Poll

What do you like doing most in RA2/RA3/robot combat games?

Building robots
Local single player battles with manually-controlled robots
Local multiplayer battles  with manually-controlled robots (PvP with controllers or a shared keyboard)
AI-only tournament battles
Other?  Please comment below.

Author Topic: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development  (Read 187732 times)

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development
« Reply #1020 on: September 19, 2019, 11:26:31 PM »
New Bleeding Edge Test Build is out!

http://www.robot-rumble.com/bleedingedgebuilds/

The latest versions are the 17SEPTEMBER2019 builds.

[Added] Gearboxes!  They take up a fair amount of space right now, but they should work.

This build is a stable build release candidate.  If the gearboxes have issues, we will release the 14September builds as the newest stable builds.  Our next step is reworking damage, which will involve breaking  A LOT of things.  This will be the last stable build before we start down this new path.

Well now that gearboxes are added i am obliged to test this when im home.
I do have few gripes with stuff
-This has been an issue since early days but, i really dislike the material surfaces, only exception is steel. Problem occurs when you stretch out a component to be very wide, and if its stretched out, the texture is stretched out too. Solution would be to make everything smooth like metal
- Another thing is inability to get white on all materials except UHMW. Idk how would it be fixed tho, because if we have the same colour but diff materials how would we differentiate them? Maybe different intensity of shine for each material
-Muting music never worked too. I have been able to remove music by deleting a file, but otherwise whenever i lower it down, and exit to menu, music turns on back

Offline CodeSilver23

• RR2 Enthusiast and Design Innovator
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -2
  • Stars v Legends founder, Inventor of the Wheel-fix
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: CodeSilverGaming
« Reply #1021 on: September 20, 2019, 07:30:32 AM »
No flat motor yet?
Accomplishments:

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1022 on: September 20, 2019, 08:02:11 AM »
No flat motor yet?

Not yet.  Our modeler is super busy with their day job ATM.

At this point we are trying to focus on getting the codebase up to speed.  Once all the code pieces are in place we should be able to shift over to creating content.

Offline CodeSilver23

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #1023 on: September 20, 2019, 08:27:49 AM »
No flat motor yet?

Not yet.  Our modeler is super busy with their day job ATM.

At this point we are trying to focus on getting the codebase up to speed.  Once all the code pieces are in place we should be able to shift over to creating content.
Lmao. For a second I thought you meant that your modeler is an actual ATM. Anyways, hope all goes well with everything!
Accomplishments:

Offline WhamettNuht

• Rep: 12
  • Robot Building Drag Queen
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: WhamettNuht #1457
« Reply #1024 on: September 20, 2019, 04:27:39 PM »
After playing the new build, I would happily say the gearboxes are perfect!! Brilliant work!!
Damn I should probably put something fancy in this bit huh?

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1025 on: September 20, 2019, 09:56:29 PM »
Just released the 17September build as a stable alpha build on itch.io:

https://robot-rumble.itch.io/builds

Here's the rundown of things we have done since the last stable build on 06August.  Please note that this stable build is the exact same build as the 17September bleeding edge build.

[Added] Added gearboxes.  They take up a fair amount of space right now, but they should work.
[Added] Added Date/Timestamp on main menu.  This should make isolating problems by build easier.
[Added] Added a free rotating hinge and a 90 degree hinge to "Extras" tab in bot lab.
[Added] Reworked the component placement restrictions: 1. Invalid placements are shown in red. 2. You can't attach components to electronics or batteries, unless you are placing electronics or batteries. 3. You can't attach components to motors/pistons/actuator bodies, only to the axle/rod/etc.

[Removed] Began commenting out damage code in preparation for new damage system.
[Removed] Eliminated the mass reduction used to stabilize high speed spinners.  The result is that high mass/high speed spinners are significantly more likely to go crazy, launching your robot around the arena.  Gyroscopic effects are now significant, and so are the effects due to the discrete nature of the physics engine (a.k.a. physics "explosions").  It doesn't nerf the damage in any way.  It just makes spinners harder to control.

[Bug Fix] Set all arena floors to Steel.  This should make driving and steering all robots significantly easier.
[Bug Fix] Eliminated Depth of Field postprocessing effect.  This was causing excessive blur in the robot workshop when working on beetleweight robots.
[Bug Fix] Fixed out of the arena not being called for all robots.
[Bug Fix] Fixed Bugglebots Arena pit glitches.
[Bug Fix] Reduced AI memory garbage creation.

[Tweaked] Removed cyan tints for steel and aluminum.
[Tweaked] Adjusted friction coefficients to the following:

Aluminum: 0.4
Polycarbonate: 0.2
Rubber: 0.9
Steel: 0.3
UHMW: 0.05
MDF: 0.3

Offline Wambo

• Beetleweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1026 on: September 23, 2019, 10:31:24 AM »
You have done areally good job, getting all of this working well. Can't wait to see the new damage system!

Offline Oglington Rinseworthy

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1027 on: September 30, 2019, 03:24:07 AM »
Question: I am currently half way through building a fairly part heavy design and I seem to have reached a point where I am unable to make anymore custom parts. Is this an intentional limit or is it a bug? if it is a bug has anyone found a way round it?

