Poll

What do you like doing most in RA2/RA3/robot combat games?

Building robots
Local single player battles with manually-controlled robots
Local multiplayer battles  with manually-controlled robots (PvP with controllers or a shared keyboard)
AI-only tournament battles
Other?  Please comment below.

Author Topic: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development  (Read 187691 times)

Offline Wambo

• Beetleweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development
« Reply #940 on: August 24, 2019, 07:02:23 PM »
I played the new bleeding build and the only thing I found is, that the robots keep loosing wheels because of nothing

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #941 on: August 24, 2019, 07:18:01 PM »
I think I may have found a bug. The newest version worked fine the first time I opened it however on the second time I now can’t select any buttons from the main menu.

Very weird.  One of the bleeding edge builds?

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #942 on: August 24, 2019, 07:42:19 PM »
Played the new build, here are some of my thoughts:
-Intersection is as is. Dont have much opinions rn in condition as is
-I have noticed that you have added spinner sound (+other sounds) in test area, hopefully you add it in battles
-Bouncing is almost non-existant in battles. What did you do?
-Steering is still a bit eh for 2wd bots. Gonna try and change motors to see if that works
-Flippers still are too op, they tend to ohko bots with steel chassis
-Flippers also still lose hp when they flip opponents when they dont have full hp
-Build seems to be a lot more stable
-Motor axles are a bit too fragile

I’m not sure which bouncing you are referring to.  Spinners or non-spinning things?

Poor steering still means friction is set too high.  I can lower it a little.

Flippers are about twice as powerful as in real life.  I can definitely tone them down.

Good to hear about stability!  Thats the thing that worries me the most.

We can definitely adjust the way axles take damage.  I almost feel like we might be able to get rid of axle breakage, depending on how much we like being able to chip away at stuff with the new damage system.  Of course, it doesn’t exist yet, so who knows until it is in place.

Offline Arcane

• The Mildly Pretentious
  • Lightweight
  • Rep: 9
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #943 on: August 25, 2019, 02:55:36 AM »
I think I may have found a bug. The newest version worked fine the first time I opened it however on the second time I now can’t select any buttons from the main menu.

Very weird.  One of the bleeding edge builds?

Yeah the 20th August bleeding edge version. I have to delete the file and re-extract every time I use it otherwise the menu buttons get a case of stage fright. It doesn’t look like Kix is having this problem so at least it’s not a universal problem.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #944 on: August 25, 2019, 03:37:02 AM »
I’m not sure which bouncing you are referring to.  Spinners or non-spinning things?
Driving bouncing, you know, the issue we had for few builds now

Poor steering still means friction is set too high.  I can lower it a little.
i dont know how will that affect the driving/sliding, maybe its only one bot's issue, i do have noticed that the pit floor has perfect friction/material thp

Flippers are about twice as powerful as in real life.  I can definitely tone them down.
Its not about the power. Its about the fact that they deal too much damage. As for the power, its not bad, i have noticed if your flipper is a bit heavier, it will have more force/energy behind the flip

Good to hear about stability!  Thats the thing that worries me the most.
Only had one crash, but it was in test area, and with DB2

We can definitely adjust the way axles take damage.  I almost feel like we might be able to get rid of axle breakage, depending on how much we like being able to chip away at stuff with the new damage system.  Of course, it doesn’t exist yet, so who knows until it is in place.
maybe re-add it when damage starts to work?

Spinner wind up sound is apparently in fights, its just that they might be too quiet

Also one idea for the damage, maybe instead of the whole part falling off, sides (basically each side mesh of a cube, for an example) fall off?
Another idea. For the Momentary Switch for the burst motors, maybe have a second or 2 of delay after you press the button and release it the moment after, because currently they retract too fast

Offline calgoblin

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #945 on: August 25, 2019, 05:56:47 AM »
Yeah the 20th August bleeding edge version. I have to delete the file and re-extract every time I use it otherwise the menu buttons get a case of stage fright. It doesn’t look like Kix is having this problem so at least it’s not a universal problem.

What's your resolution out of interest? Far as I'm aware there wasn't any difference in the menu UI between these builds, did you have this issue on the Itch.io build also?

Spinner wind up sound is apparently in fights, its just that they might be too quiet

So right now it is just the motors making the audio. The actual spinner attachments do not yet make any noise as I'm battling with enough variation, randomisation, and development time (of which currently I can't put in anywhere near enough :()

Offline Arcane

• The Mildly Pretentious
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #946 on: August 25, 2019, 11:11:05 AM »

What's your resolution out of interest? Far as I'm aware there wasn't any difference in the menu UI between these builds, did you have this issue on the Itch.io build also?

Using full screen - 1680x1050 resolution. Never had the issue on any previous versions of the game. The buttons are visible but don’t do anything (I have to alt tab to close the game, can’t access settings, workshop or battle mode etc).

