Poll

What do you like doing most in RA2/RA3/robot combat games?

Building robots
Local single player battles with manually-controlled robots
Local multiplayer battles  with manually-controlled robots (PvP with controllers or a shared keyboard)
AI-only tournament battles
Other?  Please comment below.

Author Topic: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development  (Read 187399 times)

Offline WhamettNuht

• Rep: 12
  • Robot Building Drag Queen
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: WhamettNuht #1457
Re: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development
« Reply #640 on: July 05, 2019, 04:11:10 PM »

Its a little impractical, but is something like this what you had in mind?

Not quite... I was thinking more along the lines of how a lot of four wheel drive robots work, with two motors connected to two sets of belt systems, in turn powering four wheels in parallels of two. (I could draw up a quick diagram if that helps??)

I love seeing what you did there though! It's gonna be perfect for drum spinners and dual vertical spinners!
Damn I should probably put something fancy in this bit huh?

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #641 on: July 05, 2019, 04:14:45 PM »

Its a little impractical, but is something like this what you had in mind?

Not quite... I was thinking more along the lines of how a lot of four wheel drive robots work, with two motors connected to two sets of belt systems, in turn powering four wheels in parallels of two. (I could draw up a quick diagram if that helps??)

I love seeing what you did there though! It's gonna be perfect for drum spinners and dual vertical spinners!

Gotcha!  Here's the BattleKits Middle Weight configuration:

http://www.battlekits.com

I just tried it, and the system isn't set up to do that yet, but @tashic tells me that it is on his list of things to make work.

In this version, if a pulley is attached, it can be the only thing attached to a motor.

Offline WhamettNuht

• Rep: 12
  • Robot Building Drag Queen
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: WhamettNuht #1457
« Reply #642 on: July 05, 2019, 04:17:48 PM »
Yes! Exactly like those! (Apologies - work has been a stress fest this week; my mind is barely hanging on at this point haha!)

Ah I see no problem! I was only asking out of curiosity haha! Still living for what you've displayed though, your entire team and you are doing an AMAZING job!
Damn I should probably put something fancy in this bit huh?

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #643 on: July 05, 2019, 05:45:57 PM »
Would like something like this

Illustration 100 fellas

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #644 on: July 05, 2019, 05:48:01 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)
Illustration 100 fellas

I’ll give it a shot tonight.  :smile:

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #645 on: July 05, 2019, 09:31:03 PM »
Illustration 100 fellas

I just thought about it a little more, and it looks like you are looking for a crown gear or bevel gear.  No way to do that, and we hadn’t really planned on it...

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #646 on: July 05, 2019, 09:39:05 PM »
Illustration 100 fellas

I just thought about it a little more, and it looks like you are looking for a crown gear or bevel gear.  No way to do that, and we hadn’t really planned on it...

You might be able to accomplish the same space-saving effect with a pancake motor though.  We can pretty easily put a flatter motor in the game.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #647 on: July 06, 2019, 06:01:05 AM »
Illustration 100 fellas

You might be able to accomplish the same space-saving effect with a pancake motor though.  We can pretty easily put a flatter motor in the game.
yeah, as current motors are not Hori spinner friendly

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #648 on: July 06, 2019, 11:27:57 AM »
Illustration 100 fellas

yeah, as current motors are not Hori spinner friendly

Agreed.  I try to put together a shorter motor or two this week.  Anyone have any preference for weapon motors?  I am looking at something Etek-compatible currently.  At a minimum I should be able to come up with a mock-up of the right dimensions, weight, and motor characteristics.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #649 on: July 06, 2019, 11:36:19 AM »
Arent LEM motors thin and wide? Idk if they are drive motors tho

Offline F1Krazy

• Put me on a pedestal and I'll only disappoint you
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 4
  • Tell me I'm exceptional, I promise to exploit you
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #650 on: July 06, 2019, 11:46:53 AM »
Anyone have any preference for weapon motors?  I am looking at something Etek-compatible currently.  At a minimum I should be able to come up with a mock-up of the right dimensions, weight, and motor characteristics.
Just a nice variety of shapes, sizes, and power levels, rather than the two (plus BW motor) that we have currently. Etek and pancake motors would be nice, maybe also an R-shaped one like the TWM3R in DSL. NPCs, too, maybe?

Also, just a small thing, but would it be possible to put the motors' performance stats (like horsepower and torque) in their descriptions? Or are you going to wait until their stats have been finalised before doing something like that?

