Poll

What do you like doing most in RA2/RA3/robot combat games?

Building robots
Local single player battles with manually-controlled robots
Local multiplayer battles  with manually-controlled robots (PvP with controllers or a shared keyboard)
AI-only tournament battles
Other?  Please comment below.

Author Topic: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development  (Read 187646 times)

Offline Tashic

Re: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development
« Reply #980 on: September 07, 2019, 09:09:11 AM »
Ok, I fixed the problem that caused the messed up position of components while scaling.
In future builds, scaling should be like in previous builds.

Offline F1Krazy

• Put me on a pedestal and I'll only disappoint you
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 4
  • Tell me I'm exceptional, I promise to exploit you
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #981 on: September 07, 2019, 10:11:06 AM »
Talking about the pit floor though - I have found that when AI bots drive over the closed pit, they then take to driving in endless circles like they've lost all other bots and dunno where to go? It's not until I push them away off of it that they go back to fighting normally.

This sounds like an issue with hazard detection/avoidance. They might be treating the closed pit as a hazard area, and then panicking once they're on top of it, because they know to avoid hazard areas but don't know what to do when inside one...? Idk, just spitballing. Certainly needs to be looked into.
My DSL Showcase

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #982 on: September 07, 2019, 01:19:15 PM »
Talking about the pit floor though - I have found that when AI bots drive over the closed pit, they then take to driving in endless circles like they've lost all other bots and dunno where to go? It's not until I push them away off of it that they go back to fighting normally.

This sounds like an issue with hazard detection/avoidance. They might be treating the closed pit as a hazard area, and then panicking once they're on top of it, because they know to avoid hazard areas but don't know what to do when inside one...? Idk, just spitballing. Certainly needs to be looked into.
This is actually an issue since 2.01 build

Another thing that should be looked into is the damage. If a spinner hits a weapon/wheel on an axle it will:
-Do its thing and send the bot flying
-Lose weapon momentum completely like hitting a wall

Latter happens most of the time

Offline Wambo

• Beetleweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #983 on: September 08, 2019, 06:41:04 AM »
I played the new bleeding build and 2 WD robots are still a bit hard to drive. Can you reduce the friction more?

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #984 on: September 08, 2019, 07:55:01 AM »
I played the new bleeding build and 2 WD robots are still a bit hard to drive. Can you reduce the friction more?
Its really not friction as its the floor having terrible stats, try driving 2wd bots over the pit and you will see that they are driving good

Offline KingofKings696

• Antweight
  • Rep: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #985 on: September 10, 2019, 02:03:43 PM »
Goofing around tries putting 90 hinge on spinner to see if I could get the teeth to still hit but flex to keep spun up better and it still causes the same issue I was having before with overheads and having no rpm for some reason

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #986 on: September 11, 2019, 04:18:35 PM »
Few things you should consider doing:
The arena floor ofc, but thats sorted as far as i know?
Check the 3inch wheels, they glitch out
This could be an idea:

Offline CodeSilver23

• RR2 Enthusiast and Design Innovator
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -2
  • Stars v Legends founder, Inventor of the Wheel-fix
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
    • Awards
  • Discord: CodeSilverGaming
« Reply #987 on: September 11, 2019, 06:09:01 PM »
A few ideas:
- tutorial. I’ve been planning on making one for yt but haven’t gotten around to it yet. Maybe have one built into the game when it gets released? From what I’ve seen, A Heap Of Games along with others have no clue how to build anything.
- Chassis list. Maybe have multiple pre-made options for chassis along with the build-your-own option could definitely make it more user-friendly.
-Flamethrowers. Because why not?
- Decals. Obviously, the painter will need to be useable first, but decals would definitely be a nice edition.
- visual damage. Robot Champions’ visual damage gives me wet dreams, and I feel others would say the same.
- timed matches. It’s annoying to see a five minute ai push battle. Obviously would need a judging system.
Accomplishments:

Offline Wambo

• Beetleweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #988 on: September 12, 2019, 10:40:56 AM »
A few ideas:
- tutorial. I’ve been planning on making one for yt but haven’t gotten around to it yet. Maybe have one built into the game when it gets released? From what I’ve seen, A Heap Of Games along with others have no clue how to build anything.
- Chassis list. Maybe have multiple pre-made options for chassis along with the build-your-own option could definitely make it more user-friendly.
-Flamethrowers. Because why not?
- Decals. Obviously, the painter will need to be useable first, but decals would definitely be a nice edition.
- visual damage. Robot Champions’ visual damage gives me wet dreams, and I feel others would say the same.
- timed matches. It’s annoying to see a five minute ai push battle. Obviously would need a judging system.
Those are some great Ideas! I have another one: I would like to power a weapon with multiple motors like a lot of the builders at Battlebots do.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #989 on: September 12, 2019, 03:27:37 PM »
Just put the finishing touches on a few bug fixes.  I should be able to push them to bleeding edge builds tomorrow once Cloud Build is done:

1. Fixed the floor surface friction coefficient for all arenas.
2. Fixed OOTA not being called by any robots.
3. Fixed the Bugglebots pit glitches.
4. Fixed the scaling problem that Arcane pointed out a few posts back.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #990 on: September 12, 2019, 04:06:29 PM »
Just put the finishing touches on a few bug fixes.  I should be able to push them to bleeding edge builds tomorrow once Cloud Build is done:

Axles are also fixed to be non breakable on belts?

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #991 on: September 12, 2019, 07:10:00 PM »

Axles are also fixed to be non breakable on belts?

