Poll

What do you like doing most in RA2/RA3/robot combat games?

Building robots
Local single player battles with manually-controlled robots
Local multiplayer battles  with manually-controlled robots (PvP with controllers or a shared keyboard)
AI-only tournament battles
Other?  Please comment below.

Author Topic: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development  (Read 187740 times)

Offline CodeSilver23

• RR2 Enthusiast and Design Innovator
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -2
  • Stars v Legends founder, Inventor of the Wheel-fix
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: CodeSilverGaming
Re: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development
« Reply #1060 on: October 26, 2019, 04:30:55 PM »
No, you’re right. It takes damage.
Accomplishments:

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1061 on: October 27, 2019, 12:41:44 AM »
Noticed that the robots when immobile and upside down seem to continuously slide around
I can't remember if I mentioned this already but the same goes for things like horizontal discs, you break one off and it goes sliding across the arena like a slow-motion hockey puck. I'm certain that one time I attacked a broken-off disc and it dealt damage to my opponent, but I haven't been able to replicate it so maybe I was mistaken.
You can damage the opponent if you hit a part that's been broken off

Offline Wambo

• Beetleweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1062 on: October 30, 2019, 07:36:25 PM »
I FIGURED OUT HOW TO FIX THE GLITCH!!! If you have a motor on a motor, attach a wheel to the second motor. Then you attach your weapon to the wheel. then BOOM! Now you have a saw bot.
Sorry for the lat reply. How long did you try different things? Thank you for finding a fix. This will be very helpful, but how did you get the Idea of putting on a wheel?

Offline CodeSilver23

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #1063 on: October 30, 2019, 10:05:31 PM »
I FIGURED OUT HOW TO FIX THE GLITCH!!! If you have a motor on a motor, attach a wheel to the second motor. Then you attach your weapon to the wheel. then BOOM! Now you have a saw bot.
Sorry for the lat reply. How long did you try different things? Thank you for finding a fix. This will be very helpful, but how did you get the Idea of putting on a wheel?
honestly, i am not 100% sure
Accomplishments:

Offline Wambo

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1064 on: November 06, 2019, 10:09:15 AM »
honestly, i am not 100% sure
Like that the blur will be gone, but I don't really mind it

Offline Mouldy

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 4
  • Still can't make robots after 20 years.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Mr.Kinch
« Reply #1065 on: November 18, 2019, 04:16:16 AM »
Oh damn, looks like this has been worked on a bit since last time. Nice one.

I'll get into it a little bit and see if I can host a test tournament or something.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1066 on: November 18, 2019, 04:45:22 AM »

I'll get into it a little bit and see if I can host a test tournament or something.
Enter my tournament instead ;)

Offline Mouldy

• Super Heavyweight
  • Still can't make robots after 20 years.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Mr.Kinch
« Reply #1067 on: November 18, 2019, 05:57:46 AM »

Enter my tournament instead ;)

You think I can build a robot in this day and age? Get out. I don't even build Garry's Wars bots anymore.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1068 on: November 27, 2019, 02:59:07 PM »
Ok so here are some thoughts after a month of playing the October 10th build:
The Positive:
- The damage has been improved by a good bit.
- There is no sudden limit on custom shapes that would occur so ayy thats great
- The Gearboxes are a godsend, you can really make more stuff more compact, and the bots can be a bit more slimmer
The Negative:
- As much as you have reduced the friction there is an issue where sliding exist, and its a bit too much
- The friction however didnt also fix the driving, even if we thought so. Main issue is that 2wd bots with wheels on the back will still bounce, the further behind the wheel is, the more bounce it has. It again seems that the pit lid that you can drive on untill it gets activated and descend has something to it that makes it perfect. The bots just dont bounce at all.
- If i play the game with 2 controllers, in settings there will be only one controller selected. You can change it so every person has its own controller controls, but after exiting the match, settings reset.
- Settings reset to stock. Music unmutes, unless you delete it in the game folder, The internal resolution reverts back to 1280X720 every time you enter or exit something.
- We need an option to both: Remove the dreadful texture on poly/UHMW/Alu material, and the option to make Alu/Steel parts be white. The only way atm is to set the RGB values from 1 to 2 in the rr2bot file.

With everything what i just said, i still play the game as its not as bad as it was 4 or 5 months ago, its actually pretty good. Its just that it needs improvements.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 06:20:54 PM by kix »

Offline Wambo

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1069 on: November 28, 2019, 08:54:28 AM »
Ok so here are some thoughts after a month of playing the October 10th build:
The Positive:
- The damage has been improved by a good bit.
- There is no sudden limit on custom shapes that would occur so ayy thats great
- The Gearboxes are a godsend, you can really make more stuff more compact, and the bots can be a bit more slimmer
The Negative:
- As much as you have reduced the friction there is an issue where sliding exist, and its a bit too much
- The friction however didnt also fix the driving, even if we thought so. Main issue is that 2wd bots with wheels on the back will still bounce, the further behind the wheel is, the more bounce it has. It again seems that the pit lid that you can drive on untill it gets activated and descend has something to it that makes it perfect. The bots just dont bounce at all.
- If i play the game with 2 controllers, in settings there will be only one controller selected. You can change it so every person has its own controller controls, but after exiting the match, settings reset.
- Settings reset to stock. Music unmutes, unless you delete it in the game folder, The internal resolution reverts back to 1280X720 every time you enter or exit something.
- We need an option to both: Remove the dreadful texture on poly/UHMW/Alu material, and the option to make Alu/Steel parts be white. The only way atm is to set the RGB values from 1 to 2 in the rr2bot file.

