Poll

What do you like doing most in RA2/RA3/robot combat games?

Building robots
Local single player battles with manually-controlled robots
Local multiplayer battles  with manually-controlled robots (PvP with controllers or a shared keyboard)
AI-only tournament battles
Other?  Please comment below.

Author Topic: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development  (Read 187532 times)

Offline Wambo

• Beetleweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development
« Reply #960 on: August 31, 2019, 05:31:17 AM »
I tried to attach a spinner to a hinge and built something like Monsoon. The spinner doesn't really hit the opponent and is a bit Buggy. Just a small minor thing.
I also have noticed, that the background music is overlapping. When I go in the botlab, the title screen music and the botlab music play at the same time.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #961 on: August 31, 2019, 05:42:15 AM »
I tried to attach a spinner to a hinge and built something like Monsoon. The spinner doesn't really hit the opponent and is a bit Buggy. Just a small minor thing.
I also have noticed, that the background music is overlapping. When I go in the botlab, the title screen music and the botlab music play at the same time.

Just remove music haha

Also maybe add FPS limiter?

Offline CodeSilver23

• RR2 Enthusiast and Design Innovator
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -2
  • Stars v Legends founder, Inventor of the Wheel-fix
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: CodeSilverGaming
« Reply #962 on: August 31, 2019, 07:59:47 AM »
I’ve noticed that when you attach a Spinning weapon to either a second motor, a piston, or a hinge, the weapon just glitches and phases through everything. Might want to check it out. It’s been like this for the past few updates from what I’ve seen.
Accomplishments:

Offline Wambo

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #963 on: August 31, 2019, 12:22:18 PM »
I don't know what's wrong with the music. Sometimes it's fine and sometimes it's overlapping.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #964 on: August 31, 2019, 09:22:33 PM »

Thank you for noticing it.  I haven’t done much testing with multiple chained hinge joints to see how it would affect a spinner collider.  It needs to work well — I will try it this week.

Offline Wambo

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #965 on: September 01, 2019, 06:19:23 AM »

Thank you for noticing it.  I haven’t done much testing with multiple chained hinge joints to see how it would affect a spinner collider.  It needs to work well — I will try it this week.
Great! I will be able to make Monsoon ripoffs!

Offline Witherana

• The Man
  • Antweight
  • Hm, what am i doing here
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #966 on: September 03, 2019, 01:03:40 AM »
Hey, ive tried a tantrum design and the spinner kinda like doesnt spin up. Also ive found out that my spinners stop easily on impact and i dont like that. Also i would love to see a motor with allot of torque so you can spin like massive deep six clones up to a good speed. And maybe a motor that does like 10000 rpm but has like not allot of power.
Been doing this for 8 years...

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #967 on: September 03, 2019, 06:40:31 PM »
Hey, ive tried a tantrum design and the spinner kinda like doesnt spin up. Also ive found out that my spinners stop easily on impact and i dont like that. Also i would love to see a motor with allot of torque so you can spin like massive deep six clones up to a good speed. And maybe a motor that does like 10000 rpm but has like not allot of power.

Have you tried using a pulley?  None of the larger motors have any gearing.  It might take some tweaking, but you should be able to get a weapon that spins up.

Also, make sure your weapon doesn’t rest on the floor.

Lastly, no motors in existence could get a Deep Six sized weapon up to 10,000 RPM.  At that RPM, the weapon would be supersonic.  I have modeled this in game by increasing air drag exponentially as you approach Mach 1.  Edit:  We did put in an ME0708.  It has about as much power as you are going to see in a heavyweight.  You can gear it for high torque with pulleys or chains, but you will be trading off top speed when you do it.

Offline Wambo

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #968 on: September 05, 2019, 07:49:35 AM »
I would like the rack - and pinion Piston to be less powerful. I built an axe bot using this and it jumps up really high, when it fires the axe.

