Poll

What do you like doing most in RA2/RA3/robot combat games?

Building robots
Local single player battles with manually-controlled robots
Local multiplayer battles  with manually-controlled robots (PvP with controllers or a shared keyboard)
AI-only tournament battles
Other?  Please comment below.

Author Topic: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development  (Read 187665 times)

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development
« Reply #1000 on: September 14, 2019, 11:17:40 AM »
New Bleeding Edge Test Build is out!

http://www.robot-rumble.com/bleedingedgebuilds/

The latest versions are the 14SEPTEMBER2019 builds.

Two things for this build:

1. [Bug Fix] Eliminated Depth of Field postprocessing effect.  This was causing excessive blur in the robot workshop when working on beetleweight robots.
2. [Tweaked] Adjusted friction coefficients to the following:

Aluminum: 0.4
Polycarbonate: 0.2
Rubber: 0.9
Steel: 0.3
UHMW: 0.05
MDF: 0.3

With this fix, friction coefficients are pretty close to their real-life values.  Robots should now skid much more believably.

Let me know if driving feels good with the 14SEPTEMBER build.  If so, we can finally start working on damage.  :gunz:

Ok so...
Friction is amazing, its working perfeclty
As for the damage... Maybe add a button where you can make a component invincible? That would be great for battles, also not a bad thing before the damage stuff gets added, because fully invincible bots are eh in my opinion

Offline Redalert

• The inventor of Wandering Spinners and invincirammers
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -48
  • Yes, I’m an outsider.
    • View Profile
    • RedStorm's RA2 website
    • Awards
  • Discord: RedStorm
« Reply #1001 on: September 14, 2019, 01:08:05 PM »
Okay...
First off- you improved the game immensely.

Only thing is- I built an itty bitty vs, and this weird “bubble” formed around the weapon, and caused the bot to flip around the arena. It didn’t do that with any pulleys attached to it, but when I directly added the spinner on to the motor shaft, uh oh.

This shouldn’t be too big of a fix... It’s just a minor that needs tweaking.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1002 on: September 14, 2019, 01:18:06 PM »
Only thing is- I built an itty bitty vs, and this weird “bubble” formed around the weapon, and caused the bot to flip around the arena. It didn’t do that with any pulleys attached to it, but when I directly added the spinner on to the motor shaft, uh oh.

This shouldn’t be too big of a fix... It’s just a minor that needs tweaking.

Drat.  Was this a custom shape you used for the weapon?

Offline WhamettNuht

• Rep: 12
  • Robot Building Drag Queen
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: WhamettNuht #1457
« Reply #1003 on: September 14, 2019, 05:02:09 PM »
Opinion from new build:

Driving? Perfect.

Blur when zoomed? Perfect.

My only thing to report is when I did a few test matches, my first two where between my Thor & Kan Opener replicas, and the first two fights lasted maybe like 30 seconds, then it would spaz (the spinner in the test arena would do that thing from a few builds back where materials where black with a white glow) and then throw me back to the main screen. But after the third replay with them, it was absolutely fine, as was all other test fights.

Cannot wait for damage to be fixed next!! :D
Damn I should probably put something fancy in this bit huh?

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
  • Rep: 9
  • "I HATE SEBASTIAN COE!"
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: TheRoboteer#8784
« Reply #1004 on: September 14, 2019, 05:28:26 PM »
Seconding Wham. Driving feels great in the new patch.
Notable Tournament Performances:
The Beginner's Guide to IRL:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/tutorials-and-tips/irl-a-beginner's-guide

Offline Wambo

• Beetleweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1005 on: September 15, 2019, 08:48:49 AM »
This new build is the best, you have ever released. I think, that you're done with all the bug fixing good job! Maybe focus on some of the work in progress stuff next?

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1006 on: September 15, 2019, 09:09:48 AM »
Thanks for all of your feedback!  I think we will push this one out as an official stable release on itch.io, then start work on the new features.  Any last requests before then?

Offline WhamettNuht

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1007 on: September 15, 2019, 09:38:07 AM »
Thanks for all of your feedback!  I think we will push this one out as an official stable release on itch.io, then start work on the new features.  Any last requests before then?

-A few more shapes for use in Extra's & Weapons - mainly a ring and Taurus (to create wheel tyres) and maybe some letters?
-A flatter spin motor
-Some smaller motors & burst for featherweights (and the burst to be useable as a lifting burst for the heavys)

But they might just be more work in progress aha ;P xD

Otherwise, my only other thing to mention would be that the pit in the Bugglebots arena doesn't descend. That would be it.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1008 on: September 15, 2019, 09:44:34 AM »
option to make parts indestructible

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1009 on: September 15, 2019, 09:47:04 AM »

-A few more shapes for use in Extra's & Weapons - mainly a ring and Taurus (to create wheel tyres) and maybe some letters?
-A flatter spin motor
-Some smaller motors & burst for featherweights (and the burst to be useable as a lifting burst for the heavys)

Otherwise, my only other thing to mention would be that the pit in the Bugglebots arena doesn't descend. That would be it.