With everything what i just said, i still play the game as its not as bad as it was 4 or 5 months ago, its actually pretty good. Its just that it needs improvements.
Those are some good ideas. I'm already looking forward to what might come in the next build

Offline powerrave

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1070 on: December 01, 2019, 02:23:17 PM »
Been trying this out now and I'm wondering how to actually use the painter. Seen others with nicely colored bots, but no luck for me. Doesn't seem to paint much.
"Always be yourself, unless you're a loser"

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
  • Rep: 9
  • "I HATE SEBASTIAN COE!"
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: TheRoboteer#8784
« Reply #1071 on: December 01, 2019, 02:52:34 PM »
Been trying this out now and I'm wondering how to actually use the painter. Seen others with nicely colored bots, but no luck for me. Doesn't seem to paint much.
The painter doesn't really work. People have been colouring their bots by using the "tint" function when selecting material type, and then adding details using paper thin custom components
Notable Tournament Performances:
The Beginner's Guide to IRL:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/tutorials-and-tips/irl-a-beginner's-guide

Offline powerrave

• Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1072 on: December 01, 2019, 03:12:23 PM »
Oh alright. Thanks for the info.

Offline Team Lightning

• Addicted to combat robotics, good at annoying people, and wanting to get to -10000 rep XD.
  • Beetleweight
  • Rep: -4
  • Education is important, robots are importanter.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1073 on: December 02, 2019, 02:45:20 PM »
Hi! I had a glitch with a bot where its frame was designed like this:

Robot Rumble 2.0 12_2_2019 2_43_02 PM.png

and it looks like this any other time:

Robot Rumble 2.0 12_2_2019 2_43_29 PM.png

Here's the bot file:
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 03:55:18 PM by Team Lightning »

Offline F1Krazy

• Put me on a pedestal and I'll only disappoint you
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Tell me I'm exceptional, I promise to exploit you
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1074 on: December 16, 2019, 03:38:02 PM »
Hey, you know the turntable in the Robot Workshop? I think this was mentioned before, but its rotation speed is tied to the frame rate, right? Could you change that and make the speed constant? It was nice and slow on my old laptop, and on my brand-new rig it's comically fast. I'll have to see if I can get a recording.
My DSL Showcase

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1075 on: December 17, 2019, 04:13:41 AM »
Hey, you know the turntable in the Robot Workshop? I think this was mentioned before, but its rotation speed is tied to the frame rate, right? Could you change that and make the speed constant? It was nice and slow on my old laptop, and on my brand-new rig it's comically fast. I'll have to see if I can get a recording.
ATM, the workaround is to limit the fps in rivatune but its a really "eh" workaround

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1076 on: December 17, 2019, 11:33:51 AM »
Hey guys,

Its finals week here at school, so I've "final"ly had a chance to sit down and take a crack at a few things:

1. @tashic has been working on the mirroring function in the botlab.
2. We have (finally) nailed down the structure of robots and how they are reconstructed from the BotLab -> .RR2Bot file -> combat.  For this go-around the chain of component addition is preserved in combat.  This means when you hit something hard enough to destroy it, it and everything attached to it will break off together.  You can even proceed to bash composite robot assemblies apart into their individual components.

I've tested #1 and #2 above for heavyweights, and still need to make sure the above works with beetleweights.  I should be able to put something up in the next day or two.

@kix, sorry about the friction/driving.  I'm not sure if I have touched it in the last few months.  The Mental Breakdown you sent me doesn't drive so great anymore.  I think it also has weight issues too.  i.e. its plates are made from a material that will bust apart with very little effort.  i.e. I need to switch everything to 3 mm steel plate to see how that changes the driving.

Offline powerrave

• Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1077 on: December 17, 2019, 12:00:24 PM »
This makes me (and likely others too) very happy.

You lot are doing great work.

Offline CodeSilver23

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #1078 on: December 17, 2019, 12:10:27 PM »
Hey guys,

Its finals week here at school, so I've "final"ly had a chance to sit down and take a crack at a few things:

2. We have (finally) nailed down the structure of robots and how they are reconstructed from the BotLab -> .RR2Bot file -> combat.  For this go-around the chain of component addition is preserved in combat.  This means when you hit something hard enough to destroy it, it and everything attached to it will break off together.  You can even proceed to bash composite robot assemblies apart into their individual components.

I've tested #1 and #2 above for heavyweights, and still need to make sure the above works with beetleweights.  I should be able to put something up in the next day or two.

@kix, sorry about the friction/driving.  I'm not sure if I have touched it in the last few months.  The Mental Breakdown you sent me doesn't drive so great anymore.  I think it also has weight issues too.  i.e. its plates are made from a material that will bust apart with very little effort.  i.e. I need to switch everything to 3 mm steel plate to see how that changes the driving.
Hopefully, all submissions for the SvL tournament will still be functional... If not, I'll allow all entrants to send in new bots/ fix issues and resend them. Glad to have you back, cjbruce.
Accomplishments:

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1079 on: December 17, 2019, 12:24:01 PM »
Bruce youre alive ayy!
Kupatec and me have been snooping around the dll files, for curiosity sake, and kupa removed the parts falling off part, as a temp thing. Nothing to game breaking, or serious