IIRC, they're about the same diameter as an Etek, but slightly thinner. Storm 2 used LEMs as drive motors at one point, but they're heavy enough that you'd need WhammetNuht's system of "one motor powering two/three wheels" for them to be practical in an RR2 rammer.
My DSL Showcase

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #651 on: July 06, 2019, 11:51:35 AM »
IIRC, they're about the same diameter as an Etek, but slightly thinner. Storm 2 used LEMs as drive motors at one point, but they're heavy enough that you'd need WhammetNuht's system of "one motor powering two/three wheels" for them to be practical in an RR2 rammer.
Just looked up lems. I thought they were actually huge, but i see they have variety. Nice

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #652 on: July 06, 2019, 12:30:00 PM »

Just a nice variety of shapes, sizes, and power levels, rather than the two (plus BW motor) that we have currently. Etek and pancake motors would be nice, maybe also an R-shaped one like the TWM3R in DSL. NPCs, too, maybe?

Also, just a small thing, but would it be possible to put the motors' performance stats (like horsepower and torque) in their descriptions? Or are you going to wait until their stats have been finalised before doing something like that?

Will do.

You are correct about the reason for not putting specs in the description.  Up until now I have been fudging numbers all over the place to get everything to work.  Now that the spinner blur is functional, it is possible to simulate real-life speeds.  A motor spins a bar at 3000 RPM?  No problem.  The question now becomes which specs to include.  Do we got full on simulation, with Kv values, or do we just do something simple like power at rated voltage?  What about torque?  Weapon tip speed at full spin-up?  Kinetic energy?

Maybe there is a kinetic energy, RPM, and tip speed meter in the test cage that allows you to see the numbers as you spin up, just like you would have when bench-testing a real robot?

Offline F1Krazy

• Put me on a pedestal and I'll only disappoint you
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 4
  • Tell me I'm exceptional, I promise to exploit you
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #653 on: July 06, 2019, 01:50:16 PM »

Will do.

You are correct about the reason for not putting specs in the description.  Up until now I have been fudging numbers all over the place to get everything to work.  Now that the spinner blur is functional, it is possible to simulate real-life speeds.  A motor spins a bar at 3000 RPM?  No problem.  The question now becomes which specs to include.  Do we got full on simulation, with Kv values, or do we just do something simple like power at rated voltage?  What about torque?  Weapon tip speed at full spin-up?  Kinetic energy?

Maybe there is a kinetic energy, RPM, and tip speed meter in the test cage that allows you to see the numbers as you spin up, just like you would have when bench-testing a real robot?
Oooh, that'd be handy. We'd potentially then be able to set tip speed limits for tournaments, like Extreme Robots and (IIRC) Battlebots have. Might help balance out the meta a bit. How would you differentiate between weapon motors and drive motors for those meters, though?
My DSL Showcase

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #654 on: July 06, 2019, 04:02:24 PM »
Oooh, that'd be handy. We'd potentially then be able to set tip speed limits for tournaments, like Extreme Robots and (IIRC) Battlebots have. Might help balance out the meta a bit. How would you differentiate between weapon motors and drive motors for those meters, though?

That’s on my list for Monday.  I was thinking of adding a “wheel” tag to wheels so that it knows to not consider a wheel a weapon if the wheel is properly attached to the motor or pulley.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #655 on: July 09, 2019, 02:16:35 PM »

That’s on my list for Monday.  I was thinking of adding a “wheel” tag to wheels so that it knows to not consider a wheel a weapon if the wheel is properly attached to the motor or pulley.

How about this?  :smile:

Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 2.11.36 PM.png

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #656 on: July 09, 2019, 02:52:26 PM »

bullgif.gif

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #657 on: July 09, 2019, 07:14:56 PM »
Hey guys.  Another free public alpha is coming out by the beginning of next week.  For this build:

1. Massive spinner update.
2. Pulleys.
3. Flippers.

We have reworked physics so that everything is energy-based.  As shown in the GIF above, you can get a handy realtime readout of your spinner’s energy in the test cage.  This should be handy if you are using the game to prototype designs for your real-life robots.  My plan is to use energy for damage too, but I’m not sure if that will be ready for this build.

Not shown in the GIF: The theoretical maximum kinetic energy for a spinner will be displayed too, if you want to design a tournament with energy limits.  It is also handy to see how much your design is losing to friction.

Offline [cringey name goes here]

• Supah Kickah
  • Rep: -4
  • coolest monkey in the jungle 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #658 on: July 09, 2019, 07:32:38 PM »
I'm insanely hyped for this!
please eat something that you're allergic to, in excessive ammounts
:sweat-smile: sadness anxiety insanity and chaos some people choose 1 or 2 me i choose all 4 :sweat-smile:
funniest user 2020

Offline Wambo

• Beetleweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #659 on: July 10, 2019, 09:07:08 AM »
This game is so cool! It is like RA3, but every mistake has been fixed. (those were a lot of mistakes)