is what I mainly had in mind.
Accomplishments:

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1256 on: December 27, 2019, 03:56:31 PM »
I don’t know how well this would work, but with my current knowledge, couldn’t you create .partfiles kinda like what you do with the robots? Then you can share your designs that way. Also, all components you make or import could show up under custom weapons and custom extras. This is what I mainly had in mind.

That’s the basic idea behind the RR2 Component Modding Tool.  We are starting work on it and the Arena Builder at the same time. 

The intent for the tools is for them to be separate Unity projects that you can use to create pretty much anything you want, export it as a unity assetbundle, then import it into the game.  The big advantages with this approach is that you will be able to create literally anything you want, limited only by your 3D modeling skills. 

Also, you should be able to use the new tools to create parts that are optimized for the game.  If you were to use our existing in-game tool to create an intricate compound assembly it is going to be extremely inefficient and run very slowly.  I am already having lots of problems trying to run Panic Attack on my laptop.  This isn’t the fault of the robot.  It is an amazing robot.  It is a problem with the tool which can’t handle making really complicated things that run efficiently.

I recommend using Blender to create things.  It’s free and has a massive open source development effort.  It already does everything people have asked for, and is the tool we have been using to create robot parts for the game,

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1257 on: December 27, 2019, 04:02:24 PM »

That’s the basic idea behind the RR2 Component Modding Tool.  We are starting work on it and the Arena Builder at the same time. 

The intent for the tools is for them to be separate Unity projects that you can use to create pretty much anything you want, export it as a unity assetbundle, then import it into the game.  The big advantages with this approach is that you will be able to create literally anything you want, limited only by your 3D modeling skills. 

Also, you should be able to use the new tools to create parts that are optimized for the game.  If you were to use our existing in-game tool to create an intricate compound assembly it is going to be extremely inefficient and run very slowly.  I am already having lots of problems trying to run Panic Attack on my laptop.  This isn’t the fault of the robot.  It is an amazing robot.  It is a problem with the tool which can’t handle making really complicated things that run efficiently.

I recommend using Blender to create things.  It’s free and has a massive open source development effort.  It already does everything people have asked for, and is the tool we have been using to create robot parts for the game,
Osh** we gonna make stuff in blender? Thats epic actually, i can make some good sh**

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1258 on: December 27, 2019, 04:33:09 PM »
I thought you might like the idea.  :smile:

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1259 on: December 27, 2019, 05:57:56 PM »
You say that people are gonna be limited by their skills only. Well if thats the case, i might be able to make vrushless motors then!