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #947 on: August 25, 2019, 03:38:34 PM »
Driving bouncing, you know, the issue we had for few builds now

The blur cylinder collider is no longer added to anything labeled as a wheel.  I probably need to change that to anything that has rubber on its farthest edge.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #948 on: August 25, 2019, 05:05:20 PM »

Also one idea for the damage, maybe instead of the whole part falling off, sides (basically each side mesh of a cube, for an example) fall off?

You got it!  That’s the whole idea behind the rework of the damage system.  In the 20AUGUST build, when you select a material for a face, you are actually affecting a 3D armor plate with thickness.  The next step is to make it possible to break the plate off.  So instead of the chassis having hit points, you break off the sodes of the chassis to expose the electronics and motors underneath.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #949 on: August 25, 2019, 05:18:23 PM »

Using full screen - 1680x1050 resolution. Never had the issue on any previous versions of the game. The buttons are visible but don’t do anything (I have to alt tab to close the game, can’t access settings, workshop or battle mode etc).

Shoot!  I’ll try to take a look tonight.  Mac or PC?

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #950 on: August 25, 2019, 05:47:09 PM »

Another idea. For the Momentary Switch for the burst motors, maybe have a second or 2 of delay after you press the button and release it the moment after, because currently they retract too fast

Hmm.  Maybe a user-configurable delay?  Motors respond instantly when voltage is applied, so the delay would be in software...

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #951 on: August 25, 2019, 09:40:17 PM »

I'm not having any luck replicating the problem on my Mac in either the built version or the editor.  I can try my Windows laptop tomorrow.

If you don't mind:

1. What kind of computer are you using?
2. What kind of GPU are you using?
3. What operating system are you using?

I can try making another build to see if it fixes the problem.  The symptoms are so strange, and I have absolutely no idea what we might have changed between 06AUGUST and 20AUGUST that would have caused the problem. 

Callum, is it possible that there is an issue with FMOD that is causing the buttons to not load?  Perhaps they are failing to find the necessary sounds assigned to the buttons, and so can't load the buttons themselves?

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #952 on: August 26, 2019, 12:16:56 AM »
Tbh i can say that the resolutions are a bit... ****y at the moment. 1080p resolution has cutoff and black bars on sides, which indicantes that its using 16:10 format. This is false because 1080p is 16:9 resolution and should not have black bars

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #953 on: August 26, 2019, 08:13:53 AM »

Just tried opening it a few times on my Windows laptop.  Things seemed to work fine.

Maybe the next step is to put out a new build.  It is possible that something might have been corrupted during the build process.

I'll try to get a new build out on Thursday.

Offline Arcane

• The Mildly Pretentious
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #954 on: August 27, 2019, 01:38:49 PM »

Just tried opening it a few times on my Windows laptop.  Things seemed to work fine.

Maybe the next step is to put out a new build.  It is possible that something might have been corrupted during the build process.

I'll try to get a new build out on Thursday.

So I think I’ve figured out what could be the issue as I’ve noticed my anti virus is deleting a certain file not long after I extract the folder. (Doesn’t tell me it’s done it either which is irritating). Bizarre that I’m still able to fully play the game once before it menu locks though.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #955 on: August 29, 2019, 05:53:27 PM »
New Bleeding Edge Test Build is out!

http://www.robot-rumble.com/bleedingedgebuilds/

The latest versions are the 29AUGUST2019 builds.

This new build has very few upgrades.  Mostly I wanted to see if a new build would solve Arcane's problem.

• Added a free rotating hinge and a 90 degree hinge to "Extras" tab in bot lab.

Please note that these hinges are super-preliminary at this point.  Don't design your robots to rely on them, because they will definitely change, and may break your .RR2Bot file in future builds.

Offline WhamettNuht

• Rep: 12
  • Robot Building Drag Queen
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: WhamettNuht #1457
« Reply #956 on: August 30, 2019, 03:07:02 AM »
YESS!! Can really use these hinges in some of my replica builds! (Both previous and upcoming).
Can't wait to try them out when I get home from work!
Damn I should probably put something fancy in this bit huh?

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #957 on: August 30, 2019, 04:38:45 AM »
Ngl, hinges are fine, havent tested the axle yet
Maybe add a rotation limit on the hinge?

NOTE: What i have noticed in the last few builds, my gpu is running constantly at 100% while playing this game
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 05:07:37 AM by kix »

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #958 on: August 30, 2019, 06:17:39 AM »

NOTE: What i have noticed in the last few builds, my gpu is running constantly at 100% while playing this game

Hmmm.  We will need to figure this out.  I noticed that my Windows laptop is getting random freezes, and was wondering if this was GPU related.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #959 on: August 30, 2019, 09:05:47 AM »

Hmmm.  We will need to figure this out.  I noticed that my Windows laptop is getting random freezes, and was wondering if this was GPU related.
I also did experience minor infrequent stutters