Offline WhamettNuht

• Rep: 12
  • Robot Building Drag Queen
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: WhamettNuht #1457
« Reply #969 on: September 05, 2019, 09:34:29 AM »
I would like the rack - and pinion Piston to be less powerful. I built an axe bot using this and it jumps up really high, when it fires the axe.

I think systems like those are still in development. The same pretty much happens with the hinged actuator.
Damn I should probably put something fancy in this bit huh?

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #970 on: September 05, 2019, 12:56:19 PM »

I think systems like those are still in development. The same pretty much happens with the hinged actuator.

Yup.  I haven’t done the math on any of the rotating actuators yet.  Time for some research....

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #971 on: September 05, 2019, 03:21:23 PM »
New Bleeding Edge Test Build is out:

http://www.robot-rumble.com/bleedingedgebuilds/

This one is called 05September2019, and contains the following minor updates:

• Eliminated a source of garbage in the miniscript handler we built for the game (not in Miniscript itself!).  This should reduce stuttering due to garbage collection for user-created robots.  kix, I believe this is the source of the jankiness you were seeing for the past few builds.  Let me know if it is still there!
  • Began work on generalizing components scripts with the end goal of creating user-tweakable gearboxes.
  • Removed the really annoying cyan-tinted albedo texture from steel and aluminum.  This should make it easier to match colors.
  • Reduced friction on all physics materials except for rubber.  Hopefully this makes robots easier to drive and more realistic.  Please let me know if things can slide easily enough.  I can reduce friction a little more if it is necessary.
  • Eliminated the ability to break off objects.  This is in preparation for the new damage system which will break off armor plates instead.

If you are feeling spicy, give it a shot and let us know what you think!

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #972 on: September 05, 2019, 04:15:13 PM »
Tried the new build and...

• Eliminated a source of garbage in the miniscript handler we built for the game (not in Miniscript itself!).  This should reduce stuttering due to garbage collection for user-created robots.  kix, I believe this is the source of the jankiness you were seeing for the past few builds.  Let me know if it is still there!
Stuttering is gone, fps is as is, i limited it and it doesnt affect the physics

• Removed the really annoying cyan-tinted albedo texture from steel and aluminum.  This should make it easier to match colors.

Thank god XD

• Reduced friction on all physics materials except for rubber.  Hopefully this makes robots easier to drive and more realistic.  Please let me know if things can slide easily enough.  I can reduce friction a little more if it is necessary.

Yeah no, bots still bounce. Maybe its not the friction of materials, Try using the pit floor stats on the arena floor

• Eliminated the ability to break off objects.  This is in preparation for the new damage system which will break off armor plates instead.

About that...

I guess pulleys are not fixed

Offline WhamettNuht

• Rep: 12
  • Robot Building Drag Queen
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: WhamettNuht #1457
« Reply #973 on: September 05, 2019, 04:26:57 PM »
Brilliant work on getting updates out to us in good timing.
Few things after playing the new update:

-Game feels a little bit less sluggish. Laptop doesn't heat up as much now lol.
-YES. C'MON GEARBOXES!!!
-Cyan tint is now gone and it is BEAUTIFUL. As a replica builder, it is highly welcomed.
-The friction has definitely been reduced at points. The practice box is now like driving in an ice rink. The test arena is definitely still quite high in friction for my bots that have back ended wheels. (Eruption, Apollo, Firestorm, ect.) I have found though that adding a sphere to the free axel to make a ball caster helps massively though. Idea for a new feature? Agree with Kix though about the pit floor.
Talking about the pit floor though - I have found that when AI bots drive over the closed pit, they then take to driving in endless circles like they've lost all other bots and dunno where to go? It's not until I push them away off of it that they go back to fighting normally.
-Not sure what was stopped from breaking.... I find that pulley systems still break off quite easily. It's good in some cases but when some of my bots near enough fully rely on what's attached to the pulley, it can be annoying (full body spinners, for example).

