Poll

What do you like doing most in RA2/RA3/robot combat games?

Building robots
Local single player battles with manually-controlled robots
Local multiplayer battles  with manually-controlled robots (PvP with controllers or a shared keyboard)
AI-only tournament battles
Other?  Please comment below.

Author Topic: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development  (Read 187440 times)

Offline Team Code Red Robotics

• Based
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -10
  • Based
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: Code#4035
Re: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development
« Reply #480 on: April 11, 2019, 05:56:34 PM »
Been messing around in RR2 trying to learn the ropes of the botlab and everything, and have been having some fun trying to recreate my RA2 bots.

I did Speed Demon, and a rudimentary version of Sabre first, and put them up against each other in an AI vs AI fight (pretty cool that the AI just automatically knew how to drive them with 0 messing around too )

Then this fight got me wondering if there was any way to make some kind of flipper with what's currently in the game (no pneumatics etc), so I got talking to Hoppin, and dabbling around with spin motors, and I managed to get something to work. It's super weak (kinda series 3 Firestorm levels of power) but it's enough to overturn other bots, and it should work for self righting too (though in this clip Earthquake sitting on top of me prevented that). It won't work with AI, but for player driven bots having a way to make even a super weak flipper is pretty neat I thought.

Dayum even on this Sabare seems to outwedge an opponent with ease. Speed Demon looks nice too.
My question is: Has he AId it to do the Bocuma spin?
Based

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Rep: 10
  • -rep TheRoboteer. "queermint"
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Hoppin#0013
« Reply #481 on: April 11, 2019, 06:37:37 PM »
Been messing around in RR2 trying to learn the ropes of the botlab and everything, and have been having some fun trying to recreate my RA2 bots.

I did Speed Demon, and a rudimentary version of Sabre first, and put them up against each other in an AI vs AI fight (pretty cool that the AI just automatically knew how to drive them with 0 messing around too )

Then this fight got me wondering if there was any way to make some kind of flipper with what's currently in the game (no pneumatics etc), so I got talking to Hoppin, and dabbling around with spin motors, and I managed to get something to work. It's super weak (kinda series 3 Firestorm levels of power) but it's enough to overturn other bots, and it should work for self righting too (though in this clip Earthquake sitting on top of me prevented that). It won't work with AI, but for player driven bots having a way to make even a super weak flipper is pretty neat I thought.

Cracking stuff my guy

Hiya, after playing for what had been a great night, I've got some feedback.

Is there a way to wire srimechs, this would be greatly appreciated haha! I've just been dragging around a floppy piece of metal for when I fight lmao, on top of this, the ability to choose our button inputs would be a great feature. A small ui tweak I'd recommend is moving the "eliminated" and "win" text to the top of the screen, it gets in the way of match and seeing the action.

I'd also suggest adding a way to rotate robots forward direction, unless this is already in, then how? :really_makes_you_think:.

An option to adjust the volume of the announcer guy, he's proper loud for my liking.

When zooming in to focus on building, it gets blurry

Been noticing some ai issues, general ai stopping, not srimeching, etc. Specifically for me; Earthquake, TR2, Ballerina & Manta.

Been really enjoying it as my recent posts tell, thanks guys

Lots of Love, Hoppin
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 07:11:36 PM by Hoppin »
Things I did & done

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #482 on: April 12, 2019, 10:49:10 AM »
Robo made a great breaktrough
tried few stuff
2 motor flipper is not bad ngl, more of a lifter but still

Tried adding counterweights to the rear, but no luck, flipper would not close.
Grabbers wont work, becasue the motor actually retracts for some reason
Also axes work...

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #483 on: April 12, 2019, 11:25:44 AM »
Oh yeah... Double post, but uhh...

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #484 on: April 12, 2019, 01:25:01 PM »

WELL DONE!!!!

So awesome!

I had no idea this was even a thing!

I take it that this is Parsec?  Is there something I can do to make it work better?

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #485 on: April 12, 2019, 01:49:38 PM »

WELL DONE!!!!

So awesome!

I take it that this is Parsec?  Is there something I can do to make it work better?

Yeah it is parsec. Generally, everything is fine, maybe add a timer?