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1028 on: September 30, 2019, 03:41:11 AM »
Im pretty sure it's a bug. I remember making a bot with 3 parts, and i couldn't make a 4th custom one

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1029 on: September 30, 2019, 03:51:14 AM »
good to know im not alone. thanks

Offline Tashic

« Reply #1030 on: October 04, 2019, 06:32:00 AM »
Question: I am currently half way through building a fairly part heavy design and I seem to have reached a point where I am unable to make anymore custom parts. Is this an intentional limit or is it a bug? if it is a bug has anyone found a way round it?

It's a bug, there isn't supposed to be a limit.
Can I have the robot file to find the cause of the problem?

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1031 on: October 04, 2019, 01:20:03 PM »

It's a bug, there isn't supposed to be a limit.
Can I have the robot file to find the cause of the problem?

of, course you can. If its fixable can I have the copy back again please? really wanting to finish it.

Here: 

Thank you
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 04:34:38 PM by Oglington Rinseworthy »

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1032 on: October 09, 2019, 01:58:47 PM »
Whats up with the resolution? If i play at 1080p it looks like its 720p and with lot of aliasing, and if i play on 4k it also looks like 720p, but now with black birs on side, like its on a non widescreen format

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1033 on: October 11, 2019, 11:17:33 AM »
New Bleeding Edge Build!

RR2-Windows-10October2019-Alpha-Build
RR2-MacOS-10October2019-Alpha-Build.app

http://www.robot-rumble.com/bleedingedgebuilds/

[Added] Belts and chains can now be stacked.  The usable output axle will be the one on the last transmission component in the stack.
[Bug Fix] Fixed a problem when saving a custom shape.  Sometimes an ID was assigned that was already in use which didn't allow the shape to be saved.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1034 on: October 11, 2019, 11:21:10 AM »
Whats up with the resolution? If i play at 1080p it looks like its 720p and with lot of aliasing, and if i play on 4k it also looks like 720p, but now with black birs on side, like its on a non widescreen format

Hmm... We shouldn't have changed anything recently with screen resolutions.  Is this a recent change?

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1035 on: October 11, 2019, 12:13:58 PM »
It has been an issue for a while now, but recently, 4k is now gone to sh**
EDIT: Windowed mode apparently runs at full res
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 02:45:36 PM by kix »

Offline BATTLEMASTER

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1036 on: October 13, 2019, 07:43:22 AM »
Greetings!  I've been following this game for a few months now and have tested several of the releases.  I really like the way things have come along.  There's been a huge improvement over weapon impacts and driving.  I'm looking forward to more damage effects making it in.

I really love how open-ended customization is.  It's what I wish RA2 was from the beginning!  Keep up the good work!

Offline Saroder

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1037 on: October 13, 2019, 02:41:26 PM »
Hello,
(My English is far from being really good so I'll do my best but if something I write can't be understood please let me know it, I'll try to make it clearer...)

List of a few annoying bugs or missing things developers and testers should know.

In the lab :
-There are pistons but in "power/tanks" it's empty.
-When you select an item in order to modify a robot, you don't see it's name anywhere (the name of the selected part) so you can't know what it was if you don't know it yet...
-New testers can't (at list with 17 September alpha release) select any robot and start a battle without creating by hand the empty directory C:\Users\User\AppData\LocalLow\Nerd Island Studios LLC\Robot Rumble 2.0\Robots
-Robots you put in this directory (C:\Users\User\AppData\LocalLow\Nerd Island Studios LLC\Robot Rumble 2.0\Robots) can be found but (maybe on purpose) you can't find built in robots anywhere (so it looks like there's a gas tank in Earthquakev1 but you cant edit a copy of the robot to use the tank...)
-About previous line, wouldn't you make possible to export a built in robot to .rr2bot file and more important, won't you make possible to save/export an item/part of a bot somewhere, like in "custom" items for example in order to use it in your own creations ?

In the arena :
It looks that hard crashes of (buggy) bots, when one would probably throw the other one on planet mars (or Jupiter) just bring you from the battle to main menu without any warning or explanation.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1038 on: October 13, 2019, 04:50:33 PM »
-Robots you put in this directory (C:\Users\User\AppData\LocalLow\Nerd Island Studios LLC\Robot Rumble 2.0\Robots) can be found but (maybe on purpose) you can't find built in robots anywhere (so it looks like there's a gas tank in Earthquakev1 but you cant edit a copy of the robot to use the tank...)
I think that devs are actually more interesting in perfecting stuff for user built bots, than prebuilt ones

Offline CodeSilver23

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #1039 on: October 13, 2019, 05:09:52 PM »
Welcome, Saroder! I think I could answer some of these questions for you.
- the reason as to why there are no tanks is because it has not yet been incorporated into the game, as it is still in early development.
- More often than not, it’s fairly easy for most people to know what is what, so that is probably why it doesn’t show it.
- The directory is just for the bots that you’ve created. If you are needing some bots to use, I could send some files your way. You’ll just need to place them in said directory for it to work.
- The reason why you cant edit bots like Earthquake is because they were made via CAD software, iirc.
- You are able to import and export bot files, that is what the directory is for. On the other hand, we are not yet able to export custom components, but maybe in the future.
- Again, RR2 is in early development, so these crashes will likely become less frequent within the next few updates.
Hope you found this helpful
Accomplishments: