Poll

What do you like doing most in RA2/RA3/robot combat games?

Building robots
Local single player battles with manually-controlled robots
Local multiplayer battles  with manually-controlled robots (PvP with controllers or a shared keyboard)
AI-only tournament battles
Other?  Please comment below.

Author Topic: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development  (Read 187530 times)

Offline Redalert

• The inventor of Wandering Spinners and invincirammers
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -48
  • Yes, I’m an outsider.
    • View Profile
    • RedStorm's RA2 website
    • Awards
  • Discord: RedStorm
Re: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development
« Reply #360 on: December 11, 2018, 08:11:45 PM »
Only google laptops i know that exist are Chromebooks and Pixelbook.
They have Google OS and it isnt compatible with any windows program

Thank you.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #361 on: December 23, 2018, 09:25:02 AM »
New BotLab trailer is up!

New Steam page is up!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/884180/Robot_Rumble_2/

Merry Christmas. :)

Texture painting is now working, and we have a few more things to do with the robot workshop before we shift focus to asset production.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #362 on: December 23, 2018, 10:54:11 AM »
New BotLab trailer is up!

New Steam page is up!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/884180/Robot_Rumble_2/

Merry Christmas. :)

Texture painting is now working, and we have a few more things to do with the robot workshop before we shift focus to asset production.
The progress in the vid shown is huge next to first release of the game, keep up the work!
Seen the trailer, signed up for beta!

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #363 on: December 23, 2018, 11:04:19 AM »
impressed with the progress. can't wait.
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline WhatAmI

• help
  • Antweight
  • Rep: -9
  • nope
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #364 on: December 23, 2018, 12:04:53 PM »
Noice. I'll love to see what people can make with the BotLab.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #365 on: December 31, 2018, 06:55:36 AM »
I've been reading through Serge's mod to remove a bunch of built-in RA2 limitations in the thread below.  There is a discussion about whether or not the game should prevent components from intersecting each other.  It is currently on our list of things to implement for RR2, but we haven't done it yet.  It looks like a lot of people would rather have the component clipping check disabled, and just leave things up to whoever is running the tournament to make sure that robots are legal.

What do you think?  Should RR2 check to make sure you don't have one component intersecting with another component?

https://gametechmods.com/forums/modifications/robot-arena-2-component-freedom-(remove-7-component-limit!)/

PS - Serge, incredible work!  :beer:

Offline Billy5545

• Best Newcomer 2018
  • Rep: 4
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: Kendor#3191
« Reply #366 on: December 31, 2018, 07:00:24 AM »
I've been reading through Serge's mod to remove a bunch of built-in RA2 limitations in the thread below.  There is a discussion about whether or not the game should prevent components from intersecting each other.  It is currently on our list of things to implement for RR2, but we haven't done it yet.  It looks like a lot of people would rather have the component clipping check disabled, and just leave things up to whoever is running the tournament to make sure that robots are legal.

What do you think?  Should RR2 check to make sure you don't have one component intersecting with another component?

https://gametechmods.com/forums/modifications/robot-arena-2-component-freedom-(remove-7-component-limit!)/

I think it should be like how DSL-IRL RA2 tourneys are run. With the clipping allowed, but as long as it can be done in real life and extenders/plates that intersect can be cut IRL to give slot, allow things that otherwise won't be possible due to game limitation but possible in real life, and of course, no intersecting motors or batteries with another of those

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #367 on: December 31, 2018, 07:10:04 AM »

I think it should be like how DSL-IRL RA2 tourneys are run. With the clipping allowed, but as long as it can be done in real life and extenders/plates that intersect can be cut IRL to give slot, allow things that otherwise won't be possible due to game limitation but possible in real life, and of course, no intersecting motors or batteries with another of those

Would this work?:
1. Anything built using the shape builder, including both the shape designated to be the "chassis", as well as any additional shapes that are added, can be positioned anywhere and can clip anything.
2. Anything that is in the BotLab already as its own separate component (motors, batteries, electronics, wheels) will be prevented from clipping.(****We haven't implemented this yet.)
3. Any object can be attached to any surface of any other object.  If you attach anything to the axle of a motor, it will spin.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #368 on: December 31, 2018, 07:35:03 AM »
I think given the choice of one over the other, the game should definitely enforce a no-clipping rule, no doubt. It adds challenge to the game and is logical, first time/new players would probably get confused if the game let you put stuff anywhere at all, not to mention that it would make the game seem unpolished to the new player, I think. However it would be nice to have a noclip mode where we can place components wherever, maybe hidden being a cheat(bot2)/konami code or something. To ensure that people can't cheat with tournament entries or whatever, I think that enabling such a mode for a bot would have to add some sort of flag to the bot file to allow the user to see if the bot has been built 'legit' or not.
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #369 on: December 31, 2018, 11:08:49 AM »
please please please do NOT allow parts to clip. We already have one buggy game that does this when it never should have in the first place. We want to have to put thought into where components are placed, otherwise we might as well just build stuff in CAD.

PLEASE address the failings of ra2, dont mimic them for the sake of familiarity!
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #370 on: December 31, 2018, 12:31:05 PM »
please please please do NOT allow parts to clip. We already have one buggy game that does this when it never should have in the first place. We want to have to put thought into where components are placed, otherwise we might as well just build stuff in CAD.

PLEASE address the failings of ra2, dont mimic them for the sake of familiarity!

Roger!  I’ll take a look at it this weekend.   :smile:

We’re trying to figure out the CAD->RR2 workflow in parallel to this.

Offline WhatAmI

• help
  • Antweight
  • Rep: -9
  • nope
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #371 on: December 31, 2018, 12:35:35 PM »
There should be no clipping in RR2 because it is (an attempt of) a realism game. Clipping would clip (help me) the game out of the boundaries of realism.

Offline Somebody

• Rep: 13
  • CP: +2
    • SomebodyofGTM
    • View Profile
    • My site
    • Awards
« Reply #372 on: January 01, 2019, 01:18:27 PM »

A pretty standard output from all sorts of CAD packages is a .dxf file, which is generally a 2D output of a part. Being able to import .dxf files and set the scaling/sizing on them somehow, and extrude them to a given thickness, would be an amazing and easy to use tool in comparison to the usual process of getting new parts into RA2. Like I have a lot of spinning bar ideas that I'd love to test out, but don't want to spend the money/time/effort to test them in the limited environment of real robotics. This would let me do a great apples to apples comparison.
I built that big robot on that TV show that time

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #373 on: January 01, 2019, 03:00:27 PM »

A pretty standard output from all sorts of CAD packages is a .dxf file, which is generally a 2D output of a part. Being able to import .dxf files and set the scaling/sizing on them somehow, and extrude them to a given thickness, would be an amazing and easy to use tool in comparison to the usual process of getting new parts into RA2. Like I have a lot of spinning bar ideas that I'd love to test out, but don't want to spend the money/time/effort to test them in the limited environment of real robotics. This would let me do a great apples to apples comparison.

Sorry for the confusion!  Rather than "CAD->RR2 workflow", I should have said "3D surface modeling (Blender, Max, Maya, etc)->RR2 workflow".  At some point the CAD output needs to be converted into a bunch of low poly triangles for use in the game, and rather than reinventing the wheel, I would rather leverage software created by a professional. 

When I'm modeling parts for the game, I convert mechanical drawings to images, insert them as reference images in blender, then create a low-poly version using the 2D reference images.  I have tried bringing in parts created in TinkerCad and Fusion 360, but the geometries created by those programs are unsatisfactory for use in the game.  I'm hoping to get to the point where users can create stuff in Blender, pull it into a Unity project, export it as an asset bundle, then import it into RR2 for use in the robot workshop.  I haven't tried it yet, but this should work in principle.

Regarding using RR2 to test out new spinner shapes, be wary of the limitations of the physics engine.  A 6000 RPM spinner revolves at 100 revolutions per second.  Right now RR2's physics simulation is running at 400 updates per second, so the spinner would spin 90 degrees in between each update.  This creates all sorts of problems when it comes to collision detection and resolution.  As much as I would like to have a perfect spinner simulator, RR2 isn't going to be it.  Realistically speaking, I'm hoping to have something that my students can use to mock up ideas early on in their design process, to see how different robot styles might play against each other.

Offline Somebody

• Rep: 13
  • CP: +2
    • SomebodyofGTM
    • View Profile
    • My site
    • Awards
« Reply #374 on: January 01, 2019, 05:49:03 PM »

Sorry for the confusion!  Rather than "CAD->RR2 workflow", I should have said "3D surface modeling (Blender, Max, Maya, etc)->RR2 workflow".  At some point the CAD output needs to be converted into a bunch of low poly triangles for use in the game, and rather than reinventing the wheel, I would rather leverage software created by a professional. 

When I'm modeling parts for the game, I convert mechanical drawings to images, insert them as reference images in blender, then create a low-poly version using the 2D reference images.  I have tried bringing in parts created in TinkerCad and Fusion 360, but the geometries created by those programs are unsatisfactory for use in the game.  I'm hoping to get to the point where users can create stuff in Blender, pull it into a Unity project, export it as an asset bundle, then import it into RR2 for use in the robot workshop.  I haven't tried it yet, but this should work in principle.

Regarding using RR2 to test out new spinner shapes, be wary of the limitations of the physics engine.  A 6000 RPM spinner revolves at 100 revolutions per second.  Right now RR2's physics simulation is running at 400 updates per second, so the spinner would spin 90 degrees in between each update.  This creates all sorts of problems when it comes to collision detection and resolution.  As much as I would like to have a perfect spinner simulator, RR2 isn't going to be it.  Realistically speaking, I'm hoping to have something that my students can use to mock up ideas early on in their design process, to see how different robot styles might play against each other.

Ahhhhhh I see, it makes sense that it would be far too detailed of a model. Otherwise, I don't think we're doing anymore than 2000 on the real robot, but even then it would still likely be too fast. Either way, I'm excited to play with it as it progresses.
I built that big robot on that TV show that time

Offline Hercules

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
  • The Argentinian member that loves chicken
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #375 on: January 20, 2019, 10:49:22 PM »
This looks so professionally done, can`t wait to play this

Click us!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #376 on: January 21, 2019, 06:25:11 AM »
This looks so professionally done, can`t wait to play this

Thank you!  It is a labor of love.

I’m hoping to have more updates soon.  @tashic is hard at work doing the UX for servo motors, I’m reworking the damage system (2, and potentially 3 types of damage), @anarchy_fox is modeling new robots, and our sound engineer is working on making everything sound good.  We are all part-timers, and it is amazing that it is all coming together.  It just goes to show the strength of this community.

I’m working on the game for a good chunk of the day today, and should be able to do an update in the next 10 hours or so.

Offline Redalert

• The inventor of Wandering Spinners and invincirammers
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -48
  • Yes, I’m an outsider.
    • View Profile
    • RedStorm's RA2 website
    • Awards
  • Discord: RedStorm
« Reply #377 on: January 21, 2019, 06:53:13 AM »
This is gonna be GOOD.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #378 on: January 21, 2019, 01:43:19 PM »
Two new screenshots, hot off the presses:

1. The first is @tashic's work on setting servo motor limits.  The slider lets you adjust start and end limits.

As a bonus, this screenshot also includes daisy-chained motors: motor -> 12" wheel with a motor attached -> 12" wheel with a motor attached:

2. The second screenshot shows the new "RR2 Component Tool".  This tool will allow users to create component designs in a separate Unity project (Unity is now a free download for Windows and Mac), export them as asset bundles, then import them into the game.  It is possible to export designs as asset bundles, but it isn't yet possible to import them into the game.  Once we get motor scripts sorted, this is next on my to-do list.  I would like to eventually make all game assets using this tool, then put the tool on GitHub as a free download.

Let us know what you think!

Offline F1Krazy

• Put me on a pedestal and I'll only disappoint you
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 4
  • Tell me I'm exceptional, I promise to exploit you
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #379 on: January 21, 2019, 03:41:36 PM »
Free component-modding tools? Shut up and take my money!

Could you elaborate on the "daisy-chaining", though? I'm not sure how that's supposed to work.
My DSL Showcase