Not yet.  I will try to squeeze it in tomorrow morning if I can.

Offline CodeSilver23

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #992 on: September 12, 2019, 07:11:19 PM »
Flame?  heck
Accomplishments:

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #993 on: September 13, 2019, 11:17:39 AM »
Did you guys added component damage again?
The disc of a bot fell out and after i hit it, bot lost hp

EDIT: Tested it and after certain hits, HP of the component goes to 0 and hits after that damage the chassis

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #994 on: September 13, 2019, 02:56:39 PM »
New Bleeding Edge Test Build is out!

http://www.robot-rumble.com/bleedingedgebuilds/

The latest versions are the 13SEPTEMBER2019 builds.

This new build has the fixes described a few posts back:

1. Bug Fix - Set the floor surface physics material back to "Steel" for all arenas.  It was inadvertently set to "rubber" a few builds ago when I was playing with different forms of collision detection in an attempt to optimize CPU usage.
2. Bug Fix - Fixed OOTA not being called by any robots.
3. Bug Fix - Fixed the Bugglebots pit glitches.
4. Bug Fix - Fixed the scaling problem that Arcane pointed out a few posts back.

I haven't had a chance to look at the breakability of spinning components yet, but I wanted to make sure you guys had all of the bug fixes in place over the weekend.

Now that the arena surfaces are back to being steel (they were inadvertently set to be "rubber"), everything feels a little slippery to me, especially the version of Mental Breakdown I got from kix, which was already incredibly responsive even with rubber floors.  Mental Breakdown feels almost uncontrollably fast with the keyboard. 

How do you guys feel about the friction coefficient of the steel floors combined with a steel chassis?  Too slippery?

Offline CodeSilver23

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #995 on: September 13, 2019, 02:58:43 PM »
You should probably increase the friction, as you decreased it before when you were trying to fix the floor issue.
Accomplishments:

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #996 on: September 13, 2019, 03:04:13 PM »
Did you guys added component damage again?
The disc of a bot fell out and after i hit it, bot lost hp

EDIT: Tested it and after certain hits, HP of the component goes to 0 and hits after that damage the chassis

I haven't done much with damage.  I wanted to get driving to be stable first.

Let me know if you guys think driving feels good.  If so, I'll start working on damage.  If not, lets get driving to the point where it feels great first.

I think the damage strategy is going to be as follows:

1. Comment out all existing damage code.  We should start with a blank slate, with all robots being completely invincible.
2. Add damage types back in one at a time. 
3. Each time we add a new damage type we will put out a bleeding edge build for testing.  If it feels good, we'll keep it.  If it feels bad, we'll remove it.  If it doesn't make any difference at all to game feel, then we'll remove it.  Complicated = bad.  Fewer damage types = good.

Offline WhamettNuht

• Rep: 12
  • Robot Building Drag Queen
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: WhamettNuht #1457
« Reply #997 on: September 13, 2019, 03:54:46 PM »
Feedback from playing the new build:

-The Bugglebots arena pit is fixed. Yay! Although now I do find bots get caught on it easily if they have a wedge. And some of them when they do tend to bounce away from it (like a pinball buffer).

-Scaling problem has been fixed. Thank god!

-The OOTA are now being registered. Now to make the bots know that they don't need to go near those areas or follow a robot once they've been eliminated! But baby steps, eh?

-The arena floor is interesting. In some cases, it is really good. Previously my Eruption replica would just barely move or turn, now it is actually mobile. But then there's other bots who have turned into Robot Combat on Ice (watching Diotoir fight was.... entertaining). To be honest I feel like half of that could be down to some bits being too fast - something the gearboxes or some new motors could fix. In my honest opinion, if there was some kind of 'purgatory' material between Rubber and Steel, then that would be perfect, otherwise I'd say the steel is miles better. If anything, it challenges our driving - just like the real robots do! (They are a serious bitch to drive lol).
Damn I should probably put something fancy in this bit huh?

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #998 on: September 13, 2019, 04:09:17 PM »
Let me know if you guys think driving feels good.  If so, I'll start working on damage.  If not, lets get driving to the point where it feels great first.
The Driving is almost perfect. I am certainly sure that you need to add friction tho. A lot of it, currently everything is too slidey

I think the damage strategy is going to be as follows:

1. Comment out all existing damage code.  We should start with a blank slate, with all robots being completely invincible.
2. Add damage types back in one at a time. 
3. Each time we add a new damage type we will put out a bleeding edge build for testing.  If it feels good, we'll keep it.  If it feels bad, we'll remove it.  If it doesn't make any difference at all to game feel, then we'll remove it.  Complicated = bad.  Fewer damage types = good.
1. Deffo make the chassis damagable. Maybe add an option where a component can be damagable or not for temporary time until you add proper damage?
2,3 i agree

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #999 on: September 14, 2019, 08:59:11 AM »
New Bleeding Edge Test Build is out!

http://www.robot-rumble.com/bleedingedgebuilds/

The latest versions are the 14SEPTEMBER2019 builds.

Two things for this build:

1. [Bug Fix] Eliminated Depth of Field postprocessing effect.  This was causing excessive blur in the robot workshop when working on beetleweight robots.
2. [Tweaked] Adjusted friction coefficients to the following:

Aluminum: 0.4
Polycarbonate: 0.2
Rubber: 0.9
Steel: 0.3
UHMW: 0.05
MDF: 0.3

With this fix, friction coefficients are pretty close to their real-life values.  Robots should now skid much more believably.

Let me know if driving feels good with the 14SEPTEMBER build.  If so, we can finally start working on damage.  :gunz: