Poll

What do you like doing most in RA2/RA3/robot combat games?

Building robots
Local single player battles with manually-controlled robots
Local multiplayer battles  with manually-controlled robots (PvP with controllers or a shared keyboard)
AI-only tournament battles
Other?  Please comment below.

Author Topic: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development  (Read 187688 times)

Offline Redalert

• The inventor of Wandering Spinners and invincirammers
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -48
  • Yes, I’m an outsider.
    • View Profile
    • RedStorm's RA2 website
    • Awards
  • Discord: RedStorm
Re: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development
« Reply #440 on: April 04, 2019, 06:13:06 PM »
You must be some sort of guy with superpowers, ‘cause this game you’re making is mind-blowing.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #441 on: April 04, 2019, 09:30:31 PM »
You must be some sort of guy with superpowers, ‘cause this game you’re making is mind-blowing.

Thanks for that!

I don't have superpowers.  Our team does.  @tashic is a genius, @Anarchy_Fox is amazing, and @callumbigden makes everything look incredible.  I just direct traffic every now and then.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #442 on: April 05, 2019, 03:09:05 AM »
good progress, i cant drive my bots tho

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #443 on: April 05, 2019, 05:26:09 AM »

Uh oh.  That's not right.  Are you using the latest Alpha version 2.01?  What exactly is going wrong?

Offline Redalert

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Yes, I’m an outsider.
    • View Profile
    • RedStorm's RA2 website
    • Awards
« Reply #444 on: April 05, 2019, 05:47:22 AM »
Hey, Kix. I can send you a download of the latest version, if you want it...

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #445 on: April 06, 2019, 02:26:43 PM »
ra2's successor is finally here

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #446 on: April 06, 2019, 04:39:34 PM »

We’re trying!  Hopefully by launch time we are worthy.

Speaking of that, I am looking to put together a team of RA2 AI experts to work on the usability of the RR2 AI system.  My goal is to capture all of the possible inputs a player want to have for their robot’s AI. 

Any recommendations on who I should ask for help?

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
  • Rep: 9
  • "I HATE SEBASTIAN COE!"
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: TheRoboteer#8784
« Reply #447 on: April 06, 2019, 04:44:10 PM »

Speaking of that, I am looking to put together a team of RA2 AI experts to work on the usability of the RR2 AI system.  My goal is to capture all of the possible inputs a player want to have for their robot’s AI. 

Apanx would undoubtedly be the first guy you should go to on that front
Notable Tournament Performances:
The Beginner's Guide to IRL:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/tutorials-and-tips/irl-a-beginner's-guide

Offline Billy5545

• Best Newcomer 2018
  • Rep: 4
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Kendor#3191
« Reply #448 on: April 06, 2019, 05:25:17 PM »
Just saying, but i may still play RA2 and host tournaments on there after RR2. Like, RR2 is great, but RA2 also feels like a good classic to me, and Idk if my laptop will lag running RR2 or not

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #449 on: April 06, 2019, 06:07:10 PM »

Uh oh.  That's not right.  Are you using the latest Alpha version 2.01?  What exactly is going wrong?
I wire them up, but they dont move in test area or battles

i mean its pretty much the same as the one i downloaded

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
« Reply #450 on: April 06, 2019, 07:36:40 PM »
booted up the new demo, some bugs ive found

-manta's flipper and bubblegum in general are rather buggy and like to clip their parts into each other leading to physics weirdness
-bubblegum and crippling depression's weapons spin the wrong direction
-ai robots seem to have a problem navigating around the pit cover? like when they drive over it they seem to be stuck navigating in that one small square until another robot pushes them out
-spinner sound effects do not stop when a match is restarted, leading to the same sfx being overlayed multiple times
-ai flippers cannot self-right
-royal robby's axe retracts too fast for its own good imo
-floor spikes seem to do too much damage
-ive had matches where ballerina's weapon won't spin, for some reason. i think this has something to do with the aforementioned sfx bug

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #451 on: April 07, 2019, 07:09:36 AM »

I'm not sure if you saw this on the other thread, but maybe this will help?  Double posting the instructions here.  Please let me know if this doesn't work for you, and we will do some more advanced troubleshooting.

@tashic is working on motor wiring now.  It is complicated, and taking a while to sort through.

Stuff that should work right now:

1. Attach a couple of AmpFlow motors, one or the left wheel and one for the right wheel.
2. Attach wheels to the motor attachment points.  You will probably need to rotate the view to get the wheels to snap to the axles.
3. Go over a few screens to the "Controls" tab.  Select the motor on the left side of the screen, and click "Left Drive Motor".  Select the motor on the right side of the screen and click "Right Drive Motor".  The game assumes that the forward direction for the robot is forward the rusty green lathe in the back of the room.
4. Click on the game controller icon at the top of the screen to test the controls.
5. Use WASD to drive.

Offline Redalert

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Yes, I’m an outsider.
    • View Profile
    • RedStorm's RA2 website
    • Awards
« Reply #452 on: April 07, 2019, 07:13:12 AM »

I'm not sure if you saw this on the other thread, but maybe this will help?  Double posting the instructions here.  Please let me know if this doesn't work for you, and we will do some more advanced troubleshooting.

@tashic is working on motor wiring now.  It is complicated, and taking a while to sort through.

1. Attach a couple of AmpFlow motors, one or the left wheel and one for the right wheel.
2. Attach wheels to the motor attachment points.  You will probably need to rotate the view to get the wheels to snap to the axles.
3. Go over a few screens to the "Controls" tab.  Select the motor on the left side of the screen, and click "Left Drive Motor".  Select the motor on the right side of the screen and click "Right Drive Motor".  The game assumes that the forward direction for the robot is forward the rusty green lathe in the back of the room.
4. Click on the game controller icon at the top of the screen to test the controls.
5. Use WASD to drive.

^what he said.^
Oh, and I use a toggle switch for spinners.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #453 on: April 07, 2019, 07:30:05 AM »
Just saying, but i may still play RA2 and host tournaments on there after RR2. Like, RR2 is great, but RA2 also feels like a good classic to me, and Idk if my laptop will lag running RR2 or not

I totally respect that.  RA2 is awesome.  It has an incredible community with unheard-of longevity.

I wouldn't give up on the laptop though.  I'm doing all of my game dev on a laptop, and am targeting a 2013 MacBook Air with 8 GB of RAM as the minimum.  Would you mind trying the game on your laptop and letting us know how it goes?

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #454 on: April 07, 2019, 07:35:56 AM »
booted up the new demo, some bugs ive found

-manta's flipper and bubblegum in general are rather buggy and like to clip their parts into each other leading to physics weirdness
-bubblegum and crippling depression's weapons spin the wrong direction
-ai robots seem to have a problem navigating around the pit cover? like when they drive over it they seem to be stuck navigating in that one small square until another robot pushes them out
-spinner sound effects do not stop when a match is restarted, leading to the same sfx being overlayed multiple times
-ai flippers cannot self-right
-royal robby's axe retracts too fast for its own good imo
-floor spikes seem to do too much damage
-ive had matches where ballerina's weapon won't spin, for some reason. i think this has something to do with the aforementioned sfx bug

Thanks for the feedback!  I've posted all of these on Trello.

Out of all of these, AI flipper self-righting is fixed for an internal build, and should be for the next public release.  We should be able to get to most of the rest as well.

Offline Billy5545

• Best Newcomer 2018
  • Rep: 4
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Kendor#3191
« Reply #455 on: April 07, 2019, 07:37:36 AM »

I totally respect that.  RA2 is awesome.  It has an incredible community with unheard-of longevity.

I wouldn't give up on the laptop though.  I'm doing all of my game dev on a laptop, and am targeting a 2013 MacBook Air with 8 GB of RAM as the minimum.  Would you mind trying the game on your laptop and letting us know how it goes?
I can play the game on Internet site right? Because I haven't tried it yet as I assume I have to download for it, and I don't want to download updates a lot every time a new version comes out tbh, considering the stage of the game now. If it's Internet though, I may be able to try on late April, because RL stuff

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #456 on: April 07, 2019, 07:38:02 AM »

Apanx would undoubtedly be the first guy you should go to on that front

Thanks for the recommendation!

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #457 on: April 07, 2019, 07:49:52 AM »

I can play the game on Internet site right? Because I haven't tried it yet as I assume I have to download for it, and I don't want to download updates a lot every time a new version comes out tbh, considering the stage of the game now. If it's Internet though, I may be able to try on late April, because RL stuff

Unfortunately, no.  We don't have a browser version of the RR2.  I originally wanted to do this, as I do most of my work in Construct 2/3, and the original "Robot Rumble" was built for the web.  RR2 is a native-only app for Windows and Mac.

The game works now, but we are making a ton of changes to it.  The AI coding screen is coming along nicely, and I'm hoping to put out another public Alpha before the end of April.

If you want something more stable, be sure to sign up for the closed Beta (this summer??? maybe???).  We should be "feature complete" (a term I use loosely) by then.  Just don't wait too long -- the longer you wait, the less likely we will be able to fix any issues that you find.

To sign up for the closed beta, head over to our website at www.robot-rumble.com.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #458 on: April 07, 2019, 08:34:55 AM »

5. Use WASD to drive.
Ive seen it, dw i have done it, yet to no avail

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #459 on: April 07, 2019, 08:37:31 AM »

5. Use WASD to drive.
Ive seen it, dw i have done it, yet to no avail

Drat.  I was hoping it was as simple as the above.  At what point in these instructions did the failure occur?