I wasn’t planning to do any new shapes or features for this stable release, just bug fixes.  Everything above requires testing and tweaking.

The pit should be fixed though.  It has a swinging mechanism, rather than the descent mechanism of the full sized arena.  I was thinking that I should probably tweak the Bugglebots pit floor to make it smoother though.

Offline F1Krazy

• Put me on a pedestal and I'll only disappoint you
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 4
  • Tell me I'm exceptional, I promise to exploit you
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #1010 on: September 15, 2019, 09:47:30 AM »
Yes to the ring and torus, but a hard no on the letters. I've been playing Automation for a few years, and when you put make/model names on the back of your car, you have to manually position each letter and try and get the sizes and spacings exactly right, and it's a colossal pain in the ass. I'd much prefer the ability to position a text box on one of the robot's faces and then type in the text. Much easier.
My DSL Showcase

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1011 on: September 15, 2019, 09:50:45 AM »

Oof.  This one is hard.  It will require working on the backend code as well as coming up with the UI on the front end.  Then it will need testing.

Is it worth it if it takes a few more weeks/months?  I don’t imagine that we would want this in the released game...

Offline Thyrus

• Rep: 19
  • Back to purple '17
    • http://www.youtube.com/Th
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1012 on: September 15, 2019, 09:58:54 AM »
is it just my version that has bubblegum spazz around? And both Crab bots just sliding over the arenafloor? and Manta killing itself by exploding sometimes? There has happend too much in this thread to read it all and to be up to date with known bugs and glitches. As of now it feels like there are 4 heavys working as intended with Faust, Earthquake, TR3 and Royal Bobby

Idk if I patched the game correctly with the latest fix. I was using the August 29 version and just pasted all the stuff in the folder with the same name like you did with RA2 back in the day

Offline Wambo

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1013 on: September 15, 2019, 10:08:33 AM »
My requests are: letters as shapes, being able to power a spinner with multiple motors and CAD support.

Offline Wambo

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1014 on: September 15, 2019, 10:10:00 AM »

-A flatter spin motor

Defenitely some good ideas!

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1015 on: September 15, 2019, 10:26:25 AM »

Oof.  This one is hard.  It will require working on the backend code as well as coming up with the UI on the front end.  Then it will need testing.

Is it worth it if it takes a few more weeks/months?  I don’t imagine that we would want this in the released game...

Maybe add a tick option when you select a part in the materials section? It should not be that extra difficult to add indestructibility so yeah, few weeks/month is gucci, ofc we dont want to have this in final release because by then we will have functional damage i guess

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1016 on: September 15, 2019, 11:12:13 AM »
is it just my version that has bubblegum spazz around? And both Crab bots just sliding over the arenafloor? and Manta killing itself by exploding sometimes? There has happend too much in this thread to read it all and to be up to date with known bugs and glitches. As of now it feels like there are 4 heavys working as intended with Faust, Earthquake, TR3 and Royal Bobby

Idk if I patched the game correctly with the latest fix. I was using the August 29 version and just pasted all the stuff in the folder with the same name like you did with RA2 back in the day

Oh no!  Sorry about that!  We don’t have a patching system in place right now.  I’m not sure what effects you will get when using the method you used.  The latest version is the 14SEPTEMBER.

As far as the premade robots go, you are correct.  I haven’t done any tweaking at all.  They are all built from scratch outside of the botlab, and require manual tuning.  It will probably take a few days to go through each of them to make sure they drive properly.

Bubblegum is my personal nightmare.  So much mass spinning so quickly makes it extremely hard to tune.

For some reason Beetle Crab (and the Crabsolutely to a lesser extent) is also posing a problem.  I think it is due to artifacts caused by the long massive arms tugging on the relatively smaller body.  I’m honestly at a loss right now on how to fix it, but I think getting floor friction sorted out will remove at least one variable.

Offline Thyrus

• Rep: 19
  • Back to purple '17
    • http://www.youtube.com/Th
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1017 on: September 15, 2019, 11:15:14 AM »
I did it that way cause there was no .exe I could use. It worked fine I think as driving felt better than I remember. Only tested Faust tho

Offline WhamettNuht

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1018 on: September 15, 2019, 03:51:20 PM »
Literally just remembered - I do have maybe one useful request, which is to have some of the functions in the bot lab useable with keyboard shortcuts - so like,
Single Copy: C
Multi Copy: D
Delete: Del
Move: M
Rotate: R
Scale: S

I feel like doing that would make working on robots a lot more streamlined.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1019 on: September 19, 2019, 08:55:55 PM »
New Bleeding Edge Test Build is out!

http://www.robot-rumble.com/bleedingedgebuilds/

The latest versions are the 17SEPTEMBER2019 builds.

[Added] Gearboxes!  They take up a fair amount of space right now, but they should work.

This build is a stable build release candidate.  If the gearboxes have issues, we will release the 14September builds as the newest stable builds.  Our next step is reworking damage, which will involve breaking  A LOT of things.  This will be the last stable build before we start down this new path.