It's good to see the game is constantly evolving though. Keep up the great work!
Damn I should probably put something fancy in this bit huh?

Offline Arcane

• The Mildly Pretentious
  • Lightweight
  • Rep: 9
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #974 on: September 05, 2019, 04:45:36 PM »
I haven't played around with the new build too much yet but I have noticed a quality of life downgrade whereby if you resize a component that has other components attached/linked to it, then it moves all the attached components by a large amount and often in different directions as opposed to moving them a small fraction like it used it in previous builds.

Basically makes resizing components a re-positioning nightmare.

The gearboxes sounds brilliant though, as always with these updates I'm really excited to see where this game goes.

Offline Tashic

« Reply #975 on: September 06, 2019, 04:35:04 AM »
I haven't played around with the new build too much yet but I have noticed a quality of life downgrade whereby if you resize a component that has other components attached/linked to it, then it moves all the attached components by a large amount and often in different directions as opposed to moving them a small fraction like it used it in previous builds.

The gearboxes sounds brilliant though, as always with these updates I'm really excited to see where this game goes.

Oh darn, in what situation does the scaling problems occur? Could you send the bot as well? So I can see exactly what situation you are having problems with.
Might have messed that up when I reworked a part of the code to reduce redundancy.

Offline Witherana

• The Man
  • Antweight
  • Hm, what am i doing here
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #976 on: September 06, 2019, 05:40:27 AM »

Have you tried using a pulley?  None of the larger motors have any gearing.  It might take some tweaking, but you should be able to get a weapon that spins up.

Also, make sure your weapon doesn’t rest on the floor.

Lastly, no motors in existence could get a Deep Six sized weapon up to 10,000 RPM.  At that RPM, the weapon would be supersonic.  I have modeled this in game by increasing air drag exponentially as you approach Mach 1.  Edit:  We did put in an ME0708.  It has about as much power as you are going to see in a heavyweight.  You can gear it for high torque with pulleys or chains, but you will be trading off top speed when you do it.

I did use a pulley but it like is glitch. It spins at like 1 rpm ans says the max rpm is 0. I think the game just doesnt like it.
Been doing this for 8 years...

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #977 on: September 06, 2019, 06:15:26 AM »
Hmm.  It shouldn’t glitch like that.  Would you mind sending me the .RR2Bot file so I can take a look to see why the weapon won’t spin?

Offline Arcane

• The Mildly Pretentious
  • Lightweight
  • Rep: 9
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #978 on: September 06, 2019, 06:22:03 AM »

Oh darn, in what situation does the scaling problems occur? Could you send the bot as well? So I can see exactly what situation you are having problems with.
Might have messed that up when I reworked a part of the code to reduce redundancy.

15655CDE-F521-4A1F-9905-C0850FEA0E11.jpeg

All the component were lined up in place on this Basilisk replica, I clicked on the one part of the flipper panel to make it 0.05 wider and any attached components (and even some non attached) repositioned themselves in a clump together. In the past it would only slightly move any attached component out of alignment by 0.1 whereas this build of the game is drastically moving pieces around.

It’s not limited to just one bot either as it’s been a repeatable issue on any bot I try to amend in this latest build.

I can send you over a bot file once I’m back home if it’s of any help.

Offline Tashic

« Reply #979 on: September 07, 2019, 07:39:50 AM »

[ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]  

All the component were lined up in place on this Basilisk replica, I clicked on the one part of the flipper panel to make it 0.05 wider and any attached components (and even some non attached) repositioned themselves in a clump together. In the past it would only slightly move any attached component out of alignment by 0.1 whereas this build of the game is drastically moving pieces around.

It’s not limited to just one bot either as it’s been a repeatable issue on any bot I try to amend in this latest build.

I can send you over a bot file once I’m back home if it’s of any help.

Yes, if possible send the bot file, I would be able to better check exactly what's going on.