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #486 on: April 12, 2019, 01:50:31 PM »

WELL DONE!!!!

So awesome!

Other than continuing development on the game, nothing much. A lot of the issues are either going to be ironed out, or on parsec ends

Possibly a match timer would be great to help keep track of stuff.
Things I did & done

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #487 on: April 12, 2019, 04:39:15 PM »
Well not even a full day and we got a new type of flipper:

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #488 on: April 12, 2019, 04:44:05 PM »

storm 2 is the rightful winner of robot wars series 7

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #489 on: April 12, 2019, 08:28:27 PM »

Wowsers!  That is effective!  Nice work.

Offline powerrave

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #490 on: April 13, 2019, 03:08:52 AM »
I've downloaded the alpha now and toyed around a little bit. Looks like good fun with quite some building options and freedom. First bot I made might be a bit too light or something? I dunno. Sometimes when just driving forward it decides to turn on its own.

I do wonder... Why when I choose to make a new bot was there some axe bot being spawned in the area, that could even be controlled there?
"Always be yourself, unless you're a loser"

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #491 on: April 13, 2019, 03:55:23 AM »
I've downloaded the alpha now and toyed around a little bit. Looks like good fun with quite some building options and freedom. First bot I made might be a bit too light or something? I dunno. Sometimes when just driving forward it decides to turn on its own.

I do wonder... Why when I choose to make a new bot was there some axe bot being spawned in the area, that could even be controlled there?
Yeah there is Royal Bobby (axebot)

Also turn on motor braking for drive, its a godsend

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #492 on: April 13, 2019, 08:07:33 AM »

As far as the robot feeling too light, I’m planning to go back and look at physics again once everything is working in the botlab.  The goal is to be able to support all of the real-life weight classes, from antweight to super heavyweight.  It is going to take some serious tuning to get it right.

The single player game needs to feel like you are fighting in real-life tournaments: Bugglebots, Motorama, Sparkfun AVC, etc.  There is a lot of physics “feel” work that needs to be done over the summer to meet this goal.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #493 on: April 13, 2019, 09:22:41 AM »

Also, what do you guys think of doing electronic stability control to help drive in a straight line for keyboard control?  It isn’t hard to implement, but is it too much?

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #494 on: April 13, 2019, 09:53:46 AM »

Also, what do you guys think of doing electronic stability control to help drive in a straight line for keyboard control?  It isn’t hard to implement, but is it too much?

We'd probably have to give that a test, it certainly sounds interesting. Personally I'm ok with driving as is atm, even without motor braking.
Things I did & done

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #495 on: April 13, 2019, 10:06:04 AM »

We'd probably have to give that a test, it certainly sounds interesting. Personally I'm ok with driving as is atm, even without motor braking.
I agree, playtesting will be the best option, although i am a bit sceptical

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #496 on: April 13, 2019, 11:08:33 AM »

Sounds good.  I’ll hold off on it unless we need it.  Also, be sure to try game controllers if have them.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #497 on: April 13, 2019, 01:58:19 PM »
Sounds good.  I’ll hold off on it unless we need it.  Also, be sure to try game controllers if have them.
Trued with a controller. Honestly not my style, but it will be useful for irl bot builders

Offline F1Krazy

• Put me on a pedestal and I'll only disappoint you
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 4
  • Tell me I'm exceptional, I promise to exploit you
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #498 on: April 13, 2019, 02:25:00 PM »
Is it just me, or does the settings menu not actually work? I tried turning down the graphics settings, to try and make the bot lab run faster than 5FPS, and it didn't do anything. I closed the game and re-opened and it was back to the default settings.

The bot lab looks great so far, don't get me wrong, I just wish I had a better computer than my sh**ty six-year-old laptop so I could use it without immense lag.
My DSL Showcase

Offline powerrave

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #499 on: April 13, 2019, 02:54:20 PM »

I have no idea what the braking does here to be honest.
As for controller, I could try getting my PS3 controller to work on PC.

Right now with the simple bit I made it's not just that it'll start to turn to a side when driving forward and backward, but sometimes it'll also start to just spin in place.
"Always be yourself, unless you're a loser"